Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Good point!

We all have so much passion for this stuff, don't we!!??

indeed we do!

have a great weekend and happy stamping... either mounted or unmounted!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #122
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, didn't you already address this issue on your blog? I just returned from there (your blog) and couldn't find the post where you predicted that not only was Stampin' Up! going to change over to clear stamps all the way, but that Papertrey was going to switch to wood-mounted only, and you and Krabearkub (or someone else) were going to run for president and vice-president on the same ticket??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #123
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by honiView Post
Every time I want new paper towels I do not want to have to buy a new paper towel holder, even if the price is exactly the same, even if others want to buy a new holder every time, even if the wood for the holders are grown in a special holder forest, even if........
I'm confused....
Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #124
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by honiView Post
Every time I want new paper towels I do not want to have to buy a new paper towel holder, even if the price is exactly the same, even if others want to buy a new holder every time, even if the wood for the holders are grown in a special holder forest, even if........
Great analogy! But...I have to play devil's advocate. If I had 5 paper towel designs that I LOVED and wanted to use them on a whim whenever I wanted, I would hate to waste the time to take the old ones off the holder and put the new ones on!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #125
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
Great analogy! But...I have to play devil's advocate. If I had 5 paper towel designs that I LOVED and wanted to use them on a whim whenever I wanted, I would hate to waste the time to take the old ones off the holder and put the new ones on!
Great point!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #126
Stazon Splitcoast

I think a CHOICE would be great. the debate over unmounted/mounted and rubber/acrylic will go on forever and there will never be a clear winner in that debate.

so in the long run I think what most want is a more affordable option to what they currently offer. in price and storage.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #127
Kookie Creator

It's been very interesting reading this thread. Acrylics have also had their ups and downs with time. Provo Craft introduced them about 10 years ago in stores like Michaels. They sold very poorly. Now they are having a surge.

When I went to a CTMH/SU! open house, none of us (SU! customers) knew to use the foam sheet until the CTMH demo told us. Without it, the image didn't come out clearly. I haven't seen the foam sheet offered by other companies with each stamp set (but now I'm sure many of you will tell me that _____ company does it--I'm just saying I hadn't seen it from the admittedly few companies from whom I've bought acrylics in the past 10 years or so).

I worry about the yellowing and hardening of acrylics. I have seen that happen--sometimes when they are still in the store for sale!

Looking at my LSS, over 95% of the stamps are wood mounted. There's very little acrylic and VERY few unmounted. (This is the largest stamp store in NC, so I'm not talking small store). Maybe they just don't overhaul their inventory much (which I doubt is true), or maybe their customer base prefers wood mounted.

Seems like the internet shops are big on acrylics while the stores not as much.

I like the acrylics for lining up alphabets and 2-step stamping, but I prefer wood mounted (I hate the extra step of mounting and unmounting stamps--I rarely use my CTMH because I'm lazy), and I think rubber stamps are better quality than acrylic.

That said, I will buy what I like--however it's provided!

My final answer to the question is that if acrylics continue to show staying power and popularity, SU! will eventually follow the trend. As stated earlier, probably with a few sets first (alphabets, 2-step stampin') and if those succeed, then make the move complete.

The cost factor will also be important. Being a regular LSS shopper, I know that SU! is a MUCH better value over other companies' wood-mounted stamps. However, the sets do get pricey. If a recession gets serious (as there is talk it will), I could see SU! making a switch that would help them to still sell stamps (so if acrylics are less to make, then they would make the switch in order to keep selling).

Wait and see!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #128
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Joan, didn't you already address this issue on your blog? I just returned from there (your blog) and couldn't find the post where you predicted that not only was Stampin' Up! going to change over to clear stamps all the way, but that Papertrey was going to switch to wood-mounted only, and you and Krabearkub (or someone else) were going to run for president and vice-president on the same ticket??
I believe that was "Dear Paperlicious" -- the advice columnist who takes over my blog once in a while!!!