Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #41
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedalPower View Post
Juble....for me, the reason I don't care for my Nesties is pure and unadulterated laziness. I dislike running them through my Cuttlebug twice, finding that tan mat, shimming it, etc. If I owned the machine that "goes with" the Nesties perhaps my opinion would be different, but for me, they're just too much hassle.
You know, you don't HAVE to emboss the nesties, but you have the ability if you want to. I usually don't if I'm layering two ovals for example. This makes them pretty much just like any other die, but I do like being able to line up my image in the open area.

I have some cuttlebug dies that I use a lot, and a few PTI. I used the Bigz stocking die from SU to make adorable Christmas cards this year. I love them all and use them all. I am open to other brands as well, as I expand my collection.

Free cat hair with every card!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #42
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm a fan of my nesties but I'm very excited that SU is bringing out some dies with the next mini calalog! Yipee! I hope there are more coming.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

What makes the Memory Box dies beautiful, also makes them sometimes a challenge to cut....I would recommend either the small S113 or larger S114 metal plate that you would cut on. They fit in your normal sandwich for your machine and you cut right on them. It has made a big difference for me on these beautiful dies. It is not unusual to have to turn your whole die around and cut several times. The metal plates are in my webstore.
blessings.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gram2boyz View Post
I have tons of dies form every Co. I probably use the Cuttlebug dies the least.

Recently I discovered these Framelits from Sizzix, and I'm pretty excited about these. They come with the matching stamp set or without. I like the PTI dies, but I never seem to stamp the image on the diecut exactly where I want it. These Framelits will put an end to that! The dies are open, so you can perfectly cut out the stamped image. The stamp sets are really cute too. I ordered the Reindeer set.

Here is a link to a video:
CHA Summer 2011 Day 2 - Framelits in action! - YouTube
Carol
How cool!! These are why I just bought a Big Shot I love, love, love them!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #45
Inking Addict

I absolutely love Spellbinders! They can be used so many ways. I rarely make a card without using one of them. In fact, these days I find myself using fewer stamps. Just placed my first order for Cheery Lynn dies today.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #46
Gabfest Goddess

I have a lot of dies from quite a few companies. My favorites are from My Favorite Things, Spellbinders, Verve, and Whimsy Stamps. I have some Memory Box on my wishlist, but haven't ordered them yet.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #47
Glitter Queen

I got a Marianne butterfly die cut for Christmas. Very disappointed with it as you have to take a pin(which scratches the die) to get every piece of paper out of the die itself. No holes to help remove excess paper in the die. Also got some Cheery Lynn dies and love the doilies.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandstamps2 View Post
I got a Marianne butterfly die cut for Christmas. Very disappointed with it as you have to take a pin(which scratches the die) to get every piece of paper out of the die itself. No holes to help remove excess paper in the die. Also got some Cheery Lynn dies and love the doilies.
Rub the die with wax paper before you cut - this works wonderfully!

Also, I drop the die onto my work surface (doesn't hurt the die at all) and the excess pieces will fall right out. (I also do this with some of my PTI dies.)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #49
Stampin' Fool

Here's another vote for Cheery Lynn and Memory Box dies. All of them are very intricate and beautifully designed but easy to use (try rubbing the die with wax paper as another poster noted), and they always cut cleanly. I made 75 Christmas cards using Cheery Lynn's screen door, wreath, and bow, and those dies are still cutting just fine. ... And Julie convinced me to buy my Big Kick, too, and I've been having, oh, so much fun ever since. Happy New Year, everyone!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #50
Pearl-ExPert

My favorite dies are Memory Box and Spellbinders. I also like several from My Favorite Things, Cheery Lynn and PTI. I have a Marianne Butterfly and dislike digging all the holes out of it too. It's the only die I have that takes forever to remove the excess paper since it doesn't have holes to get them out. As beautiful as it is, there are similar designs from other companies that are easier to use.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #51
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
It took me a while to jump on the die-cutting bandwagon, but now I am completely in love with my machine. I'm slowly collecting dies, and I'm wondering who makes your favorites? Which dies do you reach for again and again?

I have a few Sizzix, and a small collection of Papertrey Ink dies. What is the verdict on dies from My Favorite Things? They have some really cute ones, and the prices seem really reasonable!

Do you like open dies or closed dies better?

