Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default What shortcuts do you use to make the best use of your time?

Do you precut your paper? Do you watercolor at a different time than you stamp? I am looking for your best time management stamping tips. I start from scratch every time I stamp and I am sure there are some prep tips that I could employ to use that precious time more effectively.

Renee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
The Digi-Freak

If I cut a half-sheet base for a card, I put the second one in my files so next time I have one ready.

If I cut a quarter sheet, I go ahead and cut all 4 on the sheet and put the extras in a long bin that holds only quarter sheets... so if I need a card front fast,I have pretty much every color ready to go

Old 03-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

I try to never make just 1 of any card--once I have a design worked out, I'll crank out 4 or more of the same card. For me the design takes much longer than the execution.

Great topic--can't wait to hear more ideas!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
Cardstock Collector

The creative process sometimes takes the longest. Then again sometimes it just happens perfectly. If I know what I am making though, I will precut all the paper. Then assembly line the rest of the steps. I like to make at least 6 cards at a time or I find I don't give them away. Then I have extras for when I just need to grap a card.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Same as debcst, I try to make multiples of my cards. When I'm to that point, and ready to "mass produce", I do it assembly line style. For example -- cut all the white pieces you need, and stamp them, fold all the card bases, cut the layers (one size/color at a time). If a card requires coloring, I'll color all pieces one color at a time --- for example, I just made 12 cards using the wheelbarrow from "Love Ya Bunches": first I colors all 12 wheelbarrows, then I did all 12 birds, then all pink flowers, then all stems/leave, etc. Sometimes I color while watching TV!

Then when I have all the pieces ready, I line 'em up and assemble each card.

The design process never goes very quickly for me -- for the card I just made, it took me about half an hour to design -- but making all 12 only took about 45 minutes.

Also -- if I see a card in the gallery that I want to CASE, I often print it (just in black and white) so that I can refer back to it when I'm ready to make it!

I've found it also helps to keep my area clean and organized. I have a literature sorter type shelf -- and each shelf has a basket with supplies in it: one for adhesives, one for glitter/embossing powder, one for sponges, etc. I have all 48 classic pads and markers, so my husband made me a carosel (sp?) type thing for all my markers and ink pads -- a HUGE help!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Wait till everone is in bed for the night and it is to late for anyone to call on the phone....you would be what a time saver this is!!!! OR....set the alarm for 4:30AM...same results either way....NO INTERUPTIONS!!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Default Believe it or not....

Believe it or not....if it has already been stamped, I try not to throw it away! Can't tell you home many times some 2"x2" square that has a background print on it has helped. May not know the use for it, but I'll find one. I've taken to storing my "stamped on" scraps right in with the set. That way, when I reach for the set, I'll see the scraps. Heaven knows I won't remember them on my own! ~ K
Old 03-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for some great ideas, ladies! The idea process definitely takes me the longest as well. I like the idea of filing extra cards and card fronts, just need to come up with a system here.

Renee
Old 03-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

When I get a big paper order I take the majority of each color to Kinko's to cut for me. I cut some into 1/2 for cards bases and some into quarters for mats. This is a huge help for me.

I also make at least 4 - 8 - 12 - 16 at a time so I am ready with the right one for the right occasion.

Storing the prestamped images in with the stamps is a great idea.

kk
Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Keep all remnant scraps filed according to color in an iris cart. (hate to cut into a brand new piece when all I need is a little and hate digging through a box filled with miscellaneous scraps in asstd. colors)

Make half dozen of the same card, if I liked the end result of the prototype.

Keep most frequently used tools close at hand just above my work surface, on pegboard.

If I'm doing a project that is time-consuming just due to the very construction of it, I avoid any time-consuming stamping techniques and stick to the basics to keep it from taking overly long. Of course, now that I'm getting older and lazier, I tend to avoid time intensive techniques as more of a general rule, anyway . . .

If I'm going to make marbled shaving cream paper, then I make a dozen or more quarter sheets at a time so I don't have to drag it all out again just to make one card.

Fall back on a favorite tried and true color scheme or layout.

I keep stamped images I didn't happen to use inside a cello bag and stick them back inside the set's plastic case for future use.

Throw away my rejects. If it didn't turn out then, I'm probably not going to expend any more time and energy on it later, so why waste the storage space? I found a drawer filled with such items and they'd been in there over a year. Wasted valuable storage space.

Keep only the tools and materials I need specifically for that project out in sight; keep the rest put away, out of sight. Otherwise, I am too easily distracted and unable to focus on the project at hand.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Please appease the Canadian, what is an Iris cart?

Renee
Old 03-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Oops I just posted an new topic similar to this but this is more about time saving and my topic is more about whether you make one of a kind or "mass" make cards.

Anyway, what I do is I oftentimes go through my basket of stamped images that I've saved. Some have been colored and cut out too, especially when I was experimenting with a new technique or product. I will go from there. Other times I will just stamp and go from there.

I keep scraps of CS in gallon size zip loc bags to go through first before cutting through a full sheet of CS.

I also save tons of wallpaper scraps that I use as backgrounds for card fronts. They are stored in gallon size ziploc bags too.

Many times when I am stamping, I tell myself to hold the cutting of images til another time like when I'm watching TV or when I can't really stamp at the moment. Of course sometimes I feel like cutting while I have my rare free time so I do it anyway.

I would love to read more about this!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

I keep all my scraps in plastic shoe boxes (sterilite). I have one for each color family and one for neutrals/specialty papers. They stack nicely next to my stamping desk.

Oh, and no offense to SCS, but one other way to keep my productivity up is to shut the computer OFF!!!

I am TOO easily distracted by the wealth of information and ideas on this wonderful amazing site!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by my4blessings
Please appease the Canadian, what is an Iris cart?

Renee
They're those rolling plastic "chests of drawers" you can pick up in the storage section of Canadian Tire, Zellers, Stupidstore, etc. They usually have opaque plastic making up the frame, and semi-opaque (usually whitish) plastic making up the drawers. You can see the drawer tracks and everything on them because they have no finishing covering piece, so they're kind of ugly but very handy and cheap (~$30 for a five-drawer unit from Cdn Tire). The most annoying thing about them is they are usually > this < much too small to hold 12" paper. Zellers sells some that do, though.

'mel, loving the "springtime" in Sask.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
Kookie Creator

I tend to do a lot of One-Sheet wonders, and then hack them up at a later date to make a stack of cards from them. (I've got about 4 full sheets I did Polished Stone to just waiting for me to play with them.) I also frequently stamp out a full sheet (or more) of stamps that need watercoloring and then sit down later with my "coloring book" and fill them in. This is a great $ saver, too. If your demo lets you come for stamp camps and play with her stamps, bring an extra couple of sheets of white and ivory cardstock and stamp out some of those sets you like but don't love enough to own(yet). So then when you're ready to make a card, you just have to cut out the pre-colored images and assemble!

Kate
Old 03-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Kookie Creator

I have a lot of pre-cut US White and vanilla in standard sizes like 2.5x3.5, 2x2, 2x3, etc. I do the same for other colors to layer underneath the white or vanilla Since I have the Carl Cutter, if I want to cut one sheet, I might as well cut a bunch!

my blog http://stampingwithsharon.blogspot.com/