Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2004, 06:13 AM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default Which Xyron is best?

I'm looking to buy a Xyron laminating machine, I dont need anything big..like the 900, but I like the features of the 510. Is there anyone who has a 510? is it a good item? or is there a better one out there?

I want to be able to make stickers with it. I've searched the web, not to many stores will ship to APO,AP addresses, Like Michaels.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

I got my Xyron 510 from QVC with 4 different rolls of adhesives, laminates and magnetic sheets. It was like $28 for the introductory price, I see now though that it's gone up quite a bit. There's a new one listed too a Xyron "cheetah" I'm not sure what that is, but I may have to investigate! lol QVC will probably deliver for you also!

Also I don't know if you're interested but I also have the Xyron "X" and I love it! I use it much more than my 510, because the refills are cheaper and if you're only making small stickers like sizzix letters (for example) it's the perfect size! It's only about $10 too!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:50 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Peanut

You can also try Joann.com. They usually offer coupons and have good sales and from what I can tell they will ship to APO/FPO. I have the little "X" xyron and I think I have the 500 but so far I have used the "X" more than the bigger one. It is really good if you have a snowflake punch or other small cutouts that you want to cover with glitter. Good luck and hopefully you can find what you want. I would even get it for you and mail it if you want!! Can't go without stamping stuff, plus I know what it is like to be overseas and can't always get what you want.

Take Care!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for your replies, and THANK you for offering to send it to me, that was very thoughtful.

What size of sticker will the X make?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

I have the X, the 510 and the 900. Have never used the X. Love the 510 and the 900. Got the 510 at a supersale and is used ALOT. I laminate copies of the stampsets in each box for one thing. The great thing about the 900 is you can do full 8 1/2 X 11 sheets. But, if all you are going to do is make stickers you might get away with the 500. Warning though, once you have one, you will be thinking of many ways to use it - I have laminated many a hunting license for the guys, along with boat registrations, etc. If you have kids, they will want to use it for school. So be sure to have plenty of tapes.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Matboard Maniac

The sticker strip is about 1.5" wide and however long the strip is on the roll. I used it to make punch outs from my SU punches into stickers. HTH and if you need me to mail I will!!

Renee
Old 10-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Matboard Maniac

You ladies are so awesome,

I'm surfing as we speak, what does it mean when the refill says its
repositionable?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Matboard Maniac

That means that you can move it around that is good if you are doing a masking technique but if you are doing something to put on a card you want the permanent one.

Renee'
Old 10-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
Crimping Master

As a result of extensive research, a couple of glasses of wine & a slight obsession, I've figured out some of the differences between Xyrons.

Attached is a chart from www.wilde-ideas.com that shows the differences between the various Xyron machines. (it's all the way down at the bottom of the post) You can also get specs on the Xyrons @ www.xyron.com.

Here's a link to a Xyron catalog w/ LOTS of info:
http://www.piareps.com/XyronCatalog.pdf

It's in .pdf format so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it. Watch out!! It describes all the Xyron products - I had no idea they made all that stuff. And of course I need a LOT of it!!

Back to the Xyron sticker makers: I think you first have to decide the width you want. Don't want one too big because then if you're just making something narrow, you waste the rest of the width. Some folks have a couple of them so they can do small things w/o wasting the adhesive.

You also have to decide what you want it to do. They all can put adhesive on paper, but the 150, 250 & 500 don't laminate while the higher numbers do (check the chart), and some use "general use" adhesive rather than acid free.

Then there are the Xyrons with different product numbers like the 503 which is a 510 with a different model number on it for sale in a package deal with a Dymo labelmaker & available only for a short while in KMart and Office Depot. If you run across one of those, check wilde-ideas & you can tell by what cartidges it accepts what it is equivalent to.

To complicate things, there's another one that seems to be available in the UK that's now becoming available in the US. It's the Xyron Cheetah & comes in either a 2" width or a 4" width. Instead of applying a solid adhesive backing, it applies adhesive dots. I couldn't find it by searching on the Xyron web site, but I googled it & found a link to the Xyron site. Not sure why it's not available via search; likely because it's new here. (The Xyron 2004 catalog link above says its's "coming soon".) Seems as if it has only permanent adhesive, not repositionable, and doesn't laminate.

Prices:
I've been looking around for the past couple of days & it seems that wilde-ideas has the best stand-alone prices but there are some decent bundle prices out there at other places.

For example, QVC has the 510 & 250 bundled with extra cartridges (but make sure you actually want the cartridges in the bundle; the 510 comes with one full size permanent and one full size repositionable cartridge. (By the way, they say it's 3 cartridges, but there's a starter cartridge that comes with it & it's only 7 ft. instead of full size (20 ft.).

QVC also has the 2" and 4" Cheetah bundled together w/ one cartidge each for $25.37

efore I ran across the Cheetah I was thinking of the 510 and either a 150 or a 250. But now I'm thinking maybe a 510 and a 2" Cheetah. Gotta check the refill costs tho.

That's way enough for now!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XrnSpecs.pdf (6.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-13-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Spammie this is sooo cool!!! What a great resource to have for future reference! Thank you!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you spammie. Helps me lots in deciding!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM   #12
Polyshrink Goddess

spammie: I have a xyron & am not looking for anything, but I have to say that your most informative post was hillarious. I followed all your points w/ perfect logic & was highly entertained to the last word! It must've been the wine, or the steel - trap mind! Keep us updated on that Cheeta thingy! I can't wait to hear what you actually buy. You've convinced me so much, I'll be lucky if I don't get talked into re-buying what I have! After all, you WILL find the ultimate bargain. I'm 100% positive of that!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #13
Crimping Master

Ok, so it wasn't a "slight" obsession....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 PM   #14
Matboard Maniac

WOW...Thank you.

Now I have a Headache....lol.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:39 PM   #15
Matboard Maniac

OK, this is what happened, too funny.
I went to Joann.com and they had a coupon for 40% off any ONE item, and its only good for Wednesday, I was SO upset, I missed it. so I contacted them, and was gonna whine and whine. well LONG story short. You know I live in Japan, and we are 15 hrs ahead of Mountain time zone.... SO IT STILL WAS WEDNESDAY, Oh I was so .
I ended up ordering the 510 and I threw in some refills, I really wanted the Magnet Cartridge, but it was 35-39$ cant remember. So my DH ordered it for me, on his work puter and he also got the 40% off.

So Total with the Machine, 3 reills and the Magnet was just $104.26

Thanks for all your help, and spammie, your awesome!!! way to funny.