Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #4761  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww, Mary, I am sorry. I also have my card for you to make. I thought someone pulled one for you but apparently not. I will either mail it or give it to Tracy or something. I really didn't mean to make you spit Coke! I guess we all need a laugh on such a gray day. I really REALLY need some sunshine.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #4762  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmGee458View Post
Oh, geez, Jane...next time put a spew alert on your post! I nearly spit my Coke out on my brand new keyboard!!

I was kinda curious about that term myself but was afraid to ask!
LOL! I think it's a Navy thing. I think it's a party for going up in rank. Not 100% but I think that's what it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #4763  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post
Awww, Mary, I am sorry. I also have my card for you to make. I thought someone pulled one for you but apparently not. I will either mail it or give it to Tracy or something. I really didn't mean to make you spit Coke! I guess we all need a laugh on such a gray day. I really REALLY need some sunshine.
Jane, I just felt so bad about not making it...and missing all the FUN!!!

Yes, a good chuckle on such a dreary day is ALWAYS a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #4764  
Watercolor Wizard

Amanda- you're so good...Found this: Wetting-down is a raucous ceremony observed in the U.S. and British Navies including the U.S. Coast Guard for newly promoted officers. Formerly, it always involved tossing the new officer in the sea, hence the name. Marines also participate in this event as homage to their naval heritage. The wetting-down celebration is always paid for and hosted by the newly promoted officer, who invites his or her friends, which usually includes several officers of the same rank at which he or she has most recently served.

Normally the party occurs at a bar or pub frequented by officers. The location of the party is a big clue as to the form of the ceremony: when the party occurs in a dockside bar, the officer's friends are expected to (carefully) throw him or her into the sea. If the location is a park many miles inland from an otherwise available ocean, then the officer has very likely elected to dispense with the "wet" part of the party.

The "wet" part of the wetting-down is at the new officer's option, and must always be directly confirmed with the new officer before the party. His or her jocular friends should under no circumstances be relied on for this important point of protocol. Although permission is always required, the new officer is expected to react more or less as if it were a surprise.

Being located in a bar, there is typically a great deal of drinking of alcohol. There must always be at least one ceremonial toast. Friends present several rowdy speeches expressing their appreciation of the new officer's good comradeship and copious faults. Often one of the speeches describes an embarrassing event in the new officer's career, which occurred under the old rank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #4765  
Pearl-ExPert

I was sorry you couldn't make it. We did have a lot of rowdy fun. I think Tracy took the cutest picture. She was actually laughing and they caught her just right. The food was good but the company was better and all the cards were amazing. I now think I might "NEED" some Copics. Bad Meade girls make me shop, bad Meade girls.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #4766  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I was sorry you couldn't make it. We did have a lot of rowdy fun. I think Tracy took the cutest picture. She was actually laughing and they caught her just right. The food was good but the company was better and all the cards were amazing. I now think I might "NEED" some Copics. Bad Meade girls make me shop, bad Meade girls.....
Copics...good!! You've GOT to get some!!! They're addictive! Even Amanda, who was so not-for-Copics, had to order some!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #4767  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaABraggView Post
Hello MD Stampers! We are finally here at Andrews AFB and I have not found a job yet. Going crazy and ready to meet new stamping friends!
Lisa Bragg
Welcome Lisa! Going crazy - well you will fit in well with this great group! All the best on the job front. Hope you can meet up with us soon...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #4768  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathi127View Post
Ok, this is probably a dumb question but since I'm not familiar with military terms, what is a Wetting Down?

waaaaayyyyyy back when when Noah was a Sailor, Wetting downs were held when an Officer got promoted. see all that salty air made their shiny gold braid all icky an dull . when you got promoted you had shiny new braid so they dipped it in sea water to make it less shiny and matched their old ones better.

now the tradition is to take the amount of the payraise and spend it on a party for your friends.

oh who am I kidding.. just another lame excuse to buy beer for the guys hehhehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #4769  
Forum Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Kathi, I really had to laugh at your comment as I am not familiar with all the acronyms and terms but some of them make me laugh and that was definitely one. I figured being away from his loving wife (DM) for so long he wanted to ahhh, okay well, you know what I mean! :}
Jane, I just about peed myself laughing at your definition! You are still on a roll from last Saturday, aren't you?????

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #4770  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaWView Post
Ahh man that really stinks! Do we want to know what he did?!
Let's just say he and his computer teacher had a rather heated disagreement! They have not gotten along since he started in her class this semester and it's just been getting worse over time. I will be making sure he doesn't have her next year!! Not to take up for him but I really think she has some mental issues and should retire!

He has been given some extra chores around here to keep him busy while he's not at school! Anyone need any work done around their house????

