Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #121
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
This is insane. If you like SU and want to go to workshops, go. If you don't like them, don't go. It's that simple. I don't get all the bashing. If you're being forced to buy SU stuff or go to SU events then I could see complaining but no one is forcing anyone.
No one ever said anyone was being forced to go to workshops. As far as "bashing"... since when are we not allowed to state our feelings? This is not a SU board.

I am actually surprised that SU does not offer their own board on their website for Demos and those people that use their products.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #122
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura6 View Post
for what its worth, items that are cheaper at Mike's (in my case) are worthless if I don't know what to do with them. No one at Mike's ever even knows what I am talking about ('I don't work in that department' is a usual response.... so I wonder, how do you not know where the stamps are? Just point me to an area of the store LOL). I feel like the extra money I might pay is well worth it for the crafting wisdom I can get from an SU demo.... or any demo for that matter.
Price-wise, I find the best deals online, usually here or on eBay, not at Michael's (even with a coupon)
So I guess people should buy these items from SU only, huh? *laughing*
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #123
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Sheesh, you make it sound like there are all these demos touting a product they don't actually believe in. As I see it, the "defending" of which you speak comes from enduring months (if not a year or two at least) of negative posts about how awful/incompetent/uncaring/greedy/oppressive/clueless Stampin' Up! is. They don't all come at once, more like in waves, and usually coinciding with some change or new offering from the company that people don't like. There are some demos out there feeling pretty beaten down from all the cattiness and snide comments about SU! being a "beginner's" company and inferring that "real" or "experienced" stampers aren't SUO in their crafting and those who choose to be are somehow stifled in their creativity. Maybe those folks who posted all those comments need to take a step back and understand how we SU! demos feel about that. At least we can finally have a reprieve from the "SU! is stupid because they don't sell unmounted" discussions that seemed to develop in just about every wish list thread.
Oh brother! All the drama about how bad the Demos are treated here! SU has a FREE demo Forum and their own gallery, while the MEMBER COMPANIES have to pay for their space.

No one on this thread said SU was for beginners only but many stampers have started at a Demo-based company... and I have not seen any stifling of creativity because someone chooses to use SU. There are some gorgeous cards in the gallery using SU products.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 12-23-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #124
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Sheesh, you make it sound like there are all these demos touting a product they don't actually believe in. As I see it, the "defending" of which you speak comes from enduring months (if not a year or two at least) of negative posts about how awful/incompetent/uncaring/greedy/oppressive/clueless Stampin' Up! is. They don't all come at once, more like in waves, and usually coinciding with some change or new offering from the company that people don't like. There are some demos out there feeling pretty beaten down from all the cattiness and snide comments about SU! being a "beginner's" company and inferring that "real" or "experienced" stampers aren't SUO in their crafting and those who choose to be are somehow stifled in their creativity. Maybe those folks who posted all those comments need to take a step back and understand how we SU! demos feel about that. At least we can finally have a reprieve from the "SU! is stupid because they don't sell unmounted" discussions that seemed to develop in just about every wish list thread.

Truthfully, Rachel, and others here, I felt very reluctant to post anything negative about SU because I regard you and many others as buddies , via CE.

I go once a month to my SU demo's for a card making night, and I buy SU as well as from other companies, but truthfully, there is always a lot of defensiveness from SU demo's when anyone says something negative about SU. I really love my own SU demo!

That said, overall I like lots about SU! Just wanted to point out that other companies get criticized on SCS and usually there is not such defensiveness.

I agree , it comes in waves. I just felt badly for those wanting to state their opinion and thought that the SU demo's came on awfully strong.

Sorry if I have offended you, Rachel, I think well of you and Wrose, and V and virtually any SU Demo! Not a personal criticism at all. I apologize for that! My intent was to let others have their SU vent without to much fear! Merry Christmas!

I don't think anyone who is an SU demo is stupid,greedy, etc. Not all. Just that people have varying opinions!

Last edited by debzi333; 12-23-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Old 12-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #125
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

It might simply be a matter of numbers. SCS draws WAY more SU demos than anyone else.

So even if a ton of people (like me) shrug their shoulders, there are always going to be new demos, new to SU! and new to SCS, who feel like they should jump in.

I mean, relative to the other companies, this could be it, right?? And so of course it looks like SU! demos are very defensive - but it could be different ones every time just by the sheer volume!

Or maybe I'm just up too late.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #126
Full of Malarky

That makes sense , Wrose.

Maybe I'm just crabby as my wrist still hurts like crazy! Got it out of the cast Dec 7th... but minimal range of motion so far, need to gain strength in it yet. Physiotherapy for 2-3 months, twice a week! Dec 24 even!

Drat! It's so long since I've been able to make a card, I'm going squirrelly.

off to bed! Merry Christmas.. and by the way -love the New Sale a bration Catty!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #127
Full of Malarky

Ohhh love the new SU! around the corner punches too!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #128
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

I've been a demo for almost 4 years--I just have one small stamp camp group that doesn't buy from me, but the class fees help pay my quarterly minimums.

I really hesitated about signing the new IDA because for my personal stamping, I do use both SU and occasionally other products, I have good friends who've worked on design teams for other companies, and while I started stamping through a good friend who became an SU demo, and I while I love SU's products, I've grown to love stamping as a craft, and I've enjoyed exploring 'outside the box' as well. I did understand that evidently enough people were abusing the loopholes in the old IDA to cause the company concern, but I didn't appreciate the first round of communications that came across as pretty harsh, and seemed to put anyone who might have posted a non-SU-only card on a blog for their friends in the same category as people who were blatantly flat-out marketing other products on a blog or web site.

I did VERY much appreciate, though, that SU seemed to listen to a lot of the objections and took time to clarify their policy and speak more gently. I also appreciate that if I want the benefits of representing their product, it's fair of them to ask me not to talk up competitors' offerings. I never did this in my camps or workshops anyway, so that wasn't a problem for me, but I can see how unfortunately, the folks who abused the loophole on a major level made it necessary to clarify the policy and apply it consistently for everybody.

