Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #41
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamborghini GalView Post
This is a great question and I'm glad you asked, because I tend to go "overboard" sometimes, with buying stamp sets!

I haven't been stamping long. I just started about 4 years ago. But, one of the first companies I found (probably from watching videos on youtube) was Stampin' Up! When I would see a video with a card I liked, I'd watch it. And low & behold, it would be a SU! demonstrator, making a lovely card.

Once I found Stampin' Up! and began ordering from them, I was in LOVE! Yes, there are a lot of wonderful companies out there and I have some of their stamp sets, but for me, Stampin' Up! just has the best products. I really love their bundles!

Anyway, to answer your question: I do not have a large card room. It's probably on the small size, but it's my room and I know where everything is. I probably have about 40 SU! bundles/stamp sets. My problem is this: I'll watch a YouTube video and see another lovely card and once again, it's SU! So what do I do? Yep. I go order it and then I get ALL EXCITED about checking my mailbox. LOL

I think I have enough supplies/stamp sets/bundles to last a long time. Especially considering I can make different cards with just one stamp set. But it sure is tempting to buy those bundles, when you see them on youtube and just love them.

Beth
I am also 99% StampinUp I was hooked initially by SU and have never found anything I like as much or more. I have 15 years of card making though, so I have a ‘few’ more sets than you. But I counted last night, just for fun, and I have around 110 sets right now. I have gifted or sold several sets along the line that I knew I no longer loved. So I can say I use nearly everything I have.

I do think that one has less extra or too much, if you will, if you don’t follow every blog or company. I don’t bother looking at any blogs or sales, I know I order twice a year from StampinUp and it’s what I either need by way of cardstock, or a new set. I don’t spend more than 200$ a year (and that’s Canadian). If I have anyhing I don’t need, it’s retired cardstock or designer paper that I am tired of. I took a box full to kindergarten in the fall!

So actually, I don’t think you have a problem
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pdt31602, NinaBeth, gobarb26 and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #42
Matboard Maniac

Cardmaker2, wow! 110 sets! It is really easy to get "hooked" on a company, speaking for myself.

There is also something therapeutic about making cards. It's just relaxing and fun. I'm glad you don't think I have a problem with my "collection." I need to be like you, and just order twice a year from SU! But those youtube videos get me ALMOST, not quite, every time! Haha!

Beth
cardmaker2, NinaBeth and scorpiobaby like this post.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Cardmaker2, wow! 110 sets! It is really easy to get "hooked" on a company, speaking for myself.

There is also something therapeutic about making cards. It's just relaxing and fun. I'm glad you don't think I have a problem with my "collection." I need to be like you, and just order twice a year from SU! But those youtube videos get me ALMOST, not quite, every time! Haha!

Beth
An old expression has been carved into my psyche, which may be why I don’t follow any crafting blogs or companies. It keeps my consumerism contained

‘What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t long for’. That doesn’t apply across the board in life, of course. Right now my eye hasn’t seen my daughter for 6 months but my heart definitely longs for her... 18 days and I fly out to visit!
cjzim, Paula in GA, NinaBeth and 4 others like this post.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #44
Matboard Maniac

I know you can't wait to see your daughter. I bet those 18 days will seem like a lot longer, since you're waiting! But maybe not. I hope you and your daughter have a great visit and you can stay a while.

I need to memorize that old expression for FOOD. I'm only 5'1" but I weigh 175 lbs.. I think I need to just repeat that over and over! LOL

Beth
cardmaker2 and NinaBeth like this post.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #45
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I am also 99% StampinUp I was hooked initially by SU and have never found anything I like as much or more. I have 15 years of card making though, so I have a ‘few’ more sets than you. But I counted last night, just for fun, and I have around 110 sets right now. I have gifted or sold several sets along the line that I knew I no longer loved. So I can say I use nearly everything I have.

I do think that one has less extra or too much, if you will, if you don’t follow every blog or company. I don’t bother looking at any blogs or sales, I know I order twice a year from StampinUp and it’s what I either need by way of cardstock, or a new set. I don’t spend more than 200$ a year (and that’s Canadian). If I have anyhing I don’t need, it’s retired cardstock or designer paper that I am tired of. I took a box full to kindergarten in the fall!

So actually, I don’t think you have a problem
I adore SU myself and that is where my passion for papercrafting began. And although I too have other brands in my collection, my style evolved into mix and matching brands especially current and retired stamp sets. I noticed as the years went on there were "connections" of themes between retired and current stamp sets; that was when I became "collector" as well as a crafter. Today I simply buy to add in themes I do not have yet appeal to me for crafting. I do use what I have in crafting for myself and for others.
cardmaker2, NinaBeth and Luvingstamping like this post.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #46
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
An old expression has been carved into my psyche, which may be why I don’t follow any crafting blogs or companies. It keeps my consumerism contained

‘What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t long for’. That doesn’t apply across the board in life, of course. Right now my eye hasn’t seen my daughter for 6 months but my heart definitely longs for her... 18 days and I fly out to visit!
Great quote to live by! And there is truth behind it as well. I have unfollowed many blogs and companies on social media for the mere reason if I don't know, I won't buy.

Thanks for sharing.

And I wish you and your daughter a wonderful reunion and visit. Enjoy your time together.
cardmaker2 and NinaBeth like this post.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #47
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

cardmaker2, I have three daughters and I can't imagine going so long without seeing them! My oldest will leave for college in August (the other two are in 8th and 10th grades) and while it is just two hours away, my heart hurts just thinking about her living somewhere else.

I love that you are so excited to see your daughter! I wish you joy in every minute with her!
cardmaker2, NinaBeth and Lamborghini Gal like this post.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #48
Hardware Hotshot

I remember crying as we walked back to the car after dropping our DD off at college for the first time.
It is hard when they leave the nest, but I love when they come to visit!
cardmaker2 likes this post.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #49
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
I am interested when you mentioned the 5 questions you would use to ask yourself about a particular item.

Would you mind sharing them in this thread please?

I didn’t get thread notifications for a while, so missed your question, sorry. Since the material is copyrighted I can’t list those exact questions (10 or 12), but some I found on line that I’ll link you to are very close.

When I’m stuck, assuming it’s not that my brain is full and I need a break, dollars to donuts one of the questions will set me free.

BTW, when decluttering/purging, I set a timer for just five minutes. Nutty, right? It helps eliminate procrastination, and though I usually continue for much longer, five minutes = success.

Keep or Toss? 12 Questions to Help You Declutter - Embracing Simple

How To Declutter Your Home: 9 Questions To Ask Yourself When Tidying

I retyped the questions, removing lots of descriptive text so it would fit on one side of a piece of cardstock, and laminated it. Weird, but somehow it felt more official. I’d get the containers (donate, toss, recycle, move) and laminated card and it would be an official start!

Last edited by bjeans; 01-31-2019 at 11:23 AM..
scorpiobaby, katzarm and Kendel like this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have a dream. I am going to pull a Julie and Julia (movie) and start at one end and work my way through every single stamp, die, EF, stencil, etc.

I have this dream, too. I do a much better job coming up with ideas and actually making projects by starting with a stamp or piece of pretty paper I want to work with, rather than an assignment to fulfill (X needs a birthday card.) This dream would help me enjoy (or weed) all my stamps, stencils, dies, etc as well as build an i ventory of cards I could choose from when I need one.
I love to shop my own stash, and this would give me a great plan for doing it.
NinaBeth, scorpiobaby and Lamborghini Gal like this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #51
Rubber Obsessor

WOW..looks like we all have the same condition...hard to let go, having too much, challenging our need or love to have and USE. I have been purging for a couple of years, getting better organized. It all fits in one room, but I do now have a box in another room where stuff goes until I give it away, sell it or donate. I have changed my style over the years and some stuff is slightly used, but will not be utilized again. It gets easier to let go once you get the pressure off. I keep myself organized by stamping or copying each stamp and putting them into tabbed categories in 5x7 notebooks. I have all dies, stamps, color swatches of pens, stamp pads, paints, embossing powders, stencils in 5 small notebooks. When I start a project, I pull out the corresponding notebook and take a look....pull the items I need and then go to work. This has changed my output and makes it more enjoyable. All systems are only as good as you use them. Everyone works differently. I too am curbing my spending for the next few months. If I see something I would really like, I write it down and revisit it later. I Still have a large number of wood mounted stamps, and storage is not an issue as my DH built me a large wall cabinet to store them...but, I do find I am using the red rubber and clear stamps more....so more purging for the wood ones will happen this year. Too much for me is not being able to find things; organization is key and I go through sections to organize them often..particularly when I have to dust it all and lots get purged at that time. Sometimes, less is more.

