Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #81
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheron

I also save the little spoons they use at ice cream stores and deli counters for "tastes" to use with my embossing powder.
I save these too...when people recognize the little pink Baskin Robbins spoons, they always get a laugh out of it!

Other things I save...ANYTHING with a "pop top" lid that has a normal ridged lid on the bottom so I can open it with my "smooth edge" can opener and then stuff goodies into it and dress it up with a stamped wrapper for an interesting gift wrap. Fruit cups, pineapple cans, Chunky soup cans, etc. (the standard soup cans have a rounded bottom so can only be opened from the pop top)

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned (but I did skip about the last half page of comments) but the little Starbucks Frappacino jars that have been showing up in the gallery stuffed with chocolate and wearing a "I Like It A Latte" label! Have wrapped up 3 of them for gifts so far but have saved a few more than that. Hafta spray some Chlorox into them though...even after they are washed they do get a little "funny" smelling.

Altoids tins!!! the flat CD containers that AOL used to send out junk CD's in. My friends at work still collect all their tins for me...I can't bear to toss them although I haven't been all that productive with them either.

The adorable little mini metal lunch tins with the candy from the Target Dollar spot which came out this summer....they are TOO cute!!! I used the Holiday Thyme decorative paper and covered the front and back panels of the Boston Baked Beans tins and used them for "wrapping" Christmas gifts! So far, those have been the best rec'd "recycled things".

Jan
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

I save marachino cherry jars. They are nice and fat and make great doorprizes with decorated nuggets in them. I like these jars not only because of their fatness but also because the glass is not imprinted with the company name on it and neither is the top.

Also, I save the new little DoubleMint candy containers. They are a lot like Tic Tac containers but much more durable (check them out they're yummy too-wintergreen), they are perfect for brads, eyelets, you name it. They work much better than SU's containers which spill all the time.

I'm curious, how do you glue the bottom securely back on for the Pop-top projects?

Also, those fake plastic credit cards you get in the mail make great bone folders.

I love this thread!!

The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.

Psalm 28:7
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #83
Matboard Maniac

Any ideas for those big popcorn tins that you get around Christmas?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #84
Pearl-ExPert

This is one of the best threads I have seen in a while. What fantastic ideas you all have. I especially love the one about putting the glitter in the honey bottle to pour into the ornaments. What a mess I made recently trying to do this.
I save all kinds of containers, some for restoring food leftovers and such and some for storing stamping or crafting supplies.
Here is what I have remembered so far:
*I saved a bunch of those little plastic gerber containers with my son. I just knew I would have something to do with them someday, wish now I had saved more. I use these to make jello and then pour into these containers. Perfect portion size. I also have put embellishments in them.
*Crystal light containers -- these make perfect pencil/pen holders, especially for teachers.
*I save all the pop top containers, just for gift making.
*I have the picture just haven't uploaded to my gallery yet but this past week I saved my water bottles (the 8 oz. size) and put m&m's in it, stamped paper around the bottle and viola, a cute little gift.
*I have also made gift ensembles with 2 liter bottles. You can cut a slit in the back and stuff them with all kinds of things. Then stamp paper and wrap around. There is one of these in my gallery.
*Baby formula cans -- I stamped and decorated these as people do with paint cans. If you have a baby or have friends that have babies, then these are free.
*I too use cool whip or butter containers for left overs. My grandmother started me on this because I always wanted to take food from her house (especially when I was in college) and would never bring back the containers.
The possibilities are endless...........
Project 365 blog
Old 01-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #85
Pearl-ExPert

Oh and I know these are becoming obsolete and are not really a food container but film canisters too. Especially if you can find the clear ones. They make perfect little embellishment storage too.
Project 365 blog
Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 PM   #86
Die Cut Diva

When I made green bean casserole for Christmas, I saved the container the French's French Fried Onions came in, covered and embellished it kinda like the quart size paint cans. It is a cardboard "can" and really is a great container.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Old 01-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #87
Mad Swapper

Some great ideas here. I have saved a few of the starbucks frappe bottles to decorate for valentines day. A few weeks back I went to toss out a small coffee can and thought again, took it downstairs and decorated it. I guess if we pay more attention I am sure there are many fabulous containers out there for this purpose. Here is a link to the one I did...I have not filled it with anything yet, that might take some thought.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=14103
Old 01-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #88
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by adifrog
I love using these big tins as fancy trash cans for my stamping area and around the house. Walmart bags line them pretty well, and then I can just empty the bag into the large trash bag when it's full. I also use these big cans to store a ton of my stash of yarn from my other addition, I mean craft, of knitting and crochet.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #89
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by pryor208
I love using these big tins as fancy trash cans for my stamping area and around the house. Walmart bags line them pretty well, and then I can just empty the bag into the large trash bag when it's full. I also use these big cans to store a ton of my stash of yarn from my other addition, I mean craft, of knitting and crochet.
Thanks! That's a great idea!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #90
Crimping Master

I just posted my first Ovaltine can. It is the same size as a paint can and of course I have ton of them saved up to be altered. They are also the perfect size to hold spools of ribbon.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...00&ppuser=9671
Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #91
Glitter Guru

I like the containers for the nestee Ice tea, I used mine and covered it with a decorative printed paper and put my CM pens in these I have 2 of them.they sit on my craft table perfect size for pens. Caps fit on too.