When I did have a group that did workshops and bought from me, if someone mentioned that they could get something cheaper at Michaels with a coupon, I'd just smile and say, 'well, if that leaves that much more in the budget for a stamp set you've been looking at, I can't argue with that!' and it usually worked--they frequently did wind up buying an extra set that night. I figured I couldn't chain them to a table and make them buy stuff for me, but if I could acknowledge it with a smile, and basically say, 'oh fun, now you can do even more with the same budget!' then I wasn't taking anything away from SU. And as Victoria said, I did let people know that if they did buy something elsewhere, it wouldn't come with the same help from their friendly demo.

The approach I took wasn't so much to try to sell the product as to show people what they could do with it, answer their questions, find out what they were trying to do in their own personal crafting work, and then show them what SU offered that really fit with what they enjoyed. I did keep a notebook and after a workshop I'd note that so-and-so liked X but didn't buy it, so I'd let them know if SU had a special on X, or maybe use X in a workshop down the road if several people commented on it. I figured seeing what you can do with what the company offers is a lot of fun, but a high-pressured sales pitch isn't. So for me the challenge was to call the hostess, find out what her friends enjoyed, and come up with projects or techniques that fit their interests.

So far as the new IDA goes, for me it's part of the creative challenge of being a demo, even if it's just for my one teeny group. I don't see it as a limit so much as 'hey, what can I come up with that fits with this group's style and interests, and highlights new products that might catch their eye?' --sort of like Iron Chef but with paper, ink and embellishments. I figure if I stay positive and have as much fun as I can with it, they seem to pick up on that enthusiasm.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #129
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Like someone else stated that their Demo asks them to bring basic items like bone folders and papercutters along with tape and scissors. I feel like it should be common sense to allow people to bring basic supplies that they are comfortable using. SU offers 1 papercutter (if I remember correctly) and it fiskars- well alot of people hate fiskars's and I know SU's version is the same thing.
I don't see why this would ever impede on a sale.. Unless you are completely new to papercrafts you are not looking for basic necessities, you are there to buy things like stamps, paper, ribbon, inks, punches,ect.. and if you are new to papercrafting you can use the Demo's items and then she/he can help you purchase the items from SU that are necessities to this hobby.
I don't like high-pressure sellers, they turn me off from the on-start. I purposely don't buy from them and find someone else to buy from. I wish others would also do the same, it would change sellers attitude and make classes more enjoyable. I found nothing enjoyable when a seller doesn't allow conversations about items, when SU doesn't even carry an equivalent item. Then the Demo immediately starts pushing products that the peeps where not even talking about, in order to change the conversation. This typical doesn't increase your sales that day, it hurts them.

JMO
Sheena[/QUOTE]

I havn't read all of these but I just wanted to clarify some things...this is how stuff gets blown out of proportion on these boards. People read too much into things or get false info...as far as I know there is no rule that you can't bring any non-SU! tools to a class as a customer. I could care less what adhesive, scissors, and bone folder you bring...I have things that I got before I became a demo (cropadile for example) and I don't feel that I have to get a new one anytime soon. Would I want my customers to buy snail from me, sure...but I don't even like it, I'm a dotto girl (which we sell too) BUT we all know people have preferences and that's fine. The IDA is REALLY WAY LESS restrictive than people are making it out to be. And really it's just common sense to NOT promote non-SU products when you are trying to SELL those products. You go to Old Navy (or other stores) right...those people are supposed to be dressed in clothes that you can get there. Why would they wear some jeans from the Limited so when you ask where they got those cool jeans they say the Limited....come on, that just makes NO business sense...it's a no brainer to me, anyone else?

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Old 12-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #130
Polyshrink Goddess

Default SU Downhill? NNahhhhh....

I use to be a SU demo many years ago and quit for personal reasons. I just got back into stamping in March of this year, and had open arms by my friends, which are demo's. I'm in 2 SU stamp clubs, go to many, many stamp classes that they both hold. SU must not be doing too bad if they are constantly coming out with new product, new lines, and now, to meet the demands of buyers, going to cling mounted stamps.

This is a business. Business are at the mercy of the economy. Right now, the economy stinks. BUT, with that being said, I know alot of stampers that would rather skip a meal or go hungry for a day just to buy stamps!!! HAHAHAH...

But seriously. I love SU product, and all that it offers. It has been in business for over 20 years, and I hope for another 20+ more to come. It changes with the times, and hopefully will continue to be in business for much longer!!! I think they've done a marvelous job, even during this tough economy.

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Old 12-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #131
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
OH and the OP reminds me of that guy that was posting a few weeks ago. Maybe it's the same guy.
That's what I thought!!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #132
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Oh, you said that perfectly!!! I'm not a demo...was a hobby demo for a short time. I've looked at all the other companies and have bought a few sets and have a few on my list, but I just love SU, have been with them for four years, etc. But I always get the same feeling that if you stay with SU you are "backwards" and not in the "cool" gang! I'm jut very loyal to my wonderful demo and I love so much of SU still.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
Truthfully, Rachel, and others here, I felt very reluctant to post anything negative about SU because I regard you and many others as buddies , via CE.

I go once a month to my SU demo's for a card making night, and I buy SU as well as from other companies, but truthfully, there is always a lot of defensiveness from SU demo's when anyone says something negative about SU. I really love my own SU demo!

That said, overall I like lots about SU! Just wanted to point out that other companies get criticized on SCS and usually there is not such defensiveness.

I agree , it comes in waves. I just felt badly for those wanting to state their opinion and thought that the SU demo's came on awfully strong.

Sorry if I have offended you, Rachel, I think well of you and Wrose, and V and virtually any SU Demo! Not a personal criticism at all. I apologize for that! My intent was to let others have their SU vent without to much fear! Merry Christmas!

I don't think anyone who is an SU demo is stupid,greedy, etc. Not all. Just that people have varying opinions!
Aww, you think of me as a buddy? That just gives me warm fuzzies. No worries, hon, you haven't done anything offensive that I can think of.

People can voice their disagreements with certain moves SU! has made, that's not what sticks in my craw. Heck, even I haven't been in lockstep with every single choice they've made. It's when somebody makes a comment, a few more join in, the fire gets fanned, personal jabs get tossed into the mix, and well you know how it goes after that. Usually I'm fairly easygoing and have a somewhat durable skin, but for some reason I'm feeling particularly touchy these days.

