Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #921
Polyshrink Goddess

I also bought cheap cardstock and designer paper when I first started paper crafting in 2003. When I was substitute teaching, a program for 18 to 21 year olds with behavior problems ( special ed EBD) was doing card making with very little materials. Yet the district expected the staff and students to make money doing this. I brought a box of stuff in and they were very happy to get it.
Elementary schools and art teachers are a good place for donating paper you don't want.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #922
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarhanView Post
My Cricut for sure! I never use it! I wish I had spent the money on other things!
Me too! I could kick myself every time I look at it sitting in my craft space. I have so much money invested in that darn Cricut and now I'm having a hard time selling it. I keep thinking of all the other things I could have spent my money on.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #923
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

I regret stickers too and that darn rotary circle cutter. hate tht it punctures a hole in the middle of my circle! Bought a pack of circle dies and I am not using those horrors ever again.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #924
Kookie Creator

Default Karen Foster Snap Stamps

Ugh! I am cleaning out my craft room and these snap stamps take up too much space. I've only used them a few times. It's time to get rid of all the stuff that is taking up space!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #925
Inking Addict

spectrum noir makers I can't get the tops off
Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #926
Rubber Obsessor

Most recently the movers and shakers dies from PTI. The DT talked me into it and now here they sit unused and unloved. May have to sell them. LOL
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #927
Cardstock Collector

I'm so glad this thread resurfaced! I have enjoyed reading all 24 pages!
I really don't regret buying anything. I think my purchases through and try not to buy on impluse. I have a minimal amount of supplies. It looks like a lot combined in one room.
But, I didn't have to own every prima flower, every color of embossing powders etc...

The only regret I have is buying the sew easy. It is cheaply made. It doesn't go through card stock and the plastic heads wear down. I have yet to get a good run with out the paper wrinkling or tearing. I like the concept but I think the heads should have been made from metal not plastic. I have the pink pad and several heads of it. But, none of them do me any good because it just doesn't work.
I made my decision to purchase it because some reputable people said it was so awesome and talked it up. Only to find out it really stinks.

Other than that I am happy with my purchases. I haven't used everything yet but I will.
I look at if from a man's perspective. They have to have certain tools to do the job. They don't use all their tools all of the time. They have them when they have a repair to make, or a project that they want to do. So for me it is no different I have the tools I need to get my projects done. Some of my tools and supplies are not necessarily going to be used on a daily,weekly or on monthly basis.
I am happy with the choices I have made so far. Not bad for only one bad purchase. I've been hard at this for about 12yrs now. I have always done projects all of my life but since the kids grew up and moved on their own. I have been really getting more time to do the craft.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #928
Compulsive Stamper

Although I have 'stuff' put away that I never use and items that I have given away, I don't really regret any of my purchases as I loved and used them when I first bought them. Taste and fashion both change, but at the moment I am starting to use items that I have not used in a long time such as eyelets and tea bag folding. Like friends I don't need to neglect my old ones just because someone/something new appears on the scene.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #929
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
The only thing I can think of offhand is the SU! wheel guide. I used it once, then it just lay around. Since then I've unmounted all my wheels, so I don't need it at all!
Anyone interested in that, jumbo and regular wheel handles, and a Swirly wheel? They're all for sale! LOL!
What does one do with unmounted wheels?

?????????????????????????
Old 05-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #930
Stampin' Fool

I take my stamps off the wheels and put them on Clear-Mount Cling Foam. Then I use them on acrylic blocks.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #931
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleenView Post
I **LOVE** this thread!

I am still glad I didn't buy:
Cricut
Bind It All
Hodgepodge Hardware
Tearing Edge Ruler
Wheel Guide

I have come to the conclusion that Michael's coupons have a lot to do with my regrets. I find myself wandering around looking for something I don't need because I can get 40% off of it! I bought a lot of the big thick Creating Keepsakes Scrapbooking books that were originally $20 at Mike's because of the coupons. Never looked at them. They sat in a box for over a year and finally I put them on ebay for about $5 apeice. I mailed them off and never looked back.

I got the SU Watercolor Crayons as part of my hostess benes - never used them. Those went on ebay.

After 3 years I realized that I just don't have the upper body strength to use a Sizzix. That went the way of ebay, along with a load of dies and the carousel thing that was collecting dust on my dining room table.

Most of my unused SU sets are from Sell-a-bration. Great - a free set. Not great - it's ugly and I'll never use it.

I just got a ScorPal as a half price item from TAC and the jury is still out on that one. I've used it a couple of times but I don't hear the angels sing when it use it. It's ok but it seems liek a pain in the neck to drag that big thing out of the drawer when I have a Fiskars paper trimmer with a scoring blade right in front of me.

I will not look at any other die cut machines that they invent, even if it also vacuums the rug, walks the dog and folds the laundry!

What a hoot - I just "re-found" this thread! Four years after I first responded I am still feeling exactly the same way! And then some.......
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #932
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I have come to the conclusion that Michael's coupons have a lot to do with my regrets. I find myself wandering around looking for something I don't need because I can get 40% off of it!
Me too except I go to Joann where I can use as many different coupons as I can find. Mikes' only lets me use 1 coupon per day.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #933
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

We are so different from our men . . .

Our husbands don't go in their garages and say, "I bought that sander and used it only once. I should think of a project to use it on or sell it!" They are happy to have the right tools ready on-hand for when their next project calls for them.

