Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Will SU ever offer a choice . . .

of purchasing with wood or without wood? Maybe some of you demos know whether this has ever been discussed by the company. I really like SU stamps but because I have gone to the unmounted system, I really hate to pay for the wood. Sometimes I can get unmounted sets on eBay and ask that they not send the wood and then the rubber and index can be sent in an envelope for cheap. I think SU is missing out on a lot of sales. Even Dee Gruenig has switched over to entirely unmounted rubber (dropped her clear line). She believes it is the future of stamping.

By the way, I have a TON of SU mounts that have never been used if anyone wants to buy some

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My crystal ball isn't working very well these days, so whether or not SU will ever offer UM rubber sets without the wood blocks, I really couldn't say. I also am not aware of any discussions about it at HQ -- but then I'm not privy to those sorts of things, being the hobby/discount demo that I am. That said, SU *has* in the recent past come out and said that they do NOT intend to go the clear/polymer stamp route -- which makes sense, since they do produce their own rubber stamps.

I agree that it would be great to not have to pay for the wood, since I don't mount my SU sets, either! A lot of people seem to be moving in that direction, and all I can say is that IF at some point it became to SU's advantage to offer the sets sans blocks, they probably would -- being the savvy business folks that they are. Beyond that, I'm afraid I have no idea what the company might do in the future! That's part of the fun, IMHO -- always something different coming down the pike. :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Location: The Beautiful Eastside (of Lake WA), Washington State

I've seen a lot of people ask about this, but I dont know if SU will do that. Sounds like its going to be in their best interest soon enough, so they probably will at some point. If the majority of people are interested in it, then most likely they will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Mounted or not

I actually wrote them several times because i just hate paying all that money for wood that I don't use ...they respond that they did not see that option in the future of Stampin' Up!
Needless to say i was disappointed as I love thje images; artwork and coordinating line

Betti
TAC #1613
http:stampinbetti.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

how do use an unmounted rubber stamp? doesn't it have an adhesive back? do you stick it again and again to an acrylic block? dumb question here - I buy CTMH mostly .....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #6  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm guessing it's not in their future.

Reasoning: Most of the people who go unmounted are either very artistic and get into buying artistic stamps that are available that way, or have a lot of stamps and need space.

SU!, on the other hand, seems to be going more for grabbing the new stamper. There are more and more kits in every catalog, it seems.

But, I could be wrong.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim AndersenView Post
how do use an unmounted rubber stamp? doesn't it have an adhesive back? do you stick it again and again to an acrylic block? dumb question here - I buy CTMH mostly .....
There are several options for making SU stamps less sticky. I use baby powder. Then I can still stick them to the acrylic and take them off without ripping the cushion apart.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read somewhere that SU is or has in the past explored the option, but they aren't happy with the overall quality of acrylic stamps and therefore are not choosing to expand into that market at this time. And I have to agree. I've never really found an acrylic I like from a performance standpoint. I think I'll stick with wood either way, but it would be a nice option at some point for customers who prefer that style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SairabeeView Post
I read somewhere that SU is or has in the past explored the option, but they aren't happy with the overall quality of acrylic stamps and therefore are not choosing to expand into that market at this time. And I have to agree. I've never really found an acrylic I like from a performance standpoint. I think I'll stick with wood either way, but it would be a nice option at some point for customers who prefer that style.
But acrylic STAMPS is a completely different topic.

If they could offer the same product only with or without wood, a lot of people would be thrilled.

But as I said, they seem to be happy (at least for now) with their corner of selling to new stampers and people who like to buy kits.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Plus, not everyone is into unmounted stamps. I for one have no desire to go that route. I like mounting my stamps when I first get them. Then, I'm done. I like the wood too. But, I do agree it would be nice for those that do like unmounted to have a choice, but think IF it's going to happen it won't be in the near future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

All we can do is to continue letting SU know that we would like unmounted, woodless stamps as an *option*. Let the woodies have their wood, let the rubber only people have their rubber. Please let SU know that you'd like an option....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I would be surprised if they offered an unmounted option. It would essentially mean doubling the size of their pick line. And from a warehouse perspective that would be a multi-million dollar proposition. Rather than having one pick spot for each set they would need two...one for the mounted option and another for the unmounted option. And correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the current distribution center only 3-4 years old?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

If you look back you will find a few threads discussing this topic - oh about a month ago...