It's easy to pick on SU! what with them being such a big company with a well-established presence in the papercrafting market. Since most demos have invested quite a lot of themselves in representing SU! it's also easy to take things quite personally when someone does more than just make an offhand remark and says something personally disparaging Shelli, demonstrators in general or SU! as a whole. Let's face it, that's how we women (yes, I know there are male stampers but the overwhelming majority are female) are wired.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #134

I just have to note that this thread and others like it (not SU! bashing only but just cattiness and general negativity) is why I rarely visit the general forums anymore.

I want to be happy when I'm on SCS and get ideas, answer questions, have my questions answered, and make friends. I often end up getting upset or offended or raising my blood pressure when I come to the general side, and it's sad. I'd love to look over the forums...find cool ideas I hadn't seen, answer questions (just to be nice and/or helpful) and see what others are up to..heck a lot of you non-demos often help me with questions that I've had. BUT it puts a big damper on my day to see everyone arguing. There is also a lot of gossip...you get one little snippet of something that is happening (maybe not even first hand) and it snowballs. Then demos step in and try to clarify what is going on (say with the IDA for example...we can still use any non-competing product to alter...frames, cans, ornaments, yada yada yada, I hear a lot of talk about "oh you can't talk about picture frames or glass ornaments or all that stuff" which we can totally do...stuff like that) and then we get our heads bitten off...for just trying to explain things. It's sad.

And please don't quote me as being a snobby demo or anything like that (afterall I'm really just a hobby demo) BUT it really does bother me that when I come to the general forums there is no much negativity (again, NOT only just against SU...there are a lot of snotty responses in a lot of forums...and not that it doesn't happen in the demo side but it seems to be a little more polite and supportive over there). I want to be happy when I'm on SCS, the rest of my life sucks enough at times...stamping and all things realted should be fun! I just wish people could be nicer and maybe have a little tact and think before they "speak" sometimes. If I wanted to be yelled at or have a debate I'll go to the current events forum

Check out my blog

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #135
neglecting the kids and housework

Good morning
Personally my issue is SO not with people bashing SU as a company or their product. I do plenty of it in my own head. There are a lot of things that occur that I don't like but I am not bound to remain a demo and I am after all self employed. The thing that eats at me and gets me going is the "demos are pushy, demos are dishonest" we aren't, some may be and those people are probably dishonest in everything they do. So I feel like a lot of the demos come to the rescue not of Shelli (BTW I totally agree about the hairstyle, not a fan) or SU but of the individual people who are working on their business for profit and growth.
So that's what I have to say, in a convoluted precoffee way. I truly hope that those of you who enjoy the SU experience continue and those of you who might need a new avenue find that too. Merry Christmas, and if you see me here again remind me that I have loads of chores to do before tomorrow's festivities LOL
Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #136
Stazon Splitcoast

Aren't we glad that there are so many stamp companies out there? We can ALL pick and choose which companies we want to buy from. If we want to purchase from a demo-based and enjoy the many perks that our demo offers - well that's great for us. Or, we could purchase other companies who don't have demo-based salespeople - that's our choice.

I know that because we all have our individual opinions on each and every stamp company that sells stamps, I just personally think it's great that the variety of stamp companies is available for us to choose from.

Would those who are feeling less than flattering to SU be buying from SU if it was the 'only game in town'? Or, would they just not be stamping. I think competition is the best thing there is because it keeps all the stamp companies selling. If there was only one company, we'd have to buy their product if we wanted to continue stamping. Can you imagine how little the stamp images would change from season to season with only one company.

Variety is the spice of life. Aren't we glad we have so many 'spices' to choose from to spiff up out lives.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #137
Polyshrink Goddess

Unlike others, I don't see this discussion as an argument, and don't really understand getting all worked up over a little discussion. I am Italian, maybe that is the difference- when we speak- we speak with passion good or bad. We like to hear other peoples opinion and don't allow ourselves to get all worked up.

To people that do, if you are a SU Demo and want only positive SU talk stay in your elite message board. I am not a SU Hater, the paper is great, if you like matchy-matchy then that's great for you. The stamps are good quality even if you don't care for the images right now.

Almost everything SU sells (except stamps) are made by other companies and can be purchased at a lower cost at a large crafting store. I believe in free speech and think that when I am at a SU stamp class, I should be allowed to talk about products other companies sell that SU doesn't already market or sell similar. Every Demo is different, some allow people to bring basic tools while other supply everything, some allow open talk while others don't. Some are too pushy to sell, others don't push and make better sells because of that. Every Demo is different.

To the person that made a comment about the ADA and if I became a Demo I should be ethical- I already said before I make my decision, I would be reading the New ADA and make a decision on my morals. I don't lie, cheat nor steal. I would never take advantage of a new stamper but making them believe SU makes the best everything, when the truth is SU markets alot of the same products at a higher price point. See in my area of the country, people prefer honesty, I will sell more if I am honest, because if I tell a beginner you can get this cheaper elsewhere (not saying a store-name) then you have more money for SU exclusive and high quality stamps and paper. I would want people (like I already do)to bring the basic tools they are comfortable with, if they are new they can use mine and I can help them make a list of must-have tools.

I love stamping and Card-Making, been at this for over 5 years now, I will admit I am glad to have found this hobby partly on my own because if I had became a stamper because of a SU class, I would have to much on tools and had less left for the fun stuff like stamps and paper. Like I stated in the beginning of this discussion I have no SU demo for about 45+ miles of me, I have no one standing over me- telling their way is the right way! I will find my own way to run my business without impeding on the ADA contract. I also have a problem with Demos making comments like bone folder and Scor-Pal being the equivalent product.. She really could not have believed in what she was typing, I hope not at least.

I do love SU's products, well most of them, and still plan on becoming a Demo in the next year (2010). They have great quality of products, but the superior attitude I see so much on here, makes me wonder if going down the road of DT of one of the other companies I love so much might just be the right route for me. Only time will tell. I am not a newbie at this, also not as experience as alot of others..I also believe sometimes that SU can be for beginners and the less experienced since they can buy almost everything needed thru SU and I find so many SU Demos have never ventured out into the real world of stamping which is a shame. I am not bashing SU, I can't- Love the quality of alot of products they carry .. I also totally respect my SU Demo she is "real" and respects SU but also other companies. She is not an Elitist like so many others.

Sheena
Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #138
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=Sheena74;15763119]Unlike others, I don't see this discussion as an argument, and don't really understand getting all worked up over a little discussion.

=====================

I haven't understood either. And I'm not Italian. Any company WANTS to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly so they can continue to improve.

I too, like their cardstock and envies, and the "matchy-matchy." Their stamps are all the same and they don't kick out any "newness."

SAB is REALLY THE SAME that we all have. No purchases stimulated from me over that.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #139
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena74 View Post
Unlike others, I don't see this discussion as an argument, and don't really understand getting all worked up over a little discussion. I am Italian, maybe that is the difference- when we speak- we speak with passion good or bad. We like to hear other peoples opinion and don't allow ourselves to get all worked up.
I don't get it either. *shrug*
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #140
Stazon Splitcoast

I think part of the problem in this thread is the same problem that sometimes happens in CE when people get upset. There's an awful lot of generalizations taking place here. Yes, I'm sure there are pushy demos that have turned a few people off, but I'd venture to guess that the majority of SU demos are not. And as far as the new IDA agreement, perhaps SU went too far, but what business out there pleases everyone all the time? I also think that perhaps it's going a little too far to call SU demos "cheerleaders" in the derogatory manner that's being used. If these women are representing SU of course they are going to defend the company, I would expect that.

On the flip side, as a customer I would like to have the choice to voice my disappointment or express what I would like to see SU offer that they are not. I've always participated on the "I wish SU would..." threads because I've noticed that sometimes the changes we want do happen. I do feel that sometimes people do get jumped on in those types of threads, but then again, not every post in those threads is expressed in a polite manner either.

Now as far as the OP is concerned, SU has definitely gone a direction that has caused me to expand to other companies, but I still order from them. I do scrapbooking as well as card making, and I just don't feel that what they offer for scrapbooking is my style. But that's the direction they decided to take, and I don't think they're a bad company for going another way.

And I have to also say, that I'm glad my demo is like Jane. I bought some things at Michael's with a coupon, and she said one time that's more money for stamps which is exactly how it worked out.

Sorry about the book I just wrote, thank you if you're still reading this post.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 12-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #141

Quote:

To people that do, if you are a SU Demo and want only positive SU talk stay in your elite message board. I am not a SU Hater, the paper is great, if you like matchy-matchy then that's great for you. The stamps are good quality even if you don't care for the images right now.

Almost everything SU sells (except stamps) are made by other companies and can be purchased at a lower cost at a large crafting store. I believe in free speech and think that when I am at a SU stamp class, I should be allowed to talk about products other companies sell that SU doesn't already market or sell similar. Every Demo is different, some allow people to bring basic tools while other supply everything, some allow open talk while others don't. Some are too pushy to sell, others don't push and make better sells because of that. Every Demo is different.

To the person that made a comment about the ADA and if I became a Demo I should be ethical- I already said before I make my decision, I would be reading the New ADA and make a decision on my morals. I don't lie, cheat nor steal. I would never take advantage of a new stamper but making them believe SU makes the best everything, when the truth is SU markets alot of the same products at a higher price point. See in my area of the country, people prefer honesty, I will sell more if I am honest, because if I tell a beginner you can get this cheaper elsewhere (not saying a store-name) then you have more money for SU exclusive and high quality stamps and paper. I would want people (like I already do)to bring the basic tools they are comfortable with, if they are new they can use mine and I can help them make a list of must-have tools.

I love stamping and Card-Making, been at this for over 5 years now, I will admit I am glad to have found this hobby partly on my own because if I had became a stamper because of a SU class, I would have to much on tools and had less left for the fun stuff like stamps and paper. Like I stated in the beginning of this discussion I have no SU demo for about 45+ miles of me, I have no one standing over me- telling their way is the right way! I will find my own way to run my business without impeding on the ADA contract. I also have a problem with Demos making comments like bone folder and Scor-Pal being the equivalent product.. She really could not have believed in what she was typing, I hope not at least.

I do love SU's products, well most of them, and still plan on becoming a Demo in the next year (2010). They have great quality of products, but the superior attitude I see so much on here, makes me wonder if going down the road of DT of one of the other companies I love so much might just be the right route for me. Only time will tell. I am not a newbie at this, also not as experience as alot of others..I also believe sometimes that SU can be for beginners and the less experienced since they can buy almost everything needed thru SU and I find so many SU Demos have never ventured out into the real world of stamping which is a shame. I am not bashing SU, I can't- Love the quality of alot of products they carry .. I also totally respect my SU Demo she is "real" and respects SU but also other companies. She is not an Elitist like so many others.

Sheena
Ok people this is KILLING me, hehe. THere have been a lot of posts with this not just yours Sheena (so don't take offense) It's the IDA as in Independent Demonstrator Agreement NOT ADA which is Americans With Disabilities Act, LOL, definitely not the same. Sorry...I just had to say something, it's been making my chuckle all day...which I probably need with all the crazy Christmas shoppers out and about when I run my errands today Merry Christmas....IDA and all, tee hee hee!

Check out my blog

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #142
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't get people who are upset with SU Demos pushing only products they sell. If I go into a store I don't expect them to notify me if I can find a better, similar, or cheaper product elsewhere. Also I don't feel cheated by the salesperson if they sold me something I later found cheaper somewhere else. As for the "High pressure sales" I agree that can be annoying. However, I had the opposite problem as a newbie stamper back in June. I decided I was going to make my dad a card for fathers day and had no clue where to start. I knew nothing about stamping and had zero supplies. I went to a small stamping store and explained to the salesperson what I wanted to do. It was like pulling teeth trying to get help on getting what I needed. I had to explain several times that I was clueless about this and needed basic supplies. I arrived home with 2 stamps, two pieces of cardstock, a black inkpad, scor-it board, and stamp cleaner. When I started on my card I realized I had no scissors, or adhesive and no way to color my image. I thought it was weird that the salesperson would not offer these things or even make lots of recommendations considering I stated several times I had NOTHING and she had the potential for making a big sale. I wish I had heard of SU at that time.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #143
Matboard Maniac

