Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who got into stamping for scrapbooks?

hi, I started stamping because I loved the idea of an alphabet that never ran out of any letters. then I realized that I could also use stamps in place of stickers, and I've been addicted ever since. but so many ppl only think of cards when they think of stamps that I wondered how many of us stamp because we scrapbook?

please share
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I've been scrapbooking for years and swore I never wanted to get into stamping because it meant that much more that I just "had to" have.

I begrudgingly attended a SU! party and I was hooked. Even though it was a card demo, I bought my stamps that night with my scrapbooks in mind. I'd say I use 50% of what I buy for my scrapbooks and the rest in card-making. Like you, I use them in place of stickers. I find them much more versatile (obviously!). I still can't justify the purchase in my own mind unless I am going to use it for both -- but that's just me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my stamps for scrapbooking as well. The first SU demo I went to we made a scrapbook page because none of us were card makers. The last one that I went to had a card make n take along with card demos. After that I vowed I would take the plunge into using my stamps for cards too - after all, I have everything and always need a last minute card. I have since made my first two cards.

I have bought all of my stamp with scrapbooking in mind but have tried to buy versatile sets. I think it has added variety to my scrapbook pages.

Great question - I am anxious to hear others responses.

Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stamping into scrapbooking

This is the first time I have replied to any of the posts so I hope I am following the rules!

I signed up to be a SU! demo at a scrapbook convention without knowing how to stamp - just to add to my scrapbook techniques! That was 3 years ago and I have been having the time of my life! I learned how to stamp along with my customers. The SU! web site actually taught me everything because my upline was in PA and I am in TN. She was just too far away to be of much help although she did what she could.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I started out as a scrapbooker. Then I decided to use my stash to make Christmas cards one year. I loved them so much I had to scrapbook my Christmas card process! (Just don't tell anyone they were Hero Arts stamps! I didn't know about SU then!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

i started out as a scrapbooker. I saw all the letter stamps being used in the scrapbooking magazines and hunted down a SU demo. Lori is great and between her and the awesome catalogue, I was hooked. Now unfortunately, mostly I just stamp cards. I find it fits into my schedule better...instant results...as we are expecting our fifth child. When i have more time...the scrapbooking will still be there waiting for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I met my SU Upline at a scrapbooking event. I just loved the idea of something 'new' for my scrapbooks and pretty much signed up the next day. I demo both scrapbook pages and cards and try to use stamps that are truely versitle for both. I had never made cards before, but hey, I own all the stuff so I do that now too, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Funny- I started as a card maker and now I almost never make cards except when I'm preping for my montly stampin club (which I need to go do soon...) Now I do mostly scrapbooking, but I believe any stamp can be used in a scrapbook.

What I love about stamping in scrapbooks is that I don't need to buy loads of expensive predecorated paper. I can quickly and easily make an entire coordinated layout including decorative background and embellishments with my stamps. I just have to stock the 48 colors of paper and ribbons and things and I can have really beautiful professional looking pages without having the tons of decorative papers and no place to put them.

I find that whenever I use decorative paper I usually run out halfway through a project or I buy on impulse (what looks good or what is cheap) without having a layout in mind and they lay languishing in the corner because they don't suit the color combos my photos are asking for or they aren't the right theme. I have a little boy and yet I'm drawn to those pretty floral papers over and over. This way, I just pull out the leaf stamps and choose the paper that matches and I'm off.

Plus, I just love the feel of stamping. It's fun for me. I can't imagine not stamping in my scrapbooks. For me, they go together.

Happy Scrapping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I started out as a scrapbooker, but I am just finishing up an album that uses all stamps except for the journaling. I had a great time with it.

nancys's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was new to scrapping and never had seen a rubber stamp inked up as of two years ago!!! LOL
Well look at me now!!! I am a stamping scrapping fool~~~ and can't find a bad thing about it!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I love to use my stamps for scrapbooking. I started out for both stamping and scrapbooking and I still do both. I became a demo and most people I know like to use it for cards only. Recently though, some of the members in my hostess club want to start using the stamps for scrapbooks!! I think you will find it evenly split for both cards and scrapbooks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I've been scrapbooking more than twice as long as I've been stamping. First I bought some alphabet stamps and a Holiday Sampler type set from another company...then I WON $100 worth of stamps that indluded one that was great for making cards, and added cardmaking.
I fell in love with Stampin' Up in 2002 when the first Stampin' Memories catty came out. A cardmaking friend recommended it. I was WOWED to say the least!!
Now, I LOVE to share my love of stamps with my scrapbooking friends!! My favorite story about 'converting' my friends happened at one of the scrapbook conventions we all like to attend every year. We were at an LSS, and everybody else kept on getting up and browsing the store and buying stuff, while I stayed put and stamped. Then they started borrowing my alphabet stamps. Then, the next day, I caught them at a Stamps by Judith display at the convention!! When I signed up to be an SU demo, they were my first workshop, and I drove 4 hours to do it for them! Gotta love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

You can count me as one who started out as a scrapbooker! When I attended my first SU! party 4 years ago, I swore I would use stamps in my scrapbooks ONLY and NOT get into stamping cards! LOL! I now stamp cards 3/4 of the time and scrapbook 1/4 of the time, and I haven't used many stamps in my scrapbooks yet, but I am improving! Great question, I am curious to hear all the answers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I got involved with SU as a result of my interest in Scrapbooking. When I saw all of the awesome stamps and great cards that were made, I got addicted to card making too. I try to buy sets that are versatile so that they can be used repetitively and for both scrapbooking and card making.

I am wondering what stamp sets people have found to be the most versatile?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I would never have gotten involved with SU if I hadn't been a scrapbooker first. I do make cards now, but any stamp set that I purchase must be versatile enough to use in both scrapbooks and cards. I still do have a slight problem passing up store-bought patterned paper, though, especially when Michael's has it on sale. But at my house when I say I'm going to go stamp, that means scrapbook.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

After the first SU party I attended, I didn't know what I was going to do with the stamps I bought(Frosty was my very first set). I just knew I was so intrigued by it all. I never knew anything about stamping before & it was just so much fun!!! Since then I did start scrapbooking & do prefer that over cardmaking. I too try to only buy stamps that could be used in scrapbooking & cardmaking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I started out scrapping and now use stamps in my books.
I started doing cards with scrapbook stuff (this is a good way to make it look better when you buy more) Then I discovered stamps
and cards - I do both now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

When I was invited to my first SU! party I was just wanting to start making Scrapbooks. So I immediately saw the possibility of using the Stamps in the scrapping process. I do both cards and scrapbook, and 99% of my scrapbooks are stamped, I love the stamps way better than stickers! I just went to my first cropping party this past Friday and one of the girls I sat with said she really wanted to start using her stamps in her scrapbooks, but she wanted to use up all of her other supplies first. She kept staring at my stamping wishfully all night!

I love stamping so much I even have stamped on my walls, I guess if it doesn't move I may just put a stamp on it!
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Default scrappin queen

I still predominately use my stamps for scrappin and I have been doing my best to use them for making cards. I even joined a swap to kinda help me out. The scrapbooker in me loves the fact that SU has 48 colors of paper, ink, and other accessories. More will always be better for me. I never tried stamping until I met my demo through my son and she had me hooked esp. since I began my "collecting" of stamps during Sell-a-bration of last year.

http://www.queentomas.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I forgot in my previous post to add how disappointed I was that Stampin Up! didn't have the separet scrapbooking catalog this year as they did the previous year when I discovered their stuff. I know they combined the scrapbook stuff into the big catalog but I really liked seeing the scrapbooking supplies showcased seperately. Anyone think they may go back to seperate catalogs?

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

ME ME ME! I started with SU so that I could make better scrapbook pages- backgrounds, titles etc. I still scrapbook more than I make cards- but I do enjoy making cards. In fact it took me about 4 months to decide whether or not to be a demo b/c we sell primarily stuff for stamping cards, crafts etc, but I just realized I wanted so many of the sets and of course all the colors etc that I jumped in.

I find that a lot of my customers appreciate that I talk a lot about how to incorporate the stamping into scrapbooking, many are like me in the beginning thinking they would never make cards!

Great question!
Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

(stampdancer - Love your avatar, very cute)

I started in scrapbooking, oh, about 11-12 years ago or so. I used CM stuff because at the time, that was pretty much all you could find except the really low quality stuff. Then I was invited to a DOTS party and went only to help her make an attendance goal. I even brought my scrapbook to the party, just to be defiant, ya know?

Well, I found some really cute things but didn't buy much, the Victorian Super set, if I remember correctly. Oh, you should have seen the collective gasp of horror at the next "Crop" when I stamped in my scrapbook. (side note: I am NOT claiming that I started it, just no one I knew had done it before)

They all told me how that wasn't archive safe and wouldn't last for the 400 years. I replied that "if it only lasted 2 or 300 years, I still wouldn't give a rip either way." and merrily continued what I was doing.

That lasted for about 3-4 years off and on, still have only 2 scrapbooks, neither with more than about 30 or 40 pages or so (and none with my daughter)

THEN, I met SU. Hoowee! I was converted immediately, and have truthfully, (shamefully) not scrapbooked since. Especially since that was before the "cute shape" phase had worked it's way out and I had cropped the only set of wedding pictures we have into, well, it's not pretty.

Stampin' Hugs - Linda T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I'm definately a scrapbooker at heart, although you can't tell by looking at my craft area with all the card-making stuff lying about! I just can't stop making those cards! I think it's 'cause they're so much quicker to make...instant gratification! I've been scrapbooking since about 1997. I had a few stamps that I played around with, but I didn't really use them a whole lot. Then a year ago I was invited to a SU party. Oh boy! I might as well just hand over my checkbook! I try to buy stamps that can be used in both scrapbooks and on cards to get the most for my money. I so need to get back into working on my scrapbooks. I just became a TAC demo so I need to create a scrapbook using their stamps, so maybe that will be the kick in the pants that I need! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I went to several stamping workshops and really got into cards first. then I stopped stamping for awhile. A friend got me into scrapbooking and then I discovered I could use my stamps with it! Now, all I use is my stamps and SU cardstock! I even buy stamps for scrapbooking pages first, then decide to make a card with them! I signed up as a demo to do scrappin' workshops originally. But, I love using my stamps for everything now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I got into stamping solely for scrapbooking, but lo and behold it's almost a year later and haven't quite started the book I planned on making. But I'm told my cards are nice, and most of my friends look forward to seeing the new ones I come with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Well, my rationale for buying my first set of stamps from a SU party in January was that it was fun, easy, and my wedding photos really deserve a home (after being tucked away for 2 years).

So my intention was to buy supplies for scrapbooking. However, I am a bit of a perfectionist, and didn't want to do anything in my scrapbook until I had learned and practiced all the different techniques! So all I've done so far is make cards!!!

It's fun though (and rewarding!) so I think I'll continue with the cards until I feel organized enough to commit to the scrapbook project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I remember my first SU party. I went in hopes that they sold something other than stamps..you know, decorative paper or scissors. Boy, I didn't even see it coming! I spent a fortune at that party and was signed up as a demo a month later. I love stamping in my scrapbook and I haven't purchased a store made card since. See how much money I'm saving?? :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I was a stamper far before I was into scrapbooking. But when I went to my first scrapbook workshop 9 years ago, I asked the gal if I could use stamps. She looked at me like I was a freak! Of course she said, "NO!" Well, I did! My entire wedding album is stamped. Alot of people thought I was nuts and said I shouldn't have done that. Look at everyone now!

LOL

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
I forgot in my previous post to add how disappointed I was that Stampin Up! didn't have the separet scrapbooking catalog this year as they did the previous year when I discovered their stuff. I know they combined the scrapbook stuff into the big catalog but I really liked seeing the scrapbooking supplies showcased seperately. Anyone think they may go back to seperate catalogs?

K
I truly doubt it. It was a lot to carry around to workshops. The only thing I liked about the separate scrapping catalog was that they were cheap enough that I didn't mind giving them away for advertising. But I find it challenging enough just to keep up with one catalog, one mini and one monthly special. I also found that some scrapbookers wouldn't look at the big Idea Book & Catalog because the little one was for scrapbooking. There are always pros and cons, but I prefer just one big catalog for everything.

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I LOVE using my stamps in my scrapbooks! I have been scrapbooking a lot longer than stamping, but I love that I can combine them! I even recently got into using my stamps to make my own embellisments for my scrapbooks! What fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

me too, me too.. I got hooked on Stampin for my scrapbooks, then ended up spending so much money that I became a demo...

(Ofcourse, that might change this month, because I'm $100 short of my quarterly minimum and even though I offered my customers my 20% discount this month to help me make my minimums, no one else has any money left to spend either, and I just can't make the last $100 on my own... )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

Default Do you love the Stampin Up Albums?

I've always used the Creative Memory album and now that I have "graduated" to more use of cardstock trimming it down to fit the Creative Memory page is just a pain now.

Can anyone out there tell me how they like the Stamin up albums. Or if there is a better album that will hold momento embelishments etc in a better mannar?

Thanks!

Ardee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2005, 07:11 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Default scrapbooking

I got into stamping because i wanted to learn how to make scrapbooks. I didnt have much exposure to them, didnt realize they were done with premade paper and stickers mostly. But i wanted to make one for my family, and had seen stamps at a craft store before, so i assumed thats how they were done. But i was very intimidated-the thought of doing a whole book with big pages to decorate and write in, was very overwhelming to me. Not to mention i didnt have one friend who could show me how. Then i got invited to a SU party where we made cards.
I had always considered myself uncreative, but I found something I could DO!! And, they were quick, and i could see the project thru start to finish. very important. So i have been a faithful stampin up consumer for 4-5 years now, happily making cards for anyone and everyone, even selling them now, at saturday markets and to individuals. Its great.
But at last, i have begun my journey into scrapbooking- doing brag book pages, and a few 12 by 12s with a friend. I realized that i can do this too- especially with the help of SCS! Now, i just need to learn how to take better pictures........
~Misti~
BTW: creative diva- im sorry about your status, I wish that i could send an order thru you, but just spent my 60 dollars on friday! Maybe someone here could help you out.
Reply With Quote Likes