Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #41
Crimping Master

Aastha...yes, LSS stands for Local Stamp (or Scrapbooking) Store. You are lucky if you have one near you. Sadly, the economy being as it is, many local stores have closed. Online sales, and big box stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore make it hard for them to survive. BUT...many of us really need to stretch our crafting budgets as far as possible, and often lower cost beats out a local business.

I was introduced to stamping through a Stampin' Up workshop, became a demo for a short while; so most of my stamps are from them. I don't sell anymore but know a demo that I buy from a few times a year. I also do a lot of online shopping to get a larger variety of styles or designs to choose from. All of the online companies listed in previous replies are worth checking out, but unless you are extremely disciplined prepare to spend HOURS scrolling through these stores. There are so many places to shop online it can be overwhelming!

I highly recommend figuring out a style you like ahead of time. Cutesy critters, detailed and realistic looking flowers or landscapes, bold graphic modern designs, vintage....just to name a few!

To make my meager budget stretch as far as possible, once I find a specific stamp set I want I will go to Overstock.com to search for it. They have a surprisingly large selection of craft items. If it's not there, I will do a general Google search with the name of the set to see where it pops up. Places like Simon Says Stamp and 123 Stitch sell many different companies and may have a sale going on!
sprtchick, poppydarling and Aastha like this post.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #42
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
Aastha...yes, LSS stands for Local Stamp (or Scrapbooking) Store. You are lucky if you have one near you. Sadly, the economy being as it is, many local stores have closed. Online sales, and big box stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and AC Moore make it hard for them to survive. BUT...many of us really need to stretch our crafting budgets as far as possible, and often lower cost beats out a local business.

I was introduced to stamping through a Stampin' Up workshop, became a demo for a short while; so most of my stamps are from them. I don't sell anymore but know a demo that I buy from a few times a year. I also do a lot of online shopping to get a larger variety of styles or designs to choose from. All of the online companies listed in previous replies are worth checking out, but unless you are extremely disciplined prepare to spend HOURS scrolling through these stores. There are so many places to shop online it can be overwhelming!

I highly recommend figuring out a style you like ahead of time. Cutesy critters, detailed and realistic looking flowers or landscapes, bold graphic modern designs, vintage....just to name a few!

To make my meager budget stretch as far as possible, once I find a specific stamp set I want I will go to Overstock.com to search for it. They have a surprisingly large selection of craft items. If it's not there, I will do a general Google search with the name of the set to see where it pops up. Places like Simon Says Stamp and 123 Stitch sell many different companies and may have a sale going on!
Thanks Mary for the advice!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sprtchick likes this post.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

I think we all tend to expand our horizons as we build our collections, but I don't think it's bad advice for a person just starting out trying to learn basic skills and on a limited budget to find a style of card or image she likes and focus on gathering the stamps and other things (embellishments, ribbons, papers, BG stamps, etc.) that she needs to produce those types of cards.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Today I sent off 12 brand new stampsets (clear) a new versafine Onyx pad and some sequins. If the stamps are your style I will put together another package soon.
😊
Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you have a die cut machine?
Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #46
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Today I sent off 12 brand new stampsets (clear) a new versafine Onyx pad and some sequins. If the stamps are your style I will put together another package soon.
😊
Thankyou Amber!!!
I feel like I am being spoiled!! From all of you Thankyou

(No, I don't have die cut machine.)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #47
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thumbs up

Most of the stamps I purchase and use are from Stampin Up!
The Stamp pace: The Stampin' Place: Rubber Art-stamps, Custom Stamps & Stamping Supplies: Big Lake, Minnesota USA

A few here and there Ebay. Facebook stamp groups.
sprtchick and Aastha like this post.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

Sadly, I have not had much luck on eBay. People there often seem to be overpricing their stamps, I find it's hard to get a good deal. I have found some great stamps on Etsy, when someone is destashing.

I agree with whoever suggested the Buy/Sell forum for someone looking to build up a collection.

Otherwise, I am all over the place for new stamps. Too many to name.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-20-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Aastha likes this post.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #49
Stazon Splitcoast

Delivered?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #50
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Delivered?
Hi Amber! I sent you a pm yesterday! Thankyou once again for the fabulous stuff you sent me!!
Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #51
Stampin' Fool

I love Simon Says Stamp. They have a HUGE variety of different brands. I also love Unity Stamps.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #52
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I love Simon Says Stamp. They have a HUGE variety of different brands. I also love Unity Stamps.
I liked Simon says Stamp variety but found it to be too expensive with the additional shipping cost. I didn't know about Unity Stamps. Will check them out. Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #53
Hardware Hotshot

Don't forget Goodwill and Savers in your area. I'm continually A.M.A.Z.E.D at what I find at cheap, cheap, cheap prices-----stamps, embellishments, etc. Also, ask demos from all companies when they are having garage sales of retired items. I can't the last time I paid full price for anything, and have built my stash and stamps with garage sale prices. Last, I have quite a few stamp friends and we do "temporary swaps" and share stamps for a month, then return. This way you won't have to buy everything.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #54
Hardware Hotshot

Google Craigslist in your area. In the 'search' column, type in stamps, rubber stamps, etc. You'll then find the garage sales in your area where people are selling stamps and embellishments.
sprtchick, melissa59 and Aastha like this post.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
Don't forget Goodwill and Savers in your area. I'm continually A.M.A.Z.E.D at what I find at cheap, cheap, cheap prices.
I wish I lived near your thrift stores! I have never, not once, not ever, found a good deal on craft stuff at any of the thrift stores in my area. I have to drive a ways to visit Savers, but over the last couple years have found some decent clothes at affordable prices. So when my son and I donated a bunch of stuff last week, we piled it in his truck and drove to Savers.

Goodwill no longer gets my donations. The prices on their clothing--at least at the one in my low-income community--are almost as high as new in Walmart. I think they are taking advantage of people who can't afford to buy new.
Christmas Cards 4/44
Stamp2Spend-$5.84(03/17/16)
sprtchick and poppydarling like this post.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 AM   #56
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Goodwill no longer gets my donations. The prices on their clothing--at least at the one in my low-income community--are almost as high as new in Walmart. I think they are taking advantage of people who can't afford to buy new.
I wondered about this myself, but didn't clock what was going on, so I googled and found a blogger and frugal shopper who used to work there as a teen and corroborates what you said! I know they don't pay their workers a ton and it can vary from store to store with some workers making barely minimum wage, so I'd love to know where all the money is going.

Goodwill...is it too expensive? | Holy Craft: Goodwill...is it too expensive?

PS once again I'm derailing the original post – sorry OP
Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #57
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Google Craigslist in your area. In the 'search' column, type in stamps, rubber stamps, etc. You'll then find the garage sales in your area where people are selling stamps and embellishments.
Thanks for the tip. I did that and thought why didn't I think of that!!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #58
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
Thanks for the tip. I did that and thought why didn't I think of that!!
Perfect! Depending on your area, garage sales are a bit quieter now through the holidays (at least in the Midwest, with weather +holidays) but spring, etc. keep checking that. You'll find a ba-zillion garage sales, and the finds and the prices will make you clap loudly!!!! Good luck!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #59
Hardware Hotshot

Don't forget RIBBON options for your cards at Goodwill, Savers, garage sales. Haven't paid full price for ribbon EVER and I use ribbon on almost all cards.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Don't forget RIBBON options for your cards at Goodwill, Savers, garage sales. Haven't paid full price for ribbon EVER and I use ribbon on almost all cards.
Thankyou. Wasn't aware about such organizations. Will definitely check them out. Even if I don't find anything for stamping, I think I can definitely find something to donate!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

The president of Goodwill takes over 600,00.00 per year? Thats where a lot of money goes. Salvation army is a much better option for donations.
��
melissa59 likes this post.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone else notice that Joann's online is selling fewer companies for stamps? Anyone know why? Then seem to have shifted in a large way to fabrics rather than stamps. I used to love the 50% sales and stocked up that way. They don't have any Paper Smooches and refuse to put any Lawn Fawn on sale. Other companies are MIA, too. Just a'wonderin' over here if you've noticed this trend?

https://welcometomyperiwinklecorner.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #63
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

I didn't know that Goodwill pays such a huge salary to it's top person. Wow!
In any event, our local CCA (Christian Community Action) has a couple of different sales locations for the donated wares ... and there are times when crafty goodies do appear there. Sometimes it's obvious that they really don't know the original value of stamps ... so a lucky day and a savvy shopper combination could make a super score.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #64
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonaRoseView Post
Does anyone else notice that Joann's online is selling fewer companies for stamps? Anyone know why? Then seem to have shifted in a large way to fabrics rather than stamps. I used to love the 50% sales and stocked up that way. They don't have any Paper Smooches and refuse to put any Lawn Fawn on sale. Other companies are MIA, too. Just a'wonderin' over here if you've noticed this trend?
It may be that Lawn Fawn refuses to let them put the stamps on sale. Typically that type of exclusion comes from the manufacturer, not the retailer.
KonaRose likes this post.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #65
Polyshrink Goddess

yes or Local Scrapbooking Store, becoming rarer I'm afraid My advice is to look at each stamp for versatility, ie birthday, anniversary, sympathy. Waaay to easy to fall for stamps that are too small or one occasion (except Christmas)