I got started stamping with SU products and enjoyed them and still do. I love the paper and the matching aspect of their products. I find I no longer buy their stamps because they are just a little too cutsie sometimes and also are very similar to many sets that I already have. I will continue to be a loyal SU customer for my paper needs. I love their DP. And I already have all of my inks. I feel bad for my demo though because she is struggling because most of her customers have been buying for a while and no longer are interested in the stamps that are offered. We're just basically keeping our paper supply stocked. So she has trouble making her minimums.
My one problem with SU is the fact that their shipping still seems awfully high to me. I was going to order $15 inproduct (those little cups that you can put candy in and some envelopes to use with them). Well, when I added in the minimum shipping and tax, it came to almost $30 for a $15 order. Needless to say, I didn't order it. and the problem is that the more you order, the more you pay for shipping. I wish SU would offer a break on the shipping if you are ordering over a certain amount. It's almost like being penalized for ordering more stuff. Last year on one order I paid almost $60 on shipping and I know the UPS charges were less than half of what I was charged! I like the companies that will ship USPS priority mail and will also offer free shipping on larger orders. I've been starting to get my paper from PTI because of the free shipping.
I would never bash SU because I feel they do offer some wonderful products, especially for beginning stampers. I find that I haven't purchased a lot of the SU Sizzix line because I can get such a big variety of Sizzix products with coupons at the big box stores and also not have to pay the shipping. So, it's a double savings for me. The SU exclusive dies just haven't been something I've felt I need.
SU is a wonderful company and I have a fantastic demo but I think that my taste has changed in the types of stamps I want to spend my money on. SU stamps are beautiful but most of the new ones are very similar to what I already have. I agree that the Saleabration stamps sets are very similar to old sets. Not interested and not being motivated to buy more to get them.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #144
Rubber Obsessor

MrTellAll...some people have to much time on their hands if they are looking up your account to see how long you've been on this site.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #145

Um yeah we don't have to look, it's right there by your picture. Embossing Fanatic

Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #146

but yeah I do have a lot of free time LOL
Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #147
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnistew View Post
They are the same as you posted... only my Demos call them Marathons. They used to provide snacks/a light lunch but now are only offering to buy a soda. If you want to eat anything you have to get there before the stamping starts and get your own food. Unfortunately, these Marathons run right through lunch (11-3). While it is not the Demo's job to make sure everyone is fed it is always nice to have a small snack (ie crackers and cheese or something) to get you through the Marathon.
So let me get this straight. You want your demo to buy you a meal, drinks, etc. You want her to direct to places to buy things cheaper. You want her to provide you with projects including all the supplies, etc. Now why would she want to do this? Just for the pleasure of your lovely company? Sorry, but customers like you who obviously have no appreciation for the expense and time that demos put into creating a fun-filled afternoon for you are the reason I don't do any customer events any longer. Do you realize that your demo pays for all the supplies (getting a small discount) and all the food is out of her pocket. And do your realize the amount of time it takes to design projects, cut the cutstock, prepare stations, etc? Do you realize the abuse a demo's personal supplies (stamps, ink pads, punches) take from customers? And then to have to hear the attitude of some that she doesn't even feed them! She will only buy them a drink! Wow!

So glad I no longer put the time and effort into selling to customers (only myself). Luckily, some (but fewer and fewer these days) customers have a small clue and appreciate what a demo provides them at least a little bit! I once had a customer come over to have me help her design her Christmas card. I spent 2 hours with her and then she headed off to JoAnns to get her supplies (OK, so maybe my mistake to think she was going to buy the supplies from me). Would anyone at JoAnns have spent even 2 minutes helping her find which aisle they kept a certain item in let alone help her design her card? I know they would not.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #148
Watercolor Wizard

I love Stamping Up, it is what got me starting into stamping, and I love the idea of them going unmounted, Shelli is trying to stay with the times, it is a business and a business has to make money to survive. I love you Shelli and think you are doing great things. Merry Christmas and a fabulous New Year.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #149
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
So let me get this straight. You want your demo to buy you a meal, drinks, etc. You want her to direct to places to buy things cheaper. You want her to provide you with projects including all the supplies, etc. Now why would she want to do this? Just for the pleasure of your lovely company? Sorry, but customers like you who obviously have no appreciation for the expense and time that demos put into creating a fun-filled afternoon for you are the reason I don't do any customer events any longer. Do you realize that your demo pays for all the supplies (getting a small discount) and all the food is out of her pocket. And do your realize the amount of time it takes to design projects, cut the cutstock, prepare stations, etc? Do you realize the abuse a demo's personal supplies (stamps, ink pads, punches) take from customers? And then to have to hear the attitude of some that she doesn't even feed them! She will only buy them a drink! Wow!

So glad I no longer put the time and effort into selling to customers (only myself). Luckily, some (but fewer and fewer these days) customers have a small clue and appreciate what a demo provides them at least a little bit! I once had a customer come over to have me help her design her Christmas card. I spent 2 hours with her and then she headed off to JoAnns to get her supplies (OK, so maybe my mistake to think she was going to buy the supplies from me). Would anyone at JoAnns have spent even 2 minutes helping her find which aisle they kept a certain item in let alone help her design her card? I know they would not.
Wow... so much snarkiness.

First, I never said it was the Demo's duty to feed anyone... maybe you didn't finish reading my whole paragraph. EVERY Marathon I have ever been to (both SU and non-SU) have provided a snack when it runs through the lunch hour. Seriously, how much can a box of crackers and some cheese cost for 8-10 people?

No, I do not expect a Demo to send me someplace to buy things cheaper... I said to me it was "less-than-honest". I find it funny that you are all upset because someone went elsewhere to buy their stuff... if it is okay for a demo not to advertise less expensive products to their customers (which is entirely their business) then why is it not okay for the customers to seek out what they want from a B&M store? Sounds to me like the customer wanted the best deal she could get.

As for the damage the Demo's tools are subject to... again, wear and tear is part of the job. If a customer is damaging your stuff then why are you continuing to invite them?

As far as the time it takes to "design projects, cut the cutstock, prepare stations, etc"... well that is part of the job of a Demo. As for designing projects... that is part of the job too so if it is too much for you then quit holding marathons.