I also save my french fried onion cardboard tins, coffee containers, Frosting containers are also good for any kind of embellishments. I used the tin rectangle container from a gourmet coffee like the international coffees. I covered that to hold my glue sticks in, it's the perfect size.

Empty SU containers for stamps sets can be used for those little bottles of embossing powders, pearlex powders, small punches, pens, marvy liquid markers. You can decopauge (spelled it wrong)the outside of it.

I have a stash of them and just thought of this so now it's off to go have some fun decorating them.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #92
Glitter Guru

Mayonaisse jars are just about the same size as the bell jars they are selling in Micheals right now and holding the new ribbon spools in. Save a little on the jars.. My husband bought a mayonaisse container with a snap on lit that folds over saved this for something.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #93
Polyshrink Goddess

I too love this thread what great ideas. Here's a couple I have done. For a baby shower I took a baby wipes plastic container (they cheapest brand has a white pearl box) and I emptied the wipes. I decorated it outside. Took the pop up lid and put lace around it a perfect place for a picture on the inside of the pop up of the new baby. They saved all the wrapping paper and ribbons from the party and I used them as embellishments. I made a fold out paper album to go inside kinda acordian type thing and put the pictures and stamped things. The box still had room so we put in the little things from the shower like the plastic tiny baby bottles and things people put on the packages. I wish I could post a picture, I am still working on that need my puter guru to help me. The mom to be loved it.
I have used the big red folgers coffee container and made a doggie treat container. It came out fabulous. I have about 20 of these from friends who save them up. They are everywhere.
Thanks for sharing one and all
M
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #94
Glitter Guru

a short can, Can be used to hold a candle in to burn when the lights go out, So why not decorate a can to use for this.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #95
First To Quack

How about those great black containers that Oil of Olay facial cloths come in? They are hinged so you can easily put lots of goodies in one.

Cards from the Cabana
Old 01-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #96
Matboard Maniac

Wow so many great ideas!
Here's a few I have:
-For those of you who would like the gerber containers (which I use tons of for little things) buy the apples or pears. It's basically like plain apple sauce and doesn't have any of the added sugar and stuff.
-I have a shelf lined with decorated formula cans (but coffee, etc. will work). All you do is put a bit of velcro on the side of the can and on the shelf to hold the can in place. Then you can place things in there horizontally for easy access like markers, scissors, etc. Makes a cute row of cubbies.
-I buy a lot of the Bobbin Ribbon from Michaels. I save any empty rolls and put other ribbon on the spools. The spools fit perfectly in the embroidery floss containers. I also put embelishments in there, that way you can see everything you have at once.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:21 AM   #97
Glitter Guru

bp
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #98
Stampin' Fool

I just used an Almond Roca container (from Sam's Club, big size, cardboard type) for a friend's DS's BDay gift! I decorated the outside with some patterned paper, used my Wishblade to cut out a rollerblading boy (it was a skate party) and his name in CS, stuck them on the side, cut a circle of CS out to put on the top of the lid and stamped it with Happy Birthday, To: and From:, stuffed it with $25 in crumpled up $1 bills, tied some hemp around from bottom to top......PERFECT! He LOVED it! Of course it looks like WAAAAY more than $25 when it's all wadded up, so that was funny!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #99
Insane Embellisher

The clear plastic Ferraro Rocher containers - they are rectangular and probably hold 2 rows of 6 or 8 candies. They are the PERFECT size for storing SU! embellishments that come in the round containers, like eyelets. I can fit 5 or 6 of these in one container. Love them !
Old 01-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #100
Stazon Splitcoast

I save the cardboard bottoms from cases of bottled water. I cut off the front edge and line with paper towels. They make a great work surface and protect my desktiop when doing messy projects. For example, when doing the polished stone technique, I place my reinkers, and alcohol toward the back of the box; glossy cardstock near the open edge. If the reinkers tip or splatter, the edge helps contain the mess, and I can just toss out the box when I'm done!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #101
Insane Embellisher

Default wow...

