Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What got you jazzed about Stamping?

Hi Ladies,

I am a "returning" SU demo and I really want to succeed this time.... I was mainly a hobbyist during my first attempt. I am just curious what got you hooked on stamping? Was it at a workshop? What kind of projects?

Thanks for your input!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I didn't get into a huge stamping groove until I learned about two things: 1) coordinating stamp sets in the styles SU carries, and 2) background stamps! Those are what did it for me personally, as I was already making all of our cards using my scrapbooking supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Embossing powder hooked me. I was just mesmerized by the process. I don't emboss that much now, but for awhile I was just obsessed with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to a little stamping get-together where we made 4-6 cards for $20 - they were birthday, thank you and baby. It was so much fun I was hooked instantly! I didn't hear about Stampin' Up! until over a year later I'm still hooked and having fun! Sharing that fun with other's allows me to still have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I went to a workshop that a past co-worked was having. I was amazed at how easy everything was and how cute things turned out. I called the demo before she had even gotten home to book a WS.

I guess the one card that got me was a pop-up card. And it was super easy to do. I have used it at a stamp camp and everyone went nuts about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Going to a workshop instead of a party. You get to see so many more techniques and styles when you make more things...We did birthday calendars and made ten birthday cards for $15
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Embossing hooked me. That and the fact that even though I was a beginner, I could make a fancier card that was better than one I spent a fortune buying. There is just no selection of cards that I was looking for at the time.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Also, I was under the impression that this hobby would save me money. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Also, I was under the impression that this hobby would save me money. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahahahahahahaha!

I do get more of a payback from making a card then I do standing around in a store picking one out (and then standing in line to pay for it!), so it is more rewarding that way, but not financially!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Glossy card stock is what did it for me. I went to a party at friend's house, and the demo showed us how to make a card with just two stamps (an ornament and a pine sprig) two ink pads, and a glossy card. The card looked so "store-bought", but it was so easy and satisfying to do! That was the first year I made our Christmas cards, and there has been no looking back.

--Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I got hooked by a workshop as well as the catalogue not to mention the fact that a lot of my friends do stamping! If you can play with it, use it, and are shown different ways to make the most of your investment, that's the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for your input ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

It wasn't a party or anything that hooked me (I've not yet been to one actually)....but the first time my friend put the SU! catty in my hand....I knew that I was obsessed!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:38 AM   #14  
Mini Quack

Default what jazzed you up

HI...I was "never gonna stamp" then I thought an alphabet set would save me money on stickers, as I scrapbook... then the coordinating ink and cardstock and markers ...then it is something I can actually do and it turn out well... after stamping a short time I made 75 Christmas cards and was quite pleased with them... now all the techniques, and the markers and background stamps were introduced to me... now that SU carries such wonderful accessories... there is no turning back...my daughter is a "hobby" demo and we support our hobbies well..lol
If I may, look at a set that is versatile, then find a way to step it up...then add ribbon and embellishments show them the difference...there are still mant that prefer simple and just as many that long to be "better"...
Good luck...and always showcase the products that you used...

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 04:55 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

This is so funny. I used to laugh at those "crazy stamp and scrapbook ladies". I couldn't figure it out. I always thought that they had way too much time on their hands. Then I got pregnant and received a scrapbook as a gift. (thanks Dawn!) It started small. A little tubberware container filled with a few things. My first set of stamps was an alphabet set for $10 from Wal-mart. Then I would buy a few more things. Then a few more. After my daughter was born I had a bunch of stuff, enough to get a bigger tubberware container! LOL. Then I was watching "Scrapbooking" on DIY and saw Shelli on doing her thing, went straight to ebay (I know, I know) and bought my first set of stamps-Monkey Business to make TY cards for my daughter's first birthday. I loved them! Found a demo in my area, and signed up the following week. I'm mostly a hobby demo, and now have a nice size room to keep all of my stuff in and it still doesn't fit! I have become one of those "crazy stamp ladies" and wouldn't have it any other way!

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

For me it was going to a party that was set up like a workshop instead of just a bunch of people sitting around a table watching someone do ONE project. It was 5 cards for $5 & when I left there I was so excited that *I* could make really cute projects & it was really easy.

The other thing that got me hooked was making those little "extra's", like Sour Cream packets, 3-D type projects, embossing, using 2 way glue & dazzling diamonds, etc. Once I found a demo that seemed to have the same "style" that I liked, who was really laid back & not in my face about making a sale, taught me some really fun & simple techniques, I was absolutely hooked on SU! But what REALLY hooked me BIG TIME was SCS! When Stefani (my AWESOME Demo) gave me the link for SCS I was able to see all of the AMAZING cards & learn new techniques & before long, I was calling HER to place big orders.

~Melanie, the seriously addicted! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I had stamps but didn't get all jazzed about it until I went to my SU upline's house for a workshop. She had that stampers six thing. She showed us all the stuff to do with the stamps and I was hooked.

I was also excited since I was a scrapbooker and often would need an image and with stamps thought it was neat that I could make my image in any amount or color I wanted --
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
Embossing hooked me. That and the fact that even though I was a beginner, I could make a fancier card that was better than one I spent a fortune buying. There is just no selection of cards that I was looking for at the time.

Oh, you know what, that I think was it for me too -- we did a bunch of Frosty things and some were just stamped iwth black but then she did some things embossed with silver and I just loved it. The SU EP was it for me also, I had a bunch of jars at home I had gotten that were just NOT as nice as the SU silver and gold glory EP and ended up pitching the others --
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember this distinctly. A girl from school was having a SU party. I decided to go only because school was still new and I didn't have tons of friends yet and it was a good way to meet people. I also did other paper crafts at the time (including some dabbling in scrapbooking), but I thought stamping was a dull, cheesy, and worthless concept. Boy was I wrong!