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #4771  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Mary, I have my card packet for you to make as well! I'll give it to you the next time I see you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #4772  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Mary, I have my card packet for you to make as well! I'll give it to you the next time I see you!
Hopefully that will be on the 13th!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #4773  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Amanda- you're so good...Found this: Wetting-down is a raucous ceremony observed in the U.S. and British Navies including the U.S. Coast Guard for newly promoted officers. Formerly, it always involved tossing the new officer in the sea, hence the name. Marines also participate in this event as homage to their naval heritage. The wetting-down celebration is always paid for and hosted by the newly promoted officer, who invites his or her friends, which usually includes several officers of the same rank at which he or she has most recently served.

Normally the party occurs at a bar or pub frequented by officers. The location of the party is a big clue as to the form of the ceremony: when the party occurs in a dockside bar, the officer's friends are expected to (carefully) throw him or her into the sea. If the location is a park many miles inland from an otherwise available ocean, then the officer has very likely elected to dispense with the "wet" part of the party.

The "wet" part of the wetting-down is at the new officer's option, and must always be directly confirmed with the new officer before the party. His or her jocular friends should under no circumstances be relied on for this important point of protocol. Although permission is always required, the new officer is expected to react more or less as if it were a surprise.

Being located in a bar, there is typically a great deal of drinking of alcohol. There must always be at least one ceremonial toast. Friends present several rowdy speeches expressing their appreciation of the new officer's good comradeship and copious faults. Often one of the speeches describes an embarrassing event in the new officer's career, which occurred under the old rank.
Thanks Mary! That's quite an explanation!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #4774  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
waaaaayyyyyy back when when Noah was a Sailor, Wetting downs were held when an Officer got promoted. see all that salty air made their shiny gold braid all icky an dull . when you got promoted you had shiny new braid so they dipped it in sea water to make it less shiny and matched their old ones better.

now the tradition is to take the amount of the payraise and spend it on a party for your friends.

oh who am I kidding.. just another lame excuse to buy beer for the guys hehhehehe
Hey, that's as good an excuse as any I've heard before!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #4775  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Hopefully that will be on the 13th!
Yea, if it EVER stops raining!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #4776  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Thanks Mary! That's quite an explanation!!!
I like to be thorough!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #4777  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

He has been given some extra chores around here to keep him busy while he's not at school! Anyone need any work done around their house????

umm yeah.. unfortunately I do not have the stuff needed to fix the stuff aorund the house..like new batteries for that damn smoke detector, Picture wire for my artwork I bought back in January, umm that plastic screw thingy that's busted off the toilet..

if I get to Home Despot any time soon I will take you up on the offer.. heheheh. I am quite sure John won't mind not having any chores when he gets home....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #4778  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Let's just say he and his computer teacher had a rather heated disagreement! They have not gotten along since he started in her class this semester and it's just been getting worse over time. I will be making sure he doesn't have her next year!! Not to take up for him but I really think she has some mental issues and should retire!

Kathi, you need to go to a blog called Stamps, Paper, Scissors....a few weeks back she posted about her sone and a finger issue that had me laughing. It is definitely the end of school energy...summer coming and freedom. A bad teacher is an awful experience and can sour a kid on school real fast. I hope that doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #4779  
Crimping Master

I'm glad someone ask about "wetting down". I was wondering but didn't want to ask!

Jane - Yes copics are addicting! A month ago I bought one while with Mary at Create It Crafts. Now I have 26 and want more! Meade girls are enablers.

Mary - I remember the last few days of school - crazy! Isn't Joy's retirement party soon? My friend Maggie Ottenbacher is going to be there. I had dinner with her tonight and told her if she met you to say HI for me!

Well off to bed. Sweet dreams everyone.

The best things in life are the people we love, the places we've been and the memories we've made along the way - unknown

SCS Gallery

Check out my blog!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #4780  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Kathi, you need to go to a blog called Stamps, Paper, Scissors....a few weeks back she posted about her sone and a finger issue that had me laughing. It is definitely the end of school energy...summer coming and freedom. A bad teacher is an awful experience and can sour a kid on school real fast. I hope that doesn't happen.
Yes! I read that post, it was hysterical! I've been subscribing to her blog for a while now and she is such a hoot, I love all her emoticons! She is also incredibly talented, her cards are awesome!

I know Alan is no Angel but it just seems she has had it out for him from day one and he finally had enough. In the two years he's been at this school he has not had any issues with any of his other teachers, in fact one of them has had him participate in special projects outside of school. So I definitely think it is not all his doing. Other students have verified to us that she is very disrespectful to the kids. I'm just glad this year is just about over and he won't have to deal with her anymore!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #4781  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyheypaulaView Post
I'm glad someone ask about "wetting down". I was wondering but didn't want to ask!

Jane - Yes copics are addicting! A month ago I bought one while with Mary at Create It Crafts. Now I have 26 and want more! Meade girls are enablers.

Mary - I remember the last few days of school - crazy! Isn't Joy's retirement party soon? My friend Maggie Ottenbacher is going to be there. I had dinner with her tonight and told her if she met you to say HI for me!

