Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #1041
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgolbyView Post
I regret unmounting my wood SU stamps. Agree w/ previous poster about how gummy they are now which makes them difficult to use. With the latest redesign of the wood cases I'm may give wood stamps another try. The stamps won't fall off like my clear mount stamps have the tendency to do.
After you removed them from the wood blocks did you remount them on the clear mount foam backing? If so what kind of backing did you use?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #1042
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgolbyView Post
I regret unmounting my wood SU stamps. Agree w/ previous poster about how gummy they are now which makes them difficult to use. With the latest redesign of the wood cases I'm may give wood stamps another try. The stamps won't fall off like my clear mount stamps have the tendency to do.
That's too bad. I unmounted all my wooden stamps years ago, and they're all still holding up just fine/like new. I did put them on cling foam though.

On a few of them, the cling side of the foam doesn't cling anymore, so I put a tiny, tiny dab of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over glue on them, and that solved the problem beautifully. I'm sure washing them really well would have solved that too, but I just used the glue.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #1043
Matboard Maniac

It's been a few years ago so I'm not positive how I did it but I think I just peeled off the foam from the wooden blocks. Then I peeled off the sticker & positioned it on the foam. I did use the Alene's tacky glue but maybe I didn't apply it correctly because when I use a stamp all the glue peels off the sticker & sticks to acrylic block. Not too concerned because these are pretty outdated stamp sets & I don't use them very often. I think for resale purposes keeping them on the wooden blocks would have been better.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #1044
Gabfest Goddess

Uh oh...Now I want one of these. Where is the best on-line place to buy this? LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonstamperView Post
I have the red ATG and zero problems, however I did learn today at michaels that I have been buying the 2 refills of acid free for 16.99 Canadian and I see they have the non acid free for 9.99 for 2 rolls! I do bathe scrapbook and cards but think I will buy the cheaper stuff for the cards and MAYBE buy a second one with acid free......of course with a coupon

Oh and I forgot to add to my LOVE list.....my dreamcuts by zutter. A necessity for all card makers....cuts so nice and even and clean.

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #1045
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonstamperView Post
I have the red ATG and zero problems, however I did learn today at michaels that I have been buying the 2 refills of acid free for 16.99 Canadian and I see they have the non acid free for 9.99 for 2 rolls! I do bathe scrapbook and cards but think I will buy the cheaper stuff for the cards and MAYBE buy a second one with acid free......of course with a coupon

Oh and I forgot to add to my LOVE list.....my dreamcuts by zutter. A necessity for all card makers....cuts so nice and even and clean.
I purchased the red ATG first and I use the acid free tape in it as I use it for scrapbooking. When I first purchased it, I couldn't get the hang of it and felt as though the tape was going to slide right off the roller. So I didn't use it for a long time. After playing with it and seeing what a great tool it was, I then purchased (with a coupon) the pink ATG and use general purpose tape in this for cards and such. And I totally agree with your reivew of the DreamKutz by Zutter.

LM, I purchased mine many years ago at Archivers. But I know friends of mine have purchased online~~just not sure where on line!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #1046
Polyshrink Goddess

I regret buying so many packs of SU paper instead of some individual sheets. I have so much paper that I have never used and likely won't since many of the colors are no longer current. Thinking I may stick to individual sheets from a store.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #1047
Embossing Fanatic

There's not much I buy and don't use, I'm really careful about what I buy, there's been a few pads of papers over the years which I've passed on to other crafters but that's been it...oh except I bought the 8" X.Cut Guillotine then replaced it with the 12" one, it's so much better, I'm sure my daughter will make good use of my 8" one when she gets into her crafting again.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #1048
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastersdegreeView Post
I regret buying so many packs of SU paper instead of some individual sheets. I have so much paper that I have never used and likely won't since many of the colors are no longer current. Thinking I may stick to individual sheets from a store.
Are you an SU demo? Is this why you can't use non-current paper???

I use old SU paper all the time, I still have the original 1st year In Color
Allistamps123 likes this post.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #1049
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Are you an SU demo? Is this why you can't use non-current paper???

I use old SU paper all the time, I still have the original 1st year In Color
Another good use of the envelope board. Use a coordinating pattern or color.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #1050
Inking Addict

My big regret right now is buying the whole set of Spectrum Noir pens. They were not as costly as Copics, but still the whole set was spendy. I've had problems with the pens drying up after very little use. They just came out with a new generation of Spectrum pens with caps that prevent them from drying out. I love the pens but I can't justify buying another set.
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #1051
Crimping Master

Ditto. I am very disappointed and told them so. I finished my set only about a week before they announced the new ones.
Grumpygirl73 likes this post.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #1052
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Bostonstamper - I forgot all about my Dreamcuts!!! I need to break this machine out
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #1053
Glitter Guru

I need to use my Dreamcuts too!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #1054
Insane Embellisher

What is Dreamcuts?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #1055
Rubber Obsessor

I love my dreamkuts...use it quite often. Makes doing cuts in bulk so much easier.

