Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your Sticker Shock $ amount for one order?

In a store when I see I am over $30 I start putting things back on the shelves
For On-line orders or SU I am fine with around $50.
Between $60 & $100 I start waffling and re-thinking things in my cart or on my order blank .
If I hit $100 in my cart or order blank I start ruthlessly yanking things to get it well under $100.

On-line stores that offer free shipping on $65 or over lose me before I ever get to their shopping cart.

What is your sticker shock $ amount for one order ?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Um....$225...ish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

When I shop I go in knowing what I want and how much it is. I don't just start putting stuff in my cart, I find when I do that I end up with stuff that I don't need or really want. I will browse online stores and I will add things to my Amazon Wishlist and then as I have the extra money I will purchase it.

The only online store that I will always spend enough to do free shipping is PTI. When I place an order, I expect to spend at least $65 since that is where I get most of my stamps and paper from. I don't really even pay attention to the free shipping amount anymore, most are more that $50, if free shipping at all, so I pretty much always factor in that I will pay shipping. I won't not shop somewhere based on what their free shipping amount is. Now I will not shop somewhere if I feel their shipping is too high and I can get the product elsewhere with less shipping.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sticker shock for 1 item would be around 150.00 but if I am shopping and have 300.00 to spend, I spend it. I always do free-shipping online regardless if it 50 or 100 dollars. If shopping at my LSS a normal amount I spend is 100.00 each time, since it is a distance away from home and don't get into town but once a month. I am though on a strict paper-crafting budget of 25.00 a week and a couple nice bonuses throughout the year- I never spend more then I budget- and never charge anything - cash only spending. I mostly online shop because I like quality and good prices that only seems to happen online anymore. LSS have too much overhead causing them to jack-up prices to at least or slightly more then retail amount and I have a problem paying retail but I will every once n a while if I really want that particular item.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

If my order gets to $300 then I really start to rethink what's in the cart.

But on the other hand, I haved saved up and placed a $600 SU order too.

I guess it just really depends on what I'm planning to spend and what I've budgeted and saved for, KWIM?

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it depends on where I am shopping. I try to keep my Gina K and Papertry orders to around $100. I spend hundreds at a time on SU. When I go to Michaels or Joanns if there is new stuff (today I spent over $100 at Joanns) I try to stay in the $100 neighborhood. I make a lot of cards to donate everywhere so what I buy eventually gets used.. I could probably buy a car with the money I spend every year on stamping stuff...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I don't get sticker shock over paper crafting supplies anymore. If I am visiting an LSS and I spend less than 100 bucks, it is some kind of miracle. I LOVE to support my LSS's. I will even support those as we travel!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

My limit is $50. I really rethink my purchases at that point. With DH being laid of I am really thinking and rethinking all my purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I usually order the minimum for either free shipping (PTI) or hostess benefits (SU!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I am getting better at keeping my Ms and Js shopping trips at 50 and under. (I just need to stay away all together so I don't do $50 a shot 4x a week.... ) When it comes to ordering online I take shipping into consideration. IF you get free shipping at a certain $ amount I see no reason to pay for shipping on multiple orders when I can save my orders up to get the most bang for my buck. For things like SU!... I do 1 or 2 small orders a year if they come up with something I can't live with out in a mini. Otherwise, I try wo save my SU! spending for a show amount to get free product and host sets. To me it is the same as free shipping. Why buy 4 or 5 $50 orders a year, when I can save up the wish list and money and get a huge amount all together and I feel like over all I get the better deal.

*This is also coming from someone who is realizing and accepting her love for shopping has become more addiction than anything else* No, I am not kidding either.

ETA: I think my biggest problem is telling my self things are such a good deal I can't pass it up. I never pay full price for anything unless I can't get it anywhere else.( like SU!) I also have a DH who likes to see me happy and lets me get away with spending too much. The cricut Jukeboxes at my Michaels are marked dow nto $29.99 and I was so proud of myself for passing it up! I bragged on my good behavior to my DH and you know what he said to me? He asked why I let such a good deal go! I love him to peices, but good greif! I am trying to stop my craft spenting and he knows that!

Last edited by princessmeshelle; 08-11-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

When you order enough SU to qualify as a party do you get free shipping?
I never thought of saving up and ordering all at once . Hum-m-m-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Only if SU is running some sort of special which with free shipping, I remember one time when they did that. Other than that, some demos give up their discount (which is really their income) to offer free shipping to their customers just to get them to purchase from them instead of somebody else. Unless there's some sort of special either from SU or the demo, you could order several thousand dollars from SU and not get free shipping.

For me, the sticker shock is more a function of how much I'm getting and what the total is (price per set or stamp). I thought about a set from SU recently that filled a hole in my stamping stash, but when I looked at the price of the set (even the clear mounted option) with the shipping and then the tax, it was way more than I would have to pay just about anywhere else, so I didn't get it. The cost per stamp for a cling mounted set from SU was way into my sticker shock range.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I should clarify by adding:

I am in Montreal and there are only really two stamping/scrapbooking stores anywhere near me.

