Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #81
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Splitting up words from images is great...splitting up the set of stamps from the SU sets... heresy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #82
Stazon Splitcoast

I would love to do this but I am too OCD for it...I get anxiety just thinking about my sets being seperated..
Yikes.
Blessings.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #83
Mad Swapper

waahahahaaaaaa

I must be a mad woman - always separate mine - and dismember them too (unmount the mounteds).

Maybe for Halloween I'll don a lab coat and attach some bare naked rubber stamps w/EZ Mount all over it! But then, I don't think too many people would get the joke, do you? LOL
Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #84
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by traechicdesignsView Post
Just wondering if I should mention that sometimes I even split up a single image into one or more stamps . . . just did another one this evening!
Deep breaths now . . .
BEFORE:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067996?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067997?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

Ya'll okay out there?

Your pictures are out there now. I'm torn. I hate to admit - I kinda like it...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #85
Stazon Splitcoast

I wanna do it I wanna do it I wanna do it...oh no I am starting to sweat...guess I better try again another day.
Blessings.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #86
Hardware Hotshot

Wow!! Lots of great ideas out there. I am a little leary about splitting up my sets. TexasJodyLynn has proved otherwise, but I still don't think I could do it. That whole OCD/ADD thing, again!! I see that in theory, its great, but...........

jennik
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #87
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
waahahahaaaaaa

I must be a mad woman - always separate mine - and dismember them too (unmount the mounteds).

Maybe for Halloween I'll don a lab coat and attach some bare naked rubber stamps w/EZ Mount all over it! But then, I don't think too many people would get the joke, do you? LOL
LOL!

I love that you dismember your stamps...hehee...what a funny way to put it! I haven't quite gotten to that part yet. I've tried a couple. My big alphas are unmounted now. I think the big stopping point there is the amount of time it takes to unmount, put on ezmount, and then put onto storage. Plus using that darn hotknife kills my wrist!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #88
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I wanna do it I wanna do it I wanna do it...oh no I am starting to sweat...guess I better try again another day.
Blessings.
Do it! I'm already making space and adjusting my storage to make this work. I'm pretty pumped about this change
Old 09-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #89
Kookie Creator

It works for some people, but not for others (as you can tell from this thread!).

I thought about it, but rejected the idea--there would be too many times (I felt) that it would be a hindrance. For example, some stamps can fit several categories. For another, what happens when you fill up your "(category)" drawer--do stamps start overflowing elsewhere, and you get confused?

Instead, I stamp each set when I get it in 2 places:
1. an index card with all of the stamps in that set together, labeled with stamp set name and # in the set.
2. I keep a binder of stamp images by category (Christmas--images, Christmas--sentiments, Halloween, etc. etc. etc.). I stamp individual stamps in AS MANY CATEGORIES AS IT FITS, then label what set it comes from under the image.

Now, if I need a certain stamp ("Gee, what Sympathy stamps do I have?") I can check the binder. If I think a certain set might have just the stamp I want, I can check it that way.

And, as noted earlier, you can sell your sets more easily this way if and when that time comes! I NEVER used to think I'd sell any stamps, but now I'm starting to see that there are some I just won't use anymore...
Old 09-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #90
Kookie Creator

Default This is a good idea!

Quote:

Just wondering if I should mention that sometimes I even split up a single image into one or more stamps . . . just did another one this evening!
Deep breaths now . . .
BEFORE:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067996?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1067997?cat=500&ppuser=193229[/IMG]

Ya'll okay out there?
I do this too, sometimes. Just need more wood blocks (yes, I love my stamps to be rubber and to be wood-mounted!).
Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #91
Matboard Maniac

When I read your post i thought 'blimey' but this stamp actually, to me, makes better sense as three images. the leaves are all different and leaves generally are used 'floating' so this makes sense and so isn't 'wild' at all. If you separated something that clearly 'belonged' together that would be more 'unorthadox' but nope, you didn't scare me!!! The 'bark' was worse than the 'bite'!!