I went to the party and literally within five minutes I was hooked. The demo was amazing and had 3 or 4 projects that we each got to make. She'd precut everything so all we had to do was stamp and create! Plus, I think most or all of us (there were about 10 of us) were completely new to stamping, so she did wonders teaching us all.

I think what hooked me the most at that party was the card we made with Star Santa (years later after it'd retired I searched for it on e-bay and bought it as I finally had more cash!). She put that white glue stuff that I just forgot the name of on Santa's beard and then we got to heat it to make it poof. Um, she literally had to take the heat gun away from me as I was so fascinated by it. We also used red flock on Santa's outfit. Why, oh why did SU get rid of flock?!

I think what hooked me most were the projects. I'm very much a "need to do it" person when it comes to crafts and having multiple projects (I think she had 2-3 cards and one small gift thing like a tea bag cover) really made the difference. She also charged you $5 for supplies, but only if you didn't order anything. I had no problem with that as I ordered from her every time! We did have one girl who would just pay the $5 as she was not into crafting. However, by the second or third party, she was a customer too!

Frankly, at first, the catalog was just overwhelming. Now, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I look at it!

Oh, another thing the demo stressed was the value of the stamps. I know this hobby is expensive, but SU stamp prices really are good. If you're like me, you balked when you saw that it was $29.99 for a set (considering that my limit for buying at the party was no more than $50 at that time), but when she explained how much more it costs in the store, it made sense to me, the bargain hunter.

Another idea I've seen other demos do is to do a "club" of 5 or so people who buy X amount of stamps a month (if it's 5 the amount is $30). They commit to the amount and then the hostess rotates so everyone gets to get hostess sets. I've seen this done as a catalog party so there's even less work for the demo! Or, I've also seen people do marker clubs (or WWC) where they each pay X amount a month and one buys the markers each month until all have them. It's basically a way of getting bigger items when you're on a tighter monthly budget.

Sorry to be so long, but I just love this stuff! I think what really hooked me (and this is post party probably) is the quality of SU's stuff. The stamps are consistently fabulous and the inks are unmatched. I only recently got the CS and it's quite good too. I think what's kept me this long (6-7 years) as a consistent SU lover is the versatility of the products and just how many cool wow things you can make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I honestly don't remember how I got into stamping. I do know I was immediately hooked on embossing, though!! I still love it to this day!

Behind every successful person is a substantial amount of
Coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

The inks and the fabulous stamps got me hooked. I especially liked that you get a good sized stamp pad for $5 that's refillable and stores the correct way. Decent ink pads at Joann's are like $5-8 and they don't have refills there. I also love that the stamps hold thier value for the most part and some even increase in value. Unlike all those beanie babies that are in my closet that are just about worthless. LOL Plus I love the therapy value of crafts altogether. It's very soothing to me.

Annetta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I had been stamping and creating my own cards for years. I would pick up things here and there and had many single pieces. What got me hooked on SU was my demonstrator. I'm a teacher and a parent at the end of the year had people contribute to a gift certificate if they wanted too. I received a generous gift and had a party to top it off. It has been two stamp clubs, 2 parties, 1/2 years and many $'s later. I love that there is a product that is of a great value. My demo always shows me something new. She keeps me on my toes. I don't have the time to be a demo right now, but maybe in the future.

I would inform your party goers that you can do a gift certificate for another friend. If you are excited about the product, it'll sell itself!

Good luck!

Love like you have never been hurt,
Dance like no one is watching,
Sing like no one is listening,
Live like it is heaven on earth,
And Stamp like there is no tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I had some SU stamps but no creativity. The my daughter and a friend had a party at my house and the demo told us about SCS. I thought why not go look and now I am one of her best customers and I am so proud of the cards that I case from the talented people here. If you are a demo I would definately tell your customers about this website if they don't already know. It will make you money!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I got started because my daughter wanted to host a SU party at our house. I figured I'd just buy something inexpensive to help her out so she could get some free stuff. HAH! I was hooked immediately - it was so easy to create something that looked so beautiful. I love working with colors (I'm a fabriholic/quilter) and I love the SU coordinated colors. Needless to say, I spent WAY more than I expected to - and that hasn't stopped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I love reading this thread! What great inspirations!

I started in college looking for something to embellish a calligraphy invitation I had done for my band sorority. I was in Joann Fabrics and found a beautiful musical stamp, this stuff called embossing fluid and gold metallic powder. After I took my goodies home and figured out how to emboss (over the electric burner on my Mom's stove - this was, I think, before heat guns) I was hooked.

Years and 1001 craft projects later, my neighbor had a Stampin' Up party. I couldn't believe there was a whole market for this stuff! That the products all coordinate and match totally sold me, as well as that I could purchase a kit that had a little bit of everything I needed to get started. SU has made it wasy for people like me to be creative and feel inspired. I love making things for people and it's been beyond satisfying. It is a great way to decompress after a rough day and to have a creative outlet. My DD, Jessica stamps with me and is an excellent stamping buddy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Why, oh why did SU get rid of flock?!
Don't want to hijack or anything, and I sure don't want to be an enabler (who am I kidding) but TAC still carries flock. Black, white, yellow, brown and red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Gotta agree with the not wanting to hi-jack, but I must also add that I just purchased the most wowie, zowie pink, green and orange from Impress the other day! They are gorgeous!!! and flock is HOT, HOT, HOT right now!

Back to the original post now
Reply With Quote Likes