Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #121
Glitter Guru

I just started saving my empty prescription bottles . The labels peel right off and you can use them for little embellishments. just use a label making machine to label it with the contents that are in the bottle. Same with a film container.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #122
Cardstock Collector

Smile Pizza Boxes

I guess it is cheating because I don't actually SAVE Pizza Boxes - I buy them from the pizza restaurant so that they are nice and clean. They sell the medium size ones to me for 35 cents and I assemble them inside out so the part that shows has no writing on it. I can stack these up and write on the front the contents: cardstock, pens, pencils, brushes, patterns, templates, rubber stamps, ink pads, paint, and on and on and on. The large pizza boxes hold 12 x 12 paper but the mediums and smalls are easier to stack. Since they are all the same size and shape they look neat and tidy. It is amazing how about 90 percent of the stuff in my craft room fits into a pizza box. The guy at the pizza restaurant finally asked me the other day what I was buying all those boxes for - and he was really surprised to find out that I was using them for craft storage.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #123
Glitter Guru

I save all my glass spagetti jars. there the same as a mason jar. Once there all cleaned up . I use them for ribbon, prima flowers. All sort of items I can put in them. thenI store them on my shelf and use for decoration to dress up my stamp room. Plus where there clear you can see right in them and it's a lot easier to find things this way.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #124
Crimping Master

I've recently been saving the Chai tea containers from Tader Joes. They're about half the size of a standard coffee can, and just asking to be altered!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #125
Gallery Gazer

I read through all 124 posts, got some really cool ideas and I think I have two new ones:

1. Baby bell cheese wedge containers (round, cardboard) make really cute holders for mini albums. Small candy sampler boxes work as well.
2. Taco shell inserts protect bumpy cards from the post office (not mine but I read it somewhere on SCS.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #126
Cardstock Collector

I am a beginner stamper and this information is priceless! The one thing I kept that I have not found a use for are those metal gum containers that you can find at the checkout (well, my kids find them). They are very similar to the old metal band-aid containers. You can't see through them obviously, but would work best embellished and given as a gift. You could label the top of the lid and store scrap paper and other embellishments.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #127
Stazon Splitcoast

I cut my 6-pack (or so) microwave popcorn cardboard boxes in half and use them to hold gift packs of cards. I also punch holes in them to thread ribbon through (as a handle).
Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #128
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62View Post
I just started saving my empty prescription bottles . The labels peel right off and you can use them for little embellishments. just use a label making machine to label it with the contents that are in the bottle. Same with a film container.

I've started saving empty prescription bottles also .. but I use them to decorate with a fake "prescription" - using the recipient's name -- and filling it with M&M's to give is a little get-well gift. Decorate with pretty paper & ribbons -- very cute! Should have taken pics, huh?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #129
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdoyle8View Post
I've started saving empty prescription bottles also .. but I use them to decorate with a fake "prescription" - using the recipient's name -- and filling it with M&M's to give is a little get-well gift. Decorate with pretty paper & ribbons -- very cute! Should have taken pics, huh?
That is a super cute idea!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #130
Kookie Creator

Default I save the applesauce cups,

I put punchies in them for a work in progress (WIP);
save little tins (w/ covers, for little SU tags punches for any future projects);
love the medicine Rx bottles, crystal light tubs, and short pringle cans.

started to save cereal boxes, etc, for cheap chipboard to punch out.

use black plastic produce trays for WIP,
shoebox lids for organizers in drawers.

saving TP rolls for something, just don't know what yet, but everytime I have recycle them, I need one.

jelly jars for pens and scissors.

great thread, tfs, gail
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #131
Matboard Maniac

We love Lays Stax chips that come in the blue plastic can with yellow lids. I saved all the cans and used them when my sister was coaching a dance team whose school colors were blue and yellow. I made decorative wrappers personalizing them with each girl's name and filled them with candy and small gifts when they went to the state competition. The girls loved them.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #132
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This thread is so cool

I use baby food jars to store embellishments - and jelly jars for my ribbons and buttons - on my bookcase - oh and one extra behind them for my hidden chocolate stash I keep meaning to decorate the lids but havent gotten around to that yet...one day...

I had a wooden silverware container I was no longer using and was going to get rid of it when it occurred to me that my SU markers would fit perfectly in the 4 sections - they are stored flat, and it fits on my shelf perfectly...

I seemed to have acquired lots of pens you get in hotels etc that I just have in a drawer and never use them - with various logos on - to pretty them up I wrapped green florists tape around them and attached a silk flower to the top of each using a large glue dot - the same as you see in some stores - and then I used an old flower pot filled with black beans to stand them it - they look fab on my desk, I always know where to find my pens and my husband doesnt take them I did the same with pencils but used a different color flower on the top so I know which is a pen and which is a pencil

Sarah
Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #133
Crimping Master

Sarah, great idea with the pens from different hotels. Seem like they just get thrown in the drawer and can never find one! I like to save the cough syrup cups and throw extra buttons, beads in them..Phyllis
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #134
Rubber Obsessor

bump!

great ideas ladies!!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #135
Insane Embellisher

I always save the clear plastic zippered packaging that sheets, blankets, or curtains come in. The bigger squarish ones I use for yarn. The smaller ones I use for card samples or project pieces.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #136
Matboard Maniac

Subscribing!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #137
Die Cut Diva

Love this thread! I have bought the small metal tins with the gum from Wal-Mart, give my kids the gum and then alter the tins with ribbon, paper, rubons, buttons, etc. I use them for gift cards or cash for birthdays! Kids love them! I have also altered 6 pack long neck beer containers - cover with paper, stamp on them, use ribbon, buttons, stickers, what ever matches my them and then fill with goodies! I filled one with a baby blanket, booties, baby book and other baby items for my daughter! My husband saves these for me now - he used to throw them away and I would get on to him that we need to recycle! I have also altered an oatmeal container. the round cyclinder ones, covered with paper, embellished and added goodies from the Dollar STore for a little girls birthday (candy, pens, cute little pad of paper, etc) I will save just about anything if I think I can reuse!

Thanks for all of the great ideas ladies!

Sherry
Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #138
Die Cut Diva

Our family has always used our food boxes for wrapping presents in. So at Christmas or on your birthday the box of tampons you open isnt really tampons! LOL

This does backfire sometimes, when you give someone outside of the family a gift and they open it to find a pasta box and look at you like your crazy! Now, when I open presents I have to open the box just to make sure it really is what the box is!

But containers I save are my dagoba cacao powder tins, they are thick beautiful metal with wonderful lids that are great for storing all the little items I have.

Also baby food jars, once the label is off and they are clean then it makes a really great jar for candles or potpourri.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #139
Matboard Maniac

Pringles potato chip containers are great to decorate and store the smaller roller wheels in. I have heard some people roll stripes across the paper first to show
what wheels are in the container.
I haven't gotten that far, but a great idea!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #140
Glitter Guru

I save the plastic garment bags also from sheets and blankets But I use them for stroing my winter clothes in OR my extra blankets and afghans.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 AM   #141
Rubber Obsessor

This is great! Grocery shopping suddenly takes on a whole new meaning

www.theparrottsnest.blogspot.com
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #142
Mad Swapper

I am bringing this old thread BTT. I have a new idea to add. The bottom carton from a package of Velveeta makes a great drawer divider. It is long enough to hold pens, or other small objects. I recycled mine last night after making mac & cheese. It fits perfectly in my Sterlite drawer. I use it to hold my small bottles of Stickles neatly.

Yes... I am a slacker mom and use Velveeta for mac and cheese. Now that I know how well the containers work I guess I may have to use it more.

My Gallery
Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #143
Rubber Obsessor

I save olive jars and store my tiny alphabet stamps in them.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #144
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
I am bringing this old thread BTT. I have a new idea to add. The bottom carton from a package of Velveeta makes a great drawer divider. It is long enough to hold pens, or other small objects. I recycled mine last night after making mac & cheese. It fits perfectly in my Sterlite drawer. I use it to hold my small bottles of Stickles neatly.

Yes... I am a slacker mom and use Velveeta for mac and cheese. Now that I know how well the containers work I guess I may have to use it more.
also the 3lbs of cream cheese from bj's/sams club. great for small loose punches
Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #145
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't go back to the beginning since I subscribed and read this long ago, but I just saved some tiny jelly jars (you know, those kinds that come in holiday gift packs) and used some of the SAB rub ons on those. I filled them with some punched flowers and also added some paper flowers to the top. They make cute customer or hostess gifts.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #146
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! It's great to know that I am not alone in "saving everything" as my family puts it! I save 1)pringles cans, 2)frap bottles, 3)altoid tins, 4)mason jars (or jars similar), 5)pop top cans, and the list goes on............. This is a great thread! Nice to see what people save and their uses.