It is probably good you aren't doing events any longer... sounds like your people skills need some work.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 12-24-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #150
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
No, I do not expect a Demo to send me someplace to buy things cheaper... I said to me it was "less-than-honest". I find it funny that you are all upset because someone went elsewhere to buy their stuff... if it is okay for a demo not to advertise less expensive products to their customers (which is entirely their business) then why is it not okay for the customers to seek out what they want from a B&M store? Sounds to me like the customer wanted the best deal she could get.
I'd feel taken advantage of if someone knew I was a Stampin' Up! demo, approached me for a design consultation, let me spend two hours of my time working with her (presumably using SU! supplies since that's what I have on hand), and then went somewhere else to buy everything. If I don't plan to give a salesperson my business, I wouldn't get into a situation where I'm essentially leading them on in hopes of a sale and then ultimately "wasting" their time.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #151
Mad Swapper

Quote:

First, I never said it was the Demo's duty to feed anyone... maybe you didn't finish reading my whole paragraph. EVERY Marathon I have ever been to (both SU and non-SU) have provided a snack when it runs through the lunch hour. Seriously, how much can a box of crackers and some cheese cost for 8-10 people?

As for the damage the Demo's tools are subject to... again, wear and tear is part of the job. If a customer is damaging your stuff then why are you continuing to invite them?

As far as the time it takes to "design projects, cut the cutstock, prepare stations, etc"... well that is part of the job of a Demo. As for designing projects... that is part of the job too so if it is too much for you then quit holding marathons.

It is probably good you aren't doing events any longer... sounds like your people skills need some work.

So basically all that you list is part of the job for a demo (design, cut, provide supplies, replace abused or broken items, and throw in a box of crackers and cheese and soda)? You do realize we DON'T get paid a wage. We only get a 20% commission on what is sold. So keep in mind these 2 demos whose Marathons you attend probably spend countless hours designing projects and preparing supplies, then a couple hours setting up and cleaning up after, and 4 hours at the event itself. Then they probably spend a good amount of money on supplies and then there is the wear and tear component on supplies that need replacing eventually. Then don't forget demos pay for those catalogs and the mini catalogs too (in case you don't realize it costs them 75 cents each to mail out to you, not a huge amount but sending them to 100 customers is $75 every couple months). And the list goes on and on. So if you feel it is morally OK to allow them to spend their time and money on you (and the others who you have saved from spending way too much buying supplies from your demos because they can get them elsewhere for less), then that is your perogative. I will also say though that many customers know they can get a better "deal" using a coupon at a B&M store, HOWEVER, they like the convenience their demo provides them and being shown how to use it. AND some of them even think it might be not so morally right to "use" their demo to help them design a project but to turn around and buy the supplies elsewhere.

And although I love designing projects and spending time with customers, if I am getting the equivalent of little more than 50 cents an hour after all is said and done (after expenses and food was always one of my big expenses and often resulted in negative profit) to do that, I would rather spend that time with my family and friends. If I spend 2 hours helping someone with their project so they can buy all the supplies elsewhere, I get paid nothing.

Michaels and JoAnns charge BIG fees for their classes (and their instructors get paid an hourly wage and don't have to provide supplies or food for the students). The students have to buy all the supplies for the class from Michaels before the class. So why would I want to provide that service to someone so that person can save the fee of their classes but can buy their supplies there? So the customer can get the best deal at my expense?

So be it if you can't get the concept. BTW, my people skills are just fine! I just choose to no longer hold events in my home (even though customers were asking for me to continue them) since it is not worth the time and expense (also keep in mind - insurance premiums that one needs to pay to have a rider for people in their home for business purposes).

I have, however, found the best alternative that allows me to keep gathering with those who love to create and who appreciate and understand all that goes into it. I hold a gathering for other demos monthly at my house (none of us from the same upline group, just local demos who like to stamp and share ideas). Works fine for me - stamp, swap, create, have fun and appreciate the creations and efforts of others.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #152
Polyshrink Goddess

I will agree that someone wasting 2 hours of your time helping her design X-Mas cards then going elsewhere for supplies is rude. Did she purchase anything from you? That would make a difference.. Also was this person a "friend"? maybe she thought you were helping her as a friend and not as a Demo, maybe?? I know I have had several people have me "help" them with coming up with Birthday invites and X-Mas cards and a baby shower. I also gave them stuff (paper- CS & DD) I had to help them with those projects- and when I say "help" them, it was me coming up with several designs till they found 1 they liked, then cutting all the paper to the correct size and assisting them in completing those projects. My friends expected me to help them as a friend because I had the experience. If I was a Demo- I know without a doubt they would not have made a purchase from me, again because I was a friend helping a friend. I am very curious if you were helping a friend with her X-Mas card or was this virtually a stranger you helped? That would make a huge difference in how I view this situation.

Sheena

As for ADA verses the corect IDA, my bad.. not paying enough attention ...oops..

And nope I have nothing better to do right now, and if you were reading and responding to this post- safe to assume you didn't either . I won't be busy till the little guy does to bed - then it is time to put together Santa's gifts for tomorrow morning...and get all the presents out under the tree and get everything ready for X-Mas morning for my Little Man!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #153

Quote:

I don't think the poster was attacking you, I think she just wanted to make her point. I find a lot on here that people don't really realize the cost/time it takes to put an event together. Heck, when I started using SU! and was just a customer I had NOOOOO idea and didn't really until I became a demo (and one reason I took so long to do it is because I'm an only child and dont like to share my stuff, hahaha). Seriously though even though they are the "tools of our trade" having camps and what not does take a real toll on our supplies...which we have to buy. We do get a small discount but still...some people don't play nice with others things (and I appreciate all of you who do!). I was shocked at the state of my things after my first class Wear and tear is one thing but the stuff can really get abused. In my opinion there should be no reason why anything would NEED to be replaced after a class but things tend to get ruined from time to time. We have to eat that cost. That's no fun!

Some people seem to take advantage too. I did a Halloween event and had scraps out to stamp on and punch for a peppermint patty...well Punchy Patty and her daughter started stamping a whole bunch of images and punching them out. That's really not cool. KWIM? You came to the class and made what we made, they should not have done extra..it wasn't fair to me (ate into my profits) and not fair to the other participants...they were getting extra for what they paid for the others weren't. I mean really in that instance I'm looking out for my customers as well...I don't want any of them to feel cheated. You have to admit that's a little dishonest. If you wanted to make more of a project...pay me for it or better yet, buy your own then make them until your heart is content!

