Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

I am so lucky to have a husband that doesn't complain a lot and sometimes I need to be reminded that I am lucky to have such an easy-going guy! I take it for granted that he not only doesn't complain about my hobbies, but he actually supports me and has genuine interest in what I do. I have a really strong personality and am very independent and wouldn't have married a guy that "told me what to do," but I know I am lucky to be in the marriage I'm in.. (We have plenty that we DON'T agree on, it's just crafting/hobbies are somewhat neutral.. lol)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #42
Compulsive Stamper

If it wasnt for my husband I would never have started crafting. He was the one who pushed me to do it because he knew I would enjoy it. He takes me to craft stores and walks up and down the isles pointing things out so that I dont miss them and when I am trying to be cheap he always saying just buy it already. My craft area is in the front room so he makes his jokes that its no longer a front room its now my craft room, but hes the one who keeps coming up with ideas on how to store my things before I even say anything about needing more room. I am so lucky to have such a sweet husband!!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

My hubby is marvelous in that he not only supports my hobby of rubber stamping but he will come in and sit with me and give me advice and ideas. I try to find card making techniques he would enjoy every now and again, one being the shaving cream one. He absolutely loved it! Then my grandsons of 19-21 were over and so out came the shaving cream again. Those boys sat for a long time creating what they thought was the perfect swirl design. Guys like to do things once in a while...bonds them you know.
My hubby is like what a few of the ladies commented about when their hubby coming home with a little surprise craft gift. If I know he is going near a craft store he will stop in and look for what I need and will even come home with some little thing he thinks would be "so cool" for me to work with. He tells me over and over again, buy what you need or want; you know how much we can afford so I trust your judgement. I just love him. I make little teeny tiny cards with messages and put it on his pillow or on his nightstand, such as "Keep the kisses coming" or Heart throb diner, or Sweet pea love". Just little sayings that warm his heart and tell him he is still number one to me. He is the best. He is my best encourager in everything. By the way, we have been married 47 years this August and the warm fuzzy love is still there. By the way, he is a strapping 6'2" gray mustached motorcycle rider with a tender heart, caring for people. Glad I am one of them.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 05-18-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #44
Pearl-ExPert

My husband is unbelievably kind and understanding! He is the one I go to when I think I should tweak the card a little. He tells me the truth too, sometimes I don't like it! When I went to Hawaii with my best friend about 2 years ago he had a dozen roses and a homemade card he made in my stamp room to tell me how much he missed me and loved me. He even tells me to, "just go ahead and order it" when I mention something I would like to get. Definitely a keeper!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #45
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
Yup, we must be clones LOL! We were married 23 years this past May
Okay, this is getting too close - I was wed on May 14th, 1988 - how about you?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #46
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash&rusty View Post
Okay, this is getting too close - I was wed on May 14th, 1988 - how about you?
May 7, 1988 in a fishing community with gale force winds that day so no outdoor pictures. My dress almost blew up over my head getting out of the limo to go into the church LOL! I originally wanted to get married between Christmas and New Years, envisioning my bridesmaids with white fur muffs and red velvet dresses with the church already decorated with poinsettias ... but my mother threatened to kill me if I got married that time of year LOL!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Wow, all these husbands rock!

My DH laughs that stamping is my hobby, but organizing is his! When he was a retail manager, he would talk to the crafty ladies (both customers & employees) to see if I would like a specific type of storage or shelving. He often came home and would tell me that so&so suggested that he buy this or that! He builds, he hangs storage, he sorts, he will even clean my studio while I am working, just to hang out with me.

He really does not have a hobby, so it sometimes makes me feel a little guilty about the time and costs. But, when I bring that up, he laughs that he would not want to live with me if I did not have a creative outlet.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #48
Gabfest Goddess

I would say my DH is somewhere between supportive and tolerant of my hobby. He's glad that I have something I enjoy doing, and he no longer comments on the packages that come in the mail. But he has no interest in what I do. He would never buy me anything (except a gift cert) to do with this hobby and he doesn't wood work, so no cool storage things for me! He doesn't begrudge my hobby, and I don't begrudge him his (golf).
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #49
Embossing Fanatic

I too am blessed with a supportive husband. When we relocated from Arizona to Kentucky we lived in a travel trailer which was inside a very large metal building, there was a small office inside the building which my husband insulated and put heating & cooling for me...I happily crafted in that small space for over 1 year. My husband put up walls in our new home to accomodate me and my crafting (he surprised me w/this while I was away for a week). Even though my craftroom is "busting at the seams" my husband never questions my spending or has never inquired as to "how much" I think I have spent.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #50
Mad Swapper

My husband is happy that I have a hobby. He doesn't complain if I want to go stamp with my girlfriends (in fact, he pushes me to go); and as long as the money for the stamps comes out of my paycheck, then he doesn't say a word about the money. He is gracious enough to have taken over the financial support of the household. My paycheck (I work half-time) is for hobbies, vacations, fun, etc. He qualifies stamping as fun, and really doesn't care if I spend ALL of it on stamps! I support him in his hobbies and pursuits, as well.

We have been married 22 years this June, and he is my biggest fan, as I am his. We are really looking forward to being empty-nesters, as we are best friends, too. Our oldest is finishing up her freshman year in college, and our youngest is finishing her junior year in high school.

HEATHER
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #51
Kookie Creator

LOL, mine is pretty supportive. He also has learned to just buy me crafting things as gifts because he knows that I what I want. He's learned to look at the cards and the stamps that I show him whether online or in person. He's also learned at least some if not MOST of the company names and which styles I tend to like and not like. So compared to many other husbands I see, I guess I best say, YEP, my husband is a total supporter.

Cheers, Holley
Holley's Blog
Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

My DH is very supportive although he likes to pretend he is not. He calls my craft room my "crap" room and my craft friends my "crap" friends. So when a package arrives and he asks me what I ordered I tell him "more crap."
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #53
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post
My husband is very supportive... I've also been supportive of his many hobbies and they are much more expensive than mine.
Same here. Triathlon, cooking, and photography are DH's hobbies. He has four bicycles, forty pairs of running shoes, a wet suit, four Nikon cameras and lenses galore, expensive pots and pans I can barely lift, and, well, you get the picture.

I don't even spend as much per year as he does just on race registration fees during the years he does Ironman races, and he's done SIX IM races. The cost of his race bike ALONE would fund my crafting for YEARS, LOL!!!!

Funny how threads about hubbies always devolve into discussions of fiscal matters.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #54
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Same here. Triathlon, cooking, and photography are DH's hobbies. He has four bicycles, forty pairs of running shoes, a wet suit, four Nikon cameras and lenses galore, expensive pots and pans I can barely lift, and, well, you get the picture.

I don't even spend as much per year as he does just on race registration fees during the years he does Ironman races, and he's done SIX IM races. The cost of his race bike ALONE would fund my crafting for YEARS, LOL!!!!

Funny how threads about hubbies always devolve into discussions of fiscal matters.
40 pairs of running shoes??? OMG
Old 05-22-2011, 05:14 AM   #55
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper for fun View Post
40 pairs of running shoes??? OMG
Yep. He won't throw the old ones away because they make great mowing shoes. He hasn't yet figured out that he only mows once a week, and he could pick a "new" old pair every week of the mowing season and STILL NOT USE THEM ALL in a year.

If I die first, they'll have to do a whole Hoarders episode on him.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #56
Die Cut Diva

I am too a lucky gal to have a hubby that totally supports my hobby! We had to move my craft room this spring, and he was right there with me moving desks, shelving and storage cabinets. Not to mention all the fun tools and ink pads and papers! He just kept saying I had too much stuff! Then he would grin. I knew he would say that! So I showed him a few other craft room pictures I found online totally decked out wall to wall to wall to wall. I only have one wall decked out! LOL! Anyway, he has always supported me. Even in the beginning when I first started out, the tools amazed him. He totally understood it then. What guy doesn't like tools? So he kept comparing my tools to his! I told he he could not use my scissors for anything because they are meant for paper and ribbons--not metal wires or anything like that! I had to tell my three sons to stay away from my scissors too! They have been very cooperative! One of my first cool cards I ever made was a Michele Zindorf technique! I ran downstairs and showed my hubby and my three sons. They were totally surprised I could make a card like that! Since then it's been a blast! My sons ask me to make cards for them, and on really special ones they ask if they can make a card!!! All they ask is that I lay out papers and stamps and some embellishments for them. Then they create the card. I am very happy to do that for them! My hubby smiles and cracks a joke. He loves the cards I create for him and for people he may need a card to send to. Just last Christmas he got me the Cricut Imagine. I just love this item! So glad I have a supportive family! I love the phrase happy wife-happy life because it's true!!!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #57
Embossing Fanatic

What a sweet thread! I'm not married yet, and I am in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend, but he has been very supportive of me finding another creative outlet, although he frowns at the fact that I spend a lot of money (none of it his) on it and complains that I have too much stuff. It does hurt a little, I can only imagine he won't be very nice about it if I end up marrying him and he is the sole breadwinner who has to pay for my things (I have really bad health that keeps me from working a f/t or p/t job, but I am hoping my crafting will be self-sustainable). When I did go over to visit him, he tolerated visiting craft stores multiple times with me but I could tell he wasn't exactly very interested in anything that I love looking at.

LOL typing this makes me feel a little sad! I suppose it doesn't help that I do not see him a lot!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #58
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I originally wanted to get married between Christmas and New Years, envisioning my bridesmaids with white fur muffs and red velvet dresses with the church already decorated with poinsettias ... but my mother threatened to kill me if I got married that time of year LOL!
My mother didn't threaten to kill me, but maybe she wished she did - I was married in Halifax on Dec 21st. No fur muffs, but we did have red dresses and poinsettia bouquets! And yes, it snowed!

Keeping this on topic, my hubby is very (very) supportive of all my serial crafting. 25 years and counting, he's a real keeper!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #59
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband is supportive....He makes peanut gallery comments when I watch HSN...says things like you better order because you know they will sell out! LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #60
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Yep. He won't throw the old ones away because they make great mowing shoes. He hasn't yet figured out that he only mows once a week, and he could pick a "new" old pair every week of the mowing season and STILL NOT USE THEM ALL in a year.

If I die first, they'll have to do a whole Hoarders episode on him.
Maybe it's just because I've been up since 3:30 am when my kids decided it was time to get out of bed for the day, but this completely cracked me up!

And my husband is very supportive of my stamping. The only thing that ever bothers him is when things sit around unopened for a long time. If I'm going to get it he wants me to use it. He doesn't buy me crafty gifts, but that's because he likes to think up presents on his own and surprise me and he can't really do that with craft stuff. He is just an all around great guy and I'm so blessed to have him.

Laugh Hard. Run Fast. Be Kind
- Twelve
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

I too am a very lucky one He not only supports my hobby, but brags to his friends all that I make When I go on my card retreats twice a year my hubby and son follow and unload not only my truck with all my stuff, but the whole groups vehicles and sets up all our tables, moves furniture and whatever else we need. They then come back on Sunday and do the reverse The Ladies then take them out to breakfast as they appreciate all the help. Yes I can load and unload my own stuff, but my husband treats me like a Queen I am so very lucky for my family !
Bonnie
Old 05-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

My husband of 45 years is very supportive of any type of crafts I've done, sometimes shaking his head wondering why but still telling me to "go for it". We're both retired now but when he was working, he would ask me to make special cards for people he worked with for birthdays, anniversaries and sympathy cards. If I'm thinking of buying an item and can't decide on which one, like different size Xyrons's, he tells me to get both! He is a model railroader and uses my cardstock, punches, and other items to make signs for his layout. One Christmas I was walking around Hobby Lobby making a Wish List so he could have an easier time getting me gifts. 2 clerks asked what I was doing and when I told them, they thought it was a wonderful idea. A few days later, my husband was there and the same clerks saw him with my Wish List and helped me find the items; he decided to get everything on my list and asked the clerks for more suggestions and they gave him some - and he got them too! Can't say anything but wonderful things about him!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #63
Crimping Master

My husband very much supports and encourages me with my Stamping hobby........he's interested in all of my creations and brags me up.....I love him so.....BTW I support him with his hobbies too....hunting, fishing....he makes his own fly ties....awesome too!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #64
Stampin' Fool

We are all blessed!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #65
Compulsive Stamper

The night of the SU workshop is usually the same week as 2 other meetings that I must attend for my job. I had an extra meeting that week and was willing to give up my SU meeting because the others I can't miss. My DH told me to go ahead. His hobby is his cars but I think he is kind of jealous because I can sit inside the house and work on my hobby in the living room in front of the TV if I want to. I also turned the spare bedroom into a craft room and can work in there for 10 minutes or 10 hours. I love winter because I have time to make cards but summer I am too busy with my job and things that need to be done around the house so I spend about 2 hours a week. I always loved crafts and glad that I finally I can indulge.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #66
Crimping Master

I am blessed with a wonderful husband - married for nearly 29 years and my best friend. He is very supportive of all that I do - whether it be scrapbooking, stamping, running, volunteering or whatever. He assembled all my craft room furniture and built me a really nice rack to hold my ink pads and refills. He doesn't question my purchases but he has been known to tease me about the quantity of embossing folders I had stashed (only because I hadn't yet figured out where to store them). He loves to see what I've made and takes time to notice the details - sometimes even offers suggestions, which I think is funny. Yep, he's just a great guy.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM   #67
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by weims View Post
Don't ask, don't tell. Great policy. Works with stamping and the horses. Of course, his hobby - hunting - isn't small either. We both know that the other is happier when engages in the passions that keep us sane. We also both work in high stress jobs, too, and we need those outlets.
LOL, I see you have 2 expensive hobbies also!
My husband is pretty supportive, more happy now that I quit showing horses. But then I started stamping more in ernest. He rides horse (when we go to the badlands but never around home, DD and I say his horse is to good for him).

As far as stamping DH is pretty supportive, he never says anything when I buy something and if I'm in Michael's and look at something he tells me to buy it, just buy it. He helped me build a stamp credenza to store my UM stamps....it took a year to convince him and get it explained how I wanted it and that it would work.

That said I sometimes employ the 'husband plan' when I get on a buying binge, I have things shipped to work instead of home. But I've been good and haven't bought to much.
I just wish my husband had a hobby...that wasn't ME. His job takes him out of town (conductor on railroad) so when he's home he wants to do stuff and spend time with me. I don't get to stamp when he's home and if I do, he's in the room every 15 min asking what I'm doing and why it takes so long. He just doesn't understand the creative process.

But we put up with each other, I don't think anyone else would put up with him.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #68
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYstamper View Post
When I first decided to sign up as a demo, my DH was kind of thinking I was crazy. I told him if I was going to buy the stuff I might as well get a discount. He is super supportive and I often will ask him what the card needs if I am stuck. He gets a smidge grumpy when my room looks like a hurricane hit it, which lately has been more often than not.(it is right off of the living room, so very visible). This summer we will be redoing my room so I have been starting to unmount my stamps and sort thru things to get ready for that chaos. And even though he says I have enough crap,his words, he still takes me to my favorite stamp stores!
The term "crap" is used by my dh and several of my friends' dh-es. Must be a guy thing unrelated to fishing, hunting and golfing "crap."
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #69
Glitter Queen

My husband is super supportive - we've been married for 12 years, but together for 18. He's the most sarcastic person you could ever meet, but when it comes to me & our girls, he has a heart of gold. He's an emergency vet and works mainly nights, weekends & holidays and he knows that without scrapping/stamping, I would most likely go crazy so he is constantly helping me with stuff for my room.

One year for Christmas he printed out the info for CKC Charlotte (which was in August). He contacted the hotel to book a room for me, but the convention rate had not been set up yet, so he contacted CK and they got it set up so he booked my room - told me to go and sign up for as many classes as I wanted, bring a friend or friends with me if I wanted to or go by myself and to buy an electronic paper cutter (I can't remember which brand he wanted me to get but I came home with a Pazzles Mini Creative Cutter.) When I got to the hotel & checked in, he'd had roses delivered to my room. He got such a great reaction to that gift, that ever since then, he loves to look for crafty gifts for me. In his downtime at work, he searches the internet and often orders things before I even know they exist.

Once, before a weekend crop, he got me a rolling tote and every shade of Bazzill eyelet he could find. And about 500 sheets of Bazzill paper. One year for Christmas it was every color/style of Coredinations paper. One year it was every shade of stickles. This year, Christmas was a new camera and a large format printer. I think he does get a little annoyed though when I "play" when he is home so I try not to or if I do, I bring stuff downstairs and watch TV with him and work on the couch. If I'm on a deadline making goodies for the kids' classes or something, sometimes he'll even help out with mass production. He's about to start his own veterinary practice, so will be home every night and every weekend, (has gotten really hard for him not to be home with the kids in the evenings and only have every third weekend home with us) so we'll have to try to find a happy medium. His hobbies include making full-size replica college football helmets (and mini helmets) and working on/cleaning his Camaro both of which I am all for. (The Camaro is something he shares with the girls - he took the older one who was 6 at the time to Camaro Fest in Georgia where there were hundreds of new Camaros - they had such a fun weekend and fun road trip (11 hours each way) it will be something she'll always remember).

"Crapbook" room is often said and when I started a blog I called it KariScrap because it could be read either Kari Scrap or Karis crap because I thought he would get a kick out of it. KariScrap

I'm glad so many of us have terrific husbands who recognize how important this outlet is to our sanity! And, I make sure he knows that I know how lucky I am. What a great thread! Here's to wonderful husbands!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #70
Watercolor Wizard

So nice to read how supportive so many of the husbands are in this thread. Mine is very supportive, and actually colors my images for me. In fact, he does most of the coloring, and then I make them into cards.
As to how much I spend, well, he doesn't ask too many questions, smile... I worked for many years, so what I spend would really be money I earned myself.
He just gets upset as to how much space my stuff takes up (I get a little upset about that myself...LOL)
QFTD165

Last edited by JD from PAUSA; 05-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #71
Proud Fan Club Member

This is a fabulous topic for a thread. My boyfriend is supportive. He always likes to look at what I've created and offers suggestions even when I don't necessarily want them. LOL! But he tells me he offers comments and suggestions because he cares and he is genuinely interested. He has also helped me get organized. My mom bought me this awesome counter height island from Ikea for a really good price a few years ago. His project was to help me find something to support it underneath (it was designed to have cupboards installed under it, too expensive). So we found shelves that would support it and he put it all together for me. He also pays at least $10 a card when he needs to buy one from me to give to someone. I never charge that much when selling to anyone else, but he says it is worth it because he knows the time I put into them. He is just too sweet sometimes. ) Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #72
Cardstock Collector

My husband is completely supposrtive of my crafting, but refuses to put anything else together for a long time! He had to assemble 50 storage cubes for me, 2 tall bookshelves, hang 3 MM embellishment racks and etc so he is done assembling for awhile. But he is the one who pays for all my goodies and if there is something I really want he tells me to get it. He has even came in my room and scrapped/stamped with me when I had no one else to keep me company. We are in the middle of building our dream home and instead of having a traditional attic he is designing it all for my studio so it will be a 2nd floor just for me. He also has his hobbies that I support like fishing, hunting and tools, even though he probably doesn't spend no where near what I spend.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #73
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My hubby is financially supportive as much as we can afford it. He isn't really emotionally supportive but mostly because he doesn't know how to be. He does watch the kids while I craft and keeps them out of my hair. He wouldn't know what a card needs if I offered $10,000 though! He will help clean up some if I have friends or students over to craft. I have lupus so I need his help to vacuum or I'm too tired to enjoy my guests.

