Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Default Why is this?

OK.....I might irritate a few with this question - but it really bugs me - and just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

Why is it that almost all the swaps the hostess doesn't participate? I see so many swaps posted and sometimes 4 or 5 by one hostess at the same time - and never is she participating? It is always a +1 swap. Now, I know that a huge swap might be a lot of work for the hostess - but a 10 + 1 where she isn't participating? How much work really goes into a 10 + 1 swap?

Guess I just don't understand. But, this is a main reason I don't participate in swaps on here - and probably others too.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Someone did a poll on this a few days ago check out what some of the other girls said +1 Poll

Personally I've hosted 2 swaps I am in the process now I do particiate and still ask for +1 cause I either need two of the project or I could donate it or give it as a gift etc.... I know others ask for +1 and do notparticiapte casue they want the ideas? No big deal doesn't bother me either way (+1 or not)
Old 08-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #3  
SCS Moderator

Sometimes a hostess just doesn't. I don't think I have ever swapped in a swap I have been in, and in most cases the hostess of swaps I have been in has not swapped either. When I look at swaps I really don't care if the hostess swaps or not.

I guess the best solution is for people to do what they are comfortable with. If you want the hostess to swap with you, then be sure to ask. If you are like me and it doesn't matter then look for other things that you want in a swap.

What ticks me off much more are people who sign up and don't follow through, but that is a thread for another day.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I'm glad you asked because it is something I don't understand either. I've been trying to figure it out for years and just can't. What is the motivation for having a swap if not to "play" with the other stampers? I've hosted dozen of swaps over the years and it was always because I wanted to play, and I wanted to pick the theme. If I felt I needed any compensation for hosting it was given to me by the fact I got to make all the rules. I've hosted some very large swaps and I never felt they were so much work that I couldn't play along or that I needed to get something for my efforts. And that's another thing I don't understand; I believe people are being honest when they say they consider it a lot of work to host but that just makes me wonder why they would want to do it? Why not leave it to the people who see it more as fun than work? It isn't like you have to host a swap.

Like I said I've been pondering this for years and I've decided it's like the chicken and the egg - I'll never know for sure. I don't join +1 swaps and from the numbers on that poll I'd say I'm not missed.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Default Why 10 +1?

I have another question - why are the majority of swaps 10 +1? Why not 11 +1? Since the majority of things you cut end up being in 2s, wouldn't it make more sense to make a dozen cards? There's probably no magical reason why the number was chosen, but I always make a dozen and then keep my extra for later, which is fine.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMom
I have another question - why are the majority of swaps 10 +1? Why not 11 +1? Since the majority of things you cut end up being in 2s, wouldn't it make more sense to make a dozen cards? There's probably no magical reason why the number was chosen, but I always make a dozen and then keep my extra for later, which is fine.
Scrapbook page wise 11 would be silly since it wouldn't have a "partner" for a spread.... but card wise that is such a good idea! I will have to start saving the extra for myself as well! Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Personally, +1 or not, makes no difference to me. I'm easy either way, but must confess, that years ago, after hosting a few swaps, I can understand why a Hostess might opt not to play . . .

Oh, one other thing: sometimes the Hostess IS playing in a +1 SWAP, but is electing to donate the +1 stack to a worthy cause, like Keiki Cards, or to a Senior Home for the residents to have some lovely cards to choose from, or the local hospital.

In the case of demo'rs, sometimes it's because they take the +1 and send them to someone long-distance who will scan and upload them for all to see in a special gallery, and then on to SU!'s monthly contest, in hopes that some of the swap participants might win!

Last edited by JulieHRR; 08-18-2005 at 09:19 PM..
Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

I have hosted several swaps (not here) and participated in swaps both here and elsewhere, and I had never seen the "+1" thing before coming here. I, too, am not sure why a hostess wouldn't participate in the swap (I host swaps to force my lazy butt to get some work done, LOL!) but it wouldn't bother me enough to refuse to participate in the swap if I liked the theme.

The only swaps I organize/host anymore are ATC swaps... mostly invitational... and I always participate. With a "trading" card, you're supposed to trade a card for it, not buy it/sell it/get it any other way.

Just my fiftieth part of a dollar!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, I've seen +1 swaps for years, at all sorts of web sites. It's just never been a big deal to me. If the swap were 4+1 I might decide that's just not big enough for my effort, but it's not because the hostess chose not to participate, it's because 4 cards back is too few, lol!

It's certainly not a new concept by any means. As long as I'm not the one hosting, I'm happy, lol, and everybody else should be, too. I guess if it bothers some folks, they just need to pass, ya know?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Swap

I know that I usually do not "participate" when I host...but the reason I don't is because I often end up filling in for flakers. By not participating up front it leaves me open to jump in if needed. If I end up with more than one set of cards then I will give the extra set to a secret sister (if I'm currently in a ss swap) or donate them to a good cause (like the Ronald McDonald House or some of the military options).

Jane
Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

Default +1

I think all the ladies that host swaps are wonderful. I really like the swaps and it has never entered my mind about the +1. I just presumed it went to the hostess and I think that is small price for me to pay for her doing all the work. That leaves me more time to make my cards. I would never have the patience to receive all those cards, sort them out and get them back to the right people. That sounds like work to me so thanks to all the hostesses for their hard work. I know that alot of you donate them which is a wonderful thing also. I usually make a couple of extra for myself on most swaps I join.

If it is irrating to others than the best thing is not to play that swap.

Have a great day to all.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I enjoy the swaps +1 or not. I see it as a thank you to the hostess. Does it really make a difference if she plays or not? We probably wouldn't know anyway since there are so many participants in most of them. I don't mind at all giving the hostess one of my swaps. I think it's kind of nice to thank her that way.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also sometimes hostess a swap for a set that I would like samples of, but don't have the stamp set. I guess I don't care if it's a +1 or not-I am of the opinion that the hostess does enough work that she has "earned" the +1.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 08-20-2005, 03:30 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I am curently hosting a ribbon swap. It is my first time hosting a swap. I put myself in the swap as a participant, and also as the plus one. It is a lot of work cutting and sorting the ribbon. It took 3 nights sitting in front of the tv to cut it all. Just because the roll says aprox. 25 yards...does not mean you are getting that much. Some were short 6 - 10 inches from the 25 yard mark.

It is a lot of work, sending emails updating the posts, ensuring the proper postage for mailing, and the sorting of the swaps when they are in.

It is also very frustrating waiting to hear back from one or two swappers that don't reply back, or some that send it in late.

So I think plus one is well earned!

My 2 cents worth.. probably not worth quite that much

Marie