Dreamkuts
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #1056
Embossing Fanatic

Just got done reading this thread! Phew!

I've always paper crafted by myself, so it was really interesting to read what others have to say. I absolutely love the DCWV paper stacks! I like how in each there are several coordinating papers, makes it easy to pull a card together. I also think I've used my little Studio G clear stamp sets more than any other brand. It helps that they fit perfectly in a little box on my desk, very easy to flip through and find the perfect little something.

I received most of my stamping stuff from my Aunt who was a SU demonstrator, but the things I've really not used are the Fiskars paper crimper and a little lightbox. Maybe if I looked for some neat projects made with them? I do like having them though just in case.

I don't use the plastic shape templates anymore... heart, star, oval... just not my style. They don't take up much space though. Same with all the stickers I still have... I've made it my mission to use them up in a tasteful way... it's a challenge!

I went through all my SU sets a while ago and sold a bunch on eBay and craigslist, haven't regretted selling them at all! I do love my stamps though, even the ones I don't use that often.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #1057
Cardstock Collector

I would be interested in purchasing someones stamp ma jig if they are interested in selling.

For those of you who have said that they sell their unwanted items, might I ask where you sell them? Any help in destashing would be most appreciated.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #1058
Die Cut Diva

I stopped buying paper stacks when I lived at my old place. Now, I am buying them again because I am using the paper packs in my altered projects. I can't get enough of paper packs now.

I love the little Studio G clear stamps too. I agree they are just perfect for the little something. They are so cute too.

Can't live without my paper trimmer. I need my light box. My light box is near me all the time.

I had the plastic shape templates & I gave them to somebody. I regret it. I am a template kind of girl. Live and learn.

Stickers!!!!!! Sticker love here. I have more stickers than stamps. I love making them too.

I use to have regrets. I kind of look at each thing I bought as a learning experience. I guess my big regret is buying big tools. I am a tiny tool kind of girl.

This is one of my favorite threads on here. I look through it all the time before I buy something to get the good, bad & ugly.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #1059
Forum Fanatic

I'm in the process of updating my supply inventory book and I'm finding products I didn't use and now they are dry. Some of the unused items because new products came out that I like better and others because I just never do the techniques anymore. Regrets:

Chalk - I way to much and never use it anymore

Marvy Brush markers - I still like them for color on stamps but I don't do it enough(15 dry markers)

Distress Markers - not all that different and I'm not fond of the colors and I have the whole set

Twinkling H2Os - did I really need so many colors?

Ranger Adirondack Paint Dabbers - they dry out to fast, the sponge top clogs even though I wash them after use (6 went to the trash)

Ribbon - why oh why so much ribbon when I really only use it once in awhile

Perfect Pearls - never used any more

Lesson learned - style change over time and I need to be more aware that what I buy it needs to be done with caution and a look towards the future. It hurts to see what I've wasted.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #1060
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxmommyView Post
I would be interested in purchasing someones stamp ma jig if they are interested in selling.

For those of you who have said that they sell their unwanted items, might I ask where you sell them? Any help in destashing would be most appreciated.
If you have a local stamp/scrapbook store ask them if they hold rummage sales. How it works at our local store, you bring your items already marked with the sale price. You do not receive cash for your sales, instead you receive store credit. At the end of the rummage sale you can either pick up your unsold items or leave them to be donated to various charities.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #1061
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by laxmommyView Post

Sending you PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 PM   #1062
Die Cut Diva

I made so many mistakes in my last post for this thread. I forgot to quote and I was replying to delacroix's thread. I meant paper crimper and I said paper trimmer. I don't even own a paper trimmer, lol. I haven't been feeling good this week so I am goofier than usual.

stamphappy- Thank you for writing about the Distress Markers & Paint Dabbers. I was going to pick up one or two. I am grateful for your comments.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #1063
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by boobookittysgrannyView Post
I have read this WHOLE thread in the last couple of days. It was great reading and very interesting to get peoples opinion's about so many things.

My regrets would be:
stickers, massive amount of cheap paper, clear $1 sets, some SU sets and alot of cheap embellishments that I won't ever use.
I have been reading this thread all day and laughing. It makes me feel soooo much better to see some things never change. Haha. Looks like this thread started over 5 years ago. I can't wait to get to the current items people regret buying.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #1064
Stazon Splitcoast

Note: I posted the previous post when I was only on page 17.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1065
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

What have I regretted buying?

1. Table Top Paper Cutter's. The cheap ones. They don't cut straight at all!
The blades go dull to fast.

2. Cheap Designer Paper. It doesn't hold up well.

3. Spending way to much money on things...I thought I would use. and never have.

(Basement craft room corner is packed with this type of stuff.)

I get a bright idea....And think oh I can make that.......I buy the stuff.....Get home with it.........put in my stamp room......and there it sits.........It's still there.

Ribbon... Oh Yes! I have it too. Lot's of it.... I will never run out of it.

It's just like the Designer Paper.... I have a lot of that too. Some given to me. Some I won. and some of I bought.

Now that I'm with Stampin Up! I've been buying more stuff.... But that's ok. Cause I'm using them. I need to purchase more Midnight Muse Cardstock. Cause it's my favorite color!
kaygee47 likes this post.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #1066
Kookie Creator

I regret buying stickers. Have a rubbermaid container ( the kind that holds blankets) full of them. A lot are going to the children's hospital. I was into scrapbooking many years ago. Then I was ill and spent 6 years in bed. I bought hundreds of dollars of the 8.5x11 paper( made many trips to Scrapbook Superstore in Sevierville TN) bought too many templates and other stuff. Never used any of this stuff. A lot of it going on ebay. Some of the paper I'll keep and make cute envelopes. I love pretty paper. Now I only buy 2 pieces of patterned paper at a time. That will force me to use it before buying anymore. I'll stick with solid card stock from SU for card base and M's card stock for layering, punches, stamping ect.

Tara Stampin Up Demo in training
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #1067
Cardstock Collector

Haha, I love this thread! I've had this hobby for some 10 years now and I have collected a number of skeletons in the closet too, over the years. First of all I regret buying anything that I would not have bought otherwise, just because it was on sale. Other purchases I regret are:

*Anything by Fiskars, except for a couple of border punches that I actually like. This includes embossing templates, both the soft and the hard ones, cutting templates, cutting tool, handheld cutting knife etc. I bought those things back in the old days while there were still no fabulous nesting dies available.
*Brass embossing templates, no further explanation required.
*Epic Six with that Letterpress thingy (that I used once and deemed useless) - a failure of epic proportions. At first the handle fell off, the mats curled (both the old and the new ones offered by QK so I finally bought the genius platform), the plastic cover cracked and now after six years the gears stopped working, completely worn out. Rest in peace, or something.
*Marvy Le Plume pens. I simply don't like coloring enough which means that they finally dried out after almost no use (so just recently I bought a pack of Spectrum Noirs instead. Yeah.)
*Lots of ugly, patterned paper. I have given myself a paper restriction since a couple of years, but the pile is not shrinking amazingly quickly...
*Lots of cheap, colored cardstock.
*Craft Robo that I bought in 2007, never really used that much (so last year I bought a Silhouette Cameo instead. Uhm, yeah.)
*Bulky Sizzix alphabets. Thank god not so many, because Oh boy they require some space.
*Several Quickutz alphabets that look very pretty but I don't use them often enough to motivate the money spent. They have become collector items rather than actual tools.
*Stickers and rubons. Thank god, not that much, but still too much.
*Chipboard letters. Really, what are you supposed to do with the X's and the Z's?
*Uninspiring magazines and books on cardmaking/scrapbooking.

My best buys so far are probably:
*My honeybee pair of scissors. Basically the only thing I *really* need.
*Qk alphabets Ck Typist and Snow Angel. I have used them a lot and they have served me well.
*My Big Shot from 2007. Bulky but still works as a charm.
*Nesting circles and other basic die shapes.
*My Cheery Lynn French doily die. Still in love with it.
*Scotch glue. The best.
*Fineline black pens.
*Tim Holtz distress ink pads and my black Memento ink pad.

Last edited by katolsster; 05-30-2016 at 03:08 PM..
Paula in GA and Arlene_C like this post.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #1068
Die Cut Diva

I Regretted buying too many decorative paper punches. You know how it is when one is great 10 must be 10X greater
The recipients of my cards never noticed I had any new punches
Eventually most went to the Good Will.

As long as I liked the colors I managed to use up the ugly patterned paper by cutting intricate die shapes. The cut out parts hide the ugly designs .
Arlene_C, jukie and wavejumper like this post.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 AM   #1069
Insane Embellisher

I regret having bought the Silhouette . . . I wanted it with a burning passion, talked about it incessantly, lusted after the projects made with it and finally got it as a Mother's Day gift a few years ago. I tried and tried to use it successfully, didn't, and finally threw in the towel and sold it. Perhaps its because of my space limitations and the fact that I had to pull it out and set it up every time I wanted to use it instead of being able to leave it out, but it just didn't work for me. I'm still impressed with the projects I see made with it, but will admire them from afar.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Arlene_C and Anne Ryan like this post.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #1070
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I regret having bought the Silhouette . . . I wanted it with a burning passion, talked about it incessantly, lusted after the projects made with it and finally got it as a Mother's Day gift a few years ago. I tried and tried to use it successfully, didn't, and finally threw in the towel and sold it. Perhaps its because of my space limitations and the fact that I had to pull it out and set it up every time I wanted to use it instead of being able to leave it out, but it just didn't work for me. I'm still impressed with the projects I see made with it, but will admire them from afar.
I regret buying my Silhouette too. I can cut with a metal die so much faster than fiddling with the Cameo . It is too much rigamarole for me . I thought it would replace metal dies and I would save money -- That did not happen .

I am sure an electronic cutter is nice for people who make multiples of cards or 3D projects, like to cut words or phases or like to design their own images .
buggainok and Arlene_C like this post.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #1071
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I regret buying my Silhouette too. I can cut with a metal die so much faster than fiddling with the Cameo . It is too much rigamarole for me . I thought it would replace metal dies and I would save money -- That did not happen .

I am sure an electronic cutter is nice for people who make multiples of cards or 3D projects, like to cut words or phases or like to design their own images .
Thanks, Barbara Jay . . . you've made me feel better about my Silhou-inability.

buggainok, Arlene_C and MamaSchwich like this post.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #1072
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ever since I started making cards I've been tempted from time to time to get some kind of electronic cutter, first it was the Cricut, then the Silhouette. I'm glad I resisted, because I know I would be just like you, Barbara. I really don't have the patience to learn about the electronic machines. I'll stick with my dies and Cuttlebug, or fussy cut when necessary.

And as far as saving time with those machines - I didn't take up a hobby to save time, lol. I do this because I enjoy the creative process.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
BA, Paula in GA, lynnewithane and 5 others like this post.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #1073
Hardware Hotshot

Katolsster, that is quite a list.
I am a sale fanatic, so I understand that comment about buying thing you wouldn't have bought if they weren't on sale. The last few tines I've been to A.C.Moore, they've had a bin of Sizzix dies for $6.88, or something like that. I keep looking, but so far I haven't bought one.
I too regret buying some ugly paper in the beginning, but I did use some for bulletin board backgrounds at school.
I also bought the Marvy Markers way back when. I used them some, but quit when I bought my Stampin Up markers, which I love!
I am happy to say that I don't make nearly as many mistakes now as I did 10 years ago.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #1074
Mad Swapper

Biggest regret is buying stamp sets for just one stamp. That and mounds of cheap paper. Never again on either. That and this one punch I have that I have no idea why I bought. And that was only 2 months ago lol. Dont know what I was thinking!
lynnewithane likes this post.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #1075
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I can beat both of you lovely ladies because I bought a Cricut and a LOT of cartridges, took classes, bought a Gypsy and still couldn't get the darn thing figured out. Gave that to my DIL and bought a Silhouette because I thought that would be easier to use and justified it by thinking of all the money I would "save" by not buying metal dies - you can guess how that is working.. I do feel pangs of guilt everytime I buy another set of dies though, so there's that....
Old 06-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #1076
Glitter Guru

Distress crayons (though I love other Distress products). Gelatos are more versatile for me.

Beautiful albums; I discovered I'm not a documenter. : (

A second Cropodile when I couldn't find the first. (The first popped up yesterday. How did it get in that box?)

A variety of adhesive runners before discovering "my" stamp runner (pink Tombow), though none were expensive and I think that adhesive journey had to happen.

I *just* bought a Silhouette Portrait on sale for $99.99 and hope it doesn't sit! LOL

Years ago gourd carving/burning tools. I even took a class.

Like most people, probably, some stamps.

I'm trying to be intentional now but my intentions seem to grow like kudzu in Florida.
Paula in GA and StamperDea like this post.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #1077
Polyshrink Goddess

Twinkling H2Os....bought a ton of them when the company was going to go out of business some years back. Used one color one time. What a waste. Might list them on the B/S page. No sense in keeping them if I've never used them.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #1078
Polyshrink Goddess

If. Haven't already said it. I regret buying washi tape. What a waste. And no matter what I try to do - I can never find a matching design to a project I am doing
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #1079
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
If. Haven't already said it. I regret buying washi tape. What a waste. And no matter what I try to do - I can never find a matching design to a project I am doing
So funny how we all regret different things. I love, love, love washi tape and find it really easy to use.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #1080
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
So funny how we all regret different things. I love, love, love washi tape and find it really easy to use.
Really! This thread could be one huge swap!
Paula in GA likes this post.