It also takes a LOT of time to prep. To design and cut everything out and plan the stations! Plus you have to clean the house i was shocked at how long that takes and then clean up too. I KNOW it's "part of the job" but I think it explains a bit of our reasoning.

Like I said, I think she was just trying to make the point that doing these things is NOT easy or cheap sometimes. I know I either break even or actually lose money sometimes on my events (I'm still mostly a hobby demo and don't have a lot of customers yet though). So add in the cost of food and drinks (which I dont like anyway...there have been some accidents...food/drinks and stamping and clumsy peeps like myself are not a good combo, haha) supplies and everything and it really adds up!

If a customer wants to go buy something somewhere else that's fine, sucks a bit for me but such is life. I'm probably not pushy enough. Heck, I've done it in the past though. I'm not going to shame you for doing it, I'll be disappointed but all I really want is for you to like my stuff, buy some from me and hopefully become a friend. That being said, I went to an uppercase living party the other day and I didn't say "ohhh we have these things too" or hey you can go to Target and get these kind of things too. It's that way with any direct selling co...you are there to SELL the product I'm probably rambling all over the place but I just got a blackberry and the thing keeps beeping and distracting me, hahaha.

Check out my blog

Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #154
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I will agree that someone wasting 2 hours of your time helping her design X-Mas cards then going elsewhere for supplies is rude. Did she purchase anything from you? That would make a difference.. Also was this person a "friend"? maybe she thought you were helping her as a friend and not as a Demo, maybe?? I know I have had several people have me "help" them with coming up with Birthday invites and X-Mas cards and a baby shower. I also gave them stuff (paper- CS & DD) I had to help them with those projects- and when I say "help" them, it was me coming up with several designs till they found 1 they liked, then cutting all the paper to the correct size and assisting them in completing those projects. My friends expected me to help them as a friend because I had the experience. If I was a Demo- I know without a doubt they would not have made a purchase from me, again because I was a friend helping a friend. I am very curious if you were helping a friend with her X-Mas card or was this virtually a stranger you helped? That would make a huge difference in how I view this situation.

Sheena

As for ADA verses the corect IDA, my bad.. not paying enough attention ...oops..

And nope I have nothing better to do right now, and if you were reading and responding to this post- safe to assume you didn't either . I won't be busy till the little guy does to bed - then it is time to put together Santa's gifts for tomorrow morning...and get all the presents out under the tree and get everything ready for X-Mas morning for my Little Man!
No, not a friend at all. She was a guest most months of my stamp club. She started on order and said she needed help in designing her card to complete her order. Well, she came over the next day and "we" (as in me) designed her card and then she decided that she could take that idea and get the supplies at JoAnns (had coupon in hand to show me). So she cancelled her order and guest were supposed to have the same $25 minimum order as club members or a $5 fee to attend. Since she had started on an order I did not collect the guest fee at the event. She also several months after placing an order at another club meeting, contacted me about returning something (she just decided she didn't want it and it was cardstock). She wanted me to refund her money and I guess for m,e to just take the cardstock for myself (I had plenty and did not need more). But by this point I was a little fedup and just gave her the form with all pertinent information for exchanging items and let her handle it if she wanted to pay to mail it back.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #155
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
So basically all that you list is part of the job for a demo (design, cut, provide supplies, replace abused or broken items, and throw in a box of crackers and cheese and soda)? You do realize we DON'T get paid a wage. We only get a 20% commission on what is sold. So keep in mind these 2 demos whose Marathons you attend probably spend countless hours designing projects and preparing supplies, then a couple hours setting up and cleaning up after, and 4 hours at the event itself. Then they probably spend a good amount of money on supplies and then there is the wear and tear component on supplies that need replacing eventually. Then don't forget demos pay for those catalogs and the mini catalogs too (in case you don't realize it costs them 75 cents each to mail out to you, not a huge amount but sending them to 100 customers is $75 every couple months). And the list goes on and on. So if you feel it is morally OK to allow them to spend their time and money on you (and the others who you have saved from spending way too much buying supplies from your demos because they can get them elsewhere for less), then that is your perogative. I will also say though that many customers know they can get a better "deal" using a coupon at a B&M store, HOWEVER, they like the convenience their demo provides them and being shown how to use it. AND some of them even think it might be not so morally right to "use" their demo to help them design a project but to turn around and buy the supplies elsewhere.

And although I love designing projects and spending time with customers, if I am getting the equivalent of little more than 50 cents an hour after all is said and done (after expenses and food was always one of my big expenses and often resulted in negative profit) to do that, I would rather spend that time with my family and friends. If I spend 2 hours helping someone with their project so they can buy all the supplies elsewhere, I get paid nothing.

Michaels and JoAnns charge BIG fees for their classes (and their instructors get paid an hourly wage and don't have to provide supplies or food for the students). The students have to buy all the supplies for the class from Michaels before the class. So why would I want to provide that service to someone so that person can save the fee of their classes but can buy their supplies there? So the customer can get the best deal at my expense?

So be it if you can't get the concept. BTW, my people skills are just fine! I just choose to no longer hold events in my home (even though customers were asking for me to continue them) since it is not worth the time and expense (also keep in mind - insurance premiums that one needs to pay to have a rider for people in their home for business purposes).

I have, however, found the best alternative that allows me to keep gathering with those who love to create and who appreciate and understand all that goes into it. I hold a gathering for other demos monthly at my house (none of us from the same upline group, just local demos who like to stamp and share ideas). Works fine for me - stamp, swap, create, have fun and appreciate the creations and efforts of others.
So you have to do prep to hold an event... AND? It's like someone joining the military and then getting mad because they get deployed... it is part of the job and no one has handcuffed you to a SU catty (which BTW, you may pay for but then turn around and re-sell them at a profit).

Yes, I realize you don't get paid a wage so you can stop talking down to me. I am very aware of what a Demo makes money-wise and what is involved in putting together a Marathon. I've helped with the setting-up and cleaning up many times. *snort* You also do not have an 8-5, M-F job that you need to purchase special clothing for and can take time off whenever you want to. If you don't want folks trashing your stuff then stop being a Demo and teach at a LSS.