Just subscribing to the thread...lots of great ideas
Amy
Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 AM   #102
Glitter Guru

bringing back to top for any newbies who are joining the board. There's some really great tips and ideas here ladies.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 AM   #103
Glitter Guru

Pringles containers can fit the small wheels in it. Roll the wheel on white cardstock then adhere to the outside of container. This way you won't forget what wheels you have in the container.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:35 AM   #104
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

I save OXO cube boxes (hopefully you will know what I mean, but just in case you don't ... they're the little cubes for making gravy)

I cover them and make them into mini-sewing boxes for friends and family.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #105
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
Mayonaisse jars are just about the same size as the bell jars they are selling in Micheals right now and holding the new ribbon spools in. Save a little on the jars.. My husband bought a mayonaisse container with a snap on lit that folds over saved this for something.

These are great for holding sets of children's toys which come with small pieces.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #106
Compulsive Stamper

I save the small jars that ice cream topping nuts come in. I'm not sure of the brand at the moment but they have a cute plaid lid.

Julie
Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #107
Crimping Master

Did you see that this month's Stampin News (April 2007) has an article on pop top cans on page 22? Cute idea.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #108
First To Quack

I saw the cutest little balls of ribbon at Archivers. They were rolled up like a ball of yarn & stored in a small tube. That would be cute in one of these recycled jars! With a straight pin holding them closed it would be easy to dump them out to get to the color you want. KWIM?

Cards from the Cabana
Old 04-14-2007, 11:30 AM   #109
First To Quack

bump!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #110
Hardware Hotshot

I don't remember if this was posted, but I'm really happy I never throw away my berry baskets and cherry tomato clamshells ...
I re-re-re-vamped my ribbon and fiber room and used them to hold my SU! spools as well as hand-rolled balls of yarn and looped ribbon.

clear, stackable, mostly uniform sizes and
FREE!

(I use them for cs scraps too)
Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #111
Hardware Hotshot

I was never a saver oc containers until I met SCS. Now I look at everything and think, "Hey I could do this and that".
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 AM   #112
Stazon Splitcoast

i used to organize my daughters barbie clothes in the plastic containers that the chocolate and strawberry QUIK milk mix come in. i would decorate them with barbie pix.
great for polly pocket stuff too.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #113
Matboard Maniac

Good thread! If you're gifting a plastic container that has a code printed in ink, remember to try the Magic Eraser to remove it ....it reallly is magic!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #114
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by adifrog
I have two of those! Both of them are trash cans (plastic shopping bags fit perfectly into them!) and the lids cover up the two most un-used burners on my stove.

I have Altoid tins too. I'm using them for a bunch of small unmounted stamps. Also, I use them for tiny little cards that I've made for DH.

I'm going to save my current cereal box to make chipboard with.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #115
Kookie Creator

Default Wow

To think all of the stuff I have "wasted" over the years makes me want to cry. I KNOW I have a can of unopened pringles....now to go and empty it so I can use it to craft. Muwahahaha!

One question though...the pop top tin things are absolutely adorable, but how do "secure" the bottom? I am a little bit confused on that part.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread. SO extremely awesome! Ya'll are so creative.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #116
Compulsive Stamper

The Hormel Bacon Bit glass jars are cute to store brads, primas and any other small embellishments you might have in. They are tall and slender.

Julie
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast

Just been reading some of the comments here... ever think we are just frustrated garbage collectors that don't get to ride on the back of the truck???? LOL Unfortunately I am guilty of all of the above! My DH's fav expression is 'you have $46,000 worth of Tupperware... why are you saving this margarine tub? He just doesn't understand I guess.. that tub can hold things.. be a liquid container and be filled with little scraps of paper.. I save everything!! You never know when you might need it! Keep up the creative work ladies.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #118
Hardware Hotshot

A few years ago after my parent's cat died, they gave me the rest of its dry cat food for my cats; Mom & Dad buy their pets' food at Sam's, so the food they gave me came in a large plastic bucket. Now, everytime I buy a new bag of food for my cats, I dump it into the plastic bucket & it stays fresh.

I recently used some square & rectangular tupperware containers that no longer had lids to organize my supplies. I bought a plastic 3-drawer "cabinet" and those containers worked perfect to keep everything neat in the drawers.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 05-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #119
Matboard Maniac

Just think gals, we are doing a GREAT thing for the environment too by not throwing away these plastic containers !

****OK, I'm not that big of an environmentalist but every little bit helps, right ???****
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #120
Kookie Creator

Lightbulb My 2 cents worth...

My hubby eats a lot of nuts. We buy them at Sam's in a large plastic jar. I use them on the stamp tables when I have stamp club for "little trash". I have not decorated them, but I think I will try that soon. also, the plastic meat trays from Walmart...I cut up raggedy towels, fold the pieces two or three times and use them for stamp cleaning. I dampen the terry cloth, squeeze out most of the water, add some liquid dish soap and voila! Stamp cleaner!
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).