Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Workshops, Open Houses & Other Opportunities

Hi all,

I'm new to SU...REALLY new...just got my kit yesterday, and I have an Open House scheduled and was wondering what sort of display ideas have worked for you in the past. My goal for this Open House is to get leads since I am new to my area and don't know many people.

Obviously having plenty of business cards is a plus, but can you suggest other items that will be helpful? What displays or demonstrations have worked for you? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lynn, I'm VERY close to St. Louis (10 minutes). Welcome to SU! I absolutley love it. I joined in August. I joined more as a hobby demo but I've been doing really well since it's Christmas card time. I sell allot to friends and co-workers. I've found that showing a variety of stuff that you can stamp on works really well. In my office I have displays for co-workers to see. Candles, calendars, tiles, picture frames, etc. that I've stamped on. They love to see all of the different things that you can do with stamps.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 06:45 AM   #3  

Thanks for the encouragement Casey. I joined SU for similar reasons to the ones you listed, and my main goal is to make enough to meet my quarterly quota, but I'm open to the idea of doing much more!

I would be interested in attending any workshops that you may have coming up in the near future, if your hostess wouldn't mind. I've very interested in observing other SU demonstrators. Send me a personal message so we can discuss.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I am not a demo, but here are a couple of things I like to see as a customer:

1. A variety of cards for the current season.

2. Different items you can make, like candles, coasters, magnets, etc.

3. A little "thanks for coming" gift; doesn't have to be big, even a lifesaver in a matchbook cover would work.

4. Small gift if you place an order, like a few strands of ribbon, etc.

Good luck with your open house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sma499
I am not a demo, but here are a couple of things I like to see as a customer:

1. A variety of cards for the current season.

2. Different items you can make, like candles, coasters, magnets, etc.

3. A little "thanks for coming" gift; doesn't have to be big, even a lifesaver in a matchbook cover would work.

4. Small gift if you place an order, like a few strands of ribbon, etc.

Good luck with your open house!
Thanks, Sharon. Those are all wonderful ideas, and coming from a customer carries a lot weight with me!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a customer also and what I love about my demo is that she always shows something new that you can do with the stamps - without having to invest in a lot of extra supplies. When she does workshops she usually does 4 to 5 demonstrations - 3 she gives to the hostess as a gift and 2 every guest gets to make.

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- For an Open House could you do a couple of make and takes for the guests?
- I also think what would interest me is seeing several different things you can make with 1 (2 at the most) stamp sets - thinking holiday gifts to give
- What about small candy pieces (like the hershey's minis) wrapped with a stamped label as a little thank you
- what about holiday wish list for the customers to fill out that you can then contact the family members for filling
- Can you show grouping of gift ideas (for giving) for different categories of people / $ to spend?

I was a demo for a different DS company and these are the kind of things we would have out at an OH.

Sorry a little long.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Aside from the card and other stamping samples you may have... you may want to Think about writing up a flyer to promote joining a stampers club, or info about classes you are offering (for starters- a birthday card class is always a hit!)... If you don't know much about a stampers club- do a search here on SCS... you'll find lots of info!! You can also offer a free INspiration sheet from your starter kit to all who attend, it's a nice way to share SU! and don't forget about technique booklets- they're always great to show how versatile stamps are! And be sure to put your contact info on the back of this material!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn.MA
Aside from the card and other stamping samples you may have... you may want to Think about writing up a flyer to promote joining a stampers club, or info about classes you are offering (for starters- a birthday card class is always a hit!)... If you don't know much about a stampers club- do a search here on SCS... you'll find lots of info!! You can also offer a free INspiration sheet from your starter kit to all who attend, it's a nice way to share SU! and don't forget about technique booklets- they're always great to show how versatile stamps are! And be sure to put your contact info on the back of this material!
All wonderful ideas, Dawn. It's so very helpful to know that any question I have about anything related to SU can be answered at this site! I value everyone's experience and appreciate you taking the time to respond!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaclarke
I am a customer also and what I love about my demo is that she always shows something new that you can do with the stamps - without having to invest in a lot of extra supplies. When she does workshops she usually does 4 to 5 demonstrations - 3 she gives to the hostess as a gift and 2 every guest gets to make.

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- For an Open House could you do a couple of make and takes for the guests?
- I also think what would interest me is seeing several different things you can make with 1 (2 at the most) stamp sets - thinking holiday gifts to give
- What about small candy pieces (like the hershey's minis) wrapped with a stamped label as a little thank you
- what about holiday wish list for the customers to fill out that you can then contact the family members for filling
- Can you show grouping of gift ideas (for giving) for different categories of people / $ to spend?

I was a demo for a different DS company and these are the kind of things we would have out at an OH.

Sorry a little long.

Karen
Thanks for those ideas. I hadn't thought of "wish lists", but we ALL have wish lists during the holidays, right?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Default Open House

I am also a SU! demonstrator and am doing my first Open House in 2 weeks, but have been a demo for 2 years. I have found that the Wish List that you can print from the SU! demo website is always a big hit. Another hit is the gift certificates you can order from the printing company that does our business cards. Post it note holders are great and inexpensive gifts and then customers have a way to mark the pages in the catalog. Any cards that you have made in the past set out are great for people to look at. My personal favorite item to do are wooden picture frames. The unfinished ones are inexpensive at Michaels. I paint them a base color with paint (usually acrylic) and then stamp them using either the Craft inks or if you don't have them acrylic paint and a sponge paint brush. When I first started these I used only acrylic paints until I could get some of the craft inks. Painting a frame with a dark color (red, navy blue, black) and stamping with the white craft ink is simple and beautiful.
Good luck!
Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 04:10 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

hi i am just a tad south of you - i joined in aug and had an awesome oh in sept and will have a holiday one here in a couple weeks.. i took pictures of my displays i did i will see if i can get them to post later
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. Louis
Hi all,

I'm new to SU...REALLY new...just got my kit yesterday, and I have an Open House scheduled and was wondering what sort of display ideas have worked for you in the past. My goal for this Open House is to get leads since I am new to my area and don't know many people.

Obviously having plenty of business cards is a plus, but can you suggest other items that will be helpful? What displays or demonstrations have worked for you? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

In case it hasn't been mentioned (I didn't read the entire thread), this is a most excellent question to ask in the Demonstrator Only Forums:

SU! Demonstrator Only Forums at SCS

The above link will give you all the information you need to know about joining, and it is an awesome resource for demonstrators, and a great place to hold business related discussions.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #13  

Thank you, Your Royal Rubberness...lol. I have put in my request for admittance into this elite group. Thank you for helping me get around this lovely site.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #14  
~~Triple S Threat~~

Lynn I am a new demo I joined in October. I had an open house last Saturday. In my house the back entry is right where the washer and dryer sits. On the dryer I put different items that I have made in the past and some that I have been given. It put a little wow right when they came in the door. On my dining room table at one end I put the ink pads, refills, markers, punches and misc other SU products that I had. This gave the people that have never stamped a chance to see the products up close. I had two make and takes for them. One was a full card and the other was a Christmas tag. They loved both projects and I also had enough door prizes for everyone. Prizes were markers in the old colors, sponges that were cut in 1/4ths, a journal that I covered and the best was 1/2 sheet of every color in the bold brights family. I have several interested in classes and one that wants a home workshop. Oh I had around 14 here between 3 and 6 PM. I also gave them free shipping for that day, since this was to be my first order going in. They loved that and I had a great show.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi, I am a new demo too & planning on open house at the end of the month. I just recently posted a ? regarding this too. Mine is posted on the demos only part of the site. You got some wonderful ideas! Good Luck with your OH!!
Reply With Quote Likes