Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a REALLY GOOD SU demo do for you?

Just wondering because I don't have one locally. I do my ordering online and am in the market for one that treats their customers well. Do you get shopping sales (a percentage off), free products after spending a certain amount (not the SU hostess $), etc...
If you don't feel comfortable posting, please pm me.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

For me; a really good demo holds classes or "stamp camps" at her house various times throughout the year. This way I pay a small fee for materials and get the chance to play, see new products and order if I WANT to, not because I have to. She also manages a few stamp CLUBS, where the members agree to a mandatory purchase but I don't belong to one of those.

She is great about showing new products, new ways to use old products, excited about the craft in general but is also realistic. She knows her customers won't buy EVERYTHING from her and is able to acknowledge that with a coupon you could get a better deal on adhesive ( for example ) at Michael's.

Having been a demo a few years ago, I do not expect free product or a percentage off when I buy. This is a business for her, and for me personally these things are not what I look for in a "good" demo. Every few years when she decides to clean out her stash and sell off retired products that she can no longer use; she does give her customers first chance at them and for very reasonable "used" prices.

As I said above, her excitement about the craft, willing to host events at her home, and her overall friendly, helpful attitude is what keeps me coming back and ordering from her.
Hope this helps...F:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

My demo is awesome!! I am in the hostess club, and I commit for 6 mo. My hostess month is in Dec. I love going to her home once a month, and making projects she has put together for us. We get to play with embossing folders, her big shot, etc. And she always gives us a small token at the end of the class. We pay nothing for this, but must put in an order of $12.95 a month. A small price to pay. She also does not charge us any shipping fees as long as we pick up the order from her house. If she delivers it to us, or has it mailed, we must pay a shipping fee. Again, another nice benefit. She also runs sales at different times of the year. She put out an email that she was trying to win a trip to Fiji. She needed $1400 in orders, so she ran a 20% off sale. She made her quota, and won the trip. We helped her, she helped us. Again, we paid no shipping on this order. We also get free catty's every time they come out. She has a large room with sale items of things that have retired, so she has those out at all her classes. I purchased a brand new, unopened Poppy paper, ink pad, and refill, and marker set for $14. I love the way she does things. This is the best demo I have ever had. (Thank you Michelle!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never met my demo but I will tell you why I keep her

When I order something, she sends me an email with pictures of projects that have been done with the things that I ordered. Like, if I get a stamp set, she will send me a few projects that were done with that particular set so that I am already inspired by the time my package arrives.

She also does videos on YouTube which I enjoy.

She does not charge me for catalogs.

She must track the package from SU because she will call me when my order has arrived to be sure that everything arrived safely and that the order was complete.

She does not hound me for any orders. That might seem odd that I mention that but I have ordered from other MLM groups/companies and they really can become a pain! Calling all the time and almost making you feel bad if it's not in your budget to order something right now. It means quite a lot to me that she lets me come to her when I need her

Those are the main reasons why I like my demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a fairly new demo and glad I found this thread. Lots of great ideas.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I'm not an SU! demo, (used to be) but am an A Muse Studio Consultant, and I love hearing what customers like-so you gals are being helpful to reps from other companies as well. I will keep checking back here for thoughts and ideas! Thanks!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

The helpful qualities I love in my demo, in addition to what has been mentioned above, is guiding my purchases. So since she knows my style-I am in a club and go to most of her events-she can say "Leah, I really think you would be happier with this set, or this paper." (stopping me from buying something that was cute but would not be useful). And she is not just upselling, as I was a demo for another company and can recognize that.

Another wonderful quality is bailing you out when you buy something for some complicated technique that you really weren't ready for, by taking you step by step through how to use whatever you bought.

And I really like that she makes cards and such for causes-cancer, schools, fundraisers, etc.

Plus she has chocolate at all the gatherings. That's really important.

Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Chocolate! Duly noted!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I would agree with everything already posted. And add that any demo needs to know her stuff. It's hard for a customer to trust their demo's opinion when you know more than they do.

I admire when a demo clearly spends time researching the products but also the competition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Hold Stamp a Stacks somewhere and charge for the cards. Show new products. I watch folks buy all the time!!! (and, they go home with a stack of ready-made cards!)

Wish more demos in my area did this-----they'll all be rolling in business!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all of the great replies! The local demo I had a few yrs ago wasn't in it for the love of paper and ink, sadly :(

I love, I mean LOVE LOVE LOVE paper and ink and dies and punches and stamps and embellishments and ribbon and glitter and glue...in other words
I LOVE IT ALL!

