Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you wish you knew before you signed up?

I am very seriously considering signing up with the $99 Starter Kit deal. I am about 95% there... But here is my question: What do you wish you knew, or wish that someone had told you, before you signed up to be a Demo with Stampin' Up? This can be positive or negative. I'm not looking for excuses not to sign up, I just want the whole picture.

Thanks!
Yapha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

great question! i'm interested in the answers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish had known:
- how much fun it is - I would have signed up earlier
- that it's not as hard as I thought it would be
- that I buy more stamps than ever now! ;)
- how important it is to choose your upline carefully - you want somebody who will support you in your business

These are the ones that come to mind right now. If you're 95% convinced, then you might as well just go for it - I was about 80% convinced, and I'm glad that I joined - two years ago!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been a hobby demo for two years now and the one thing I really didn't expect was that I would make some great new stamping friends! I have added several to our little group! I love that I don't have to do workshops, but I love doing stamp camps! I can make my minimums with little or no problem. It is your business and you can run it the way you want! If you decide to join, I don't thinkyou will regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I'm a former demo. I loved being a demo, and now I love being a good customer. I think it's important to know, however, before signing up, that you don't make huge bucks when you consider the amount of time you put into planning, prepping and doing workshops, and then putting in the orders. It's important to know that the real money to be made is by developing a substantial, successful downline. Don't get me wrong - I loved being a demo and I was in it to support my "habit", which I was able to do. But I didn't realize before becoming a demo, how much time and work went into plannning and prepping workshops. It's easy to think "Hey, I spend 3 hours at a workshop - it's $500 - I make instant earnings of $100 - not bad wages", but then you need to add in the hours you spend getting ready for the workshop, and submitting the order, as well as the cost of your consumables used in the workshop. Of course, depending on your sales you'll make additional commission of a few percent, but the bottom line is those that make a substantial income work very, very hard, put in a lot of hours, and have a substantial downline.

I'm not trying to discourage you - I'm just being honest. Like I said, I love Stampin' Up!, I love their products, and I thoroughly enjoyed being a demo. I quit because, with a full time job, it was taking too much of my "spare" time.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerrym38
I'm a former demo. I loved being a demo, and now I love being a good customer. I think it's important to know, however, before signing up, that you don't make huge bucks when you consider the amount of time you put into planning, prepping and doing workshops, and then putting in the orders. It's important to know that the real money to be made is by developing a substantial, successful downline. Don't get me wrong - I loved being a demo and I was in it to support my "habit", which I was able to do. But I didn't realize before becoming a demo, how much time and work went into plannning and prepping workshops. It's easy to think "Hey, I spend 3 hours at a workshop - it's $500 - I make instant earnings of $100 - not bad wages", but then you need to add in the hours you spend getting ready for the workshop, and submitting the order, as well as the cost of your consumables used in the workshop. Of course, depending on your sales you'll make additional commission of a few percent, but the bottom line is those that make a substantial income work very, very hard, put in a lot of hours, and have a substantial downline.

I'm not trying to discourage you - I'm just being honest. Like I said, I love Stampin' Up!, I love their products, and I thoroughly enjoyed being a demo. I quit because, with a full time job, it was taking too much of my "spare" time.

Kerry

I totally agree with Kerry... The time and cost of materials can really add up. Not to mention that customers are sometimes not as gentle with your stamps, supplies, etc. as they are with their own. I signed up to be a demo during the last sellabration. I thought it would be great to get the discount (actually, I end up paying about the catalog price after tax and shipping costs.) I have also had a hard time getting a strong customer base (The area that I live in is flooded with demos). I really think that the secret behind any successful business is the amount of effort and work put into it. As a mommy of 3, I cant devote the time needed to grow my business. It can be done - My upline is one of the highest selling demos with the company. Stampin Up! is a great company and I don't want to talk you out of signing up to be a demo... I would encourage you to look at both the pros and cons before you sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I would say picking an upline is very important. I signed up after going to 2 SU events.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I think that when you sign up you need to decide what type of demo you want to be. I really wanted to be a hobby demo, and got all tied up in trying to make it a business when my heart didn't want to really do that. I spent extra money on business type stuff, extra catalogs, etc. When I really should have just enjoyed my discount and placed orders for interested friends who browsed through my catty.

If, however, you want to make it a business I would say go for it. I found many people interested without trying (co workers and such) and it was worth it to take orders from them.

Have a good upline that will support you either way!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

How hard are the taxes, business licenses, and forms to figure out? How much of a bookkeeper do you need to be?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

There are forms available on the SU demo site to help you keep track of your expenses and income. Get an accordian file to keep all of your receipts in and a pocket calendar to record your mileaga -all of it! Any time you do anything in your car that is SU related, record it.

As long as you are diligent about recording all of your expenses on the forms every month, taxes can be a breeze.

Good luck!

Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I loved being a demo. I just wish I knew more people in town that my upline didn't already know I had a hard time getting a large enough customer base of people who would spend money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

I am also thinking of becoming a Demo during the $99 special. If I do, I just would be a Hobby Demo for the discount. I am considering a couple of different Uplines...In what ways should I expect my demo to support me?
:-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
I wish had known:
- how much fun it is - I would have signed up earlier
- that it's not as hard as I thought it would be
- that I buy more stamps than ever now! ;)
- how important it is to choose your upline carefully - you want somebody who will support you in your business

These are the ones that come to mind right now. If you're 95% convinced, then you might as well just go for it - I was about 80% convinced, and I'm glad that I joined - two years ago!!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
How hard are the taxes, business licenses, and forms to figure out? How much of a bookkeeper do you need to be?
If I become a Demo, I plan to be a Hobby Demo, not make a business of it. Do I have to worry about filing taxes in this case? LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme
If I become a Demo, I plan to be a Hobby Demo, not make a business of it. Do I have to worry about filing taxes in this case? LM :-)
I think that the only one who can truly answer that question correctly is your accountant. However, if you are ONLY selling to yourself-no one else, then there aren't any tax issues because you are not "really" selling. If, on the other hand you do sell to a few other friends and family, then you certainly ought to keep good records for tax time. Also, you might consider purchasing Quickbooks, which is great accounting software for a small business owner and works well with Turbo Tax when you go to do your taxes in the Spring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

As a former *hobby* demo for SU! and current TAC angel, I wish I'd known about TAC first! It was difficult for me to maintain quarterly quota with SU! and very easily accomplished with TAC!
((��.�� ..�� Beth theangelcompany #3332
-:�:- ((��. Beauty is the gift of God. - Aristotle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

1. It's a whole lot of fun.
2. Don't expect to instantly be making a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am bumping to see if anyone can answer this for me. :-) LM

Quote:

I am also thinking of becoming a Demo during the $99 special. If I do, I just would be a Hobby Demo for the discount. I am considering a couple of different Uplines...In what ways should I expect my demo to support me?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a former demo, who left for reasons unrelated to SU. Here's my reaction to your question:

1. That stampers have incredible loyalty to this company, although I've also run across a few that loathe it.
2. That SCS demo forum was chock full of information and help etc. and was much more helpful than the official SU site!
3. That SU's owners would buy Clearsnap, another stamping company that supplies products to SU but also sells retail.
4. That SU requires its demos to sign a liability waiver prior to attending an SU event.
5. That SU's products are first rate and being a demo can be a lot of fun -- I loved meeting other stampers.
6. That SU's demonstrator support system is first rate -- whatever issue I had they resolved almost immediately. I have never dealt with such a warm group of customer oriented folks! Any product issues were dealt with
very quickly.
7. That demos don't get the July 1 catalog as early as I expected! LOL
8. That demos can order products early.
9. That some demos break the contract they sign with SU and either sell directly on ebay or work with a non demo to do so, undercutting the legitimate SU demo who is working her butt off to serve her customers.
10. That SU demos have enormous good will, affection and loyalty to the founder, Shelli Gardner.
11. That not every one who promises to place an order follows through!
12. That keeping good records is essential at tax time.
13. That signing up is easy and leaving very very hard.

All in all, I'd say the plusses outweigh the downsides 10 to 1!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing -- about taxes. If you are really really just a discount demo -- you buy only for yourself and sell to no others -- you do not have any earned income nor can you "write off" any expenses. Therefore, it has no affect on your taxes. You report nothing.

That said, don't rely on the internet for tax advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #20  

Just a thought...

If you are really interested in signing up to get the discount, you should really think about getting the normal Starter Kit. Just think ahead of time how much you think you will spend on your first order as a demo.

With the normal starter kit, you pay $199 + sales tax and you get $360 worth of stuff:

- 6 stamp sets ranging from $12.95-$28.95 value
- wheel, handle and ink cartridge
- set of the pastels
- 2 packages of assorted color cardstock
- 1 package of whisper white cardstock
- SNAIL adhesive
- C & R scissors
- Scrub and mist
- VersaMark pad
- package of blender pens
- 6 classic ink pads (1 color-black-can't be substituted)
- TONS of business supplies including 8 IBC (which you wouldn't use much as a Hobby Demo)

All of the sets, cardstock and ink you can choose your own colors and sets.

It was well worth the money for me with the amount of stuff you get.

HTH

Courtney
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Wink

Quote:

Your upline should offer training. My upline has quarterly group meetings for ..gosh I don't know how many levels. There are usually 20 -30 people at these meetings. There are business tips, swaps, techniques. She also has quarterly 1st level meetings, again, where we do a shoe box swap...you bring a sample and enough supplies for everyone to make it. also business tips and discussion. She has a Yahoo account, where we post samples, and files, similar to SCS, but on a way smaller scale. She should care about you know matter how much you make for her. I am a hobby demo and I feel as valued as her downline that has additional downline and have $3000 per month sales. She encourages your creativity and honors your successes...whatever they may be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I just became a hobby demo because I want it all.....lol! So I thought that if I am going to be spending an average of $100 a month such as I did last year, I may as well get the demo discount.

But I have a question for those of you who are hobby demos - there will come a time when I no longer need or want to spend $300 a quarter for my own stamping supplies. Do you still hold workshops or camps? I just don't have the time to prep for workshops, and I have a group of neighbors and relatives that I have tried to invite to workshops that I had last year, and none of them came! Only the customers of my upline because we all started together, but I sure don't plan on inviting them since they are good customers of my upline. How do you start a customer base for maybe one open house a quarter to help support my habit?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I have a friend that stamps a lot, and we share the $300 quarterly....$75 each, two times per month. But we may only do it another year. I have about 3 other friends who may buy once a year or for a sale. But i don't anticipate a customer base, ever. And will eventually put this aside for new interests. Right now I am interested in making and selling things on ebay. And the copyright restrictions are not user friendly for someone who wants to to that. I seems silly to spend a lot for supplies you can't use in resale projects that you are interested in. Mostly I have been buying paper and other nonstamp items, maybe just two sets per quarter of my $150 share. So I have been researching some of the smaller stamp companies with a more friendly Angel policy. SU's policy is ok, I understand it and why, but I, as a rule don't do craft fairs, maybe a small church sponsored one per year. I see the internet sales as much more advantageous for me, not that I'm going to get rich, I can make something post it and hopefully sell it (HA). And I don't have to craft a huge inventory of stuff that I am clueless about whether or not people will buy it.
But most importantly I am having a good time right now, love it, and it doesn't have to be a life committment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:04 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

oops that is two times per quarter..not month...wheww. no wonder I'm broke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

The biggest thing, besides choosing an upline who will work with you, is that you don't have to buy every single stamp set in the catalog! Do invest in accessories, tho.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I've been a CM rep for 6 years and the biggest thing I've learned both with myself, training downline, and observing the human nature in general is this ... "upset" comes from unmet expectations. You absolutely have to have open and honest communication with those you do business with, from your upline to your customers.

When you meet with your potential upline, tell her what your expectations are and make sure you understand what her expectations are of you. Discuss the possibility of your expectations changing and if she would communicate with you any differently.

Some uplines assume that if you want to be strictly a hobbiest that you don't need (or deserve!) any support. Others don't "listen" to your statements that you don't need any support and they continue to try to pump you up and pressure you into something you may not want. Another thing to watch for is that even if you want to be a hobbiest, you might change your mind at some point ... will your upline be able to provide you with training, support, motivation, and leadership?

Just think some of these things through, make a list of questions, and see how each demo responds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

I wish I would have known how easy it would really be to get customers. I spent soooo much time stressing over whtether or not I would be able to make my minimums. But you wouldn't believe how easy it is to get customers. Most of the time people come to me instead of me going to them. This stuff sells itself! And onother thing, if you are signing up for the business, make sure you sign up under a demo who is committed to helping you in your business. You don't want to sign up under someone who is a hobby demo who doesn't want to help you if you want this as a business. That is just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I've been a demo for about a year now - and what was most surprising was how little stamping I do for myself now that I'm a demo! Most of my stamping is prep for workshops!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I am not a SU demo, but am for TAC! The one thing I have noticed it...I spend more money now. LOL! Think about workshops and buy for them, shows etc. Then I want to buy for myself too. The funny thing is I went into it to support my habbit.

I love the company I work for and the potential to grow is limitless. Just be prepaired to put into your efforts. Top sellers work hard. It does not fall into thier lap!
Reply With Quote Likes