Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #2001  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning! I am feeling better this morning. I worked out for 30 minutes and I've made a comitment to myself to write down everything I eat no matter what.

Kathy- can't wait to see what you did! I need to take DD to the library sometime. She has so many books, but she always wants to read the same ones (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is her favorite!) I never think to go to the libarary.

Angie- your retreat sounds like fun!

Jen - enjoy your Pajama morning! That sounds like fun. I am on medication for thyroid and also PCOS. It was a relief to finally learn that there is something hindering my weight loss and for a while it made me more determined, now I am trying to get back to that point!

Lisa - I am going to use your pumpkin bar receipe for my class this weekend! Luckily I am having a good turn out, so there shouldn't be too many left overs!

I'm in the office today...must...get...work...done!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #2002  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad to hear you're on top of things, Crissy!
Working out definitely helps. I know that I will never be skinny. Never was - except in college - but I know that my heart and lungs are healthy and that's what really matters!
Can I convince you to try a sprint tri or 5K next summer? It's good to have a goal!! I'll be the exercise enabler!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM   #2003  
Hardware Hotshot

I've yo-yoed 25 lbs back and forth since I was in high school and right now, I am on the upward path, right in the middle of that 25 lbs. Hello my name is Paula and I am a classic emotional eater.

I used to think it was just that I liked food, but I learned the last time I lost it, that isn't the case at all, I just eat when I am sad, in pain, depressed, stressed or especially when I feel bad about myself or my life. When I feel like I am in control of my life, I control what I eat pretty well. But when I feel like something or someone else is controlling my time, energy and efforts, I eat and eat lots.

I do know last time I lost the weight it was all about counting calories and being completely honest about everything I put in my mouth. (No justifying a dozen cookies that just came out of the oven.) After I had my eating under control, I started exercising and then the weight really came off. But I was also in a very healthy emotional place then too.

So how to get to that healthy emotional place is the key for me. Don't see that happening in the next little while but hopefully I can find another outlet. Stamping or creating something is a great outlet, but not as quick a fix as a cookie and I don't need to turn my attention away from my kids to eat a cookie either.

OK. Probably shared way to much, but it felt good to get it off my chest.

And now I've spent too much time here and need to get back to my boys.

I wish you all peace on your weight loss journey and to the rest of you, have a wonderful day and I'll check in later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #2004  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenguinView Post
Glad to hear you're on top of things, Crissy!
Working out definitely helps. I know that I will never be skinny. Never was - except in college - but I know that my heart and lungs are healthy and that's what really matters!
Can I convince you to try a sprint tri or 5K next summer? It's good to have a goal!! I'll be the exercise enabler!!
I need an exercise enabler! I have actually signed up to do the Mini Marathon here in Indy. DH and I did it last year too. We walked it, but it was a huge morale booster for me. I was so happy when I crossed that finish line. That will be in May. My other motiviation is we are planning a 2 week camping trip next year to Yosemite and that area and I want to be able to enjoy it! I just need to remind myself of these things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #2005  
Mad Swapper

Crissy - good for you for exercising!

Jen - in my secret wishes, I would love to do a 5k. But that requires me to run. I have tried running off and on for a lot of years and never enjoyed it. I don't think I ever got fit enough, plus I would try running with my DH, who runs effortlessly, while I was wheezing for every breath.

I am thinking about trying again, tho. I have read about starting off with a few steps walking, then a few steps running and building up to more running than walking, then running. In theory it sounds good.

With some motivation and encouragement from my friends , I may even try it!

Paula, thanks for those good thoughts. Emotional stability is not easy for me, either. I, too, wish you peace in these days of upheaval at your home.

So now that this turn has started on the thread - I'm going to put down my laptop and hop on my gazelle (exercise thingy) for a half hour. I'll report when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #2006  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not a great runner at all!! I don't love it either. It is simpy a mean to an end - the finish line! LOL! I am a very strong swimmer and adequate on the bike - the hills get me and that's 50% physical and 75% mental!! LOL!