He will put furniture together though I don't really need him to unless it is heavy. He makes trips to IKEA on his way home from work for me for storage items. So overall, I guess he's pretty supportive.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #74
Insane Embellisher

My other "half" is fantastic, he has his own hobbies so he completely understands mine. He bought me my sewing machine and Big Shot two years ago all on his own and this year he bought me my ATG gun! He knows a Copic from a Prisma pencil and trusts me not to destroy our budget on new stuff! He offers to bring me to my fave LSS anytime and doesn't mind going in and wandering around. I'm very lucky!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #75
Rubber Obsessor

My hubby is very supportive. He has built a lot of storage shelves for me and he is also my best critic. We live in Las Vegas 9 months of the year where I have a craft room with lots of storage and work space. Last year in our MN home, where we spend the summer months, he turned the guest room into a craft room for me. Yes, having 2 different craft rooms means I have a LOT of duplicate "toys". He's made me happy for 48 years......hopefully that works both ways. LOL
Old 05-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #76
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Default hobbies

Hi,
My DH is like yours, he always helps me if I needed something to make and soon I also needs his help with re-organising my studio
Greetings from Bali,
Jogrybali

Quote:
The thread asking whether your craft is unappreciated got me to thinking about who does support my hobbies and crafts.

I'd like to give a big shout out to my hubby who supports my hobbies and crafts and other activities. He's always great to support my volunteer activities and picks up the slack with the house and kids when I'm busy helping others. He's put up with years and years of my tole painting, knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilling and now stamping and card making. He also helps out with my gardening although I think if I ask him to move one more rock, he just might divorce me LOL! That being said, I support his extra curricular activities as well, but I sometimes seem to get more time/money for my stuff than him! He knows he is appreciated even if it really is "all about me" LOL!

Whenever there are items at his work going in the garbage that I might be able to recycle and use at home, he brings them home. As an example, I have a couple of wooden shelving units that were being demolished and discarded. These units would have cost a couple hundred dollars if hubby were to take the time to make something similar. They happened to fit my 12X12 paper perfectly. I also have a table top in pristine condition from a desk unit that was no longer needed at my work. He came in and helped me drag to the car and squeeze in. He then built legs for it to use in my craft room. If he sees unneeded containers or gizmos at work that might be useful for storage, he brings them home as well. Some men just wouldn't bother.

At the moment he's cutting out scrap wood to make me an ink pad holder, an ATG holder, and a heat gun stand. I found the pictures on line. Once I show him something, if he can't build it, he finds someone who can. He's trying to come up with a design for a combo unit for the ATG and heat gun holders. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

And, most importantly, he also shows lots of patience when on shopping trips as I browse the craft stores and scrapbooking stores searching for great deals.

So, take a moment to use this thread to give a shout out to the spouse, partner, boyfriend/girlfriend or main squeeze that helps support your addiction to this lovely hobby!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #77
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I originally wanted to get married between Christmas and New Years, envisioning my bridesmaids with white fur muffs and red velvet dresses with the church already decorated with poinsettias ... but my mother threatened to kill me if I got married that time of year LOL!
Wow. Substitute golf for hunting & fishing and you have my DH. Holiday weddings are really pretty, but you never know when there will be an ice storm and you won't be able to get into the car in a timely manner because all the buddies stuffed it full of newspapers. Wearing Mom's dress with a hoopskirt didn't give my legs much protection!

We were married Jan 4, 1985 and had pretty much the same kind of agreements. Of course, none of us had any money starting out, and I didn't craft like I do now. My free time for the first few years was spent cheering on his softball team. When our first son, Cole, was born he was playing five games a week, but he cut back to three the summer before Michael came. By that time Cole was starting to play team sports so Andy coached and I did the team mom thing. After all the years of marching band, football, baseball, soccer, & basketball I think he figures I've paid my dues and now that the boys are grown (Michael just graduated high school) I've earned the time in my scrap room.

We're both good at repurposing, so he's helped me re-work pieces I've scavenged or found on the cheap. He recently brought home some glass shelves that worked great for covering my countertop. His office was getting rid of their old "mailbox" shelves which work great for 8.5 x 11's. I didn't have room for them but he brought them home anyway so I could give them to crafty friends who need them! The coolest thing he ever made was a work table that fit in an alcove of our bedroom. He put what amounts to a giant keyboard tray on it so I could leave a layout in progress. When I push the tray back under the tabletop it's protected! I've outgrown that alcove now, but still use the table.

Andy has actually bought cards from me for work (expense account!) and I've helped with some of the displays he needs in stores. Anytime someone at his office has a new baby or grandbaby he asks me to make a 6x6 or 8x8 album for them. I get the feeling he brags on my work a lot at the office!

After 26 years together you know you are going to get on each others' nerves from time to time (I like the Big Shot comment from early on in the thread!) but you also know when to let stuff go or walk away for an hour or two. Just last night I told him I love him about 98.2% of the time. He was pretty happy with that percentage!
Great thread!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm constantly amazed at how supportive my hubby is. He knows I deliberate over most purchases now that I have more than the basics--mostly because in the "early years" as we raised our three kids on one teacher's salary. He built our house around us and I sewed clothing and did cooking/baking on a budget. Since we had no extra money (heck, we often didn't have enough money for the basics) we didn't go out, vacations were tent camping at a nearby stream, and gifts were all homemade, what we did on a regular basis for survival reasons were our creative outlet. I created many an outfit out of scraps given to me and he was a wizard making plywood look great! Now, after 43 years of marriage, children making more money now than we did combined at retirement, we have enough money for both our hobbies---mine has added stamping and his has added triathlons. Think even if he spent less than me (which he doesn't, with woodworking tools, an entire new building for his shop--I have my craft room in my daughter's old 10 x 12 bedroom-- wood and other supplies, bikes, trainers for running, swimming, and biking (as we live where it is still snowing today), shoes, wet suits, bike shorts, etc. as well as entry fees and the cost of travel/lodging for triathlon races which far out-cost even my wildest spending dreams, he would still be supportive and encourage me to "just buy it" when I deliberate over purchases, and I encourage him to get the tools and equipment he needs. He does not often critique my work, but will give me an honest opinion when asked and he will ask me my preferences on a piece of furniture he's working on. I go to all his races, cheer him on, take pictures and make him scrapbook (which he loves and looks at lots) and he will take me to every stamp store I can find on our many trip around the country. He sits in the car rather than go in with me, but that's OK by me. He has built all the beautiful oak storage for my craft room, always asks if I can use anything before throwing it away, and never minds when I have a housefull of gals over to stamp. The bottom line is we are both all for whatever make's the other happy because that makes us happy. Thanks for this thread. I'm going right now and give my hubby a big hug and a kiss to let him know how much I appreciate him.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #79
Polyshrink Goddess

My husband is very supportive. I stopped working upon our marriage 10 years ago and well he had no problem getting rid of a dining room (we have an eat in kit.) and change it into a craft room for me. He has put together lots of cabinets and shelving for me. Everything we buy obviously comes from him working since I am a SAHM of a 3 Yr Old we adopted. I never go over budget! He has expensive hobbies like gun collecting, hunting, fishing and target shooting that I think he spends more then me on hobbies.

Sheena
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #80
Embossing Fanatic

Oh! Leslie, & "Flash & Rusty" -- how could I forget the gifts! We do those the same way too. When we were adding on to our house we bought bathroom fixtures for Christmas & anniversary gifts. There probably aren't too many girls out there that can say they got a toilet for their 11th anniversary! It's ok--he surprised me with an amazing trip to Hawaii for our 20th and gave me a beautiful diamond as we watched the sunset on the beach. Our male friends weren't very happy with him for setting the standard so high! lol