I buy almost all of my supplies online in the US and have them shipped to a friend in Vermont. I pick them up when I visit. I buy almost everything on sale and never pay shipping. I want all of my crafting budget to go towards product! Also, there are certain places where you get preferred customer discounts in addition to free shipping. And it seems that that discount increases the more you buy.

It doesn't make sense (at least to me) to place frequent small orders and pay shipping.
Yes, I have to wait for stuff, but I get more bang for my buck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Technically, no. But, You get $15 of free product and level 1 host set for $150 order. Since their shipping is 10%, see it as getting the shipping back plus a host set. And you don't pay to ship the free or host set so there is no added cost there. So I look at that as an over all better deal. I usually only fall in love with 1 or 2 host sets so, depending on how bad I want a host set and what I need... I think I have a show per year... Maybe 2... Besides...

For SU! if I spend $1 or $69 the shiping is a reasonable $6.95. After You hit $70 it becomes 10%.

If I buy 4 $50 SU orders plus $6.95 shipping (add your tax if necessarry) I pay $227.80. If I combine those 4 orders for a $200 order I pay $220 with shipping. Then I get $20 of free product and a host set. To me combining is the better deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post
I should clarify by adding:

I am in Montreal and there are only really two stamping/scrapbooking stores anywhere near me.

I buy almost all of my supplies online in the US and have them shipped to a friend in Vermont. I pick them up when I visit. I buy almost everything on sale and never pay shipping. I want all of my crafting budget to go towards product! Also, there are certain places where you get preferred customer discounts in addition to free shipping. And it seems that that discount increases the more you buy.

It doesn't make sense (at least to me) to place frequent small orders and pay shipping.
Yes, I have to wait for stuff, but I get more bang for my buck.
Jennifer, I like the way you think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #16  

I don't worry about sticker shock. This is an expensive hobby. I buy what I need or want as long as it is NOT coming out of our household funds--I work a part time job for my hobby, and for our 'fun' money.

That being said, I try to think about what I am buying--do I have something close to this? Will I really use this? and where am I going to store this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2die4View Post
I don't worry about sticker shock. This is an expensive hobby. I buy what I need or want as long as it is NOT coming out of our household funds--I work a part time job for my hobby, and for our 'fun' money.

That being said, I try to think about what I am buying--do I have something close to this? Will I really use this? and where am I going to store this?
The where am I going to store it, stops me from buying 50% of the time!

I also work a full time (60+ hours) job to support my hobby addictions. Plus I have a very supportive dh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

It can be an expensive hobby, but now that I have the basics (and more), I can stop in my LSS and pick up a nice sheet of patterned paper or a yard of ribbon, and spend just $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I recently went to clearbags.com and wanted order some A2 jacket covers for my cards and only wanted to get a pack of 100 for $5.00. The shipping was $18.95...Needless to say I did not order. It seems the more you order the cheaper the shipping is...at least that's my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

I am with Princessmeshelle who said:
ETA: I think my biggest problem is telling my self things are such a good deal I can't pass it up. I never pay full price for anything unless I can't get it anywhere else.( like SU!) I also have a DH who likes to see me happy and lets me get away with spending too much.

My DH always says that as long as all of the bills are paid then he doesn't care what I spend! LOL

That said - I have been known to spend WAY TOO MUCH!!!! :oops: I am on a self-imposed BAN of crafting purchases. I have been in my craft storage room and I have way too much EVERYTHING stickers, paper, ink, rubber stamps, adhesive, embellies, brads, tools, toys etc - MANY OF WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN OPENED OR USED! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh man, I wouldn't it be nice to have lots of products that have never been opened? Oh wait, I do!! And here I thought it would be like shopping in your own home, just go to the unopend isle. Not so, it's more like why did I buy all that SU craft ink pads and then not use them..........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

If I go to a stamp site, I usually know what I want and just buy that, but where I get sticker shock is in the shipping!! Sometimes I'll buy one tiny thing, and the shipping costs twice as much as the product!! I've often passed up great bargains, just because it costs such a ridiculous amount to ship it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

$50.00-$60.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

When my friends come over to play...they love "shopping" in my stamp room...there is always plenty to share.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel H.View Post
I don't get sticker shock over paper crafting supplies anymore. If I am visiting an LSS and I spend less than 100 bucks, it is some kind of miracle. I LOVE to support my LSS's. I will even support those as we travel!!!

I'm like you, Mel. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I have found that the more money I make, the more money I spend. I went back to work about 7 years ago when our daughter went to school full time. Since then, my spending on crafts has gone way up. It used to be that spending $25 was an obscene amount. But now if I can get out of a store for just $25 I have been very good! I reason that I work very hard for my money and my hobbies are not just sanity savers but also are helping me to stick to my new eating habits by keeping my hands busy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

I'm a researcher rather than an impulse buyer so I don't normally get a shock at the checkout. But I tend to start editing my purchases at about $30.

