Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Makes You Stop?

What makes you stop and take a closer look when browsing through the gallery? After you have viewed a card etc. up close what does it take to compel you to make a comment? I know I always stop if it is a stamp set I own especially if it is an older set.

Just curious,
Andi Pandi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I get tired of cards, so I find that if there's something like a candle, container, favor, etc. then I stop and look closer (usually mark it as a Favorite).

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What Makes You Stop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by APandi
After you have viewed a card etc. up close what does it take to compel you to make a comment?
I usually think of what kind of comment I would make before looking at the rest. If what I would say has already been said, I don't comment. If I have something to add to what has been said, then I'll comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I stop to look closer if it is an unusual layout. A set I am thinking about buying. A set I need ideas for. Or if it just "POPS" out at me.
I try to always always always always leave a comment. And pick one thing on it that I particularly like. (Only once in awhile do I see a card that I can't find one good thing about.) Why do I try to comment on all? because if I see that my card has been viewed like 500 time and there is only 2 comments I feel that 498 people couldn't find one good thing to say about my card. And I know I feel so encouraged when there are nice things left. I don't know why people can't take the extra 10 seconds to leave a comment if they took the time to view it.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I'm totally with you Kerry. If a card catches my eye enough for me to click on it I leave a comment about 99% of the time. I'm with you also on the fact that it is weird you have serveral hundred people look at one card and you have 1 or 2 comments. I know I love getting comments on my card and if I can do the same for someone else than I will. I go through the gallery under the least popular topic at least once a day to try and give them all a comment. I know I would appreciate it.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Group Leader

I have noticed that many times there is something that strikes you eye in the thumbnail view and then I click on it and look closer, usually these are the cards with more contrast but honestly I think we may miss so much but not taking a closer look because the subtle things than can't be seen in the thumbnail size can be so quickly overlooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll click on the thumbnail if the layout or color scheme appeals to me, if I can't see it well enough in the thumbnail, but yet what I can see intrigues me, or if I love it so much I want to save a copy for inspiration. I try to comment on everything I click on, but I have vowed to not save a single picture to my inspiration folder unless I have made a comment on it. I think it's only fair that the artist who inspires me knows that I appreciate their work!

Dejah (janz)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

i look at pretty much every flower set because i LOVE flowers.. and i love designer paper.. so i look at those..
and lately.. anything kim van de reit.. she is awesome.. i love all of her cards..

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:46 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

For me, it's usually a color combination that makes me take a better look. But, I also look at the set, if it's something I have and need a fresh idea for, or something I think I might need, but not sure what to do with it. Or it's something unusual and need to know how they did that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I try to look at the cards for stamp sets I have or I am wanting to have...I always click on the SAB set firsts...then move my way down the alphabet to the sets I have....another thing I do is I click on the "least popular" cards, and try to find something "nice" to comment...I mean, if someone can take the time to make the card and then post it, I think someone should at least make a comment on it.....I know I would feel absolutely horrible if I saw that there were some "views" but no one commented on it :shock: and I will duplicate a comment, if that is what came to my mind at first, then that is what I will state!
I do find it funny how some cards will have 34882 views, but only 17 comments......hmmmmm.....strange.....

........anyway, my .02
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lots of things compel me to click on a thumbnail... a favorite set of stamps, a "look" that appeals to me (usually vintage), a technique that is new to me... lots of things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

When I have time to go through the gallery, I usually look at the entire day's uploads. I don't want to miss something, or an opportunity to see something new. And I always leave a comment if I view a sample. It's so rewarding to hav someone tell you you've done a good job. And who better than to uplift and support us than other stampers?! People around here have no idea the work I put into my stuff, so they just don't "get it".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I stop and look if its something that catches my eye. I love seeing what other people do as it gives me inspiration. I am always astounded how creative people are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Usually, I click on cards that 'jump' out at me, and I am looking for recipe details. I know that is a huge reason for me to comment - trying to cement the recipe in my head. By the same token, if there are no details, not even CS and ink color, I am real unlikely to leave a comment.
I also have a hard time when the comment in my head has already been expresseed more than 3 times. (Unless it is a LunarLana card - there are truly only a limited # of ways to drool in a post) I can't think of something else. I can't even always think of my kids' names ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I usually click on the least popular option and try and comment on a couple of them at least. I know what it's like to have no one comment on a card that you worked really hard on and had the guts enough to post, so I try and support people that way. ~Lorie
Old 01-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean about sounding redundant. I feel like I have commented "beautiful", "great job", or "very pretty" a thousand times. So I have taken to going to http://thesaurus.reference.com/ (one of my FAVORITE sites...lol!) and putting in a "boring" word like beautiful or great and keeping it open while I am browsing the gallery. So I can spice up my comments! LOL!
I don't think that you can ever give too many compliments. So if it's been said already it never hurts to say it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Color! Anything colorful with bold accents--I click on it! I don't always leave comments because 'cute' seems redundant after the 14th post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Okay, Sue, you got me! I said I post on all the cards I see, but you reminded me about the ones without any recipes, colors, technique, etc. Ugh! I hate that! I guess I probably pass some of those by, but sometimes do ask them a question on the colors...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Simplicity! If it looks like I could easily duplicate it and especially if it's simple AND unique, I will take a closer look. If I LOVE it, I will comment. I tried to comment lots when this was brought up in a previous post, but I was surprised at how long it took to get back to where I was looking. I would comment a lot more if I could just type in a couple words, then get right back to the same spot. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

My husband bugs me enough about how much time I spend on this site. I try to get through everything quickly, but even so, I know I'm missing lots of great topics and gallery pictures. There's just SO much inspiration here!

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I'm with Katgirl, I like color combinations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

If I have the stamp set or similiar one or if it looks like something that I personally could reproduce, those tend to be the ones I notice more. There are always those ones that just wow me though, and I haven't noticed any one thing that they have in common other that great workmanship. They seem to catch everyone's eye though, because they tend to have the most comments.

I also rarely comment on the cards, because like someone previously said, how many times can you say wow, nice card. I can't usually think of anything constructive to say, that someone hasn't already said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I look for simple ones that are WOW. The easier the better. I want ones that I can show my customers that it's easy to stamp.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a paticular card style or color, it just has to hit me. Sometimes it is a bright color or the stamp set or just a very unique pattern. Sometimes it is something that is so simple, but beautiful to me. But if I stop to look, I always leave a comment, sometimes it is just a word, sometimes it is several sentences. It just depends on how much time I have. But I do believe in leaving a comment on any card that has caught my eye.
I love looking at the cards and really appreciate everyone that takes the time to scan it in for us to admire. If they can take the time, so can I.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

There is usually something that POPS - whether it be the color or the details - then I click on the card and investigate further! I must admit - the darker colors with the lighter on the top really pop more for me. And if I see it and recognize the set - I clearly must check it out to see if it is case-able!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to STAMPINSTEL

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurelwright
I have noticed that many times there is something that strikes you eye in the thumbnail view and then I click on it and look closer, usually these are the cards with more contrast but honestly I think we may miss so much but not taking a closer look because the subtle things than can't be seen in the thumbnail size can be so quickly overlooked.
This is my sentiments exactly ! There are some I was not sure if I liked till I clicked on the thumbnail and got a better look at it , then made a coment.
LASTEL #3810
MY BLOG
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Default What makes you stop

I usually stop at all differnet kinds of items, not just cards. I look for things that would intreg me as well as my customers. I should be better at adding my comments to many of the samples in the galleries, but I feel that I might miss something if I stopped at everyone I liked to make a comment. The gallery grows by leaps and bounds every minute.

Just in case I don't add my comments enough.....You guys/gals ROCK!!!!
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #27  
Total Quack

I look through all of them each day and let them 'jump' out at me. I almost always comment on cards I take the time to look at closely - unless #1, there is no recipe or description (that's *really* frustrating!!!), or #2, there are a gazillion other comments. Sometimes, I don't comment on the ones with a lot of other comments because I feel that I will just be repeating what has already been said. Also, I think that those that only have a few comments need encouraging.

This is a phenomenal resource for people that are looking for inspiration and for those looking for some affirmation. I want to make sure I encourage those that I can .... as minute as my encouragement might be!!

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes