Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes you comment on blogs?

Hello! I am just really curious to see what others say on this topic. What makes you take the time to leave a comment on a blog versus just looking and leaving?

I often don't leave comments but look at lots of blogs but of course love comments on my own blog. My personal blog gets very low numbers of comments and I admit I often wonder why.

I do comment on a good number of blogs and reciprocate comments left for me but for how long I've been blogging I wonder why I don't have more people commenting.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions! Have a great day
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I like looking at blogs but most require you to have an account of some kind yourself to log in to comment. I don't have those accounts or want them so on a lot of blogs that don't let you leave anonymous comment I just can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always try to remember to comment as I go as ai think its nice to let people know I like what I see. Sometimes you Aileen more drawn to comment because of what was said in the post. Humor or someones sadness can often lead to peoples commenting to let them know they have enjoyed the humor or feel for their pain. Seeing someones creative ability I love to let them know how much I enjoy looking at what they do or feel inspired by what they have done. I think often it can end up coming down to time- whether someone is too busy to chat but happy to have a quick look.
I have a Facebook page with over 900 followers but they rarely say anything unless I ask a question - why - because its a page people go to for information on sign language and obviously there not much to say to me. But I know when I crack a joke or say something smart there will always be some comments
Maybe it comes down to how you write your blog to try and get interaction going. Thanking people for the comments always helps. I know I enjoy when someone I have commented to responds even though I dont expect them to, its nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In no particular order:

- it's a friend and i'm cheering on their creation
- there's blog candy
- the featured project is not by a friend but is really awesome

I've been getting a lot of inspiration from Pinterest, and haven't had time to read blogs as much as I used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I like looking at blogs but most require you to have an account of some kind yourself to log in to comment. I don't have those accounts or want them so on a lot of blogs that don't let you leave anonymous comment I just can't.
It is very frustrating as a Blogger myself to NOT allow Anonymous Comments as I know this excludes some people, but unfortunately on Google Blogger, if I allow Anonymous Comments, I get an avalanche of SPAM comments (and I mean 100+ a day), many of which are rude and vulgar. Every so often, I go in and change my blog settings to allow Anonymous Comments to see what happens, but unfortunately, I get the same problem :( I know people say that you can moderate comments before you publish them (which I do) but looking at a gazillion "explicit" comments distresses me so for now, I can't allow them :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
It is very frustrating as a Blogger myself to NOT allow Anonymous Comments as I know this excludes some people, but unfortunately on Google Blogger, if I allow Anonymous Comments, I get an avalanche of SPAM comments (and I mean 100+ a day), many of which are rude and vulgar. Every so often, I go in and change my blog settings to allow Anonymous Comments to see what happens, but unfortunately, I get the same problem :( I know people say that you can moderate comments before you publish them (which I do) but looking at a gazillion "explicit" comments distresses me so for now, I can't allow them :(
Have to agree with you there. Better off blocking anonymous and honestly its soooo easy to open an account through google, yahoo, gmail etc anyone can open an account they just use for comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If it's a friend or if what was said moved me in some way beyond the everyday - whether the emotion was happy, sad, inspired, whatever. My issue is ALWAYS time, though - having time to look at blogs AND having time to comment. I tend to be more of a lurker, in truth...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I hardly ever get on a blog.

If I want to see how to make a card or a certain technique, I normally use you-tube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all the responses! It's helped me see and think of things I never have. I also agree with the blocking of anonymous comments for the same reason, way too much spam!! I was getting tons of awful spam comments too and I just don't want to sift through all of that.

Thanks again for the insight into your reasons for commenting or not. It helps me to understand more where people are coming from...myself included!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mind having an account so I can comment, and I do so quite a bit.

One thing that really turns me off from making comments on a blog is when they have the little box with the distorted characters that you need to decipher to prove you are not a robot.

I have failed many of these numerous times. They are hard sometimes to see and figure out. I just give up and don't comment sometimes when that is the case.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I only check out blogs when there's a link in SCS gallery posting, and I want more information about the specific card. I have found limitations to commenting in a blog, so I rarely do....mostly to ask a question about a product or technique the artist has used, or to rave about their creation. It's easier to comment through SCS gallery. I have to LOVE their style, too...that's the first criterion for gallery or blog search anyway.
I don't read any blogs where the poster has personal information, vacations, kid's accomplishments, etc. I have not found anyone else's life events very interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I used to go to blogs a lot from cards posted on here. People would say something like "for more details, visit my blog." And when I clicked on the link and would go to their blogs, many only had more pictures of the card. I love instructions on how it was made, not just what they used to make it. There are a lot you could figure out, but most of the ones I wanted to CASE didn't have any further instructions. I eventually gave up. If I go to any blogs now, its mostly Jennifer McGuire or Savannah O'Gwynn because they have tutorials. I love tutorials!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I often comment when the blogger shares something personal in their post. I don't mind jumping through hoops to comment. <G> And I really like it when the blogger writes me back after I leave a comment. Those blogs I'll continue to leave comments on.

I also like finding blogs that are easy to navigate. I just looked at yours, Leah, and I love your cards!! The only thing I'd change about your blog (and I'm not a blogger myself, just a frequent blog-reader) is that I'd make your text right-justified instead of each line being centered as you have it now. It's MUCH easier to read if the beginning of each line is lined up on the right. I wouldn't say anything, except you asked. :-)

I'm an SU demo, so most of the blogs I visit are SU.

Happy blogging, and happy stamping! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
My reason too!
If you sign up for an account you get deluged with emails .
I know I miss out on a lot of things that would interest me , but it is not worth the hassle of all the emails
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have Gmail, for instance, you can sign in to comment with that, and I don't find I get spam emails because of it, so that may help. Word Verification is a huge turn off for most people, I never bother with comments if the blogger has that installed. I think people can visit because they searched for a particular term, and a blog came up in the search, but when they followed the link, it wasn't what they were looking for, so they just skipped off a again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,909 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I also leave a blog quickly if I get an annoying ad to sign up for emails. These adds follow you for a while and I can't get past them until they finally disappear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I comment when I am really impressed by a card. But if they have google plus, I can't comment because I don't have that and I don't want to sign up for it either. It frustrates me when I can't comment. This has gotten to the point of craziness on the big ol' world wide web. Just my 2 cent opinion.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I comment on every blog that is on my blog side bar. I have been commenting to the same people for 4 years and have become friends with a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I comment when I am really impressed by a card. But if they have google plus, I can't comment because I don't have that and I don't want to sign up for it either. It frustrates me when I can't comment. This has gotten to the point of craziness on the big ol' world wide web. Just my 2 cent opinion.

Shirl
Oh yes, I have found the same problem. I had a lady who commented on my blog a couple of times but I couldn't reciprocate because of this Google Plus thing which was so frustrating. I ended up emailing to say "thank you" for her comments. I am so glad that I didn't sign up for Google Plus for my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I have pretty much tried it all on my blog. I'm pretty sure it's my lack of writing skills that makes it where I don't get comments. When I first started blogging it would upset me a little but I think I have been blogging for 4 years now and I don't even think about it but I do like to reply back to someone leaving me a comment ..now for the blogs I don't like leaving comments at: Those stupid pop up adds, they drive me insane!..word verification, dislike those silly numbers and letters plus your first born child in order to leave a nice comment..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Two main reasons I don't comment: 1) I have to create an account to comment. I have too many accounts now; I don't need more. I'm a member her at SCS and comment here. And 2) Time. I hardly have time to look at stuff, let alone comment.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes