Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #241
Polyshrink Goddess

Stickers are easy to get rid of. Give them to a child. Little kids don't care what kind they are, they like to just peel them off and put them on paper.

I wish we could all get together and have a big swap!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #242
Matboard Maniac

give the cheap CS to a local school - it's gotta be better than construction paper!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #243
Matboard Maniac

funny how some things ppl don't use are other ppl's most used...

I have a lot of non-SU stamps that I hardly use, mostly b/c they're stored where I can't see them.

DP that I bought YEARS ago

Sissix...it's ok, but I'm looking at the BigShot and it's rolling handle thingie...much more convenient! But can I justify that expense...
a lot of embellishments that I bought YEARS ago

Things I use a LOT...
cropadile
stampamajig
SU markers
watercolour pencils (non-SU) and SU blender pens

I work at a school and every Friday we have 'Girls' time out'...I've brought a lot of my old paper etc there and the girls love it, probably b/c they're close to the same age I was when I bought it! so I don't feel guilty about having spent $$, it's bringing joy to others, right? right???
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #244
Matboard Maniac

i guess there are a lot of things i had regretted buying, but i try to find new uses for them.

the biggest one was the purplecows 2-in-1 (rotary/guillotine) trimmer. it was huge and i wasn't impressed by the guillotine. my paper would slip and so the cut was always crooked. the rotary was ok, but it was a lot easier for me to just use my trusty old fiskars trimmer. i was so disgusted with myself for having purchased that thing when really, there was nothing wrong with my fiskars one. i put it away so that i'd never see it. then, they came out with those interchangeable rotary blades, so i got those with my joann 50% off coupon and now use the trimmer to make borders/ricrac/edges that are perfectly straight (parallel width).

after i got my nestabilities, i regretted having spent the money on coluzzle templates... but i found that they're really useful for cutting pictures (e.g., in my son's baby book, the picture spots are round and oval) because i could see exactly where the cut was going to be. i couldn't do that with the nesties or a circular cutter.

when i started out with scrapbooking, i bought a LOT of cheap patterned paper. i couldn't grasp paying 59-99 for a sheet of paper when i could get a huge stack of it for $2! when i got more serious about scrapbooking, i realized they were "ugly", of poor quality, difficult to coordinate, and not things i'd want to see when i look back at pictures of my kids. now i use them to make envelopes... and they'll probably become "origami paper" when my kids get a little older.

the mm tag maker... well, i still regret that.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #245
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Most of my regrets come from buying when I was new to crafting and didn't know any better.

I thought I would use my crimper all the time. Barely ever did.

I regret getting big paper stacks. The colors never match anything, and there's always too much of one pattern. Especially if you're just making cards. Then these will last forever. Even if you share!

Cheap cardstock. Once again, the colors don't match anything and the cards don't stay upright.

Stickers. 'Nuff said.

Buying stuff with business in mind. I find that if I don't truly love it, I won't really use it a lot. Or I will hate every single time I make myself use it because it's there and it's bothering me that it hasn't seen ink. Some of my fave sets are not big sellers, but I find that if I truly love something, my enthousiasm will do the work and I will sell the sets anyway, even if they're not as versatile. One exemple? Carte postale. Got it because it matched a wheel and paper and die-cuts. Hated working with it every single time. (Don't get me wrong - it's beautiful. I just didn't have fun with it.)

Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #246
Polyshrink Goddess

The tagger from Making Memories (like the plastic tag-holders on new clothes)... yeah, that one was lame...
and every eyelet setter ever (except the CAPBB, love that thing!)
colored embossing powders (much rather use colored ink and clear EP)
12x12 paper stacks... I have every SU! color now, so I can match a lot of them, but too, too many sit unused now...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #247
Kookie Creator

Ok I admit it - I was a a nut when it came to these goodies & have some stashes that have never been touched. I did get rid of maybe 12-15 SU sets last year a a LSS 'garage sale'. Now if I'm tempted I'll put something on a list & set it aside to look at it later. Most times it's crossed off the list but I love to have a great selection of paper 'just in case' that project I'm working on 'needs' it. Having confessed! I have been more controlled lately - no Crop-A-Dile, no Nesties (still on the list), 1 new stamp set (Wild Rose & I'm weakening with all of the new great PTI issues). Sitting ignored are a light box,2 sets of Hodge Podge hardware,Twinkling H2O's,a ton of embellishments & a few empty scrapbooks,a lot of stamps that have never been inked, Spectrum Ink pads,ribbon. When my home office/craft room is ready I'm hoping the better organization will help me have stuff more visible so I can put my hands on the goodies more easily - we'll see!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #248
Kookie Creator

I agree about the cheap pattern paper and embellies and shaped eyelets. I've only been scrapping 2 years ands and stamping 6 months, but my tastes are going to the expensive side! LOL!

I'd buy any juicy SU craft inkpads.

Lisa
Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #249
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinagrrlView Post
i guess there are a lot of things i had regretted buying, but i try to find new uses for them.

the biggest one was the purplecows 2-in-1 (rotary/guillotine) trimmer. it was huge and i wasn't impressed by the guillotine. my paper would slip and so the cut was always crooked. the rotary was ok, but it was a lot easier for me to just use my trusty old fiskars trimmer. i was so disgusted with myself for having purchased that thing when really, there was nothing wrong with my fiskars one. i put it away so that i'd never see it. then, they came out with those interchangeable rotary blades, so i got those with my joann 50% off coupon and now use the trimmer to make borders/ricrac/edges that are perfectly straight (parallel width).

after i got my nestabilities, i regretted having spent the money on coluzzle templates... but i found that they're really useful for cutting pictures (e.g., in my son's baby book, the picture spots are round and oval) because i could see exactly where the cut was going to be. i couldn't do that with the nesties or a circular cutter.

when i started out with scrapbooking, i bought a LOT of cheap patterned paper. i couldn't grasp paying 59-99 for a sheet of paper when i could get a huge stack of it for $2! when i got more serious about scrapbooking, i realized they were "ugly", of poor quality, difficult to coordinate, and not things i'd want to see when i look back at pictures of my kids. now i use them to make envelopes... and they'll probably become "origami paper" when my kids get a little older.

i forgot about that purple cow thing i got one it was 40 what a waste of money that was I HATE THE THING!!!! xx jo xx
Old 08-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #250
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have many regrets about things that I have purchased. I bought a bunch of the Sizzix punches (you know, the ones that you had to use a hammer with) a few years ago, and I just haven't used them much. I'm also not in love with the CTMH stamps that I bought recently.

My biggest problem is getting rid of stuff and then wishing that I hadn't. There's a thread: what do you regret getting rid of?

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Circle Scissor, and countless SU stamp sets that had been retired. When I was a demo I used to get rid of most sets that had been retired because I found that if I wasn't demonstrating with them I wasn't using them. I wish I still had Rose Rhapsody, Fruit Medley & Fruity phrases, Greetings 4 You, and another 2-step stamping floral set that I loved.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #251
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinagrrlView Post

Thanks for the great idea. I have an endless supply of paper to make 'designer' envelopes with!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #252
Kookie Creator

Wow, this thread has a life of its own. Fun reading them all.

my regrets:
stampin' wheels, ink cartridges and 2 handles (what's with that??)
circle scissor
chalks and all those tiny white pom poms i needed to apply it
wire
embossing powders, buddy, heat gun and tidy tray (not so tidy)
numerous marvy lever punches now that i have the nesties (which i do *heart*)
crimper

interesting: i do love my light table and lot o'brass stencils

Tamara
Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #253
Matboard Maniac

I have stacks of 12x12 patterned paper that I got at Archivers because they were pretty and they were on sale/in clearance. I have yet to use any of them. I also have those stacks of cardstock full of colors that I will never use. $100s in paper that is just sitting in my closet. Now I only buy SU cardstock and paper since it all coordinates, making my life much easier.

I also bought tons of those prima flowers because they're so pretty---I have yet to use any of them. What was I thinking? I also spend tons of money buying stamp sets on ebay that I don't ever use; I have gotten much better about my stamp purchases though

Lots of money I wish I have saved or spent somewhere else!
Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #254
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to the person/people who suggested giving away certain supplies to children. I went through my stuff yesterday and found a ton of construction paper and stickers that I'm handing over to the children of my friend tonight.

I'm hoping to go through more stuff tonight and give a bunch of extra stamps etc. to another card making friend.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #255
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuiltnstamperView Post
My cricut machine and all those expensive cartridges. I used it when I was teaching school but I haven't touched it in a year.
I'm with you...my Cricut machine. My daughter just started kindergarten so I'm hoping that maybe they can find some uses for it. I wish I would have bought the Cuttlebug first because I may have not bought the Cricut and the expensive cartridges. I use the Cuttlebug and nesties all the time. (I've started cutting my photos for scrapbooking out with the nesties too!)
Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #256
Pearl-ExPert

Thankfully I have purged my regrets (twice). I boxed up all of my regrets and gave most of them to my friend's sister. LOTS of paper (patterned and solid), light box, shrinky dink stuff, punches, cheap colored pencils, etc. She and her 8 year old daughter were THRILLED! I gave all of my "extra" paper trimmers and extra totes to another friend. Purge, purge, purge. I can't begin to tell you how good it felt to have these things GONE.

I have many stamp sets that haven't even SEEN ink, but I don't want to get rid of them because I might want to stamp something with them at a later time. (I have over 70,000 stamps - but that is counting each stamp in a set.)

I've learned to not get sucked into the new release hype of Papertrey Ink. Now I buy what I like. (And I love the florals!) I absolutely love the PTI paper and the matching Palette ink spots.

I haven't had many large $ item regrets other than the Dreamkuts and Spellbinders Wizard, both of which I sold. (And bought the Cuttlebug.) I don't regret the Bind It All, Cuttlebug, both of the Crop-a-Diles, Cricut Expression and the things that go with that, Xyron 510, ATG. I may not use these things every time I create something, but I am so glad to have them when I NEED them.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #257
Insane Embellisher

Inks and paper that aren't stampin up, not just because I'm now a demo but because my scrapbooking is so much simpler when I can pull out matching color families. I have less but can do more with it.
But I'm loving the Big Shot and can easily use up scraps of paper making shapes! I'd love to take eyelets off of everyone's hands who don't use them and Prima Flowers. My card ladies are addicted! LOL! I used to have a Fiskars circle cutter. I hated it so much that I wouldn't even sell it on ebay! I trashed the poor thing! A great thing to do with the things that you don't like is to give them to a women's shelter, a school, a church group.... I clean things out on a regular basis, happily give them away, sell a few on ebay and regain space for the things I love. It is so refreshing. I've also found that things I don't use (colored wire) is someone else's treasure. Anyone up for a trade for a goody I have (clear stamps) for eyelets or prima flowers??
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #258
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinscrapindView Post
Also the SU! Watercolor Crayons, used once or twice.
MEE TOOOO!!!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #259
Rubber Obsessor

Postmark,
I could be interested in the trade you mention. I have found I am much more a 'brad' person than eyelets. I do have quite a few clear stamps, but let me know what you have to offer and what you expect in return. I do not have oodles of eyelets, (I would have to count to even know) but have quite a few different colors and some of the metallic ones. I would love to have something I could use and share what I will not with someone who would be excited.
Rachael
Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #260
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
I started out doing scrapbooking, then decided stamps would be a nice addition to scrapbooking and now do a lot of stamping. That said, I work full-time and do very little of each. However, I buy everything I hear somesay is a good tool addition. Also paper addict. One of my biggest regrets though was finally buying the original Sissix machine and about 6 sets of the slzzlets alphabets right before they came out with the Cricut. I now have about 9 cartridges. Plus I have caught the Cuttlebug embossing bug plus much more. Seldom scrapbook, and only make perhaps 15 cards a year.

What I really do is "collect" supplies.
Wow! I am SOOO there with you! I've bought so much stuff just because it looks like something I might need. I LOVE going to stamp camps that my SU! demonstrator holds each month at the library, but then I NEVER have time to actually do anything with the stuff I buy! Oh, well....maybe I'll find time someday...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #261
Rubber Obsessor

I regret buying all the SU punches. They do not last, and you can't sharpen them at all - tried it all.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #262
Polyshrink Goddess

pepper, were you doing a whole lot of punching?

I know for me, having too much bogs me down, and I do have too much. I really don't think I would use the Big Shot enough to make it worthwhile. For those of you who spend a lot of money on supplies and only make a few cards a year, why not make 3 of the card each time you make one?

Sometimes when we're working full time, we just do not have time to drag everything out to make a wedding card, sympathy card, etc. It's nice to make good use of all those expensive supplies by having a box of ready to use cards.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #263
Insane Embellisher

My biggest regret was the Sizzix Sidekick. Didn't take me long at all to move on to the Cuttlebug which I can do anything with! That Sidekick just sits in a box now......all alone......unloved........and sad.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #264
Matboard Maniac

have u tried taking your punch and punching with alumin foil, this sharpens them?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #265
Matboard Maniac

Did you know that the big shot (the new one) takes all the dies? You just need to purchase the spacers.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #266
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

My story........
I used to be a CM consultant, for 5 years. Never really had a place for anything then the past 2 years my DH and I have finished our basement and now I have a place to create..............but my "regret" is not having a place for so long and now I do, it's finding stuff EVERYWHERE and I mean EVERYWHERE!!! I have just now got it to a point where I don't feel so bogged down and I can be productive. I know there are certain things I have regreted buying, like really cheap paper (serves no purpose!!) But for me it was buying too much of one thing. My Unit Leader with CM use to tell me don't buy it if you are not going to use it immediately. I did not listen
at the time but I sure do now.

My advice, buy WISELY!!

My "Small" Gallery
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #267
Matboard Maniac

I had to chime in and agree with so many of the posters here, on all sides of this discussion. I've just spent 30 minutes reading through almost every page (DH is home on a rain-out day, and can't believe I'm still sitting here, but he did bring me hot coffee ) and there are so many great ideas floating around.
The only things I have that I do sincerely regret buying are SU's Perfect Plaid - I never could get the right look - and a cheap set of Celtic designs - the stamps are cheap, not die cut to the image, and mounted on veneer instead of wood blocks. I just don't have anything else that makes me go, "Oh, why did I spend the money on that?" I just went into my craft room to double check, and honestly, no, I'm really excited about all the stuff that's there now.
I did just within the last few months really clean stuff out, and I had so much fun helping my daughter and youngest son (my 9 year old son wasn't interested...)create scrapbooks of their own from summer pictures. I took over 400 digital pictures in July and August last year, and printed a bunch just on my computer onto plain white cardstock. They a blast for almost a week every day cutting pictures, glue sticking them down, and diving into mom's stash of stickers, papers, and ribbons. They used some of the decorative edge scissors and punches that I haven't used in a long time, too.
The thing I love most about this site is that looking through the gallery, I have gotten a ton of ideas for stamp sets, embellishments, paper combinations, and tools that I can use in new and different ways, and the more I do, the more creative I am! Sometimes I'll see a card and really like it, and I'll realize that I have a tool or stamp set or paper that will allow me to learn from the idea but put my own touch on it, too.
Thanks everyone for all the great inspiration - and I'll be sure and check the BST forum for new additions
Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #268
Insane Embellisher

I regret buying SU! ink pads in full size instead of the spots. If I could do it over again, I'd buy only the neutrals in full size and spots of everything else.

I didn't even know the spots existed when I first began purchasing SU. After using the ones that came in my first punch kit, I was converted, but by then owned too many pads from the various families to justify getting sets of spots.

I know that wouldn't be better for everyone, it would better suit my stamping habits and my available storage space.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #269
Stazon Splitcoast

I regret buying my wheels I even bought the wheel aligner thingy and never used them!!! I tradeed the wheel aligner and unmounted my wheels (LUV it) I use them now.

I also bought Prisma colored pencils and have only used them a handful of times. I don't regret the purchase I just wish I used them more!!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #270
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Ooooh - you should never regret wheels ladies

UNMOUNT THEM!!

I was liberated when I found another SCS who unmounted her wheels I actually use mine now. And I save because I don't have to deal with cartridges or the handle - I just ink with my spots. And you can so easily ink with multiple spots or ink just a portion of the wheel or (if you dare ) cut the wheel up!

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #271
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Here is a tutorial (though really it is quite simple) on how to unmount your wheels:

http://inkydinkydoo.blogspot.com/200...-tutorial.html

She's the one from whom I originally learned it

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #272
Polyshrink Goddess

Paper crimpers. I never use the two I have, what a waste of $.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #273
Matboard Maniac

Do you know reading this post just about sums up the whole consumerism of cardmaking! Most of the unwanted/regreted items have the most ridiculous names-a crimper/brayer/fastenator/colluzle (or whatever). Do you think that a silly name should send off a bell in our heads and make us think..woah, hang on, it's called pearl-ex, what the heck does that mean?

The other thing is that these are all 'must haves'. Crimpers, brayers, chipboard, sizzix, fastenator, eyelets, even copics..most of all copics. I went for alot of Tim Holtz stuff too, daft as I'm summed up best by 'Rose in Winter' or similar, I like vintage but alcohol inks..I searched for best price, got them, so excited, tried once. Now not shiny and new anymore.

These tools are just like in a kitchen when the mixer/liquidiser etc stays in the cupboard as it's too much effort getting it out to make pancakes or whatever.

For me, most of my regrets, and I've already posted a few, are courtesy of QVC I think. The stuff I bought (in my early cardmaking days), card packs like tissue paper but in an enormous variety of browns which they didn't show on screen,peeloffs (horrid gold/silver stickers and so naff), mirri card/board, holographic card/board/paper (what was I thinking), glitter card/paper etc, sheds, sheds and sheds some more and smells odd too. Nothing sticks to it either.

Also, SU has saved me from the onslaught of acrylic stamps. I hate the aethestics and also they are mis shapen when I use them. Don't hold ink right either.

I think we need to learn from all of this. If 'a 'must have', it's a must NOT'. If we go mad trying to get hold of something..ie break speed limits as mentioned...stop...go home..calm down.

I think it's lovely to not have regrets, or think it must be, but wasting money on naff, cheap or worse expensive bits of plastic (that's another clue..plastic) when we could have saved our hard to get money, is something to regret. having a cupboard/box/whatever full of rubbish, is not good for the soul.

i'd love the watercolouring bits from SU to try, but chipboard isn't for me, I never use my brass stencils nor light box, glitter glue, stickers, blossums nor all the ribbon that would go round the world several times. Card packs can join them as can my Tim Holtz stuff, flowersoft, and all the stupid glitter/holographic etc card mentioned above. I may well have a clear out actually, I'd love the money, space and removal of guilt.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #274
Polyshrink Goddess

Are you from the UK blank canvas?
This is just a suggestion. But before a person sells something like their light box or brayer, you might want to looked at the challenges here, for that item. I just might get my crimper out too! I think a lot of times we aren't using something because we aren't seeing it displayed in samples anymore.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #275
Rubber Obsessor

You know nothing beats a good clean out! I think it cleanses the soul and most definitely removes the guilt! Plus my niece thinks I'm amazing giving her lots of crafting goodies that she will use and enjoy! I love to see what she makes from all the stuff I think has no use.

It also creates more space to fill with more goodies though I promise I'll be good and only buy stuff I NEED! That means no more paper, I must learn to use the paper that I've bought. Do you ever find yourself with a gorgeous sheet of paper that you just can't justify using or putting your craft knife/scissors to? I've got to learn that it's only paper - it has no feelings!!!

Aimes
x
Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #276
Mad Swapper

Red face

Here is my list:

way to much patterened paper that I will never use
a crimper
my lightbox
cheap embellishments (like the millions of primary colored carpy buttons I purchased just because they were on clearance)
wire and tools to do stuff with it
chipboard letters & numbers (again on clearance, someday I will learn that even if it is $1 if you don't use it it was to much!)
embossing stuff (dry & heat)
did I mention paper?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #277
Rubber Obsessor

I have two things I am SO Sorry I purchased

1 ATG gun. I'm left handed and it does not like me! Ha ha

2 Stampress I used it once and haven't used it since. Works great but
it isn't for me. Just like my Cricut.

Two good sized items that are taking up my precious space.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #278
Inking Addict

My only regret is that silly Stampress. I thought I would use my wheels more with it... NOT!! I still have it in its original packaging but haven't parted with it yet. After all - she who dies with the most stuff wins! LOL

I have switched to all SU paper and ink so I boxed up all my other brands of CS, paper, ink pads and refills, paper punches etc. and gave them to my DIL who works for the US Dream Academy. It is such a worthwhile organization and the kids go absolutely nuts over everything I have sent over. And if it helps even one child have a better life it is worth its weight in gold.

Katie
Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #279
Matboard Maniac

I like my Cricut, but only use it for scrapbooking titles. So, I'm sorry I invested so much $$$ into cartridges that I never used and ended up selling. I also regret cheap paper and embellishments from the dollar store -- nothing matches that stuff!!! Also, any kind of adhesive tape runners. I don't know what the problem is but I cannot for the life of me get any kind of tape runner adhesive to actually adhere for longer than an hour or two. I also regret that EK Success circle cutter. It cuts circles all right, but I could only cut on whole sheets of cardstock, thereby messing up a whole sheet of paper. The Fastenator, too.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #280
Stazon Splitcoast

Fiskars shape cutter & Provo Silent setter. (I got rid of both)

Other things I regret are the abundance of magazines I have now, albums that I purchased & haven't used. Cheap paper, cardstock & paper kits I just thought I had to have. I have learned to only buy paper when I have a particular project. Cheap stamp pads. I now only like SU & PTI. MM tag maker (I make myself use this thing from time to time, such a gimmick). Last but not least my Karen Foster Scraparatus. I have never used it..

I am a life artist and love it!