Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #81
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
YES!! I was upset to see the postage on the envie when I received my order. It was for under $3. I feel that I am being "penalized" beause I can't order through a demo with a party. I have to order through a website.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the shipping charges, I wasn't real happy when they changed it last year.

I was told by the Home Office that the charges are for both shipping & handling.

Also from what I understand at one time TAC was eating the shipping charges. This is why they raised their shipping price.

But I'm still happy that they didn't raise the prices of the Stamps or Supplies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #82
Polyshrink Goddess

I LOVE SU, and unmounted all of my 300+ sets on cling foam. I have an easy time selling the plastic cases, not so much on the wood blocks. I wish they would give me the rubber just the way it is with no case or blocks, it would save me the effort to dispose of the stuff. That being said, I don't see it coming anytime soon, until then I can only hope! And yes, I did email SU, and received a form email letting me know they are not going clear. That wasn't my suggestion, but oh well. I won't stop buying SU for any reason, they are my pusher, and I always need a fix =)
Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #83
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW I can believe it took me so long to get the "breeze" joke...TOO FUNNY
Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #84
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampaholic2004View Post
I LOVE SU, and unmounted all of my 300+ sets on cling foam. I have an easy time selling the plastic cases, not so much on the wood blocks. I wish they would give me the rubber just the way it is with no case or blocks, it would save me the effort to dispose of the stuff. That being said, I don't see it coming anytime soon, until then I can only hope! And yes, I did email SU, and received a form email letting me know they are not going clear. That wasn't my suggestion, but oh well. I won't stop buying SU for any reason, they are my pusher, and I always need a fix =)

hey-I thought *I* was your pusher, LOL

Old 01-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #85
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdgeis1View Post
I love stampin up images but absolutely hate paying for wood that i don't use (it about doubles the price of a set so a 12.95 set would be about 6.50 just imagine how many sets you could buy for 50.00 if they were unmounted !
Once again IF SU was to ever offer a true UM option the price would not be half that of a set with wooden blocks...wood blocks are but a very small portion of the overall cost of a stamp set...I would dare say $1 -$3 of the cost depending on the number and size of blocks...so a set that costs 20.95 would maybe cost $17.95...

Su is probably the largest direct sales stamp company...the cost of a stamp set covers ALOT...buildings, employees, benefits, artists, management, etc.. - just because you don't offer blocks doesn't mean the cost of a set is going to be cut in half...not offering blocks isn't going to lessen the fact they need to pay their artists and the employees that answer the phone...

The cost factor is probably the biggest reason SU has decided that at this time offering wood mounted stamps is in their best business interest - because it serves a niche in the stamping world - those that love wood mounted stamps...
Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #86
Polyshrink Goddess

I have purchased many SU! stamps and have unmounted them all. I do this for 2 reasons: a) space issues - I keep them in binders b) I like to use the stamp with an acrylic block. However, I prefer rubber over clear acrylic. I find that I get a much crisper image with rubber as opposed to acrylic.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #87
Insane Embellisher

I would hate to see SU use the clear polymer stamps as you cannot use solvent-based inks with them...and I love using Stazon.

As for the trees being used for blocks, the maple trees need to be at least 10inches in diameter (and probably well over a foot) to get lumber for the blocks. SU has not been around long enough to have grown their own wood. There are loggers that log them out of the woods (most are responsible loggers that only take the appropriate sizes and sell to the sawmills around here, where it is dried, sliced, planed, sides shaped and cut to lengths before being shipped out to Utah. There is a mill about 30 miles from here and I know they have made blocks for some larger stamp company...didn't quite match SU, but they had lotsa blocks. It is possible SU sponsors some sort of re-seeding program, but we're talking many decades before those trees could be lumbered off. It means employment in this area.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

WOW I can believe it took me so long to get the "breeze" joke...TOO FUNNY

Don't feel too bad -- I still don't get it! Guess that's what I get for going so long without visiting this site on a regular basis!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #89
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmeressView Post
I cannot understand why the wood lovers insist that we all must buy wood if we want SU designs. If other companies can make the switch over so very quickly, there is no reason SU cannot do the same.
I don't think anyone has ever insisted that stampers buy from SU -- buy or don't . . . it's your choice. SU charges what they charge and there are plenty of stampers willing to pay their price. Don't like the price SU charges? Buy a different brand.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #90
Glitter Guru

I swear there's a breeze in here again tonight!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #91
SCS Moderator

Isn't it wonderful that there ARE so many options available to people?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #92
Gabfest Goddess

Hey Britta!! Whats shakin'??
Yah I think its GREAT there are options for those so vehemently opposed to SU!!
(ps- go sign up for Jamis Round 2 Phrases for a Friend, then we can be in the same swap!!lol)

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #93
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Don't feel too bad -- I still don't get it! Guess that's what I get for going so long without visiting this site on a regular basis!
You're not the only ones!! LOL

I also don't think that SU will go unmounted. Like has been stated before, wood mounted is their niche.

And Amy.........I know you would never leave nasty comments for anyone!!

Were evolution true, Mothers would have more than 2 hands!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #94
Die Cut Diva

I love the wood..I also hope that SU goes completely die cut! some of my clients have gone (unmounted) but not me..I like the feel of the wood in my hands..
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #95
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

WOW!! After reading all of this....I forgot what the question was....
And I have found a few new interesting blogs I have never seen before!

As for SU! offering unmounted...I am die hard-mounted red rubber stamping FAN...(pun intended) I also use cling, and acrylics...but love my rubber. So, if they were to ever offer it, I would hope they would still allow for the die hards to get their wood mounts.

And I think if sales were to change, that they would consider it. They must be doing ok since there are no plans in the "near" future.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

My vote is for SU to continue offering wood mounted. I prefer the no fuss stamping of just picking up the block, ink, press and voila! There is more chance of success for the novice to get even and stable pressure not to mention more perfect clarity of the image. AND they are easy cleanup. As a demo, it will become more cumbersome to demonstrate and process orders if there is an unmounted and mounted choice. Just my HO. . .
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #97
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I LOVE SU, ..... I wish they would give me the rubber just the way it is with no case or blocks, it would save me the effort to dispose of the stuff. .....
Amen to That!!! I don't know of anyone who would buy my wood blocks as so many people are no longer using them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
Once again IF SU was to ever offer a true UM option the price would not be half that of a set with wooden blocks...wood blocks are but a very small portion of the overall cost of a stamp set...I would dare say $1 -$3 of the cost depending on the number and size of blocks...so a set that costs 20.95 would maybe cost $17.95...
There must be some way all the other companies do it for half price. Dozens of online stores sell their red rubber stamps with both options. -- wood mounted or unmounted. Most of them sell the unmounted for exactly half of the mounted price. If they can do it then SU can do it too.
John 3:16
Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 AM   #98
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Yes The Angel Company aka TAC Changed their shipping charges. to $6.95 Mimimum. BUT! they didn't raise their prices on any of the Stamps or Supplies.
Sorry, I guess I should have added that too, my post was in no way meant to be anything bad about TAC at all..

I will admit, I myself was meeved (like my new word?) over SU's price increases, but alas, I still buy it.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #99
Crimping Master

Default I have a question...

Why is it that when a question like this is posed, people assume it's asking about SU going to Acrylics? It always gets me when someone chimes in with that kind of answer.

So nice to see this thread back on topic

Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #100
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Amen to That!!! I don't know of anyone who would buy my wood blocks as so many people are no longer using them.

There must be some way all the other companies do it for half price. Dozens of online stores sell their red rubber stamps with both options. -- wood mounted or unmounted. Most of them sell the unmounted for exactly half of the mounted price. If they can do it then SU can do it too.
Dozens of online stores do not have the amount of offerings that the SU! catalog does. It all comes down to how many items you want on the pick line. Every item in the catalog has to have its own bin in the warehouse system. Offer a mounted/unmounted option and you would have to have one bin for each option per stamp set, which would increase the amount of bins by around 66%. That would mean they would either have to expand their warehouse, potentially causing the price of everything to go up, or they would have to cut the size of their offerings so that you had less choice.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #101
Gallery Gazer

[There must be some way all the other companies do it for half price. Dozens of online stores sell their red rubber stamps with both options. -- wood mounted or unmounted. Most of them sell the unmounted for exactly half of the mounted price. If they can do it then SU can do it too.[/quote]

I think that cost is for the stamp company mounting the stamp for you, which SU doesn't do anyway. They're not paying for that labor now, so that cost is not there to eliminate, only the actual cost of the wood blocks and bigger boxes.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #102
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I would dare to say it is a factor of a few things...

smaller companies don't have buildings, artists (usually the people who own the company are the artist or pay very little $$ if anything (compensate in other ways) to have other stampers design for them. They are a smaller company therefore WAY lower overhead...if they have employees they only have a few and I am betting they don't pay full time wages and benefits...over time as thier business grows and they have to expand...guess what is the first thing they have to do...increase thier prices...or decide what is best for business...to continue offering mounted vs unmounted or choose a path and stick with it...or make a totally different change...and go to Polymer stamps...Personally I really dislike polymer stamp sets and I have to realllllllllllly love something to buy clear stamps...recently a company I fell in love with decided to switch to polymer stamps from rubber stamps...the chances of me buying from them now has SIGNIFIGANTLY decreased....

