Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #81
Forum Fanatic

I thought Jack Frost was the movie with Michael Keeton where he was killed in a car accident and came back as a snow man to help his son.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #82
Mad Swapper

there were 2 movies called Jack Frost
Old 07-29-2004, 07:40 AM   #83
Forum Fanatic

See the Jack Frost movie I am thinking of was sweet.

Definitely not scary like those two.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #84
Kookie Creator

AAAGGHHHH!H!!!!!!! I'm gonna have nightmares about those snowmen!!!
You guys are too funny!!
Gretchen in SC
Old 07-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #85
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm so glad I'm in Florda - those creepy Frosty Knockoffs wouldn't survive long enough to reach me! YIKES those are scary! LOL
Old 07-29-2004, 07:57 AM   #86
Mad Swapper

I have to agree with Waterpixie...that Santa was definitely inspired by Lord of the Rings. I don't think Hobbits even celebrate Christmas!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 AM   #87
Die Cut Diva

Oh boy! Just started looking at this thread...and laughing my butt off!

I do not like Clarence...nothing personal against him. I just have never liked clowns!

The children are sweet in a creepy sort of way...gotta watch out for them!

The dog is the one I'm scared of! I was talking to my upline about that one the other day and we agreed that it looks posessed (sp?)!!!!

The pig and the monkey are not to my tastes, but they don't creep me out.

Combat Santa is just WRONG in every sense of the word. I would never make a card for a child with that stamp!

Anyway...keep up the good stories...I'm lovin' it!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 AM   #88
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaisleyPrincess
there were 2 movies called Jack Frost

ROTFLMAO - and my co workers now KNOW I'm insane. They only see my purchasing screen.......LOL...

Those two snowmen are going to ruin me! I thought Clarence was freaky!

And Jan.....you SLAY me with your stories of Clarence. It kinda scares me that you hear him talking to you, though!

You do almost make him loveable. ALMOST. He will always creep me out...

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 07-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #89
Inking Addict

OMG!! I just came home from the post office and low and behold, what did appear before my eyes??? YEP the ten most wanted posters, and you know who was there, the Santa, The clown and four lil midgets that pose as children that have robbed the country blind.. Who knew that someone who created those rubber stamps, thought wow these images are so vivid in my mind I must apply them to rubber someone, somewhere must want them.. hmmm why oh why are these images so vivid on my mind?? Well that artist had just stood in line for up to an hour at the post office trying to mail out the Christmas cards they had made by hand... now we all know where those stamps came from .. the help wanted posters at the post offices.. We can just peek ahead to the spring mini or next years cattie by keeping track of who appears on the wall of shame at the post office.

TTFN
Old 07-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #90
Pearl-ExPert

My heart is still pounding - I got an email saying someone replied and I hit the link and the scan of the nasty snowmen is the first thing I see! If I have a nightmare tonight, someone's phone is gonna ring when I wake up in a panic!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:18 AM   #91
Stampin' Fool

Yall are horrible! I don't like Clarence the clown. I do love Clarence the sweet DH tho! lol I like the santa (love santas and collect them anyway). I kinda like the children...yes I have seen all the Children of the Corn movies and corn fields not freak me out...I just cant figure out enough things to do with them so they are way way down on my wish list. I don't think they look evil at all! I like the diversity. My dh is black and so I try to make white children from Kids at Play look black when I use this set to send cards to his family. I finally gave up. It always looked like the black barbies...white barbie w/ black color. lol

I do like the santa but that is just too much coloring for xmas cards! I still don't have my comp catty and mini so I am holding out hope still.
Member #3785
Old 07-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #92
SCS Moderator

I think the little African-American girl is the only cute one-she has not yet been taken over by the corn!!

As much as I don't like that set, I am glad to see a bit of diversity in the catalog. My family is also multi-racial, so I am happy to see a little movement in that area.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #93
Forum Fanatic

Default `

Tape Transfer. You could take a picture of a corn field and then you could tape transfer the picture to the background and have the children coming out of the corn. Sorry ~ drove past the corn fields again at lunch and the thought came to me since I've been dilligently following this thread!!
Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #94
Rubber Obsessor

Default BOO

I dont know if anyone else has noticed or not BUT
when I was looking through my catalog I came upon the Charming Children and I thought "how cute, how could anyone not like them" then I popped on over and it hit me square in the face!!!!!!! The spookiest sight ever talk about Children of the Corn

THE SPORTS FAN WHEEL !!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the monster from SCREAM about 100 of em
NO WAY will I be buying that one!!!
Anyway thought of this thread when I saw that!! had to come share it with all of you
Old 07-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #95
Stampin' Fool

Ok, i admit it.. I like this set.. BUT the "oh yes" boy is creepy.. what's up with his face?? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the little African American girl. I have a multi-racial family.. SO I'd really like to see some more diverse sets in the future..
Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #96
Pearl-ExPert

OMG scrapheap - I wasn't going to buy that wheel, but now I know why! It is creepy. And the COTC kids - diversity is great, but this set looks like the designer couldn't decide - Real? Caricature? A bit of both? They are too real to amuse me, too "off" to charm me. I have had lots of laughs reading this. And Jan, don't worry about Clarence. Jerseyans all know Jimmy Hoffa is buried in the Meadowlands. Clarence is in the clear.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:47 PM   #97
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scdecker
. Jerseyans all know Jimmy Hoffa is buried in the Meadowlands. Clarence is in the clear.
Didn't you see "Bruce Almighty"? LOL. (In the movie Jim Carrey has a dog "find" a body right in front of the cops, and it's Jimmy Hoffa.....and Jim Carrey gets the exclusive story ~ was quite funny!)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 07-29-2004, 05:17 PM   #98
Mad Swapper

OMG! This thread is H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S! I want my pain meds cause I'll dream of that scary clown!

Schrades
Old 07-29-2004, 07:46 PM   #99
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

And Jan, don't worry about Clarence. Jerseyans all know Jimmy Hoffa is buried in the Meadowlands. Clarence is in the clear.
Duh I had a blonde moment duh I was born and raised in Jersey too I should have known that

Oh my gosh those snowman pics are scary. Ha I thought the sledding snowmen looked like me and dh and one of the kids trying to sled! ha And the skating one is most definatly me on skates all ready to fall over! hahahaha

Now last year when I first saw Fishy Friends I did not like them and thought they were freaky, but I can't believe all the swaps I got with that set and they look really good! I had a brief moment of consideration there. So maybe this thread would be a great challenge for someone out there to make us all want Clarance, Santa and COTC. Actually Jan did a great job with CLarence.

Ohhh that's it ha the thread that they asked what we wanted to see the DD do a challenge for them... how about the COTC set and the Santa guy??? Would that be ok to ask for that? Would we get booted out if we ask? WOuld they take the challenge??? AM I crazy for thinking this???
Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #100
SCS Moderator

What I think is funny is that we now refer to themsimply as Calrence, Santa and (my favorite) the COTC kids!

I had lunch with a friend today and gave her a new catalog. Her pick for creepiest? The mini dogs! Not a big fan of the kids either, but the dogs were a no-go for her.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:05 PM   #101
Hardware Hotshot

what dogs?? I have to see which dogs??? Oh my catty is sitting here which page? Going to go search for the dogs....
Old 07-30-2004, 05:25 AM   #102
Gallery Gazer

Well, no one won the prize at my workshop for using any of the "buzz" words for the stamp sets in question. But when I mentioned that WE commonly refer to the kids as the COTC, there were some wide eyes and giggles! Mostly the "I don't get them" kind of comments too. AND I was trying to share my amusement with the DH and, well, he just "umm, hmmmed" me - MEN!

Off to share this thread with those who need a great laugh!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:39 AM   #103
Kookie Creator

OHH paisley princess--you are Too Funny! that's exactly what I'm talking about-Jack Frost-those scary snowmen-those pictures bring back nightmares!-and I agree with that "go team go wheel"--- those aren't people, those are zombies!

some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #104
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

ya never really noticed that way to fat Santa either... I would hope those kids, santa and a couple of other sets never make it back in the catalog!! But lets see if Clarence makes it in next years catalog!!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:20 AM   #105
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, I'm sitting at my computer and started to read this thread, I don't have my cattie handy so I thought I'll go to the gallery and see what the set looks like...... NOT ONE CARD SAMPLE!

I guess not many people really do like it!

Jeannie
Old 07-30-2004, 06:30 AM   #106
Rubber Obsessor

Who's doing it. My computer is acting crazy and my printer has gone nuts. Is is Clarence, the kids, or that pup in the shoe? Have none of these sets in my house, so it must be coming thru SCS.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #107
Insane Embellisher

OK- I just had to check out all the sets in this thread and share my humble opinion. Keep in mind I'm the eternal optimist:
Sports Fan wheel (p. 121)- I see the ghoulishness there... but if you inked it with a bright happy color on a sports scrap page maybe it wouldn't look so creepy. It doesn't look as creepy on the box and tag they've used it on.
Magic & Wonder (p. 47) - Santa could use some jogs with Rudolph..he's pretty heavy. But his tummy is supposed to shake like a bowl full of jelly when he laughs... I think those "combat boots" are necessary to support his weight.
Charming Children (p. 106) - I don't think they look scary but the little girl with her hands by her face saying OH MY! Would make a nice Halloween card. I think they are cute... but I never watch horror movies so no children scare me.
It's a Party (p. 87) - Like the other sets on the list, this on is not on my wish list or my style. But, I do think it's cute! I'm trying to see the monkey as freaky... nope, can't, he's just cute.
Isn't it great we have the freedom to our opinions and the freedom to choose the stamps we want to buy? Can you imagine if we were in some communist country and their was only one government approved stamp set? Shiver...now that's freaky.

I think the long and short of it is that the catalog is getting more diverse and so they may be more things some people don't like. However, there will be more things that appeal to more people so I think SU is smart to diversify. Also for the people like me, who went hog-wild and have 100s of stamps just a few years into the hobby... I'm looking at the catty and saying "oh, I have nothing like that!"

