Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default What do you use to clean your stamps?

I used to use a stamp scrubber to clean my stamps but now that I'm using a Misti, I needed to come up with something that could wipe off the stamps while they're still on the Misti. I've tried baby wipes but find that they leave lint bits. The same with a washcloth. Then I bought a Stamp Shammy by Lawn Fawn and I just love the way it cleans. However, I lost my first shammy, awk! It's probably buried somewhere in my craft room but I haven't found it in 6 months, so I bought another one. Now I've misplaced that one. Although I feel like I'll find this one soon, I'm wondering if there is another way to clean them that is just as good. Replacing those shammy's is not my favorite way to spend $$. So..any tips, hints etc? What works for you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a microfibre cloth. You can use them dry, or mist them with water. I've seen Jennifer McGuire clean hers on the Misti this way. By the way, if you use baby wipes, a dry microfibre cloth will pull all the bits of lint they leave behind, off your stamp. I also use the homemade stamp cleaner recipe I found on here- which is just baby bath, a few drops of glycerine & water in a mister.
Microfibre cloths are cheap, I've bought them in packs of 3 or 4 from our Pound stores, the equivalent to your Dollar stores. You can just put them through the wash too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I used to use an Absorber (same as the shammy, but produced for automotive, not craft) and was happy with it until I started reading about the microfiber cloths. I bought a 24-pack of Zwipes on Amazon and have only used a couple of them with my stamps (others have been employed in dusting and glass cleaning). I use them damp with just plain water most of the time. If I need more than that, I'll use a baby wipe or stamp cleaner, then the cloth. I toss the cloths in with the jeans every now and then to wash them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'd find your shammy! It's the best way to clean stamps for sure. You can cut them in half when you find them so you have four, but the best way to keep track of them is with a salt container or cup on your desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 03:50 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Microfiber cloth with water or Hero Arts/Stewart stamp cleaner with the microfiber cloth. I think Sue posted the Zwipes I always post. BTW, not all Zwipes are created equal; I ordered a charcoal gray set for the kitchen; they were thin and nothing like the smaller ones.

The Zwipes immediately stain; it doesn’t matter and the ink doesn’t transfer onto anything, including us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stewart makes Hero Arts stamp cleaner, so when a refill is needed, a larger bottle of Stewart does the trick.

Occasionally I use Costco (Kirkland) baby wipes - and use them for some techniques. They’re lint free and stay damp since air can be squished out of the soft container as the lid is snapped shut. Amazon carries them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I use a microfibre cloth. You can use them dry, or mist them with water. I've seen Jennifer McGuire clean hers on the Misti this way. By the way, if you use baby wipes, a dry microfibre cloth will pull all the bits of lint they leave behind, off your stamp. I also use the homemade stamp cleaner recipe I found on here- which is just baby bath, a few drops of glycerine & water in a mister.
Microfibre cloths are cheap, I've bought them in packs of 3 or 4 from our Pound stores, the equivalent to your Dollar stores. You can just put them through the wash too.

Thanks for the idea. I don't think I've seen microfiber cloths but I'll check for them the next time I go shopping. Would that usually be in the cleaning section of a store?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Microfiber cloth with water or Hero Arts/Stewart stamp cleaner with the microfiber cloth. I think Sue posted the Zwipes I always post. BTW, not all Zwipes are created equal; I ordered a charcoal gray set for the kitchen; they were thin and nothing like the smaller ones.

The Zwipes immediately stain; it doesn’t matter and the ink doesn’t transfer onto anything, including us.

Amazon.com: Zwipes 735 Microfiber Towel Cleaning Cloths, 12-Pack: Automotive

Stewart makes Hero Arts stamp cleaner, so when a refill is needed, a larger bottle of Stewart does the trick.

Occasionally I use Costco (Kirkland) baby wipes - and use them for some techniques. They’re lint free and stay damp since air can be squished out of the soft container as the lid is snapped shut. Amazon carries them.

I use a spray bottle with water and mild cleaner, which works very well but it's the wiping cloth that had me stumped. I also have some of the Kirkland baby wipes so I need to see how that works. The wipes I had been using are so linty! Off to check out the microfiber cloths.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I'd find your shammy! It's the best way to clean stamps for sure. You can cut them in half when you find them so you have four, but the best way to keep track of them is with a salt container or cup on your desk.

Yes, I need to figure out something to keep it corraled so it doesn't fall off the table or end up buried. I finally did find the shammy that I misplaced yesterday and I may cut it in half so I have two. I tried keeping mine in a little snap-lid empty baby wipes container but was worried about it mildewing if I forgot to let it dry out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my long lost cloth is some covered container at the bottom of a box of supplies! Thanks for your tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 04:50 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

kazeka, yes you'd get them in that area. They're intended for dusting and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Yes, I need to figure out something to keep it corraled so it doesn't fall off the table or end up buried. I finally did find the shammy that I misplaced yesterday and I may cut it in half so I have two. I tried keeping mine in a little snap-lid empty baby wipes container but was worried about it mildewing if I forgot to let it dry out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my long lost cloth is some covered container at the bottom of a box of supplies! Thanks for your tips!
I store mine in an open zip-lock bag in my Iris cart drawer. It doesn't dry out quickly, mildew, or start smelling funky. I rinse it after every stamping "session," and sometimes I run it through the dishwasher in the basket. I'm still using the same quarter of the Absorber I bought a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm with the comment above, about buying an Absorber (A synthetic shammy. Which is JUST LIKE the stamping shammy.) BUUUT, it is MUCH BIGGER & you can cut it down to the size you want. That's what I did, & I have A BUNCH NOW! I keep the extras in a baby wipe container in my cupboard, & the one I'm using in a salt container in my work area. I also use the Microfiber Clothes--Yes, found in the cleaning isle at the grocery. I use them to dry my stamps after cleaning.

Here's the link to the Absorber:
Amazon.com: CleanTools 42149 The Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois, 27" x 17", Blue: Gateway

Here's a link to the Microfiber Clothes:
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Microfiber Cleaning Cloth, 24 Pack: Gateway

Just remember, you can find these at Walmart. The Shammy would be found in the car isle & the Microfiber Clothes in the cleaning isle. ;)

I also use Simple Green for cleaning, which is found in the Cleaning Isle at Walmart. (You can check the car isle too.) You can mix up a bunch & have some for later, & pour it in a spray bottle to use.(It's great for Spring Cleaning around the house too!) It is a conditioner for rubber. It was made for cleaning car tires I think. I clean my stamps right in my Misti too! ;)

HOPE this helps!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

Shaz, just a mention that one, maybe two baby wipes brands leave no lint. One is Costco’s brand -Kirkland. It’s available on Amazon.co.uk and the Costco UK site, not solely in Costco stores. The Target brand may be lint-free, but I haven’t tried it. An instructor from a closed LSS told me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I use simple green too. You can get it at costco but home depot, etc too. It come straight or concentrate-I get the concentrate.

I use old tshirts I cut up as rags and then rinse them and keep using them. Being thinner if I need to get into cracks and crannies with it and my finger nail I can.

However...I dont know about doing it on the MISTI because that is a plastic and using anything but plastic cleaner on it may make it permanently fog up and then you lose the purpose of it. So then the wet microfiber sounds like a plan. Water would not hurt the plastic. When you are done you can take the stamp off and clean it with the stamp cleaner/simple green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

BTW, I use water or Hero Arts/Stewart cleaner or baby wipes on stamps while they’re still stuck to the Tim and Misti positioners. Just easier for me since they don’t move. Sometimes after removing the stamp I rub/dry it in the microfiber cloth.

From the Tonic site about the Tim positioner only:
How to clean the Stamp Platform
  • Choose your stamp cleaner or Stamp Shammy (solvent, hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes and more)
  • Do not use acetone or nail polish remover on the surface
  • Rub gently with a cloth until clean
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I also got an Absorber, before Lawn Fawn came out with their version. I got mine at an auto supply store--no shipping charges! To store it, I found a container in the baby dishes section at Dollar Tree. It's a small 2-handled plastic cup with a (silicone? rubber?) lid that has a star/asterisk shape opening cut into it. It's really meant for kids' snacks, though as tightly as the lid fits, I honestly don't know how kids use it. The opening in the lid is more like slits that form flaps. Again, kind of stiff, but I can pull my Absorber out and push it back in, and it seems to let enough air in to keep it from smelling. I only use a small piece of the Absorber that I cut off, and store the rest of the sheet in its original tube. I honestly don't know if I'll even ever use the rest of it, as durable as the piece I cut off is! I also recommend microfiber cloths. If I have an ink like by Hero Arts on my stamp, I use the Ultra Clean spray on it (since the ink doesn't seem to come off easily with just water/Absorber) and dry it with my microfiber cloth. If it's on my MISTI, I also "rinse" it with either my Absorber or a water-based stamp cleaning spray by Ranger, again drying with my cloth. That's just to get any cleaner residue off the MISTI, since that cleaner seems to leave a bit of an oily feel behind. Anyway, Absorber + microfiber cloths = a great solution, imho!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I know what you mean - and wondered if it was glycerin (glycerol) giving that slick feeling. That’s why I dry with a microfiber cloth too. It’s not sticky or slick afterwards when dry, which is nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I'm with the comment above, about buying an Absorber (A synthetic shammy. Which is JUST LIKE the stamping shammy.) BUUUT, it is MUCH BIGGER & you can cut it down to the size you want. That's what I did, & I have A BUNCH NOW! I keep the extras in a baby wipe container in my cupboard, & the one I'm using in a salt container in my work area. I also use the Microfiber Clothes--Yes, found in the cleaning isle at the grocery. I use them to dry my stamps after cleaning.

