Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default why make Halloween cards?

Is this a really stupid question? I did the challenge this week (it was so much fun!) to make a Halloween card and it was my first one ever. In Canada, we don't really give out Halloween cards. I've never got one....never know anyone else to get one. I know in the U.S. you are particularly fond of Halloween....so, do you send out Halloween cards to friends, similar to Xmas, just not as as many? I know....this is probably a totally stupid question.

Oh, I must brag. I gotta a couple of dirty girls commenting on my card. And Beate! My hero! Yay. Head swelling to enormous proportions. And then some other lovely people (just not as famous commenting too...thanks! it made by day).I'm still getting to all my comments on those who commented. Boy, that takes time. How do people who get 40 get that done??

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I make halloween cards because we do an annual halloween party and so I need invitations. Otherwise, I make halloween cards just because they are so cute and fun! I might not send them to the same people I would send christmas cards to - but they are fun to send to other stampers.

I think it's also fun to make halloween treat packaging for the holiday. I usually make up some sort of treat bag each year to hand to my coworkers.

I enjoy stamping at halloween more than at christmas because there is less pressure. In fact, I rarely even stamp for christmas. Halloween is a much more enjoyable holiday for these kinds of things because there aren't a bajillion other things to get done so I can enjoy the creative part a little bit more.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Denise,

I don't always send out Halloween cards. Just depends if I have a cute stamp set that I want to use! (And sometimes I just don't get around to it!) I only send about 6 out each year, and just to close friends that we're going to trick-or-treat with. So for ME? No, it's not like Christmas cards, and I don't think it is with anyone in the U.S.......just a fun day to send out a few cards to a few people.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

BTW....my Denise post was for the first (OP!) Denise, however....HI to the responding party Denise as well! :::::waving!:::::
Old 08-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have never understood the halloween card thing. The only decorating we do is to carve a jack-o-lantern (and we haven't done that the last four years). We do hand out candy because I love to see the little kids in their costumes. I guess I'd rather put all my time, effort, and $ into my Christmas decorating and cards.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

I send out a few Halloween cards, but they a for friends and family that have kids. Like my niece and nephew. I love making them but I don't do it up like my Christmas cards. I do decorate the house and we put a few things in the yard but we have little ones and they enjoy it so that is why we do it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

i will send a halloween themed card to people who have an october birthday.

i have a friend who's birthday is in october and she has requested i make her some halloween cards. those are done. i ended up making about 25. that way she can buy the ones she wants and i will have some for myself.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingdeniseView Post
. Otherwise, I make halloween cards just because they are so cute and fun! I might not send them to the same people I would send christmas cards to - but they are fun to send to other stampers.
What Denise said - and because Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I send to my niece and nephew and to some other little people in my life that I don't get to see often. It's a fun way to let them know I'm thinking of them on day that's not a true "holiday" in the traditional sense of the word.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

My dd's birthday is on Halloween! Besides invitations, I make little treat bags with small cards for trick or treaters. We only get a few kids stopping by, so I don't have to make very many. I make a couple for the ladies my DH works with, always have to say "thanks for putting up with him", KWIM? I love Halloween, all that chocolate sitting around unguarded . . . definately a card-worthy occasion.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I love Halloween, & I think Halloween stamps are sooooo cute. I belong to the RAK group, so instead of sending "regular" cards in October, I'll send Halloween cards. It's just a fun thing to do!!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Because if you're really into Halloween or having a party to celebrate, it's a fun thing to do. Some people here get really, really into Halloween. I would say that some people are more into Halloween than Christmas. Me, I decorate and all but don't send cards to people on a card list or anything. But, my cousin's birthday is on Halloween so I have several stamps sets just to keep him in cards.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I love halloween....I send cards to family and friends(not as many as Christmas)...we do lots of decorating at my house.....6' Frankenstein on front porch,,spider webs and giant spiders on the house,tombstones and rotted monsters coming out of the ground,orange and purple lights,fog machines,etc. The trick-or-treaters love it.Most of the neighborhood has some kind of decorations up..one subdivision goes Way Out!Kids carpool to go to that neighborhood. And usually we have or attend a Halloween party.I'd like to stamp all the treat bags for the trick-or-treaters,but we have too many.....over a hundred.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I love halloween!!! I love seeing the adorable kids trick or treating!!! I love seeing the decorations... There are people who really get into the decorating around here. Sometimes more than Christmas. I send out cards to my grandsons and nephews. People at work send out a ton... It's just one of those happy holidays that makes me smile.....
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I do Halloween cards because my DS was born on halloween. I don't think I would be so into getting the stamps but now I have to blame him for every cute halloween set I buy...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:55 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

well, this makes a lot of sense....I never really thought about Oct. birthdays and RAKS in Oct. with Halloween stamps. And they are cute. I have a total of 5 teeny tiny ones. 3 of them are from the dollar stamps at Michaels....my sister made me take them from her and I am so glad I did. It was super fun making that card. Guess it was such a novelty for me....stamping bats and all! I feel the urge to make more now!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I make a halloween card for each of my 3 grandkids...they dress up for halloween, look forward to it and love getting the "touchy" cards from grandma...lol...whether it is embossed, pop dotted, etc...
Here is a very simple one I made awhile back I believe for our oldest grandson and he loved it
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...00&ppuser=6489
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Denise (from yet another Denise! ) your card is super cute! I can see why the dirty girls are commenting! I love the Halloween projects & cards, but I have never sent a Halloween card... but think everyone's ideas about RAKs, Birthdays are a great idea so i just may start! It's funny- i have bought the SU Halloween papers 2 yrs in a row because it's cute BUT NEVER USED THEM!
LOL!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

(that nasty little hoarding problem rears its ugly little head again... hmmm)
Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I love Halloween -- it is a special day of make believe and enchantment. Little is expected of one -- just some treats for kids. The children have so much fun planning their costumes. Last year my then 12 yr old daughter decided she wanted to be a tetris block and she and her girlfriend spent a month getting ready painting boxes from Home Depot and gluing/taping them together to interlock. How creative and challenging is that?
I send Halloween cards to nieces and nephews.

Glenda
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Halloween cards: never thought of such a thing until I had kids.

So, I make them for my kids, a friend or 2 with kids, my niece. Maybe a teacher or 2.

I love some of the new stamps available, but I can't justify the purchase for so few cards. I really need to "think outside the box" with the 2 stamp sets I have, and the designer paper from last year! (wish me luck!)

Kathy
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I might send out a halloween card to my family but I just enjoy decorating and making cards.

View my BLOG
Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
I love Halloween -- it is a special day of make believe and enchantment. Little is expected of one -- just some treats for kids. The children have so much fun planning their costumes. Last year my then 12 yr old daughter decided she wanted to be a tetris block and she and her girlfriend spent a month getting ready painting boxes from Home Depot and gluing/taping them together to interlock. How creative and challenging is that?
I send Halloween cards to nieces and nephews.

Glenda
How cool is that? Preplanning and all!

That's the best part, seeing the clever things kids & grownups come up with. My sister was Haley's Comet a few years ago- lots of tulle, cellophane and a tap light rigged on her head!! LOL!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

I buy "cute" Halloween stamps rather than spooky looking ones and do make cards with them, I just don't ever send them out! I try not to buy too many Halloween stamps because of this. I decorate for fall but not for Halloween, specifically. My kids go trick or treating but my oldest quit when he was 9. He never enjoyed the costume thing. My youngest likes it but I won't buy scary costumes (seems like they only like to be G.I.'s and policemen anyway). I tried to get a LSS to let me teach a Halloween card class but the owner said they don't get enough sign ups for these cards so I'm teaching a fall card class instead.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love to make Halloween cards! As someone else mentioned, it's FUN because there's not the hustle and bustle of holiday time. My friend, Michelle (ShaddyBaby), and I get together every year for a Saturday of Halloween card making. We only make 8-10 cards each. We send them to the people in our lives who REALLY appreciate the cards we make! Several children, and even older family members and friends who may not receive much mail. We enjoy the girl-time as much as the cards!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh...one more Idea for those of you who may not have many Halloween stamps or sets...last year I cut out gingerbread men on our Ellsion press (I'm a teacher) and taped him up with masking tape, then sponged on some brown ink. Added squiggly eyes, and PRESTO! a mummy! I think this idea cam efrom someone on SCS, but I can't remember. I used a $ Tree "Happy Halloween stamp, and I was done! Got lots of great feedback from it!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Denise, can you post a link to your card? I really want to see it. Judy
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Oh, I must brag. I gotta a couple of dirty girls commenting on my card. And Beate! My hero! Yay. Head swelling to enormous proportions. And then some other lovely people (just not as famous commenting too...thanks! it made by day).I'm still getting to all my comments on those who commented. Boy, that takes time. How do people who get 40 get that done??

Just when I thought I had heard it all on SCS....What are dirty girls? (hopefully it just means they are messy stampers who use Stazon and cant get it off)

Great gallery Denise!!

Oh, Im still learning proper SCS etiquette, is that what we are supposed to do, leave comments for people that leave comments on our cards?
I posted a thank you on my own gallery for the ladies.....I better get to it if thats the case!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Is this a really stupid question? I did the challenge this week (it was so much fun!) to make a Halloween card and it was my first one ever. In Canada, we don't really give out Halloween cards. I've never got one....never know anyone else to get one. I know in the U.S. you are particularly fond of Halloween....so, do you send out Halloween cards to friends, similar to Xmas, just not as as many? I know....this is probably a totally stupid question.
I used to recieve a halloween card from my grandparents- who lived very far away. I wouldn't say they are exchanged like christmas cards- more just to children (christmas cards usually go to everyone). When my nephews are old enough to know what mail is- then I'll send halloween cards. It's a good occasion to be remembered.

At this point, I don't send any.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post
Just when I thought I had heard it all on SCS....What are dirty girls? (hopefully it just means they are messy stampers who use Stazon and cant get it off)
A dirty girl is a member of the Dirty Dozen design team- it's a high honor on SCS. They put together a special themed gallery each month for fan club members to see.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/about/fan

These gals are AMAZING stampers.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess it is for the same reason that mountain climbers climb mountains -- because it is there!! There are so many adorable Halloween stamps it is hard to resist.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

For the kids!!
I send them to nieces, nephews and godchildren.

They just love getting mail, so all holidays are occasions...

Anne
Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #32  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMommyView Post
I love Halloween, & I think Halloween stamps are sooooo cute. I belong to the RAK group, so instead of sending "regular" cards in October, I'll send Halloween cards. It's just a fun thing to do!!
ditto to this!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I love to see all the Halloween stuff in the gallery. I like to make little things for the teachers at school, and it is all so adorable, although I really don't send out Halloween cards. It just puts a smile on my face for some reason.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Halloween is just plain FUN! I love to decorate, both home and at work, for fall/Halloween - when Halloween is over, that stuff comes down and the harvest stuff stays up until after Thanksgiving, then it's Christmas.....
I make Halloween cards to send to my grandkids. It's fun to do, and they enjoy getting mail.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't see much use for halloween cards unless you are having a party. I do like to make cute cards for my son's friends though.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't gotten into making Halloween, Thanksgiving, or fall cards in general yet...mostly because we really didn't celebrate Halloween as kids, and Thanksgiving was just a family eatin holiday.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

We have a big halloween party every year, so I always make my own cards for the party
Old 08-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Halloween was a really big deal when I was a kid - more fun than Christmas, when we had to travel by car for 14 hours to grandma's house and then felt like we were bothering her for a week.

I never bought Halloween cards, but once I started making cards I fell in love with the cute Halloween sets. Now I send out at least a dozen 'spooky' cards every year, mostly to families with small children (GRIN) 'cause it's a great excuse to play!

We get a lot of trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. Most years, I dress up and carve a pumpkin. My DH buys the candy, and makes sure he has plenty to spare (for himself, of course).

Thanks for starting this thread - it made me smile.
SCS Fan Club Member #68691
http://gaylestamps.stampinup.net
Old 08-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I live far away from my family. I find that Halloween cards are another good occasion to send pictures of my children. I make them dress in their costumes a couple of weeks before Halloween and take pictures. Then I have a cute card and picture to send to my family.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love love love Halloween -- it just really appeals to the little kid in me. And my DS was born on Oct. 30th, so I've had tons of costume parties at my house. I just think Halloween is so fun, and everyone loves to see kiddos in their costumes. This year -- if I get my act together, which is a HUGE 'if'! -- I hope to have costumes purchased/put together in time to take a photo of my boys dressed up a week or two ahead of time to enclose in a cute Halloween card. I won't send it to everyone on my Christmas card list -- just those friends and family who I think will get a kick out of it.

I know I would love to receive handmade Halloween cards, so if you're looking for someone to send 'em to, pm me for my address!!!