I'm thankful for all of the ladies here. Everyone is so giving and ready to share. This is my source of learning and inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use your demonstrator locator to find local demonstrators. Check their blogs, check their events. And go to an event. You'll know when you've found the right one because you'll be having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

My SU demo has does all of the activities already mentioned and also has a customer appreciation day once a year for her regular customers. Any order placed on her designated customer appreciation day gets a 20% discount regardless of the dollar amount of the order. Also,monthly stamp club members get a 20% discount on the order placed in their birthday month. I don't expect free things but having a couple of times a year that I can get a discount on my order makes me feel appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
Chocolate! Duly noted!!
CHOCOLATE is a must have!! :razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

To me, a good demo is someone who is organized, and not still be cutting the supplies when people are showing up for the class or club.

Somebody who takes the time and does quality cuts. Nothing worse then putting a card together and the paper is not cut even. (it's a waste of money, I get home and throw the card away)

One who places an order in a timely manner.

One who takes the initiative to teach the newbies instead of the newbies asking the other class members on how to do something. It does take away from the other class members in getting their projects done.

One last thing, SPACE. They have to have space for classes. I'm not dissin' small spaces but a demo can't cram people around a 6' table with all the supplies on the table and accept them to be comfortable. Some people can't handle being crowded. It makes them to not want to come back.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good and not so good demos over the years.

The good ones provide adequate space for everyone and are very organized - like having everything out that you need to do the project.

I appreciate multiple projects with different supplies - that way we are all not waiting for the same stamp and ink to be passed around. One demo would only have one project at a time going around and I swear I spent 75% of the time just waiting for the stuff to get to me.

I also appreciate demos not doing the hard sell and letting me know some of the things that can be purchased cheaper elsewhere. When I first started stamping (ages ago!) the demo pointed out that I can buy the same paper trimmer with a coupon for less money at our local craft store. That spoke volumes about how she treated customers. I was able to buy more stamps, paper and ink from her because of it. I was a good customer and always placed larger orders from her. Other demos pushed all the company products and I remember getting burned on some of the worst adhesive from one who raved about it. The stuff never stuck for very long.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Lots of good suggestions here. Sadly, if you wanted a want to avoid list, the demos in my area have given me a long one. :( I wish there was a demo around here who did many of the great things listed and was warm and welcoming to customers.

My list of what a really good demo does:

holds stamp camps
has supplies ready and organized
has enough space for supplies and to work & good lighting
welcomes customers & chats with everyone, but does not gossip or complain (especially about other customers)
demos products and techniques
answers questions
isn't pushy about sales, but lets me know what the deals are
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

As far as discounts, I like getting the catalog for free and either free shipping or no sales tax when I place a large order. I have been a demo, and I still think that's a fair deal, as long as a customer is organized and ready with payment, like I always am. (I know one demo that told a customer to find someone else because she'd take up hours of the demo's time asking questions to figure out what to order, and then she'd ask for discounts and deals. Then, most of the time she'd order 2 or 3 small things or nothing instead of the several hundred she said she was going to order.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Alice - I love your reply! I think it's sad to say that the good ones are a rare commodity :( I've just been let down so many times... sorry....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Sadly, I have checked and they dont even have anything listed on their pages. It's just the blank generic page. If they can't update that, I certainly doubt that they bother with a blog :( I sound jaded...I'm sorry

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Use your demonstrator locator to find local demonstrators. Check their blogs, check their events. And go to an event. You'll know when you've found the right one because you'll be having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #21  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayStampsPleaseView Post
Sadly, I have checked and they dont even have anything listed on their pages. It's just the blank generic page. If they can't update that, I certainly doubt that they bother with a blog :( I sound jaded...I'm sorry
You're right - that is unfortunate.

If you want to PM me, I'll see if I know anybody "good" in your area. I've met a lot of demos on SCS.

Alternately, you could choose to become your own demo. That way you'd be in the loop, get the discount, and probably do very well considering what you have said about your local demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, mine are non-pressuring (CTMH, SU, and Amuse). My CTMH rep is a super-good marketer but even with all her emails I do not feel pressured. I can feel her enthusiam.

I've never met my SU rep in person, and I love that she mails me my club order without asking me to pay the extra postage (though I always send her something to put towards it).

My Amuse rep had workshops at her house.

And my CTMH rep holds monthly crops. $10 for 12 hours to come work on whatever you want.