I am sorry someone took advantage of you. That's not okay.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #156
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So you have to do prep to hold an event... AND? It's like someone joining the military and then getting mad because they get deployed... it is part of the job and no one has handcuffed you to a SU catty (which BTW, you may pay for but then turn around and re-sell them at a profit).

Yes, I realize you don't get paid a wage so you can stop talking down to me. I am very aware of what a Demo makes money-wise and what is involved in putting together a Marathon. I've helped with the setting-up and cleaning up many times. *snort* You also do not have an 8-5, M-F job that you need to purchase special clothing for and can take time off whenever you want to. If you don't want folks trashing your stuff then stop being a Demo and teach at a LSS.

Hey, no one goes into business to only break even. I actually don't personally know anyone who sells the catalog at the full $9.95 price -- most demos I've met either sell it at cost or give it away with a purchase of a certain amount so that the commission earned pays for what the catalog costs the demo. I'm still trying to determine what approach works best for me.

How do you know that these posters don't have a "regular" office job apart from being a demo? I did, till I was laid off earlier this year, and quite a few of the other demos in my upline's group back in Virginia work full-time M-F jobs. Haven't yet figured out how to balance both, but I hope to!

It's not just the in-home workshop crowd who trash supplies. I've heard some horror stories about gals at crops and LSS classes, too! Thankfully I haven't yet had any firsthand experience with folks not respecting others' crafting stuff... knock on wood. I was sure nervous about starting to do demonstrations and make-and-takes where guests used my things when I first signed up!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #157
Crimping Master

Quote:
Hey, no one goes into business to only break even. I actually don't personally know anyone who sells the catalog at the full $9.95 price -- most demos I've met either sell it at cost or give it away with a purchase of a certain amount so that the commission earned pays for what the catalog costs the demo. I'm still trying to determine what approach works best for me.

How do you know that these posters don't have a "regular" office job apart from being a demo? I did, till I was laid off earlier this year, and quite a few of the other demos in my upline's group back in Virginia work full-time M-F jobs. Haven't yet figured out how to balance both, but I hope to!

It's not just the in-home workshop crowd who trash supplies. I've heard some horror stories about gals at crops and LSS classes, too! Thankfully I haven't yet had any firsthand experience with folks not respecting others' crafting stuff... knock on wood. I was sure nervous about starting to do demonstrations and make-and-takes where guests used my things when I first signed up!
It is the Demo's choice on what they decide to charge. I have purchased most of my catalogs at $9.95 with the exception of getting two free ones after placing several very large orders after my house caught on fire. My Demo gave them to me. I am not one of those folks that expect freebies... I always pay my way.

If there are Demos that work two jobs then kudos to them... but please don't expect to be put up on a pedestal for being a Demo and having to do the work. You choose to be a Demo.

Yes, I am sure people trash supplies at LSS's. I am pretty sure they can write those types of thing off on their taxes and I also believe the instructors at the LSS's don't have to purchase the supplies/tools for their classes. They are usually supplied by the store. Please correct me if I am wrong on that one.

I just got a box with $300 worth of brand-spanking-new Hero Arts stamps from the new catty so I am off to play for a while.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #158

Quote:

First of all I don't know why you seem so bitter and are being so snotty in your comments to people. We are all just putting our point of view out there, seriously...it's Christmas time for goodness sakes. Something bad must have happened to you by a demo or something and for that I'm sorry, but there are a LOT of good ones and plain good people out there. I've been trying to be nice and polite but I can't do it anymore.

Good, you helped your demo clean up, that's awesome...not everyone is like that. That's fine, but you're not getting the point here that this is all part of the deal and why maybe we charge a fee or what not, we need to be paid for what we "do". Clean up is involved as is everything else. And yes we can make a profit off of the cattys which is the POINT, it's a business...it's supposed to MAKE MONEY! Every demo is different whether they give cattys away or charge or whatever it's our choice.

And for the record, most of us DO have a M-F 9-5 job (in FACT I have a job where I work A LOT more hours than that and up to 7 days a week sometimes and also for the record I CAN'T take time off whenever I want I even have only a 2 month window in which I can get freaking married otherwise no honeymoon for us). For said job I must buy a uniform and other things. And know what, sometimes I get bled on or puked on even and guess what I'm pissed off and have to buy a new shirt or pants or whatever, so that aspect's the same, I don't like my stuff getting trashed no matter what it is. With that being said and the economy the way it is I know a lot of demos who this IS thier only job. So, they have to work harder than anyone because it is NOT easy to make money doing this. Really, I think a lot of them do not take time off, I'm pretty sure they are entering orders and taking calls and emails on vacation and what not. Heck I have ladies who call me at freaking 9 at night...this job has no set hours!

I'm a demo for FUN and right now this thread is sucking the thread out of being a demo! Again, I don't know why you seem so angry but whatever it is, I'm truly sorry but you need to get over it and deal if you don't like SU! fine whatever...we are just tired of hearing it. If you don't like SU! then stop talking about it!

Check out my blog

Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #159
Pearl-ExPert

Here is something that occured to me as I was reading...someone asked if MrTellsAll is Andrew from the UK. That crossed my mind too. Whoever he is, his post has done exactly what he wanted it to do...he got people arguing. If you ask me, which no one did , he seems to be less a troll and more of a grinch. Talk about trying to ruin Christmas fun and merriment. But, again, that is just my opinion. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get lots of good stuff! Remember to play nice 'cause Santa is watching!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 12-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #160
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1021 View Post
Here is something that ocured to me as I was reading...someone asked if MrTellsAll is Andrew from the UK. That crossed my mind too. Whoever he is, his post has done exactly what he wanted it to do...he got people arguing. If you ask me, which no one did , he seems to be less a troll and more of a grinch. Talk about trying to ruin Christmas fun and merriment. But, again, that is just my opinion. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get lots of good stuff! Remember to play nice 'cause Santa is watching!
Yep! Santa is watching and reading, probably several Santas. And since I AM the Santa in my house, I have tons more wrapping to do. Otherwise I will have 4 kids at the crack of dawn that will be pretty disappointed! Happy Holidays to all of you. Good Night!
Closed Thread