Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #281
Matboard Maniac

Maybe she should some eat the chocolate chip and and share a bit of pink passion but thinking twice maybe not more likely to take her followers a trip to Bermuda bay.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #282
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethScrap View Post
I really am confused by some peoples ideas that SU demos should leave these boards. Are you really going to tell the people who built this sight and made it so popular to begin with that they should now leave???

So SU demos built a great site that attracted a lot of other stampers so now they should be forced to leave???

And have some of you ever considered that most demos "gush" over the SU products because they really do love them. And maybe that is why they are a demo!!! It's not just trying to push it down your throat.
Sorry, if you felt I implied that - I meant that if someone wanted a specific product board that they are free to start one. That is no longer the direction that SCS is taking and all of us who belong to this community should support SCS's decision that their forum is open to ALL stamping discussion not just one group's products and that generously there are companies that do financially help support these boards for all discussion in return for a small forum section and advertisement.

SCS is an awesome hostess with the mostest IMHO who doesn't want to upset those she originally set up to entertain, but whose social circles have moved on to be more inclusive.

PS - I would also like to point out that if you look at my recent posts in general stamping I actually asked a person last night (December 29, 2009) why they randomly pushed SU in a discussion that was asking about something else.

Again I have no problem with SU. If someone posts the topic "I'm looking for Christmas stamps" I expect every product to be represented. However, if someone posts "I'm looking for Christmas stamps non-SU" I don't really expect three or four posts down to find someone pushing SU products. I just find it disrespectful when people don't even acknowledge the question and are determined to answer with their answer no matter what product they are promoting.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #283
Stazon Splitcoast

I understand that occasionally there is an SU demo who is a bit overbearing, but I find that less and less. In fact, I searched for SU or Stampin Up on several threads that were specifically related to other companies' products and found NO mention of SU by any one. Did I do a scientific search? No. But I thought it was interesting.

With respect to SCS member companies, they do pay for the right to have a forum and can make promotional posts. The company -- Stampin Up -- does not and therefore, cannot come one here and make a promotional post. However, demos are not the owners of the company and are permitted to make promotional posts, as are demos for other companies. I assume SCS does this because it helps out SCS' own bottom line. (I assume all companies are motivated primarily by the need to earn $$).

My rule of thumb is to always be aware of a poster's affiliations when reading a post. If someone is on Hero Arts design team and weighs in on the quality of the new Hero Arts ink, I realize that I am not getting an unbiased opinion. Ditto with SU demos. Or CTMH demos or someone on a design team for Papertrey.

A while back an SU demo reminded us that they are trying to make some money. The overwhelming majority are not making huge sums, but many are making enough to help with the household bills and NEED that income. She asked us to remember that when posting, especially posts that indicate that the company is somehow a bad company. Her post really struck a chord with me.

If I believed an SU product was flawed or could be purchased elsewhere for less, I might still comment on it, but only in the same way that I would comment on another company's products or services.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #284
Gabfest Goddess

Just to clarify, Our TOS covers demos too, not just companies. They can answer a question (informational), but not start a thread advertising their companies latest product or special (promotional). And signature lines can give websites addresses, but not "come and shop at my demo website" or "see this month's special on my website".

Advertising/Solicitation
  • You may not advertise your company, product or site in our forums or solicit customers. This includes but is not limited to your own specials, sales, open houses, stamp camps, products you sell on your website, etc. edited to add: No posting for personal gain.
  • Posts that are promotional in nature or contain commercial solicitations may be deleted by one of the administrators or moderators.
  • Posts that are informational in nature regarding a company or its products are permitted.
  • Should you wish to advertise on our site, you may contact Daven Nolta at [email protected] for rates and availability.

Signatures
  • Signatures may contain a maximum of 3 off-site links.
  • Promotional language and referral links are not allowed.
  • Keep your signatures to 5 lines total. This will still give you plenty of room for fun and creativity.
  • No limit of number of SCS links as long as it fits into the line limit.
  • Keep signatures at or below a size 4 font.
  • No blinkies, pictures, animations.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #285
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B View Post
I understand that occasionally there is an SU demo who is a bit overbearing, but I find that less and less. In fact, I searched for SU or Stampin Up on several threads that were specifically related to other companies' products and found NO mention of SU by any one. Did I do a scientific search? No. But I thought it was interesting.

With respect to SCS member companies, they do pay for the right to have a forum and can make promotional posts. The company -- Stampin Up -- does not and therefore, cannot come one here and make a promotional post. However, demos are not the owners of the company and are permitted to make promotional posts, as are demos for other companies. I assume SCS does this because it helps out SCS' own bottom line. (I assume all companies are motivated primarily by the need to earn $$).

My rule of thumb is to always be aware of a poster's affiliations when reading a post. If someone is on Hero Arts design team and weighs in on the quality of the new Hero Arts ink, I realize that I am not getting an unbiased opinion. Ditto with SU demos. Or CTMH demos or someone on a design team for Papertrey.

A while back an SU demo reminded us that they are trying to make some money. The overwhelming majority are not making huge sums, but many are making enough to help with the household bills and NEED that income. She asked us to remember that when posting, especially posts that indicate that the company is somehow a bad company. Her post really struck a chord with me.

If I believed an SU product was flawed or could be purchased elsewhere for less, I might still comment on it, but only in the same way that I would comment on another company's products or services.
Well put!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #286
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_S_K View Post
is there butter on that pop corn? Can I have some?

Betty
Are you sure you want butter on it? Used to work in a movie theater concession stand in high school, and the sight of gallon jugs filled with some sort of viscous yellowish liquid that didn't need refrigeration put me off getting buttered popcorn for good!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #287
Rubber Obsessor

What I don't understand about threads like these is why everyone is so offended by other people's opinions.

If you don't like to read anything negative..... don't read the thread.

Some people like to debate issues, some like to slag companies or people.

I personally don't care for negativity but I also don't like the Sunshine and Rainbows Brigade handslapping others for open discussion on real topics.

Personal responsibility on both sides,

Attacking a company just to stir the pot is never cool but it should be OK to say so if you have a legit beef.

If you cannot handle reading something negative about your favorite company you have the option to skip over the thread or post some thing positive to refute but to whine about being hurt or offended by another's opinion is silly and trying to bully people to stop posting is no better.

I love SU, though I don't agree with all of their policies. That's life.

Nobody is going to change how I feel either way regardless of their post. I am an adult.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #288
Hardware Hotshot

I'm curious...are there comments on other threads like CTMH, Gina K, TAC, etc. where people post negatives? I just would never think to go a thread and say negative things. Now, that's just me. I just don't get it.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #289
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allistamps123 View Post
I'm curious...are there comments on other threads like CTMH, Gina K, TAC, etc. where people post negatives? I just would never think to go a thread and say negative things. Now, that's just me. I just don't get it.
If people have a negative experience then I am sure that they have posted it. I don't specifically. However Gina K doesn't have demo direct sales and she is on the boards fairly regularly and handles things pretty quickly. The other two companies are direct sales and I am sure that if people had negative demo/product experiences then it has been more than ok for them to post their experiences.

I see very few people just saying negative things for the sake of it on SCS in general (I know it does happen) however posters are somewhat encouraged to share their experiences about papercrafting on this board. Do you equally not get the negative posts about Michael's, Joanne's, et. al.?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #290
Kookie Creator

Originally Posted by Betty_S_K
is there butter on that pop corn? Can I have some?

Betty
Are you sure you want butter on it? Used to work in a movie theater concession stand in high school, and the sight of gallon jugs filled with some sort of viscous yellowish liquid that didn't need refrigeration put me off getting buttered popcorn for good!

Betty
Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #291
Rubber Obsessor

In reading many of these threads I have noticed a few demos who are a bit passive agressive in their SU promotion, like a neener-neener mentality but very subtle.

What I do not like most are the posts, with one demo especially, I will not name is ...they have to comment on every SU post that is not a cheerleader post as negative or SU bashing. They handslap in a elitist pompous way.

Then they do an oh-so-subtle hairflip and go back to the demo boards and say something like "It is so nice to be where we are supported and not over there with all THOSE people"

Like I said, nobody has the power to change how I feel about anything but I do see that those types of posters are the ones most are referring to as keeping the debate raging.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #292
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2browndog View Post
In reading many of these threads I have noticed a few demos who are a bit passive agressive in their SU promotion, like a neener-neener mentality but very subtle.

What I do not like most are the posts, with one demo especially, I will not name is ...they have to comment on every SU post that is not a cheerleader post as negative or SU bashing. They handslap in a elitist pompous way.

Then they do an oh-so-subtle hairflip and go back to the demo boards and say something like "It is so nice to be where we are supported and not over there with all THOSE people"

Like I said, nobody has the power to change how I feel about anything but I do see that those types of posters are the ones most are referring to as keeping the debate raging.
it would definitely be different if the demo board weren't a secret society type board - I think truthfully that is another thing that grates me. If I have an issue with someone I will tell them. I don't tend to go and talk behind their back and for any demo to mention threads over here in any negative light is the equivalent of talking behind the regularly SCS user's back. That's not very nice and should be discouraged on the demo board. Again IMHO Take it off site if you feel you must talk about people. Its not like a personality clash on SCS is relevant to any demo doing their job.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #293
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Concessionaire: Do you want butter?
Elaine Benes: Is it real butter?
Concessionaire: It's butter flavored!
Elaine Benes: But what is it made of?
Concessionaire: It's yellow!
Yeah, basically! Dude that stuff was scary!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #294
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
it would definitely be different if the demo board weren't a secret society type board - I think truthfully that is another thing that grates me. If I have an issue with someone I will tell them. I don't tend to go and talk behind their back and for any demo to mention threads over here in any negative light is the equivalent of talking behind the regularly SCS user's back. That's not very nice and should be discouraged on the demo board. Again IMHO Take it off site if you feel you must talk about people. Its not like a personality clash on SCS is relevant to any demo doing their job.
I don't want to feed this fire, but I want to tell you as a frequent poster on "the other side", there are no threads that talk about threads like this on the General side. We are all trying to run a business and it's business talk. If you look at what the title of the demo side is, it says "Growing Your Business".

Here's an idea of what's on the first page.
Did your customers receive their mini's yet?
What happens if I go into pending?
I want to do an open house, how do I do that?
Who wants to earn the incentive trip this year?

I love that we can all share opinions here and don't think that demos want to get rid of other companies or feel like we own the boards. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Okay, now back to that popcorn!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #295
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin_heather View Post
I don't want to feed this fire, but I want to tell you as a frequent poster on "the other side", there are no threads that talk about threads like this on the General side. We are all trying to run a business and it's business talk. If you look at what the title of the demo side is, it says "Growing Your Business".

I love that we can all share opinions here and don't think that demos want to get rid of other companies or feel like we own the boards. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I am glad to hear that things have changed. Two years ago I was a SU hobby demo and had access to the SU demo side. On the SU demo side, the SU demos used to encourage each other to attack any general thread that was not 100% support of SU. So I can understand RiverIsis' comment and hope that things have changed.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #296
Crimping Master

On the topic, I don't think anything happened to SU. I think that they are growing and expanding in great ways. I love that they came out with the Big Shot and Big Shot accessories. I love the new punch design and that you can get a punch through celebration. I think that like any company they have occasional growing pains, but coming out with UM stamps shows that they are very aware of their market.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #297
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I agree Heather,

As a poster on the Demo side I have never seen a thread like that, but I have seen individual posts like that in various threads. Generally from the same few posters who always like to handslap.

As an SU demo, I love their product and am glad that SCS is so supportive to demos but I also think that no company is infallible and that if SU is doing something people are not happy about it should be able to be discussed freely here without the poster being labeled by the Sunshine and Rainbows Brigade as a basher or negative nelly.

SU should know when they have dissatisfied customers how else would they know where they can improve.

If SU wants to have an online community it must take the good with the bad.

There is a thread about a company on here right now that is taking a lot of heat for poor service, nobody is getting defensive about that.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #298
Stazon Splitcoast

Default SU

I enjoy different things about all of the companies and am kind of surprised I stuck with this thread to the end- but I had to throw in my 2 cents- what about kettle corn??? I do not like popcorn with Theater Butter........

Shelly
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #299
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Quote:

Did they suddenly stop??? Gee when i was still a demo 3 months ago on the demo boards there WERE POSTS "go look at this thread in General stamping"
Go post on this thread - this SCSer said that!!
SO YES THERE are and they did not suddenly stop.
There was also the "lets take back the boards thread
And there are many demos and ex-demos that will back this one up.
one demo would see it and run over to be the first to post and tell of the other demos to go check it out.