Free to stamp!
Anita
Old 07-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #108
Inking Addict

Default printer problem?

Could it be that alien stamp? in the out of the world set on page 120???
Old 07-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #109
Forum Fanatic

Okay ~ the sports fans are freaky!! It looks like Scream people all lined up. Oh, the horrors!!

I think the puppy is cute, but now I have to look again. Those aliens are weird and the block heads ~ but I can see a juvenile boys card from the block heads.

It's funny how we all see things that aren't supposed to be there. At first I couldn't figure out why we had a set called Erotic Flowers.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:26 AM   #110
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
It's funny how we all see things that aren't supposed to be there. At first I couldn't figure out why we had a set called Erotic Flowers.
ROFLMAO! I read the SAME THING! And this after the flower that got introduced in last year's catalog. The Elegant Rose? I thought that one looked like an anatomy book illustration!

Different strokes for different folks! Just glad to see Pastoral Toile guy gone. I love Toile, but could never get into him!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #111
Gallery Gazer

I'm not a fan of the the It's a Party with monkey, cow and pig - mostly because I haven't really seen anything like it. BUT I was shopping with two 9 year olds at the Limited Too today and I saw LOTS of that type of art work! I was amazed! The set is still not on my wish list, but I can see the applications for it now. Boy and I thought I was a hip mom! I'm going to have to check out the wheel closer now. Kind of neat the different things you can see in a stamp set!
Old 08-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #112
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I just found this thread after it was referenced in another one. I am dying laughing over here! Y'all are too funny.

When I was looking through the new catty for the first time, my SU demonstrator and I agreed that we knew girls who look like the two in the Charming Children set. I don't know if I'll be able to look at them with a straight face again.

JMO, but I don't think the kids and the puppies are that bad. Santa, Clarence, the monkey and the nursery rhyme people are definitely not my type. But what is up with those faces in "Heads Up"??? YIKES. The word stamps in that set are pretty cool, but those faces look like they've had a few too many cans of Milwaukee's Best that have sat out in the sun for a couple of years.

I got a laugh out of the Dale Earnhardt, Jr./JR Ewing mixup too.

*Sigh* Back to reality now. And I thought "Many Moos" and "Darling Dragons" were bad!! LOL
Old 08-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #113
Glitter Queen

Default out of the loop

I'm lost---who/what is clarence?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #114
Rubber Obsessor

Clarence is the clown in the Jest Friends set from SU's summer mini catalog.
I thought he was a bit creepy too!

But the Santa in Magic & Wonder is just Gimley, the Dwarf in Lord of the Rings, having a bit of fun after helping to save Middle Earth.

To be honest I'm more scared of the Triffid-like plant in Calming garden, even if it is contained in a Bonsai pot, and the bride in Here Comes the Bride has no expression on her face! Is this an attack of Botox, or just what getting married does to you?

Cate
Old 08-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #115
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh no, Cate! Don't say that about Gimli!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #116
Pearl-ExPert

The Botox Bride! I'm in tears. All this time I've been focused on her wash boiler proportion hips. Can anyone say thighmaster?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #117
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

The Botox Bride! I'm in tears. All this time I've been focused on her wash boiler proportion hips. Can anyone say thighmaster?
LOL......I've had to bite my lip not to say anything about her since I got my catty. LOL...I find now I'm taking a longer, harsher look at everything now!!

Old 08-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #118
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I did it! I read all 115 posts of this hillarious thread! I'm late, but I had a BLAST! It's not that I'm against diversity, I'm just against bad art. Those kids have an ODD look to them, & because they're humans, you're left w/ thinking, "Creepy!". Too real, too cartoony, too out of proportion! I don't study any pics that take too much coloring: Clarence, Rhyme Time men in a tub, dogs, etc = cannot color well enough to make them look good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some name brand monkey that looks just like our monkey? I went to the beach w/ my daughter's 4th grade class for 3 days this spring & several of the kids kept wearing clothes & even high top tennies w/ the same monkey on it. So I decided monkey is part of a hip designer club & he's allowed a cow & pig to party w/ him.

Anyway, thanks so much for the laughs! My husband just couldn't even stay around long enough to listen to how funny this was. Imagine, stamps bore him! Juddaca
Old 08-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #119
Rubber Obsessor

Waterpixie,
I love Gimli, but am mad about Frodo (and have been since the equivalence of 8th Grade many moons ago), but I really do think that Santa looks like John Rhys Davies dressed as Gimli.

My other thought on the Botox Bride is:
"Why is shestuffed into a huge meringue?"

The problem now is that I'm combing the catalog for other interesting sets!
Cate
Old 08-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #120
Matboard Maniac

This thread is HYSTERICAL!! Being a first grade teacher, this in particular made me LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbyanita
Charming Children (p. 106) - I don't think they look scary but the little girl with her hands by her face saying OH MY! Would make a nice Halloween card. I think they are cute... but I never watch horror movies so no children scare me.
Take it from me, you don't have to watch a horror movie to be scared by some children!!

Ashley