Furthermore - if you are comparing single stamps to the cost of a whole stamp set you are going to have some skewed math....for example...in checking around a few companies that sell UM rubber stamps - you can get a small 2" by 1/2" saying for about $2-3....UM....still need the acrylic block and in a few cases...EZmount or cling...that is for 1 saying...with SU - for example Warm Words...set of 8 = $20.95 cost per stamp = $2.62 - WHICH EQUATES TO THE GOING PRICE OF comparable UM RUBBER STAMPS!-

So you buy 8 UM small sayings stamps with cushion from an on-line company @ $2.25 each... = $18... the COMPARABLE SU set costs $20.95...

this is the exact reason I state if SU ever went a block free option (I am going to stop calling it UM...because they sell them UM...you choose to mount them with the blocks provided or not...) you would only see prices for sets drop by $2-3 if that....

It costs money to run a successful company and things don't come cheap...ask GinaK or Papertrey or any of the new stamp compaines on the market...

Can you have a party with an on-line store and earn free stamps and products...

Will an on-line store show you how to use the product or show you new techniques...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #103
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I would dare to say it is a factor of a few things...

smaller companies don't have buildings, artists (usually the people who own the company are the artist or pay very little $$ if anything (compensate in other ways) to have other stampers design for them. They are a smaller company therefore WAY lower overhead...if they have employees they only have a few and I am betting they don't pay full time wages and benefits...over time as thier business grows and they have to expand...guess what is the first thing they have to do...increase thier prices...or decide what is best for business...to continue offering mounted vs unmounted or choose a path and stick with it...or make a totally different change...and go to Polymer stamps...Personally I really dislike polymer stamp sets and I have to realllllllllllly love something to buy clear stamps...recently a company I fell in love with decided to switch to polymer stamps from rubber stamps...the chances of me buying from them now has SIGNIFIGANTLY decreased....

Furthermore - if you are comparing single stamps to the cost of a whole stamp set you are going to have some skewed math....for example...in checking around a few companies that sell UM rubber stamps - you can get a small 2" by 1/2" saying for about $2-3....UM....still need the acrylic block and in a few cases...EZmount or cling...that is for 1 saying...with SU - for example Warm Words...set of 8 = $20.95 cost per stamp = $2.62 - WHICH EQUATES TO THE GOING PRICE OF comparable UM RUBBER STAMPS!-

So you buy 8 UM small sayings stamps with cushion from an on-line company @ $2.25 each... = $18... the COMPARABLE SU set costs $20.95...

this is the exact reason I state if SU ever went a block free option (I am going to stop calling it UM...because they sell them UM...you choose to mount them with the blocks provided or not...) you would only see prices for sets drop by $2-3 if that....

It costs money to run a successful company and things don't come cheap...ask GinaK or Papertrey or any of the new stamp compaines on the market...

Can you have a party with an on-line store and earn free stamps and products...

Will an on-line store show you how to use the product or show you new techniques...
Very well said, logical, factual, and well thought out. You can't argu with the numbers! Way to go!

By the way... I love your Blog!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 AM   #104
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Dozens of online stores do not have the amount of offerings that the SU! catalog does. It all comes down to how many items you want on the pick line. Every item in the catalog has to have its own bin in the warehouse system. Offer a mounted/unmounted option and you would have to have one bin for each option per stamp set, which would increase the amount of bins by around 66%. That would mean they would either have to expand their warehouse, potentially causing the price of everything to go up, or they would have to cut the size of their offerings so that you had less choice.

ding ding ding ding!!!

and the winner is...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #105
Stazon Splitcoast

No one wins on this one, IMHO, because SU, like every other stamp company I know, is a privately run company and isn't accountable to anyone but themselves!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #106
Glitter Guru

Jenni that was very well said! There are a lot of factors to consider in the cost of goods -- great post!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #107

Quote:

I've asked this question earlier in this thread- I'm curious as to why you ladies do not sell your wood blocks. I have purchased SU wood blocks many times in the past. I don't need any at the moment, but I'm sure I will again in the future. If you ladies sell your wood blocks you can make some money back. There are people who will buy your wood blocks.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #108
Embossing Fanatic

Regarding SU having trees grown specifically for the blocks, do you know if they own their own tree farm? I have never noticed anything mentioned in their catalogs about sustainable forestry. This would make me feel much better about the wood blocks! I buy um rubber stamps mostly. If I can save a few trees but not ordering blocks I would do it. Now I just have to work on not buying so much paper! I do like SU's stuff but shipping is a factor in my ordering.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #109
Crimping Master

I don't understand why so many people are upset that SU doesn't offer acyrlic/UM stamps. There are people that love clear stamps, there are those that love wood. There is obviously a market for both. Why get mad at SU because they don't offer what you want? That's like getting mad at companies that sell acrylic/UM stamps because they don't sell wood.