Here's a great training program for all of you - Couch to 5K:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I would highly recommend going to a running store for a new pair of sneakers. They will look at your old shoes, your stride and put you in a sneaker that fits you best. Mine only cost $80 - I would probably have gone for the most expensive all on my own. Plus if you belong to a Y or gym, some stores will give you a discount.

I would also recommend not working out with your husbands! They have much more muscle mass and O2 capabilities, so it is simply too frustrating for most.

The other thing - take it slow. Concentrate on keeping your tummy in, core muscles tight and making sure your hip, knee and ankle/foot are all in a straight line. That's where I'm focusing my energies to prevent another injury.

Most of all, have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #2007  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know about all this talk of *running*! LOL Ick!

I do miss being on my exercise bike--my asthma has made it impossible for the last month. Hoping for better oxygen levels next month.

I have sick kids today, sadly. Whatever this nasty virus is, it's hitting everyone. Stay well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #2008  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by finger's inky girlView Post
Good morning everyone...sounds like everyone has a pretty busy week. I have 2 more days to work and then I am packing/finishing projects/stressing, etc for my first ever Ladies Stamp Retreat weekend in the mountains. I love to go to these weekends, but it is a little different when you are hosting the weekend and have all these classes to make sure you are ready for. Thus, I have been mostly off the board the past few months trying to be productive. But, things are coming together nicely, I only have one more cookbook and the rest of the Country Living Kit to make as a sample, and all the samples are made. Then, I have to cut the paper for the Stamp a Stack and pack. Busy week, but the weekend will be soooo worth it. Thanks to a wonderful SA swap, my Christmas Card Stamp a Stack was done in a flash. Thanks bunches to all of you for wonderful ideas!
Have a great day!

Angie, Have fun at your weekend! I would love to hear all about it and what you are doing for classes while hosting. I am thinking of hosting such a thing too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #2009  
Pearl-ExPert

Paula - I hear ya. I am also a classic emotional eater. I would also call myself a compulsive eater...food is there, I eat it, especially in social situations. I know all the things I need to do to "fix" it, but alas, the personal motivation escapes me after the first week.
Add one more thing we can all support each other on this wonderful thread for.

Amy - sorry to hear your house is sickly today. No fun. Don't you have buffet tonight too?

Kathy - what day was DD eye surgery? Did I miss the update or?

Working right now (or supposed to be not being on here!), then off to get oil changed in truck and then play with stamps and BS.

It's trying to snow here today too. Good day to stay in and play with stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #2010  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

I'm the first one!!! I was dying to try the glitter window technique and it just called out to me!!! Guess I forgot to put my stickers on!!! Guilty as charged!!! LOL!!! BTW, that technique uses a lot of dazzling diamonds!!!!!
LOL! I love that technique, but I have a bad habit of getting DD *EVERYWHERE* every time I use the stuff. I tend to use it most now in "homemade stickles" to control the "pixie dust effect".....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #2011  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Retired sets? Or you could just use DSP. I didn't ever buy the leaf dies, but that would work!

I had no idea what to do with all the fall pattern in the bulk DSP buy, so I used it this weekend at my shoebox swap. Extremely simple card.

Probably too simple LOL
I used some of it up matting something on a recipe swap I was just in. I've had NO PROBLEM using up that snowflake paper though! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #2012  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapshappenView Post
Lisa- As another Subaru owner, I can sympathize. I love it 95% of the time. But when it breaks, that's another story. At least your DH can fix it. We finally found a good, reliable, honest shop but it's not very close to us.
One thing my father always did, so I always do it too, is that my car goes to the dealer for everything (except body work which they don't do). The last 2 cars I've had (Honda and Subaru) cost the same to get an oil change at the dealer as they do at Jiffy Lube and they do a better job (had Jiffy lube mess up two of my cars by leaving stuff un-tightened). I love my Forester. I haven't had mine break yet, she's got almost 90k on her. I put about 800 miles on her this week with all the driving back and forth for Russ. Gotta get that 90k service worked into the budget a little sooner than I though now. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #2013  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Lisa-Crazycatstamper! Congratulations on winning Verve sets!
Thanks Amy! Can't wait to get them. I'm pretty sure I will be using Ornamental Christmas for my cards this year. None of the new SU sets did anything for me this time and I used Season of Joy last year.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #2014  