What really burns me - is that an SU demo can post whatever she feels like nasty comments and so on and send some nasty PMS - but then there is a poster that shared her opinion and she got a 3 day ban from SCS.
Thing is here posts were not that bad and definitely no worse than any other SCSers posting their opinions.
Same thing happened to 2 other SCSers on a different thread a short time ago when they spoke up about their opinions.
HHMM maybe because she is NOT a demo and spoke up against the cheerleaders.
This is so old. And yes I read this thread along with every other one. So do not even comment - well then don't read it.
But I am also like several others - completely turned off from SU now.
Everytime I look at my catty it reminds me of things I want to live without dealing with and a few certain that I wish I never of.

So anyone cares to flame me and comment on this post - go ahead because I really don't care.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 12-30-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #300
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post
[b]What really burns me - is that an SU demo can post whatever she feels like nasty comments and so on and send some nasty PMS - but then there is a poster that shared her opinion and she got a 3 day ban from SCS.
I will agree from my Current Events viewpoint that it seems to me that banninations are not always applied evenly.

However. I don't blame anybody for that. The mods are volunteers, and don't see a lot, and if we don't report posts that are "rotten" then they can't do anything about it.

It's not a science, it's very subjective, might depend on who's around, etc.

So all I can advise is, if you see a post you don't like, report it. It might appear that nothing is done, but the mods will NOT share if the offending poster got a short vacation or a warning or nothing.

I don't see any point in throwing that into THIS fire, however.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #301
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
[B]

What really burns me - is that an SU demo can post whatever she feels like nasty comments and so on and send some nasty PMS - but then there is a poster that shared her opinion and she got a 3 day ban from SCS.
Thing is here posts were not that bad and definitely no worse than any other SCSers posting their opinions.
Same thing happened to 2 other SCSers on a different thread a short time ago when they spoke up about their opinions.
This is so old. And yes I read this thread along with every other one. So do not even comment - well then don't read it.
Everytime I look at my catty it reminds me of things I want to live without dealing with and a few certain that I wish I never of.

So anyone cares to flame me and comment on this post - go ahead because I really don't care.
No flames.

And I'm no longer a mod, so I don't have an inside information.

However, I do know that banning isn't done recklessly.
And if somebody is receiving PMs that are against the TOS, that are nasty, then those should be forwarded to the mods. They will look at it, and make a decision on what course of action to take.
But they don't know about PMs unless the recipient tells them.

And, of course, we never know what happens after we report a post, unless a moderator comes into the thread and posts.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #302
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
[B]

Did they suddenly stop??? Gee when i was still a demo 3 months ago on the demo boards there WERE POSTS "go look at this thread in General stamping"
one demo would see it and run over to be the first to post and tell of the other demos to go check it out.

Not flaming first off, just commenting. I have seen in the past a post or two to which you are referencing BUT I havn't seen anything like that in quite a while that I remember anyway and I visit the site many times most every day. So I think that kind of thing has died down a bit. Could have overlooked some because I tend to just ignore them but I really don't think I've seen any lately. It's pretty much just product chatter, pre-order stuff, and general questions. Again, not saying you didn't have a point, I've seen them too but they have seemed to kind of dissapear...off of the first two pages or so which are what I mainly look at anyway. In fact, I kind of thought there would be a thread about this thread but unless I missed it, I havn't hear a WORD about it on the demo forums. Maybe everyone's busy planning their V-day classes (like I should be instead of watching TV and internet surfing, haha).

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #303
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
[B]

I just pasted what was on the first page. There aren't any references to this thread or anything else negative. I'm sorry you had to leave, but if you haven't been on the demo side for 3 months, then you haven't seen what is there now.
No flaming here, just letting you know there's nothing covert on "the other side".

Enjoy your evenings. I'm off to put the kiddos in bed.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #304
Stampin' Fool

I will also ask people to remember that most of the SU "Cheerleading", both in posts in inappropriate threads on the general side. And the few "Wow, go read this" on the demo side are done by a handful of demos. That is a few out of the thousands on this site. So yes the rest of us tend to get a little defensive when we are told that we are just a bunch of mean, money hungry, hard sales pushy people. Meet my customers they will tell you that I am not, as I guess most other demos customers would.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #305
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness! I had no idea that there were threads on SCS like this. My experience has been the warm, fuzzy threads where everyone is so supportive and kind.