Buy what makes you happy. If SU switches to acrylic/UM, then great (personally I'd be happy if they did). If not, well, that's ok too - there are plenty of other stamp companies to choose from.

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #110
Mad Swapper

[/QUOTE]There must be some way all the other companies do it for half price. Dozens of online stores sell their red rubber stamps with both options. -- wood mounted or unmounted. Most of them sell the unmounted for exactly half of the mounted price. If they can do it then SU can do it too.[/QUOTE]

The on-line stores are not direct sales companies with demonstrators. This is not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited by SarahY; 02-01-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: added begining quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #111
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Su is probably the largest direct sales stamp company...the cost of a stamp set covers ALOT...buildings, employees, benefits, artists, management, etc.. - just because you don't offer blocks doesn't mean the cost of a set is going to be cut in half...not offering blocks isn't going to lessen the fact they need to pay their artists and the employees that answer the phone...

The cost factor is probably the biggest reason SU has decided that at this time offering wood mounted stamps is in their best business interest - because it serves a niche in the stamping world - those that love wood mounted stamps...

Hi Jen, I think what Betti is trying to say. Is back when we joined TAC. Our stamps came with wood mounted or unmounted and there was a bigger price range. Unmounted $10.95 Wood mounted $20.95

Which is a big difference.

Then TAC changed to unmounted stamps only.

I also enjoy using both unmounted Stamps and wood mounted stamps.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #112
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph315View Post
I don't understand why so many people are upset that SU doesn't offer acyrlic/UM stamps. There are people that love clear stamps, there are those that love wood. There is obviously a market for both. Why get mad at SU because they don't offer what you want? That's like getting mad at companies that sell acrylic/UM stamps because they don't sell wood.

Buy what makes you happy. If SU switches to acrylic/UM, then great (personally I'd be happy if they did). If not, well, that's ok too - there are plenty of other stamp companies to choose from.

Unmounted Stamps are not just Clear Stamps. It's unmounted Rubber stamps.
There are lot of compaines out there that offer both kinds of these stamps.
Some offer Unmounted Rubber stamps w/ Cling foam and other's just the Rubber die No foam mounting.

Clear stamps as you know don't need any foam mounting.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #113
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_stamperView Post
Sorry, I guess I should have added that too, my post was in no way meant to be anything bad about TAC at all..

I will admit, I myself was meeved (like my new word?) over SU's price increases, but alas, I still buy it.

I know that, I just wanted to let other's know that the shipping was the only thing that went up in price.

And yes I like you're New word.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #114
Proud Fan Club Member

Wink

Hey if Stampin' Up! goes with wood mounted & unmounted Rubber stamps.

This is going to be there choice. Whatever they decide isn't going to stop me from buying from them.

Like I have said before I own and use both wood mounted Rubber stamps.
And Unmounted Rubber Stamps. As well as the Clear unmounted Acrylic Stamps.

In fact when I started stamping a long time ago. I started out with Wood mounted stamps. And then someone introduced to me the Unmounted Rubber stamps.

Which I found that I enjoyed using both types of stamps.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #115
Die Cut Diva

The stamp manufacturers who are in competition with SU are really thankful that SU only sells wood mounted. Their sales are so much better because SU doesn't sell just rubber unmounted or acrylic stamps. They would hate to see SU offer those options as it would really hurt their business.

I remember a year or two ago reading some comments by demos that rub ons were really tacky and they were really glad SU didn't sell them. Now that SU is offering them, I see favorable comments being posted. My thought here is be careful what you say today about unmounted or acrylics. You may be eating those words in a year or two.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #116
Cardstock Collector

Maybe the owner prefers wood! I like unmounted better myself. My LSS where I teach likes wood much better and has a huge assortment. She told me she doesn't care for the acrylic.

I sell CTMH and was a wood girl until they switched, now I prefer it. Any brand, not just ctmh.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #117
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherbear49908View Post
I would hate to see SU use the clear polymer stamps as you cannot use solvent-based inks with them...and I love using Stazon.
Yes, you can, actually. You cannot use the solvent CLEANER on them, but I just wipe mine off with a baby wipe as soon as I'm done stamping with solvent ink, and voila, no staining. The inks are FINE to use on the stamps. It's the special cleaner that can degrade the material quality over time.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #118
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
No one wins on this one, IMHO, because SU, like every other stamp company I know, is a privately run company and isn't accountable to anyone but themselves!

maybe i should have phrased it differently!

'a winning answer'

it was factual and to the point
Old 02-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #119
Polyshrink Goddess

I want UM stamps for 2 reasons - my storage space is gone and being able to see where I am stamping whether acrylic or rubber. I have both and do not have any trouble with image quality from the acrylics.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #120
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
maybe i should have phrased it differently!

'a winning answer'

it was factual and to the point
Good point!

We all have so much passion for this stuff, don't we!!??