Quote:

I wish you all peace on your weight loss journey and to the rest of you, have a wonderful day and I'll check in later.
LOL. While I don't recommend it, I lost 8 lbs in the last 6 weeks between losing Taz, my FIL, getting food poisoning (that was the real kicker) and then the whole thing with Russ last week. Actually I was down 11 lbs at my low point, but I knew I would get some back. I seem to be holding steady since we got home Friday and back on my normal eating routine. I was already tracking my food on Sparkpeople and had lost about 4 lbs since August, now I'm on track to hit my goal weight in February rather than June. We'll see what the Food Fest that is the Holiday Season does to me.... LOL! While it was THRILLING to see my low point almost to my goal weight, I knew that it wasn't in a healthy way. At least I know I *CAN* lose it, it's just a matter of sucking up and DOING IT. LOL! When I hit my goal it will be 20 lbs lost. I still won't match my drivers license (it would take another 5 for that), but it's close enough! Unfortunately, in preparation for the medical bills that will be coming, we have decided to quit the gym, but I got the OK to buy a Wii Fit. Hopefully being able to work out HERE will help me do it more than 3 times a week too. We shall see....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #2015  

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyCrissyView Post
I need an exercise enabler! I have actually signed up to do the Mini Marathon here in Indy. DH and I did it last year too. We walked it, but it was a huge morale booster for me. I was so happy when I crossed that finish line. That will be in May. My other motiviation is we are planning a 2 week camping trip next year to Yosemite and that area and I want to be able to enjoy it! I just need to remind myself of these things!
Mmmmmm.... Love Yosemite! It's about a 2.5 hour drive from here. I haven't been in about 18 months. Need to get back there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #2016  

All caught up and off to run errands! Everyone have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #2017  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

You're gone now, but you have a great day too Lisa! I'm getting a Wii fit for Christmas too....perfect time of year for it too....I'm not a cold-loving girl (and we don't even get bitter cold weather other than one random week in January usually)

I should probably try writing down what I eat too. I've never done that before. I have PCOS too Crissy. Even several of my skinny friends have it...it is like an epidemic.

Good for you for exercising Kathy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #2018  
Mad Swapper

Speaking of Kathy...hope she's ok, she went off to exercise 3 hours ago and hasn't come back!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #2019  
Kookie Creator

Crissy and Rhonda - I also have PCOS and what a bugger it is to get the weight off. I just had a full panel of blood work done and they find nothing else wrong. I got so depressed because I wanted another reason why I couldn't get the weight off.

The Dr. prescribed Byetta for the PCOS - have either of you tried that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #2020  
Mad Swapper

Wow our little group has turned in to so much more than just swapping issues, huh?

I am currently taking Glucophage (sp?) but the last time I saw my dr he gave me some samples of something else...can't remember what it is called but they are big blue pills. I was having trouble taking the glucophage because I have to take 4 of them and they are huge! (to me) and he thought I might be able to swallow these better. My problem is remembering to take them. I have to take my thyroid meds in the am before eating and these I take at night...I was not diagnosed with the PCOS until after I spent over 4 years trying to get pregnant, 1 miscarriage and finally having my daughter. I did have to take medication to get pregnant in the first place but noone ever mentioned PCOS to me until I was on a follow-up appt after my daughter was born. Then they referred me to another dr. that is more specialized. He is awesome, very supportive and encouraging. I have seen him every 3 months for the last two years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #2021  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting. A random PA told me I had PCOS years ago - no blood tests, no history, no nothing. But, I don't think that was it - I think it was undiagnosed thyroid. With both my boys I only gained a couple of pounds - first time 2 pounds, second time 4. And I was skinnier after delivery than before! And then at 6 weeks postpartum, I could feel my body "change". My endocrinologist says that's a classic sign of thyroid trouble. I loved being pregnant - I felt so fabulous and full of energy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #2022  
Mad Swapper

I'm back! I got side tracked by dishes, menu planning, grocery list writing, fixing lunch, etc. BUT I did exercise for 1/2 hour! Yay! and Yay to Crissy for getting me going today.

update for Lisa (and anyone else who cares) - my DD came thru surgery yesterday and is doing great. She had an eye patch that she wore thru yesterday and was taken off today. I just called and found out that her vision is 20/70 - which is a very good thing! Considering that it was 20/200 before her surgery! And it will continue to get better in the next month. She was watching TV (on a little TV) and could see facial expressions.