Last edited by SkyNacho; 07-19-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Wendy Lady, I am a SU demo and would be willing to travel to your area. Unfortunately, as you might remember, I am an hour or so away from you. We do meet at my daughter's house about every-other month or so. She lives in Elon. When we get together I provide at least 3 projects (cards, 3D, scrapbook pages) along with different techniques. I usually try to use either the same set of stamps or the same colors so should someone want to purchase the same items it isn't as expensive. I also provide refreshments and goodies along the way. It is usually a 2 - 3 hour fun time for everyone. We talk about all kinds of things and have a little "HO" attitude as well. If you might be interested, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to give you a call.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's interesting to see there are customers out there trying to find good demos, when I know so many good demos who can't find customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Hey Donna Hope you and the family are doing well! I just might take you up on your offer Congrat on being demo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Hi Wendy Lady, I am a SU demo and would be willing to travel to your area. Unfortunately, as you might remember, I am an hour or so away from you. We do meet at my daughter's house about every-other month or so. She lives in Elon. When we get together I provide at least 3 projects (cards, 3D, scrapbook pages) along with different techniques. I usually try to use either the same set of stamps or the same colors so should someone want to purchase the same items it isn't as expensive. I also provide refreshments and goodies along the way. It is usually a 2 - 3 hour fun time for everyone. We talk about all kinds of things and have a little "HO" attitude as well. If you might be interested, please pm me and I'll be more than happy to give you a call.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I hear ya...like a dog chasing it's tail! lol I know that there are plenty out there but finding local ones....not so easy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vz5dzhView Post
It's interesting to see there are customers out there trying to find good demos, when I know so many good demos who can't find customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
What's a "HO" attitude? It doesn't sound very good, but I'm sure it must be something good. That, or your meetings are quite unusual for the stamping crowd.;)
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on what folks are doing to make you happy. Its nice to hear that there are great demos giving many of you wonderful service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
For me; a really good demo holds classes or "stamp camps" at her house various times throughout the year. This way I pay a small fee for materials and get the chance to play, see new products and order if I WANT to, not because I have to. She also manages a few stamp CLUBS, where the members agree to a mandatory purchase but I don't belong to one of those.

She is great about showing new products, new ways to use old products, excited about the craft in general but is also realistic. She knows her customers won't buy EVERYTHING from her and is able to acknowledge that with a coupon you could get a better deal on adhesive ( for example ) at Michael's.

Having been a demo a few years ago, I do not expect free product or a percentage off when I buy. This is a business for her, and for me personally these things are not what I look for in a "good" demo. Every few years when she decides to clean out her stash and sell off retired products that she can no longer use; she does give her customers first chance at them and for very reasonable "used" prices.

As I said above, her excitement about the craft, willing to host events at her home, and her overall friendly, helpful attitude is what keeps me coming back and ordering from her.
Hope this helps...F:-)
I agree with all of this. My demo is the exact same way. Love her

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #30  

I think a good demo has a good upline. I recently signed up to be a demo in June. My upline was and still is awesome. She was awesome to me as a customer. She answered all my questions! That is probably the most important part. She didn't always know everything right away but she ALWAYS looked it up for me! I hope that I will be as good as she is and was to me!!!!! My UPUPLINE is awesome as well, it is more of a sisterhood....I was so happy to join! I hope you can find one that will be great to you as well!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

This is a great thread! I think when searching for a demonstrator you need to look for someone who offers classes and always has time to answer your questions about the product and is willing to show you ways to use your product. It is not just about the sales -- it is about showing YOU that you are creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Alice*View Post
As far as discounts, I like getting the catalog for free and either free shipping or no sales tax when I place a large order.
I don't know how they handle it in the us but in Europe we HAVE TO sell the catalog for �7,95 and they're pretty serious with that rule. Same with discounts, we're just not allowed to sell items below the listed price.

So on one hand I understand that customers like discounts (who wouldn't!) but on the other hand it can really affect a demo's business ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonnehView Post
I don't know how they handle it in the us but in Europe we HAVE TO sell the catalog for �7,95 and they're pretty serious with that rule. Same with discounts, we're just not allowed to sell items below the listed price.

So on one hand I understand that customers like discounts (who wouldn't!) but on the other hand it can really affect a demo's business ...
Here in the US we also have to sell the catalogs but a demo can chose to purchase them by the case and give them to her regular customers. As far as discounts. I used to have a card club and would give 5% discount to my customers/members during the month of their birthday. This discount did not come out of SU I had to pay that out of my pocket. That may be how the other ladies did it as well, idk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #34  
Inking Addict

I love my demo! She has a monthly stamp camp and we make super fun projects. If there is a specific stamp set or technique we want to do we just ask her. She gives us a catty for free when they come out and a sheet or two of each of the new incolors when they are released. We don't get discounts or anything but I don't mind that. She also always has snacks and drinks for us during our stamp camp. She is a really good friend of mine so that helps too. She also does other classes and stuff in addition to the monthly group.

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes