Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #1161
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperann View Post
Crop-a-Dile, Stamp-a-Majig, stampin wheels (both regular and jumbo sizes), washi tape (never sticks and stays for me!). The one thing I regret spending so much money on is...stickers! For awhile, I had them everywhere! You name it, I had it. From alphabet to a million different colors and shapes and sizes and activity...I had a sticker (or 10!) for it. Finally one day I unloaded a whole bunch on my son's elementary school and the rest went to a place that stocks after school programs and art classes for kids. It was very freeing to do this!

Believe it or not, I still use my CM Cutting System from time to time when I need a different shape that my dies just can't do. I don't think I will ever part with that.

Never really got into the whole brads/eyelet thing.

Great thread to see resurrected!
When I first got my Cropadile, it was because I had a lot of eyelets and never used them because it was so hard to set those little stinkers. Once I got the Cropadile I made it a point to use the eyelets and now I love eyelets again. Well, I don't actually love them, but at least I use them. I used them on tags but also in the corners of card mats or sentiments. I also use my CM cutting system every now and again, when I need a circle or oval size that my dies don't cut. I resisted buying a Big Shot for years, and now that I have one my CM cutting system is gathering dust for the most part.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #1162
Crimping Master

AWK!! I think most of us regret all those piles of stickers that we bought way back when. I keep finding more sheets of stickers every time I go through my stash, even though I've given away a ton to my granddaughters, the senior center, the neighborhood school, and even sold them at a garage sale.I've tried using them in creative ways by sanding and inking them, or making backgrounds with layered papers and stamping but they still look too much like stickers.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #1163
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I like to use stickers on envelopes for a little extra fun factor.

I still use my Crop-a-Dile and wouldn't like not to have it. DH used it and some old WRMK hardware to improve a pair of motorbike boots just recently.
pepperann and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #1164
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I couldn't even give my crimper away! I finally put it with a bag of other stuff for Goodwill.
Just an FYI if you still have the crimper. I love to use it in place of ribbon. I crimp a thin piece of paper as an accent on a card and it looks lovely.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #1165
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I beat the black gel pen on paper the other night, rolled the ball pen tip sideways on the paper to rub off dried ink, and put a lighter under for just a few seconds to loosen the ink in the pen, and it started working again! Took a lot of effort, but was worth it. Hooray!!! Now I only have to do that maybe thirty more times, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoptownracer1 View Post
Gel pens! I just tried some of mine out, and I bet 99 percent of them are dryed up. I can try beating the tip on paper and see if that helps. (Not right now, hubby is sleeping! lol.) And the funny thing is that two inexpensive little sets *one was Hello Kitty, have held up better than the more expensive ones. I think a lot of my Glaze ones have dried up, but some of my Jelly Roll ones are still working. I bet I am going to be pitching a lot of dried up pens!
I probably bought too many markers and too many stickers. But I love markers, and stickers are so tempting!
Sociologystreet, kazeka and jukie like this post.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 AM   #1166
Cardstock Collector

“Regrets, I’ve had a few...”
*weR memory keepers fuse tool. Bought it, returned one because it didn’t seem to work and the replacement didn’t work well either.
*so many embossing powders. I love the raised look of the powders but MUCH prefer stamping with a versafine black and clear embossing or any colour dye ink, using MISTI to then stamp with versamark then clear embossing. No scatter, one colour powder!
*washi tape. Never use except to hold dies in machine and I’ve got lots
*crease pad, no idea why I bought it
*most embellishments
*most embossing folders. I use a few but have way too many
*square punch and several other punches. They are quicker to use than dies but take up toooo much room
*much patterned paper. Use plain almost exclusively

I’m sure I’ll think of many more things to add to this.
I make cards everyday. My list of things I adore and wouldn’t give up is much bigger than this. My stash has given me so much joy.