Having been watched this DD suffer with her eye problems for the last 11 years, it is thrilling beyond words for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #2023  
Pearl-ExPert

Kathy, that is wonderful news! A whole new world for her! {hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #2024  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great news Kathy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #2025  
Mad Swapper

Great news Kathy on your daughter! And exercising too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #2026  
Pearl-ExPert

That is so wonderful Kathy!

Hey everyone.. OH I have to catch up with you gals you left me behind! lol.. My babies are all home so its a busy BUSY hmm did I mention Busy day here! lol...

-Ellie

My Little Rambling World
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #2027  
Hardware Hotshot

Hurray Kathy! That is such good news about your daughter. I bet your kids never get too old to worry about.

I had my thyroid checked a few years ago because I had a few symptoms (weight gain, etc) but it tested normal. We do have a Wii fit and I did it regularly for a few weeks. Now it rests nicely against the side of my TV cabinet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #2028  
Pearl-ExPert

I have an elipitcal trainer, but it has not seen much use since my shoulder has been a pain. That has been frustrating. Thyroid has been checked a couple times, but normal. I go back for a physical early February so we'll see what he says then.

Amy - great buffet offering - AGAIN - can I come?

You gals are just something with your projects. Makes me want to jetset all over to visit all your classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #2029  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been working on wrappers for Hershey bars with the "rules of chocolate" as a pull out (that can be kept for a bookmark) for my all weekend crop on the 21st. I am not hosting, but thought that they would make a fun treat for everyone. Not quite done assembling my prototype yet, but have all the paper cut and the "rules" printed.

Last edited by biffsbee; 06-16-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #2030  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

Quote:

Hurray Kathy! That is such good news about your daughter. I bet your kids never get too old to worry about.

I had my thyroid checked a few years ago because I had a few symptoms (weight gain, etc) but it tested normal. We do have a Wii fit and I did it regularly for a few weeks. Now it rests nicely against the side of my TV cabinet.
Oh no, are you saying I'm not going to use it? Shoot!

I'm so happy your daughter's eyes are better Kathy! And I trusted that you had worked out! Getting chores finished too---woohootie for you!

Last edited by rhondag; 11-11-2008 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2031  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffsbeeView Post
I have been working on wrappers for Hershey bars with the "rules of chocolate" as a pull out (that can be kept for a bookmark) for my all weekend crop on the 21st. I am not hosting, but thought that they would make a fun treat for everyone. Not quite done assembling my prototype yet, but have all the paper cut and the "rules" printed.
That's an adorable list of rules Lisa! I can't wait to see your finished product!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #2032  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought a Wii Fit too! It's my present to me for Christmas. I got it over the summer when I got the boys' Wii, which Santa will bring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #2033  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, Santa will be bringing me the Fit too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #2034  
Stazon Splitcoast

Waaah! I don't have excel, can't see the rules!!! Yes, my computer is that old!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #2035  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, see the problem with thyroid is gen. docs don't treat it as agressively as endocrinologists. I was always "normal" too, including when I was diagnosed! But, he looked at my levels and they were going up, up, up, which signaled a problem. Also, "normal" TSH (the standard test, but there are many others) for a gen. doc. is between 0.4 and 4.0 and what they're finding is those norms were established in the 1950's and included a whole bunch of people who had thyroid issues!! My endo. thinks "normal" is between 1.0 and 2.0. And he keeps me at a 1.0, since I am young and active. When I was diagnosed, I was at a 3.25 - normal according to my gen. doc!! Just something to keep an eye on and be proactive about your health! If anyone needs help digesting thyroid numbers, let me know! I'm not a doc or a nurse, but an advocate for proper diagnosis!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #2036  
Mad Swapper

Wow.. I have PCOS too. I can't believe so many of you have it. I was starting to feel like the only one. I am supposed to take Metaformin/glucophage, but I am horrible about taking it. It's supposed to boost metabolism for PCOS women, but it just makes me hungry when I take it.. we can have a whole forum just on this stupid syndrome.. anywho, thanks for sharing that ladies. its nice to know I am not the only out there. (oh and it's not a genetic type of thing.. although two of my cousins have it as well)

Crissy- what is the mini marathon you are doing in Indy? I may need to join you. that would be great motivation for me!

Amy- I'll have to check out byetta and what it does. thanks for sharing that. it really is such a bother to try and lose weight with PCOS. It really takes a lot more persistance than what I have. but really what it comes down to is changing your diet.. My doctor has told me to see a dietician since I am lactose intolerant as well... but here is what she told me. Carbs are my enemy. They quickly turn to fat if not burnt off, fat produces/ holds estrogen, making the body produce more estrogen since the fat wants more estrogen to keep it happy (which makes you crave carbs more), throwing off your hormones more, making the effects of PCOS worse. we can chat more via PM if you want!

do you all have the other horrible side effects? thinning hair, skin tags and such? I get the joy of that as well. what fun biology is!

Last edited by ececsy; 11-11-2008 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: to give more information than you ever wanted to know about PCOS.. sorry.. but hope this helps you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #2037  
Mad Swapper

I finally got caught up on all the posts. I can't possibly respond to them all.. you have been very talkative!

All seem to be doing well here.. so glad to hear of a week with only minor drama..

Lisa- hope the car gets better. I am considering a subaru for my next car. Do you still recommend?

So I have been in London/ Reading since Sunday. I wanted to shop on Sunday, but I was too tired to go into London. so I wandered around this town a little... found some CDs that I couldn't find at home, found some cute jewelry in colors I don't have.. and got a massage. it was like heaven and my skin feels so soft now from all the oil she used.. just fantastic.. aah heaven!

work has been good. I had a really busy day today with lots of meetings and then dinner at a pub out in the country. I guess they filmed four weddings and a funeral in this town. The pub had been there for over 600 years! can you believe that! unbelievable. so that was fun.

tomorrow I go to Paris for ONE day.. only 8 hours really. Our office is pretty far from the touristy part of Paris so I won't see too much.. guess I'll just have to come back.

believe it or not.. I brought some SU with me. I brought the I wish kit and the christmas rubons.. I have made a few cards with them together. I am trying to make a class. My upline came up with 20 cards from the two together and it was quite cute.

I will try to post a pic on my blog tomorrow night or so. hopefully my flight back won't be delayed. it's a fun challenge to only use a handful of things to make cards... fun fun!

hope you are all well. It is midnight here so I have to go to sleep. I have to leave for the airport by 7.

have a good day all!! Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #2038  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Waaah! I don't have excel, can't see the rules!!! Yes, my computer is that old!! LOL!!
I will get it copied to a word doc for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #2039  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey Liz, Yes so would reccommend the subaru. Great car. Ours is an 02 and over 100K. No worries, good car.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #2040  
Hardware Hotshot

Liz- Sounds like your trip is going well. What a shame to be so close to the touristy part of Paris and miss it. But that does mean you will have to go back. And it is amazing to think about how old everything is there. There isn't much around these parts that even compares.

Rhonda and Jen - I am sure your Fit will get more use than mine. The games are really fun and I loved the yoga. But it got a bit old quickly. There is a new "workout" game coming out to go with it. Trying to decide if I would just be throwing more money away by getting that, or if it would motivate me to use it more.

Jen- We *heart* our Wii. That's a great Santa gift. It was suppose to be ours this year too, but when we found one in March, we had to have it then. I think Amy told me they were getting one for Christmas this year too. I am more than happy to be the Wii enabler around here. Hours of family fun. Just don't get Mario Galaxy because it will eat your life away!

Can't believe all the PCOS people here. Maybe one of the symptoms is signing up for too many swaps?
Reply With Quote Likes