Quote:

Deep breaths now . . .
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Ya'll okay out there?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #92
Insane Embellisher

Sorry, it is physically impossible for me to separate stamp sets. I got a set in trade that was missing one stamp, and I am haunted by it....

I don't really keep any kind of inventory--I have about 100 sets, so when I need something, I just spread the sets out on my floor till I see what I want.

Of course, cleanup afterwards is a little bit harder.

HEATHER
Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #93
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnsyrView Post

I thought about it, but rejected the idea--there would be too many times (I felt) that it would be a hindrance. For example, some stamps can fit several categories. For another, what happens when you fill up your "(category)" drawer--do stamps start overflowing elsewhere, and you get confused?

These are good points. AND why it's taking me so blankity-blank long to get my stamps unmounted. I put all of my unmounteds in photo boxes (thanks for the 50% off this week, HL), this allows for infinite expansion. I can always add to a category or even add a new category all together.

The one stamp in several categories - now there's the biggie. In my case, I just make a decision, and put it in that category AND index it in the others as well. In other words, I put a "happy birthday" sentiment with my birthday stamps, and in my index binder, stamp the image there and with words/sentiments. It calls for a lot of flipping back and forth while I'm indexing (both the pages in my binder and my slippery noodle mind).

Did that make any sense?

Anyway, my theory is that, when I'm finished, I will be able to flip through my binder and locate anything that might appeal for the theme of the card as well as refresh my memory as to what I have that might work in that case.

Needless to say, I've been doing a lot more unmounting than stamping in recent months. Sorry if I talked anyone out of unmounting. I'm still a believer. It doesn't have to be done the way I did it. There are simpler ways.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #94
Stampin' Fool

great thread. I have unmounted most of my stamps. this seems like the logical next step. I do think about it, but just haven't had the time and I don't think that my organizational skills are up to this just yet.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

I read the title of this thread and my eyes bulged!! No, No, No!! I could never separate my SU sets and I have over 100 (not as many as some). I have sold sets AND bought sets which I would never do if a stamp were missing.

My Gallery
and My Blog

Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #96
Rubber Obsessor

What a great thread - this is definitely on my mind right now. I have unmounted all of my stamps and had initially intended on keeping them in CD cases by set. I realized that I don't use my stamps very much because I hate having to go through all of the sets to see what I have for a particular event. I tried a index book by set, but didn't love that either.

I then saw Jody's blog post on categories and LOVED the idea. My uncertainties now are around (1) categories and (2) how to store them.

With regards to categories, I would love to hear what categories others who have done this are using. I think it might save time to have some categories in mind while sorting stamps - there are probably lots of categories I haven't even thought of yet. These are the ones I have so far:

-birthday
-christmas
-thank-you
-trees/leaves
-flowers
-halloween
-thanksgiving
-baby
-easter

With regards to storage, like I said my sets are now in CD cases and I personally am not happy with them. I do have some stamps in drawers by category or manufacturer and think it works OK. I am wondering if this is the most flexible storage as it is easy to have both mounted and unmounted in a drawer. I did buy some of the Little Monkey's storage and love them - I currently have all my Magnolia's in this system and am really happy with it. I was thinking of using this storage for all of my stamps, but there are a few that I don't intend to unmount - my Thomas Kincaid stamps come to mind. Perhaps it still makes most sense to use the Little Monkey's system for pretty much everything - then cost really is an issue as their starter system (i.e. for a box) is $28.99. I have approx. 3000 individual stamps, so I would need a lot of these. Here is the link for those who are wondering about this storage system:

http://www.storemorestamps.com/Shop.php

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And, just for the record, I am definitely Type-A so it took me quite a while to get to this place. There was no hyperventilating, but lots of questioning my decision. For me, it came down to how do I stamp and what makes the most sense for using my stamps. I decided it made more sense to have them in categories and actually use them since I would be more easily able to find them vs. keeping them in perfect sets and not using them because I didn't want to sort through the sets to see what I had.

Thanks,
Suzanne
Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #97
Polyshrink Goddess

I've always done mine by catagories (two I have that you don't mention are "animals" and "words-phrases"). Each catagory has a number (animals are 3, flowers are 1) & I have that number on the cds they're stored in. I just use plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store & it works fine for me. I can see them & they're cheap. I can't imagine how many Monkey boxes it would take for that many stamps. Way too much money for me. I use the plastic sheets to store words & phrases (because of the number of stamps), but all my others are in CD boxes.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #98
Insane Embellisher

::shudders in the corner:::

I could never do that. I'm too OCD.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #99
Kookie Creator

Ok; I have decided to spend the day separating my sets...into categories: But I do not want to unmount any of them..as I like the wood blocks...Do you have any storage ideas? Do you keep them in their clear cases; but just label the cases differently or do you have other ideas...???

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #100
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby18View Post
What a great thread - this is definitely on my mind right now. I have unmounted all of my stamps and had initially intended on keeping them in CD cases by set. I realized that I don't use my stamps very much because I hate having to go through all of the sets to see what I have for a particular event. I tried a index book by set, but didn't love that either.

I then saw Jody's blog post on categories and LOVED the idea. My uncertainties now are around (1) categories and (2) how to store them.

With regards to categories, I would love to hear what categories others who have done this are using. I think it might save time to have some categories in mind while sorting stamps - there are probably lots of categories I haven't even thought of yet. These are the ones I have so far:

-birthday
-christmas
-thank-you
-trees/leaves
-flowers
-halloween
-thanksgiving
-baby
-easter

With regards to storage, like I said my sets are now in CD cases and I personally am not happy with them. I do have some stamps in drawers by category or manufacturer and think it works OK. I am wondering if this is the most flexible storage as it is easy to have both mounted and unmounted in a drawer. I did buy some of the Little Monkey's storage and love them - I currently have all my Magnolia's in this system and am really happy with it. I was thinking of using this storage for all of my stamps, but there are a few that I don't intend to unmount - my Thomas Kincaid stamps come to mind. Perhaps it still makes most sense to use the Little Monkey's system for pretty much everything - then cost really is an issue as their starter system (i.e. for a box) is $28.99. I have approx. 3000 individual stamps, so I would need a lot of these. Here is the link for those who are wondering about this storage system:

http://www.storemorestamps.com/Shop.php

Thoughts? Comments? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And, just for the record, I am definitely Type-A so it took me quite a while to get to this place. There was no hyperventilating, but lots of questioning my decision. For me, it came down to how do I stamp and what makes the most sense for using my stamps. I decided it made more sense to have them in categories and actually use them since I would be more easily able to find them vs. keeping them in perfect sets and not using them because I didn't want to sort through the sets to see what I had.

Thanks,
Suzanne
I'm in the middle of resorting and organizing my stamps out of their sets right now. After posting this thread and hearing the reviews from people who had done it pushed me over the edge...I'm doing it I had a lot of the same reasons as the others who have including not using all the stamps I have because I couldn't remember which I did have.

Right now my stamps are in a variety of piles on my craft room floor. It's quite the picture! I have started to sort them into categories. Some of the categories I have so far are:

Christmas
Holiday (Halloween, Easter, etc....I don't have a lot of these holiday stamps right now, so I think this will work for me, for now)
Anniversary/Wedding
Food
Animals
Birthday
Sentiments
Hearts/Stars
Chicks (I think I'm going to put my Bellas and other gals in here)
Thank You

that's what I have so far. I will probably make some changes and tweaks here and there as I finish my sort.

As for storage, I am using shallow drawers to hold my stamps. I have two sets of drawers with 6 drawers in each. I also have some shallow drawers in my larger drawer carts that I may use as well.

As I've been going through my stamps I have found stamps that I'd forgotten about, not to mention supplies that I didn't realize I had. This is going to be a good change for me.

Another benefit I've found during my sort has been that I now have a good idea of certain stamps I have. For instance, I didn't realize that I had the amount of crown stamps that I do. Before they were sitting in various sets (Unfrogettable, Pretty Princess, etc) and I never thought of those sets as having crowns in them. Now that they are sorted out I realize I DO have those stamps and will use them more often.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #101
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbyView Post
Ok; I have decided to spend the day separating my sets...into categories: But I do not want to unmount any of them..as I like the wood blocks...Do you have any storage ideas? Do you keep them in their clear cases; but just label the cases differently or do you have other ideas...???
I'm using drawers very similar to the ones Jody shows on her blog. If you read my post above this one I have a more detailed description of them.

I think drawers are a good option since you can store both wood mounted, unmounted rubber and clear acrylic stamps. Plus you can also tuck in embellishments that fit the category if you wish, as Jody mentioned she also does.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #102
Pearl-ExPert

I have seperated some of my sets. Those that have lots of various images but don't necessarily go together, those that have the small backgrounds and sentiments. These loose stamps go in a drawer system I have that is organized by category (flowers, sentiments, etc) - very similar to the one shown in the link to the blog on the OP. I did write on the side of each block which set they were from in case I wanted to put them back together again to sell. I also have a stamp index in a notebook where I stamped all the stamps in each set (even those that I didn't seperate) together on a page so I know what does go together. I also stamp each image again on a category page (again, like flowers, sentiments...) this way when I am looking for a particular type of stamp, like a friendship sentiment, I can look in my index under "sentiments - friendship" and see everything I have that fits that category and where it is located. This saves so much time over having to remember which set a particular stamp was in. And I get more use out of my stamps because of this.

I do have a lot of my sets still together because I would actually use the stamps together and I wouldn't want to hunt through various drawers to ge them all. Or those sets that I buy for a specific project but know that I will eventually sell them.

There is no rule that says the sets must stay together. If you want to do it and you think you would find them more easily or use them more - go for it. If you don't like it, you can always put them back.

Btw... I also don't keep my inks or markers by color family. I keep them in rainbow order.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #103
Rubber Obsessor

As I have kept up with the various posts in this thread regarding the splitting of sets, I have started pondering the unmounting of my rubbah.
Question:
If you are in the 'unmounted' camp - do you have ALL stamps unmounted or just non-SU! and retired? If you unmount current SU! - how do you explain to customers at workshops etc.?

Of course, I would keep them in my categories but, I am daydreaming about the space savings by going unmounted! What I may do . . . unmount everything except current SU! Hmmmm, decisions, decisions!

Also, for you 'unmounties' - what cling works the best for you?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #104
Rubber Obsessor

I have all of my stamps unmounted, except for my Kincaid stamps as I consider them little pieces of art. I am slowly putting them all on EZ mount, but it is a long process.

HTH,
Suzanne
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #105
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
I've been debating this for a while...I saw on Jody's blog ~here~ where she did this. She separated her SU stamps out of the sets and organized them by category.

I love the idea of doing this, but am not sure about actually doing it. Thoughts of reorganizing all my stamps have me unsure. What a big project. I'm also a little unsure of how I'd handle keeping my unmounteds, clear and woodmounteds together.

What do you think? Have you tried this? Love it? Hate it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas

Let me start with I'm not as protective of my stamps as my friends (I mainly scrap, but stamping evolved from that...) I have stamps from too many companies, half of which I can't tell you and flat out don't know. I knew where nothing was and had no concept of what I had until I spent my summer break, literally, organizing the snot out of them.

Step One - categorize. That meant putting flowers with flowers, sayings with sayings. Which, of course, meant splitting up sets. I did it and have not looked back. I do have a binder with all of the images, stamped. When it was a set & company I knew I wrote that info down next to the images for every stamp in the set.

I LOVE having them categorized in a way I can see what i have and use them. I don't need sayings with flowers with bumble bees together. if I need a flower to use, i want to see the flowers I have, not wade through everything else to get to them.

FYI, mine are all unmounted or acrylic, stored in CD cases.