Here's the link to the Absorber:
Amazon.com: CleanTools 42149 The Absorber Synthetic Drying Chamois, 27" x 17", Blue: Gateway

Here's a link to the Microfiber Clothes:
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Microfiber Cleaning Cloth, 24 Pack: Gateway

Just remember, you can find these at Walmart. The Shammy would be found in the car isle & the Microfiber Clothes in the cleaning isle. ;)

I also use Simple Green for cleaning, which is found in the Cleaning Isle at Walmart. (You can check the car isle too.) You can mix up a bunch & have some for later, & pour it in a spray bottle to use.(It's great for Spring Cleaning around the house too!) It is a conditioner for rubber. It was made for cleaning car tires I think. I clean my stamps right in my Misti too! ;)

HOPE this helps!!! ;)

Thanks everyone, for the help! I'm off to check out Amazon. I used to use Simple Green to clean my stamps but when we ran out, I went with mild liquid soap and water. Works well for me, but it's the cleaning wipe that I've had problems with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin’Up shammy

It is one of the best I have ever used. It is a lot thicker, and cut them in half for my card club. I have used the Lawn Fawn for years, but do like the Stampin’Up better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

I bet I’m the only one who doesn’t like the smell of Simple Green. Our Kayaks are scrubbed with it a couple times a year and afterwards I use tons of soap on me to kill the odor.

Scrubbing stamps in the sink has never been done. Since stamps are cleaned after each use with water or Hero Arts cleaner they’re clean, and then put on top of their index sheet but not put into pockets until dry - which only takes a few moments since Zwipes are thicker and more absorbent than others I have. (What does it say that my kitchen microfiber cloths aren’t as good as my craft room ones?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's the link on Amazon for the Salt Cellar to keep your shammy in:

Robot Check

It's gone down in price since I got mine awhile ago! (This is the one many others use too! ) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Iliana of Sweet Petunia sometimes uses the Colorbox cleaning pad with her stamps directly on the door of the Misti, handy for changing ink colors without changing the location of your stamp. I tried it and love it... it removes stains from most inks including Archival. I use an Absorber or microfiber for most things but for hard to remove ink or to lighten stains, there isn't anything more convenient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

The Stampin Up shammy has my vote. I was amazed how it removed ink. So easy to use.
Much better than the lawn fawn.
Takes the ink right off....and I’m fussy about cleaning stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I've tried the scrubber, shammy, wipes, and microfiber cloths. They all have their advantages and have ended up with the micro fiber that is about wash cloth size. I fold it in half one way and then in thirds the other way. For the most part I wet it thoroughly, wring it out and lay it in the SU scrubber holder with a scrubber in the bottom. That way I can rub my stamp across it laying there, or pick it up and rub it directly on the stamp. If, for some reason I can't get it clean in the grooves, I can use the scrubber. I also keep a toothbrush in the tray for stubborn stuff. When using more permanent inks, I will squirt a bit of EZ Duz It stamp cleaner I got from The Stamp Barn years ago before they closed, but most dye inks come off with only water. When it gets too inky, I rinse it under the faucet, ring it out and keep going. Since I have a stack of them, I throw them in the washer with other rags. In the other half of the scrubber tray, I keep a dry microfiber cloth, and dab my wet, clean stamp on it---especially if I want to put it away immediately, or even use it on another color right away. While I found the shammy to be any amazing cleaner, I live in AZ, so it dries out and stiffens way too often for me. The worse part of that is that it doesn't dry flat, so is har to store. I have a few piece in my "Clean Up Drawer" but rarely use them. The scrubber works well, but it also tends to spray dirty water all over whatever happens to be nearby. Baby wipes are work well and are easy to grab, but I'm into the least impact on the environment as possible, so throwing away away so many things on a daily basis, just goes against my grain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Jeanne, the first time I saw/used the Shammy was at a now-closed LSS. When done stamping they kept it flat in a perfectly sized little tray. I later decided I wanted the tray so called to check if they had them in stock. The person on the phone was quiet for a long moment as if confused - then burst out laughing. The “special” Shammy tray was a little styrofoam tray from a grocery store deli counter that cheese or meat was sold in! The next time I visited they gave me one. I still have it. (I can be oblivious.)