Last edited by More crafting; 05-27-2020 at 05:37 AM..
whim6915, Hoboken Paper, Skyeisle and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #1167
Watercolor Wizard

Excited to see this thread resurrected again!
***I keep buying pretty patterned paper. I use some, but so much left over. Back in the day, I bought The Slab. Remember that? Regret!
***Here’s a strange one. I bought a Cuttlebug back in the day, then got a Big Shot, and sold the CB. I regret that. Wish I still had it.
***The Joann’s little plastic things for ribbon storage. You have to take it off the spool, then rewind into the little boxes. They take up less room, but end up too curled. Never finished the system, and regret investing in it.
***Rub on transfers. Decorated one or two things. That’s it.
***Stampin Up ribbon holders. Just took up too much room.
***The Fastenator I think it’s called....the huge stapler. Never used it.
pepperann, Paula in GA and kazeka like this post.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM   #1168
Compulsive Stamper

I regret my Cricut machine and my Silhouette machine. They never seem to cut correctly and it is frustrating to me. I took the time to learn the machines but the blades just wouldn't cooperate consistently.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 AM   #1169
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
***I keep buying pretty patterned paper. I use some, but so much left over. Back in the day, I bought The Slab. Remember that? Regret!
***Here’s a strange one. I bought a Cuttlebug back in the day, then got a Big Shot, and sold the CB. I regret that. Wish I still had it.
***The Joann’s little plastic things for ribbon storage. You have to take it off the spool, then rewind into the little boxes. They take up less room, but end up too curled. Never finished the system, and regret investing in it.

I am so fascinated with your comment on cuttlebug. I’ve only ever owned the big shot and consider it pretty perfect. What made cuttlebug so special?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #1170
Proud Fan Club Member

I missed my Cuttlebug, too (sold it when we moved), so I bought a new one last year when I heard that they were going to be discontinued. I like that it folds up to take up less space and I can't even explain what makes me so happy using it - I guess it's like people who prefer wood-mount stamps over a MISTI or something - it's just a psychological dealie-o... The only place you can find a Cuttlebug now is on eBay (at least that I could see). Sizzix makes a foldaway version of the Big Shot, I understand, but I'm not tempted. I have the regular Big Shot and my 'bug and a Tattered Lace Baby Blue (hands-down my fave), so I'm all good...

Paula in GA, kazeka and More crafting like this post.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #1171
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by More crafting View Post
I am so fascinated with your comment on cuttlebug. I’ve only ever owned the big shot and consider it pretty perfect. What made cuttlebug so special?
Just that it is easier to pull out; takes up less space.
Also, a second machine if I’m making multiples, and working with a friend.
kazeka likes this post.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #1172
Cardstock Collector

That makes sense!
Old 05-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #1173
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by More crafting View Post
“Regrets, I’ve had a few...”
*weR memory keepers fuse tool. Bought it, returned one because it didn’t seem to work and the replacement didn’t work well either.
*so many embossing powders. I love the raised look of the powders but MUCH prefer stamping with a versafine black and clear embossing or any colour dye ink, using MISTI to then stamp with versamark then clear embossing. No scatter, one colour powder!
*washi tape. Never use except to hold dies in machine and I’ve got lots
*crease pad, no idea why I bought it
*most embellishments
*most embossing folders. I use a few but have way too many
*square punch and several other punches. They are quicker to use than dies but take up toooo much room
*much patterned paper. Use plain almost exclusively
I’m sure I’ll think of many more things to add to this.
I make cards everyday. My list of things I adore and wouldn’t give up is much bigger than this. My stash has given me so much joy.
Wow, have you been lurking in my craft room? I concur!
pepperann, ChrisO and More crafting like this post.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #1174
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I had that as well and regretted buying it as I never used it either. It went to a thrift store along with all the staples I'd invested in. What a waste.

I have the Crop-a-dile Big Bite and have never used it. It just sits there collecting dust.

I regret the amount of stickers I collected. I say collected as I rarely used any as another thread I wrote will attest.

I regret many of the wooden stamp purchases I made when I was just starting out. I had waaay to many and I found I just never used a lot of them. They made there way to two different nursing homes when I went through two purges in the last year.

Finally, I regret some of the poor quality supplies I bought when I was first starting out. I recently got rid of a bunch of supplies from Oriental trading Company (paper, brads, and eyelets) because they just looked cheap. I never used them and they were just taking up space.

My tastes have changed and I find that what I once liked, I now don't. I regret the impulse buys I made early in my papercrafting days. I was left with a lot of things that needed new homes. I think I have it under control a little better now. I try to make sure I really love something before it enters my collection.
Paula in GA, lynnewithane and kazeka like this post.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #1175
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I have been reorganizing the closet in my craft room, and found an unopened 'the Slab' in a box I hadn’t touched in probably 6-7 years. Yeah, right into the donate pile...the colors and patterns are definitely a 'what was I THINKING?'.

I still stand by my original major regret from eons ago...the Cricut Gypsy. Waste of money, and such a ripoff with the cartridge linkage. It soured me on Cricut products forever. The new Maker could provide me with custom espresso drinks and hand-dipped chocolates and I still wouldn’t buy it.
gregzgurl, kazeka and kazooMI like this post.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #1176
Crimping Master

Quote:
Yes, I'm loving all the posts and reminders of what many of us bought and just thought we had to have! As for the Slab of paper stacks, I have been using those to make envelopes. I don't even have the Punch board, just use a scoring board that I marked with the correct measurements and reference lines. I turn the paper over so that the blank side it on the outside of the envelope and the pattern is inside. That way I don't have to add a label for the address but the pattern peeks through when the envelope is opened. It's been such a great way to use up those papers I know I'll never use...and I don't regret it as much, since I'm getting use from them.

I'm with you on the various ribbon holders etc. that have come out. They all take up so much room that you would have to have a huge dedicated craft room with custom storage to make it work. Same goes for cute packaging...takes up too much room.
Karen
Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #1177
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
I have been reorganizing the closet in my craft room, and found an unopened 'the Slab' in a box I hadn’t touched in probably 6-7 years. Yeah, right into the donate pile...the colors and patterns are definitely a 'what was I THINKING?'.

I still stand by my original major regret from eons ago...the Cricut Gypsy. Waste of money, and such a ripoff with the cartridge linkage. It soured me on Cricut products forever. The new Maker could provide me with custom espresso drinks and hand-dipped chocolates and I still wouldn’t buy it.
I've resisted buying a Cricut over the years, even though several of my local scrapbooking friends swear by it. They don't make cards, and don't do any stamping at all so it works for them with home decor and scrapbook layouts. I've borrowed theirs when I have an occasional project, such as a baby shower banner, in mind. However, that was enough to realize that I really didn't need another large product taking up room, and that I would only use it about 5 times a year at most.
My old Big Shot suits me just fine!
Karen
ChrisO and Paula in GA like this post.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #1178
Crimping Master

Quote:
Just that it is easier to pull out; takes up less space.
Also, a second machine if I’m making multiples, and working with a friend.
I never thought I would want more than one die cut machine, and that my Big Shot was plenty. However, I won a Spellbinders Platinum 6 in a giveaway and, although I considered giving it to my daughter at first (because who needs a 2nd die cut machine)...I'm so glad I kept it. It's small and folds up, so I keep it next to my Big Shot and use it for use with embossing folders. That way I don't have to switch the platform in my Big Shot and try to find the embossing pad. Projects go more quickly and when I'm not embossing with it, it folds up out of the way. It's the size of the Cuttlebug, so I understand what you mean about it taking up less space.
Karen
lynnewithane, StamperDea and kazooMI like this post.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #1179
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoptownracer1 View Post
Well, I beat the black gel pen on paper the other night, rolled the ball pen tip sideways on the paper to rub off dried ink, and put a lighter under for just a few seconds to loosen the ink in the pen, and it started working again! Took a lot of effort, but was worth it. Hooray!!! Now I only have to do that maybe thirty more times, lol...
You had better luck with your black gel pen than I've had with any of mine! Once my gel pens stopped working (seems like that happened after about only 2 weeks, haha!) that was that. I tried everything above, and more...but no lucky. The only thing that happened was that my pen melted from heat, eek!

I had a ton of metallic gel pens and it was so sad to toss them, but they were useless. Funny thing is, that (as you said) my super cheap pens have remained useable. Even ones that my daughter had as a child, 20 years ago! Sigh...
Karen
Paula in GA likes this post.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:12 AM   #1180
Die Cut Diva

I LOVED MY CUTTLEBUG. When it went to CB heaven I was so sad. I own a BigShot and it's just not the same. I needed a CB replacement. I got the Spellbinders Jane Davenport (Platinum 6) and she has been a good replacement to my beloved Cuttlebug. DH got my BigShot and he can have it. Big clunky dramatic thing with confusing sandwiches. I even use my CB plates in my Platinum 6. Didn't need to change my sandwich recipes. The reason I hate my BigShot it sprains my wrist every time I use it! None of my other cutters has ever done this to me. Sizzix Big Shot every single time. What is funny the Platinum 6 is a more powerful cutter and seems to be ergonimically made better like the Cuttlebug.

I love my gel pens. I have so many it's embarassing, lol.

I just bought some Nuvo drops. I regret buying that bottle. No thank you. I don't like them. Even my DH told me "The ones you make look nicer." That settled it, ROFL.

I regret buying some ink pads. I always go for my standard "art" inks. I have these really cheap ombre colors I adore. The rest of my ink pads. Why? I have no clue why I own these. I wished I balanced my digitals better with my stamping. I am watching this really sweet YT and she said this about stamping "She hates getting ink all over her!" Last night I had ink all over me and I was like "Yuck!" I thought about her and started laughing. I love to stamp but I can't remember the last time I had beautiful long nails. Need to learn to balance doing my digitals, nail art and stamping better. I would like to not get so inky, ROFL!

Another funny one I just bought alcohol ink blending solution. It was a replacement to the one that my cat decided to throw away. I was playing with it last night and I thought to myself "Why is this special?" I got bottles of hand sanitizer this week. Multiple bottles. I am so lucky. I am not joking about that part. I was so grateful to get hand sanitizer. When my girlfriend gave it to me I started crying, lol. I used some of that precious hand sanitizer last night and it worked better than my blending solution. Go figure? I swore my last bottle of blending solution was thicker. This bottle seems thinner.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
kazeka likes this post.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:56 AM   #1181
Cardstock Collector

These regrets responses are just so interesting. I had no idea that there was something better than the big shot (I knew some people like electric machines but that didn’t matter really to me) and here you all are educating me. And nuvo drops, I like them as I like to make my own “dots” but you have something you make better ones with...what is it?
Oh, another regret I have is nuvo glitter paste and some mousse paste, I love the looks but they dry out way too quickly. A waste of money!
Paula in GA and kazeka like this post.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #1182
Die Cut Diva

Nuvo Drops- Diamond Glaze, Glossy Accent, Pouring Medium. I can even mix those items with alcohol inks, dye inks, other art mediums. Perfect drops every time. They feel like real enamel drops.

To be fair I own a lot of art mediums, ink refills, bottles and those kind of items to make Nuvo drops. Is making my own Nuvo drops a money saver? It is for me because I already own these items. If a stamper does not own those items buying a bottle of Nuvo drops is cheaper, especially if you buy the white lines then you can color them. I didn't like the consistency and texture of Nuvo drops.

Not hating on Nuvo drops. It wasn't a good fit for me.

More crafting likes this post.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:59 AM   #1183
Rubber Obsessor

I regret buying this stamp set: https://www.clearlybesottedstamps.co...-out-loud-baby Why? When I organized my clear stamps this weekend, I realized I'd bought the same set twice. I'm just really happy it was only one set.

Last edited by ComradeBunny; 06-01-2020 at 06:47 AM..
lynnewithane likes this post.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #1184
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a question. I bought White Nuvo Drops to do this, but when I added color dye ink to the while it did not work. Does it have to be Alcohol Ink that is added? Thanks. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
Nuvo Drops- Diamond Glaze, Glossy Accent, Pouring Medium. I can even mix those items with alcohol inks, dye inks, other art mediums. Perfect drops every time. They feel like real enamel drops.

To be fair I own a lot of art mediums, ink refills, bottles and those kind of items to make Nuvo drops. Is making my own Nuvo drops a money saver? It is for me because I already own these items. If a stamper does not own those items buying a bottle of Nuvo drops is cheaper, especially if you buy the white lines then you can color them. I didn't like the consistency and texture of Nuvo drops.

Not hating on Nuvo drops. It wasn't a good fit for me.

If you would like to see my cards, please click here

Gallery updated Aug 30, 2019
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #1185
Glitter Queen

Ranger Glossy Accents -- I kept going back thinking the Next bottle wouldn't abuse me. Duh.

Nuvo Crystal Glaze is perfection! LOL
poppydarling likes this post.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #1186
Die Cut Diva

LMStamps- Yes use alcohol inks or alcohol markers to change your colors.

LMstamps likes this post.