Thanks in advance!
My vote is for the Spellbinders Dies. Versatility of how you have it open so you can stamp and then center on where you want the die to be. How you usually get at least 4 dies in a set--depending on the set of course. How they are compact and can be stored easily.

I just pulled out my old sizzix dies which I only have like 5 of the original red dies, 3 or 4 of the yellow and 9 of the green dies.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Hello everyone: do you HAVE to buy the metal plate to cut the intricate dies like Cherry Lynne? Can I just use my acrylic plates that came with the Big kick? BTW - I don't mind rolling my dies back and forth and back and forth to get the cut I need. I have to do this with the Daisy die from SU and the results are so worth it. Are the metal dies as thick as the acrylic ones, or would I have to "relearn" how to shimmy cardboard/cardstock/etc. in order to get a good cut.
Thanks so much for answering my questions!
Linda
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #53
Glitter Guru

So far I haven't had to use the metal plate with any dies. I did just buy some Geo Dies and I went ahead and ordered the plate from Amber at Chic and Savvy Crafters Home Page (Thanks again Amber) in case I would need it.

I also use the BigShot.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 01-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #54
Stampin' Fool

I use the Cheery Lynn dies in my Big Kick without the metal plate others have mentioned and get great results. Running the sandwich back and forth as the company shows in its online videos is a small price to pay for the exquisite results! ... Some of the new metal dies do not have pin holes to help prod the die cut out of the die. Cheery Lynn's dies have the tiny holes, and I am glad they do.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #55
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Denise and Alice for your quick response to my question! How wonderful that I won't have to purchase the metal die - more money for the actual dies although I swore that I would keep my spending to a minimum this year, as I did last year! Thanks again for your help!
Linda
Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

If anyone is having problems with the intricate dies...there are great utube videos with hits on how to get good cuts. I know that Memory Box has one. The link is on their site. Cheery Lynn also has a video right on the home page that will help.
blessings.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Am I the only one who doesn't run spellbinders through twice? I make sure I always do two layers and I get a nice "embossed edge" without needing to.

I didn't even know I was supposed to for the longest time so I tried it. Doesn't look any different to me than it does after I'm done cutting in the first place.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

My favorite dies are Spellbinders because I prefer open dies.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

It's amazing how quickutz seems to have fallen off the face of the earth! I had the squeeze, then the revolution, then the epic. I loved having the 6"x12" platform and tons of alphabet dies.

I just got my first set of nesties - they seem pretty nice.

Now I'm ready to get my hands on the new Spellbinders Grand Calibur since it's re-design. It comes out in Feb and I have a list of dies I want to go with it.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #60
Glitter Guru

Actually Quickkutz does have some pretty nice dies. I probably use them as much as any other. They have a couple of Heart dies in their latest release I am planning on ordering.

I did order the Halloween tree they had last year. I really like their 3D type dies.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #61
Compulsive Stamper

I don't use many dies but MFT came out with a nice chunky alpha that I love.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #62
Kookie Creator

I have Sizzix (all types), Spellbinders, Cuttlebug, Geo Dies, and Quickcuts. I'm usually going for the Nesties all the time because I can't decide on a certain size shape I need and just compare all of them.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Quickutz was purchased by Lifestyle Crafts...you can find their dies and embossing folders there.
blessings.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #64
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs View Post
Hands down- Spellbinders. The eaiest dies in the world to use. Lots of stamp companies make stamps that coordinate with their dies so you are not limited to one or two images that work AND, of course, you can see through them which makes it so easy to position your image or greeting.
Me too Gina. I couldn't live without my Spellbinders dies! Love the ability to emboss, it adds that extra little touch! Don't for get to stencil with these too. There are some gals who really do the sponging amazingly!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

I use my excess Quickutz Ejection Foam on my other brand dies to help eject the die cut from the die itself. I love my Lifestyle Crafts/Quickutz dies that create boxes and such. Can't wait to get my hands on the new amuse studio catalog to see what dies they'll have in there, too. I know there will be some fabulous ones!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #66
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just got my first machine this week. I have a few dies, Spellbinders, Sizzix, and that Hobby Lobby brand... Paper something. They all work well and I like them a lot.

I got a check in the mail on Sat. from the gift shop selling my cards and I placed an order right away! So the Mail Ma'am will be bringing me some Spellbinders. The next time I have $$$ to spend I must have some Heartfelt Creations dies! My mouth was watering looking at them

Now that I've looked at what y'all have said you liked, I also like the Cheery Lynn Designs.