Well off to bed. Sweet dreams everyone.
Yes, Joye's party is today after school...should be fun! There are tons of people coming- maybe even Christian!!!!!! I haven't seen him in SO long- WAY before he was famous! I've never met Maggie, but I've heard alot about her...hopefully I can meet her today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #4782  
Watercolor Wizard

WHEN is this rain going to END???????????? I'm starting to mildew...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 AM   #4783  
Hardware Hotshot

Morning Ladies,

I don't think the rain is going to stop anytime soon. Hopefully the thunder will cover up the screams that will be coming from my house this weekend. I have four kids for sale cheeeeeep! Bunch of jerks...lazy....sneaky...lying...grrrr....jerks, that's all I can say. JERKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #4784  
Hardware Hotshot

I see Amanda posted a ribbon challenge on the Meade blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #4785  
Hardware Hotshot

Chatty, chatty girls I see! I can't keep up with the posts.lol I keep having to go further and further back since I can't pick up on what the heck is going on around here.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #4786  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyltrippView Post
Morning Ladies,

I don't think the rain is going to stop anytime soon. Hopefully the thunder will cover up the screams that will be coming from my house this weekend. I have four kids for sale cheeeeeep! Bunch of jerks...lazy....sneaky...lying...grrrr....jerks, that's all I can say. JERKS!
Morning Ladies! Tracy, I think all this bad behavior must be contagious! Or else it's coming from all the rain!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #4787  
Crimping Master

true even the baby is fussier than normal but I am thinking she just felt ill - Well my puppy is sick today, daughter # 2 finally got the cold, and I got about 2 hours sleep last night --- it is going to be a lovely day, simply lovely!!!

Mary I have a card kit for you too....I will try to get it sent to you soon!

I will take a helper around the house, my 4 are deadbeats LOL started a new allowance program and they owe me money this week hahahahaha (they lose money for fighting, lying, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #4788  
Gallery Gazer

I think it's an end of the school year thing. The weather is crazy the teachers are nuts from dealing with our kids all year. Ya' know it's time for summer break for all.

Where is the lunch going to be on the 12th?

Stacy thanks for the stamp sale! Mary I picked up some stamps I think you will like. I'll give them to you next time I see you. They were calling I belong to Mary!! At 10 cents each I couldn't pass them up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #4789  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes copics are WONDERFUL. I just took a good Copic 101 class with Unity Stamp Co's Lisa Heterick at PhotoScraps. I came home with the airbrush and then bought 30 more markers.

<------Is an Addict!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #4790  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyltrippView Post
Morning Ladies,

oh mygeez now what did the little heathens do?! or not do that they were supposed to....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #4791  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelenaPrincessView Post
Yes copics are WONDERFUL. I just took a good Copic 101 class with Unity Stamp Co's Lisa Heterick at PhotoScraps. I came home with the airbrush and then bought 30 more markers.

<------Is an Addict!!!
oh crap i thought that name was familiar LOL if it is not too nosy how much is the airbrush...I am wanting that sucker but not sure of cost. Also you wanna teach us what you learned LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #4792  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

oh mygeez now what did the little heathens do?! or not do that they were supposed to....
DM where and when is Lunch on the 12th?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #4793  
Pearl-ExPert

really haven't thought about it yet.

it will have to be after noon as Michelle doesn't get off until 1130....

any suggestions or cravings?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #4794  
Pearl-ExPert

ARGH! Make the rain go away. Tonight is the Relay for Life. I am not on a team so dont have to spend the night but am going to the survior dinner and hope to complete the survivor lap. Even if I joined one of the teams I am toooo old to sleep outside. Been there, done that in previous years many moons ago. It was lots of fun tho. Hope to see you all soon. r
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #4795  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

really haven't thought about it yet.

it will have to be after noon as Michelle doesn't get off until 1130....

any suggestions or cravings?
Lets do Cici's Pizza that way Tracy and I can bring the kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #4796  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaWView Post
Lets do Cici's Pizza that way Tracy and I can bring the kids.
Sounds good.

DawnMarie- I can give you a ride. Also- if you want to go to Home Depot I can take you tommorrow morning.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #4797  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've got the new SU! Catty and In-Colors....Who wants to be my friend????
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #4798  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose0165View Post
ARGH! Make the rain go away. Tonight is the Relay for Life. I am not on a team so dont have to spend the night but am going to the survior dinner and hope to complete the survivor lap. Even if I joined one of the teams I am toooo old to sleep outside. Been there, done that in previous years many moons ago. It was lots of fun tho. Hope to see you all soon. r
There's no sleeping at the Relay!! So, guess that means your NOT TOO OLD! Good luck tonight- hopefully the rain will stop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #4799  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelenaPrincessView Post
I've got the new SU! Catty and In-Colors....Who wants to be my friend????
You are SUCH a tease!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #4800  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You are SUCH a tease!!!!!
If I was JUST a tease I wouldn't have 3 kids