It has been very interesting to read all of the posts, though. I think what it really comes down to is that a person's art and creativity is SOOOO personal and individual that it's easy to "share" our opinions about products that we love. We all have our favorite ink, cardstock, and designer paper and we want everyone else to love it as much as we do. Some are more aggressive in their excitement and in the process have apparently offended others.

There are a lot of strong opinions out there about loving SU and not-so-loving SU. I'm kind of in the middle right now - just being disappointed and recently no longer a demo.

Sad that we can't all just share our love of papercrafting and tools and products and stamps and cutting systems and....and.....!

Ok, I guess I've been rambling! Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #306
Matboard Maniac

OH dear looks like i shall have to export and send some Duck wine to cool things down a little i dont think the troll ate the right thing , instead of a sweet chocolate chip a bitter taste of More Mustard topped with some really rust and crushed curry. now thats quite a mouthful. yuck. As for the moderators they have been informed a least 6 times in pm sent 2 emails but they obviosly feel this thread is so relavant so just like the troll it goes on and on and on maybe eventually somone might find Bermuda Bay and then the SU lot can wind down a little to some pink passion and some summer sun topped with the perfect plum.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 AM   #307
Kookie Creator

Post what no butter sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Concessionaire: Do you want butter?
Elaine Benes: Is it real butter?
Concessionaire: It's butter flavored!
Elaine Benes: But what is it made of?
Concessionaire: It's yellow!

Betty talking now.
We can not use butter or butter sub since we don't get enough request for it. It would just go to waste. I think I have had 2 request in the 9 years I worked there. That is not to say if butter were offered some would askfor it.

+++The last week has been bad with people's request and than yelling at us when we can't do.

I WILL NEVER TRY TO MAKE ANOTHER SHAKE THAT IS HALF VANILLA AND HALF CHOCOLATE. You will have an all vanilla or all chocolate shake. No, I will not make half a vanilla in one glass and half a chocolate shake in another glass. My boss loses money. Now there is twice the work, 2 glass and other people waiting to get taken care and more dishes to wash which means more dishsoap and water and time. Most people have a 30 min lunch brake and do not want to wait.

etc.

Betty

P s We make our shakes/malts from scratch, remove frozen custard from pail, add milk and flavoring, and blend;
We try to make any flavor you ask for if it goes threw a straw and we have the makings in the place.
b

Last edited by Betty_S_K; 12-31-2009 at 07:28 AM..
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #308
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew overton View Post
OH dear looks like i shall have to export and send some Duck wine to cool things down a little i dont think the troll ate the right thing , instead of a sweet chocolate chip a bitter taste of More Mustard topped with some really rust and crushed curry. now thats quite a mouthful. yuck. As for the moderators they have been informed a least 6 times in pm sent 2 emails but they obviosly feel this thread is so relavant so just like the troll it goes on and on and on maybe eventually somone might find Bermuda Bay and then the SU lot can wind down a little to some pink passion and some summer sun topped with the perfect plum.
LOL, Andrew...you been sippin' some of that wine already?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #309
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post
LOL, Andrew...you been sippin' some of that wine already?
I hope he is having something a bit stronger!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:48 PM   #310
Stazon Splitcoast

That's right, it must be closer to the new year where he is, right? OK, I hope I didn't just embarrass myself with my lack of geographical knowledge...England is ahead of us timewise, right?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #311
Kookie Creator

Wink yes

England is about 6 hours head of central time.

Betty
Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #312
Matboard Maniac

HAPPY NEW YEAR UK is 5 hours to 8 hours in front of most parts of America the black coffee is here and the matchstalks to prop those eyes open must get to bed soon so no more 2009 and welcome 2010. Hooray.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #313
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy new year, Andrew!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #314
Stazon Splitcoast

i love these back to the future moments!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #315
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew overton View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR UK is 5 hours to 8 hours in front of most parts of America .
Yeh and about 10 years behind
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #316
Kookie Creator

Talking happy

Happy new year to all

Betty
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #317
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

First of all, Happy New 2010 to everyone!

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this discussion. However, we sincerely feel that this thread has served it's purpose and it will now be closed.
Closed Thread