Eloise
cardmaker2, scorpiobaby, katzarm and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

ejluyk, you are so right! Sometimes less is more.

I forgot to mention how I store my bundles from Stampin' Up! I purchased some fairly thick weight magnetic sheets. When I get my stamps & dies, I cut the magnetic sheet down, to fit inside the left of the stamp set and I simply press it onto that (the magnetic sheets are adhesive on the back) and then I put my dies on that. I wanted the magnets to be a good strength, so my dies don't fall off. This works beautifully and I love it. So, my stamp and die bundles, from SU! are in one place.

I enjoy seeing all the ideas people have mentioned on this thread.
cardmaker2, bettyjoanes and scorpiobaby like this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #53
Glitter Guru

Quote:

ejluyk, you are so right! Sometimes less is more.

I forgot to mention how I store my bundles from Stampin' Up! I purchased some fairly thick weight magnetic sheets. When I get my stamps & dies, I cut the magnetic sheet down, to fit inside the left of the stamp set and I simply press it onto that (the magnetic sheets are adhesive on the back) and then I put my dies on that. I wanted the magnets to be a good strength, so my dies don't fall off. This works beautifully and I love it. So, my stamp and die bundles, from SU! are in one place.

I enjoy seeing all the ideas people have mentioned on this thread.
I love that idea! Everything right together. Currently I have the plastic case with the dies rubber banded to the stamp set... although I only have a couple of actual bundles. I do have dies but the rest of them stand up on a space on a shelf and never quite make me feel organized. Something to work on
Lamborghini Gal likes this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #54
Matboard Maniac

cardmaker2, I must, once again, give praises to...…….YouTube! LOL It was there, that I saw someone using the magnetic sheets with their SU! bundles. I loved the idea. I just made sure to buy the thicker, stronger sheets.
cardmaker2 likes this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #55
Mad Swapper

LOL The thought that came to me was, "Is your hubby giving you trouble about all of your stamps???" Some husbands let it be KNOWN that they don't like their wives spending $$$ on their craft, even when they have their own $$$ & even when the craft supplies are out in another building. I've seen it! On the other hand, I have a husband who doesn't mind squeezing up the hallway because of my craft things--- I have NO WHERE ELSE to put them! He makes room for my things even & tries to make it easy for me to craft & enjoys enabling me. So if that is your problem, CONVINCE HIM, HE WILL BENEFIT from your craft! I don't think you can have "TOO MANY" NICE STAMPS! <3
cardmaker2 and Kristy Tyra like this post.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #56
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I'm still in the process of cleaning up/organizing/purging in my craft room. But it has also been fun. I also unmounted almost all of my wood-mounted stamps. I love mounted stamps, but they just take up too much room. The fun thing is that I have a friend who loves anything I would like to re-home. And it's fun when you find a friend who passes things on to me as well. Different tastes. I do have my room to where I can work in it again. Which has been a blast!
cardmaker2 and bettyjoanes like this post.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #57
Die Cut Diva

Mine just is at the tipping edge of too much I’ve stopped purchasing stamps. I’m going to purge a few sets.

I haven’t gotten rid of much over the years but the ones I did I don't miss.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 01-31-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

I have lovely storage units that my DH built to my specifications. The stamps are in 30 shallow drawers that hold large and extra large clam shell boxes two deep in five stacks There are 30 drawers and I have "ungrouped" sets and store them by theme. I have lots of stamps in almost any category that I might want, so if I fall in love with a stamp or stamp set, it must fill a need AND, most importantly, fit in my storage drawers. If not, something must go, or I don't get it. Therefore, I purge often throughout the year. That being said, I'm buying way fewer stamps lately, as I have what I need and what I love.