(And so agree about the environment - especially single use plastics. OT Some local restaurants switched to paper containers for carry-out. Some of us are contacting those that don’t to ask them to consider switching.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I've tried the scrubber, shammy, wipes, and microfiber cloths. They all have their advantages and have ended up with the micro fiber that is about wash cloth size. I fold it in half one way and then in thirds the other way. For the most part I wet it thoroughly, wring it out and lay it in the SU scrubber holder with a scrubber in the bottom. That way I can rub my stamp across it laying there, or pick it up and rub it directly on the stamp. If, for some reason I can't get it clean in the grooves, I can use the scrubber. I also keep a toothbrush in the tray for stubborn stuff. When using more permanent inks, I will squirt a bit of EZ Duz It stamp cleaner I got from The Stamp Barn years ago before they closed, but most dye inks come off with only water. When it gets too inky, I rinse it under the faucet, ring it out and keep going. Since I have a stack of them, I throw them in the washer with other rags. In the other half of the scrubber tray, I keep a dry microfiber cloth, and dab my wet, clean stamp on it---especially if I want to put it away immediately, or even use it on another color right away. While I found the shammy to be any amazing cleaner, I live in AZ, so it dries out and stiffens way too often for me. The worse part of that is that it doesn't dry flat, so is har to store. I have a few piece in my "Clean Up Drawer" but rarely use them. The scrubber works well, but it also tends to spray dirty water all over whatever happens to be nearby. Baby wipes are work well and are easy to grab, but I'm into the least impact on the environment as possible, so throwing away away so many things on a daily basis, just goes against my grain.

I also try not to use disposable items that get used and tossed, which is why I never went for the baby wipes option. My stamp shammy dries out really quickly as well, so I often end up spraying one corner with my stamp cleaner mister. Why I don't just get up and walk across the hall to the bathroom sink and wet it, I don't know, ha! I know what you mean about it drying all crumpled up and bent though, which is one reason I keep misplacing it. It falls off the table and gets stuck between the table and wall, or is jammed in next to other items so that I don't even recognize it! Sounds like I may need to give the microfiber cloths a try and probably use them both. Thanks for all the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Jeanne, the first time I saw/used the Shammy was at a now-closed LSS. When done stamping they kept it flat in a perfectly sized little tray. I later decided I wanted the tray so called to check if they had them in stock. The person on the phone was quiet for a long moment as if confused - then burst out laughing. The “special” Shammy tray was a little styrofoam tray from a grocery store deli counter that cheese or meat was sold in! The next time I visited they gave me one. I still have it. (I can be oblivious.)

(And so agree about the environment - especially single use plastics. OT Some local restaurants switched to paper containers for carry-out. Some of us are contacting those that don’t to ask them to consider switching.)

Haha, love it about the special custom-sized Shammy tray!! I'll have to watch for one to pass through my kitchen and snag it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 05:07 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I used to use an Absorber (same as the shammy, but produced for automotive, not craft) and was happy with it until I started reading about the microfiber cloths. I bought a 24-pack of Zwipes on Amazon and have only used a couple of them with my stamps (others have been employed in dusting and glass cleaning). I use them damp with just plain water most of the time. If I need more than that, I'll use a baby wipe or stamp cleaner, then the cloth. I toss the cloths in with the jeans every now and then to wash them...

May I ask why you switched from the absorber to the cloths? I've only used an absorber, which works perfectly, so I'm curious what you like better about the cloths.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
May I ask why you switched from the absorber to the cloths? I've only used an absorber, which works perfectly, so I'm curious what you like better about the cloths.

I still like the Absorber all right, but the bit of texture on the cloth seems to do a better job of getting ALL of the ink off - especially if I'm using Versafine or other pigment or hybrid inks. I also find that it stays wetter longer...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

It’s also possible to use a dry microfiber cloth - spritz the stamp instead of the cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I still like the Absorber all right, but the bit of texture on the cloth seems to do a better job of getting ALL of the ink off - especially if I'm using Versafine or other pigment or hybrid inks. I also find that it stays wetter longer...

Thank you. That makes sense.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Default I use Huggies / no lint

Huggies is the only baby wipes that dose not leave lint some times on bad stained stamps I use stamp spray but I always dry my stamps with the little from CTMH I had it for years it is about the size of a ink pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes, as much as I love my Shammy, I do find that Versafine ink doesn't come out of the crevices on deeply etched stamps. Doesn't seem to affect the stamped image but it looks grungy, ha! I finally found my misplaced shammy but keep going back and forth on the microfiber cloths.

I did cut my shammy in half so now I have two that I can misplace :rolleyes: but I like the idea of something that doesn't dry out as quickly AND cleans a bit better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use plain cheap Rubbing Alcohol with cloths. I know everyone says it will ruin or dry out your stamps. I've used it for years (a .90 bottle lasts for months) and all of my stamps are happy.
Reply With Quote Likes