One thing to think about - if they EVER offered an unmounted option don't think that the price for unmounted would drastically be reduced...

If you take each stamp on thier own in an SU set they are usually cheaper than a compariable image from a retail company...I found some stamps that were very similar in style and design to Define Your Life...the cost was $3.25 for the unmounted option...vs just under $2 for each stamp in the Define your Life set (Mounted or unmounted you get to choose)

In reality SU prices are usually cheaper per stamp mounted than what could buy unmounted retail...

The beauty is that you don't have to mount them on wood if you don't want to...prices wouldn't drop drastically if SU ever decided to offer an unmounted option because I would bet the wood blocks are a small, small portion of the overall cost of the stamp set in general...(paying the artists, having the stamp production in house vs outsourcing - the increase in the price of rubber, etc...) at most maybe a few $$ a set, maybe...

Even if you look at CTMH acrylic stamps...for the same theme or image stamp set - it is only a few $$ less than a compariable SU set ( in some instances compariable sets are almost the same price...

just saying...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I cannot imagine that SU would want to be left behind. The trend is toward either unmounted red rubber or clear stamps. Many large chains are reducing wood stamps and replacing with lines from the hot new unmounted companies. I think that SU has enough business wisdom to see that they are losing a large portion of customers.

That being said, I must agree with Wrose,that SU is becoming a company that caters to beginners. There probably are not that many stampers now, who are beginners who start with unmounted red rubber. I predict that due to the ease of clear stamps some may start there and figure out that unmounted red rubber is also a great option. If SU continues to cater to the beginners, that is fine. But if they do that they are going to lose a lot of long time stampers who have learned to move with the trends for improvement and ease. Remember the old punches and how hard they were to use? You don't see them anymore in the companies that know how to survive. You only see the more dependable and easy lever punches now. I see this issue as the very same as the punch trends. Either change or disappear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by color56View Post
I cannot imagine that SU would want to be left behind. The trend is toward either unmounted red rubber or clear stamps. Either change or disappear!

I agree...they are probably considering it or have considered it. I would love it as least as an option. Viva la difference, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxmaView Post
I agree...they are probably considering it or have considered it. I would love it as least as an option. Viva la difference, right?
They have considered it. As posters above have said, they decided that their red rubber is still the best quality for a clear stamped image, so they don't want to go acrylic unless acrylic stamps can reach the quality of rubber.

Also, the wood blocks are only a small percentage of the total cost, so offering the stamps without the wood blocks would save the customer only a little bit of money while costing the company a great deal of money and taking much more time for orders to be sorted in the warehouse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

i say... don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!

they come un mounted for those who don't want them on wood.

the ones who do want them on wood can put them on wood.

you can't really beat the price and the quality is great!

i am sure they have thought things thru and are still making money.

i am not new nor am i an artist... i just prefer wood mounted.

i still buy un mounted stamps. then i have an added cost of buying wood mounts so i can mount them.

kinda 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

you can't make everyone happy all the time.

that is why there are so many different companies selling so many different kinds of stamps and options and these companies are thriving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by amylynnlindbergView Post
They have considered it. As posters above have said, they decided that their red rubber is still the best quality for a clear stamped image, so they don't want to go acrylic unless acrylic stamps can reach the quality of rubber.

Also, the wood blocks are only a small percentage of the total cost, so offering the stamps without the wood blocks would save the customer only a little bit of money while costing the company a great deal of money and taking much more time for orders to be sorted in the warehouse.

I agree - I prefer rubber stamps over acrylic for image quality -- but if I understood the question, it was not acrylic versus rubber - it was would SU offer mounted or unmounted rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the responses - I like hearing your opinions in answer to my question

The comments about what SU might think about offering a choice are interesting. Some of you have mentioned that you use supplies (not from SU 'cause they don't offer them) to use your SU stamps without the wood so you are probably buying acrylic blocks, the cushion or cling depending how you prefer to use the stamps, the storage systems for wood-less stamps. That's money that SU isn't getting since they don't offer the products.

I'm not a business person so you demos probably hear the business reasons and they make sense to you. I just look at it from a customer's view.

Someone suggested I contact SU - I will do that ;)

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I think there potentially is a reduction in warehouse space needed if they offered unmounted. They wouldn't need to stock as many wood blocks, which are the space hogs! There are a lot of plusses for them business-wise: the p.r. of their effort to be more "green" (less wood, less packaging materials), lower overall shipping costs for them and the customer (if they chose to pass some of the savings on), increased sales (I'd sure buy more S.U. stamps if they were unmounted and a bit cheaper!), no effect on the production process since the stamps themselves don't change - therefore the quality of their stamps wouldn't change. Those who wanted wood mounts could still have them, but those who don't aren't required to buy something they neither want nor need. Totally makes sense to me, but I guess they have to decide what their target market is. They have a fabulous product, I just hope they don't limit their target market too much by refusing to adapt to consumer demands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by amylynnlindbergView Post
As posters above have said, they decided that their red rubber is still the best quality for a clear stamped image, so they don't want to go acrylic unless acrylic stamps can reach the quality of rubber

I never mentioned acrylic stamps. At all. We're talking about unmounted rubber stamps (at least thats what the OP mentioned.) I would like SU to offer unmounted rubber with no wood as an option. SU has great rubbah. I just don't like having to pay more, ostensibly for the wood. That's all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
it was not acrylic versus rubber - it was would SU offer mounted or unmounted rubber stamps.
Yep, that's exactly what we are talking about. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
I agree - I prefer rubber stamps over acrylic for image quality -- but if I understood the question, it was not acrylic versus rubber - it was would SU offer mounted or unmounted rubber stamps.

I think people are confusing the two. Just b/c you want to go unmounted doesn't automatically mean you want to use acrylic clear stamps.

SU could offer their stamps (in red rubber, just like they do now) with the option of not paying for and shipping the wood blocks.

I think that once they realize, from a business standpoint, how much money they are losing to other businesses that offer unmounted rubber, they will offer it as an option.

All you can do is let SU know you would like the option of having unmounted (NOT acrylic, which SU always jumps to that conclusion when you write them about it, when no such thing was mentioned) and go from there. Let them know you'd buy a lot more, b/c your money would go farther...like it does with other companies that you buy unmounted from. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #24  

I will admit that I've sort of been paying attention to my stamping habits, as I have a lot of stamps and they do take up space. (Space isn't an issue, though, at least.)

And I noticed that I like to start things and put them aside and work on other things.

When people talk about unmounted, they tell me I'll only need to purchase a few blocks - but I think for me, it would be more than a few. When I assembly line things, like Christmas cards, I don't want to have to deal with sharing blocks either.

I think I'd feel very differently, however, if space were critical!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I was a wood mount gal all the way...

Until I bought a set of Acrylic Blocks for my Fancy Pants sets I had to have.
Not crazy about the clear stamps... but....
That led to buying unmounted red rubber at neat places like Purple Onion, Stamp Francisco, Beeswax and others....

Now, I have over 200 unmounted stamps and I would so much prefer continuing this way.... they take up so little space and are so easy to use with the EZ Mount system.

I'm not brave enough to unmount my SU sets yet... but if they were to offer the option of unmounted I would be all over it.

I find myself buying fewer SU stamp sets now because of my new found love of unmounted stamps.... and I'm an SU demo!!

No one is more surprised by this than I am! I hope SU does someday soon offer the option...
Reply With Quote Likes