I can remember spending a little over $80 in LSS one day and nearly fainting - I'd gotten carried away buying a line of products and I think I got every piece in it.:shock:

Normally sticker shock is a function of comparative value. How much use will I get from something? Will something else do the same job for less? e.g. I don't really need an edge distresser, I have scissors. Will the Kaiser acrylic stamps give me the same look as the SU set at 3-4 times the cost? I didn't need the ATG, I can use a tape roll (just drives me nuts so I ordered the ATG :oops: I justify this by saying I got the pink one and I do use tape every time I craft. :rolleyes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Mine is around $50ish. I don't go over $60 too much cuz that's when the hubby notices it in the bank statements. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I'm on a very strict $50 a month budget and I usually wait and shop only every other month so that I have $100 to spend. Sometimes though I don't even spend that. I came to the realization a year or so ago that my enjoyment from the hobby was coming from shopping and browsing online and not stamping. I'd fill up a cart because I saw a pretty card on a blog or in a gallery and "had" to have it. Now my purchases are very deliberate. If I see a card I like, I go through the stamps and inks I have to see if I can recreate it that way. So often it's not even the stamp that is attractive, but the color of the paper and the ink. I think that a really great designer can make any stamp look good, and I keep that in mind when I look at design team samples. I have so many supplies that just don't get used that I just can't justify the sticker shock purchases anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

This week my old camera quit working, and I decided to get a new dSLR to take photos of my cards. It has been on my Wish List forever. After the sticker shock of photography equipment, paper crafting supplies are starting to look like a real bargain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine isn't so much sticker shock as box shock.

I'll do a $100 PTI order. I imagine a HUGE box is on it's way. It comes and it's in a tiny box not much bigger than a padded mailer! I mean it's all my stuff that I ordered and I love it, but I always think it will be bigger on my doorstoop!

I did a $250 SU order and really thought it would come in two HUGE boxes. It came in one medium box. Not much bigger than a shoe box.

So I get box shock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Mine isn't so much sticker shock as box shock.

I'll do a $100 PTI order. I imagine a HUGE box is on it's way. It comes and it's in a tiny box not much bigger than a padded mailer! I mean it's all my stuff that I ordered and I love it, but I always think it will be bigger on my doorstoop!

I did a $250 SU order and really thought it would come in two HUGE boxes. It came in one medium box. Not much bigger than a shoe box.

So I get box shock.
Ain't it the truth!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin...I am with you there...sometimes it just doesnt seem possible when I see my boxes that EVERYTHING can be in there...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
I'm on a very strict $50 a month budget and I usually wait and shop only every other month so that I have $100 to spend. Sometimes though I don't even spend that. I came to the realization a year or so ago that my enjoyment from the hobby was coming from shopping and browsing online and not stamping. I'd fill up a cart because I saw a pretty card on a blog or in a gallery and "had" to have it. Now my purchases are very deliberate. If I see a card I like, I go through the stamps and inks I have to see if I can recreate it that way. So often it's not even the stamp that is attractive, but the color of the paper and the ink. I think that a really great designer can make any stamp look good, and I keep that in mind when I look at design team samples. I have so many supplies that just don't get used that I just can't justify the sticker shock purchases anymore.
Right on, Hoosier Mama. I could have written that myself. And you know what? Sometimes even after getting all the stuff I don't even make the card!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Excellent timing of this question. My sticker shock is a little different. I paid $40 on product and $13 on shipping (I live in Canada). Went to JoAnns in Michigan yesterday and saw the same product I bought on line for $14 and no shipping. I was so stressed about it, it was the first topic with my counsellor yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
Excellent timing of this question. My sticker shock is a little different. I paid $40 on product and $13 on shipping (I live in Canada). Went to JoAnns in Michigan yesterday and saw the same product I bought on line for $14 and no shipping. I was so stressed about it, it was the first topic with my counsellor yesterday.
That would make me stressed too! I do almost all my shopping online. I truly love online shopping, but I do not want to know if I'm overpaying! I'm happy with what I'm getting for my money I don't want to know if there could be more forless money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

So so true about the box shock! I think there was one time I did a really big (for me anyway) PTI order and I was shocked at the little tiny box that came. And that paper is still in the plastic wrap, sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

It's always just a SU order. When it gets to $300, I freak out and drop to 200.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have written up what will probably be my last SU! order....well, for at least a year.

It's *cough* $985. I don't know whether I will actually place the order. I need to think about it carefully.

I would however, get $130 worth of free product and three hostess sets though.

What to do, what to do...heh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

For me it depends...I average the minimum for my SU orders for the hostess benefits, but it depends. I am trying to not preorder everything from the minis at once. Very hard to do but I realized it makes no sense to order it all at once instead of spacing it out. It is harder now with the clear mount option because I think the prices are very reasonable and within line of what I see from other companies out there. If it is Gina k Or other online stores that have a minimum for free shipping,as long as I am not struggling to meet it, I will order for free shipping.
Guess it also depends on my mood. I know if something is bothering me I buy nothing...I don't really have a set budget. My SU comes from from my events that I do for the most part so anything else comes from our regular account.
Reply With Quote Likes