Why are we beating ourselves up because we used something once or twice?
I know someone in my family will need a hole through something tough (Crop-a-dile) or a change from one color to another on a paper (brayer) or a book made (BIA) . . . the list goes on and on.

I TOTALLY get the stuff that is awful, broken, useless, and hated. Of course, get rid of that stuff. But cut yourselves a break and consider the other things "tools" in your "garage!"
weloveour3sons likes this post.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #934
Stazon Splitcoast

just so happens that a couple weeks ago, I punched a hole in DH's belt - with my Crop-a-dial. he as impressed.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #935
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
just so happens that a couple weeks ago, I punched a hole in DH's belt - with my Crop-a-dial. he as impressed.
I get called on each new college school year to punch holes in my kids' and their friends' student ID's so they can hang them on key chains, lanyards, etc. Love my Crop-a-dial even if I don't do quite so many eyelets as I used to!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #936
Rubber Obsessor

Here is how I prevent over-buying:

1. I put my newly purchased SU stamp sets in a stack on the craft table.
2. I print out some ideas for the sets from Splitcoast gallery
3. I mount each set
4. I make 8 cards with each set from the ideas I printed.
5. I put the stamps on the shelf with the others

When the stack is 3 feet high, I know I need to slow down the buying and speed up the crafting!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #937
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
I saw a new thread, where a new stamper is trying to whittle down her wish list. Fun thread! I was thinking about all the stuff I bought when I started out stamping; lots of things I didn't need, nor do I use now.

My ATG gun comes to mind....probably great for scrapbookers...but not for me, when it comes to cards. I'll have to sell it. I also regret buying the nesties and half my cuttlebug folders! Yes! It's true. I like the look of them...but I just don't use them enough to warrant the money I spent on them. (maybe it has to do with the fact, I use my cuttlebug on the floor due to a poor work space....oww...my back)

What do you have buyers remorse over??

REALLY????? I use my ATG gun ALL THE TIME! I am mostly a card maker as well and I love my ATG!! I also use my cuttlebug folders all the time. And I feel for you, I usually have my BigShot sitting on my lap to use it!! I have a smallish work space as well. (Well if I cleared it off more often it wouldn't be so bad...but that's besides the point!)
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #938
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRKIDDOView Post
REALLY????? I use my ATG gun ALL THE TIME! I am mostly a card maker as well and I love my ATG!! I also use my cuttlebug folders all the time. And I feel for you, I usually have my BigShot sitting on my lap to use it!! I have a smallish work space as well. (Well if I cleared it off more often it wouldn't be so bad...but that's besides the point!)
I'm with you GRKIDDO. I have two ATG guns, one for scrapping and one for cards. Cards ATG is loaded with regular tape while Scrap book ATG is loaded with acid free tape.
2016-230/250, 2017-183/200, 2018-207/150
2019-176/200
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #939
Compulsive Stamper

Default what, regret? moi?

non! non regrets NEVER, ever ever. Well ok maybe not "never" but not presently! haha... i love every little thing in my supplies, tools and stash!

WAIT. i did think of two EK Martha Stewart punches that didn't work well at all. bumblebee and large snowflake. oh well. every time i think of tossing them, though, i think... "hey, i could get (dh) to punch it when i need something...?" that is bad, isn't it? -self-proclaimed crafting shopper/hoarder
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #940
Compulsive Stamper

Heart agreed...

yes, i'm there... i have both types of tape for my ATG and just need to buy a second one. i love my atg, and i do both scrapping and cardmaking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I'm with you GRKIDDO. I have two ATG guns, one for scrapping and one for cards. Cards ATG is loaded with regular tape while Scrap book ATG is loaded with acid free tape.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #941
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmtaylorView Post
spectrum noir makers I can't get the tops off
I have the same problem! Grrrr
Old 06-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #942
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgeansView Post
What does one do with unmounted wheels?

?????????????????????????
If they have words I cut out each word and turn them into single stamps

For example the Jolly Jingels wheel makes 16 stamps. Considering the price of wheels it's a great bargin and now I use my wheels a lot more than I did before I cut them up.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #943
Polyshrink Goddess

I am still on the fence about the Genesis platform. On the one hand, it has a large area, so I can really do a lot of cutting at one time the Stacks are much easier than using the tabs with the BS platform. But is all that really worth the $50 I spent? Not sure yet.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #944
Rubber Obsessor

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
If they have words I cut out each word and turn them into single stamps

For example the Jolly Jingels wheel makes 16 stamps. Considering the price of wheels it's a great bargin and now I use my wheels a lot more than I did before I cut them up.
But I love to wheel a whole sheet of 12x12 for a scrapbook page. The jumbo wheels do this quick!

Problems if I unmount:
* I have to stamp a bunch of individual images--that will take FOREVER!
* I have to keep it all in a line when the wheels go in lines naturally
* I have to keep inking it up when the cartridges do that constantly

BLECH! I don't think i'm a fan of unmounting wheels!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #945
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgeansView Post
But I love to wheel a whole sheet of 12x12 for a scrapbook page. The jumbo wheels do this quick!

Problems if I unmount:
* I have to stamp a bunch of individual images--that will take FOREVER!
* I have to keep it all in a line when the wheels go in lines naturally
* I have to keep inking it up when the cartridges do that constantly

BLECH! I don't think i'm a fan of unmounting wheels!
Unmounting is not for everyone but for someone like me who never used my wheels it's wonderful. I don't scrapbook and I could never wheel straight even with the wheel guide. I'd rather have a lot of individual stamps I use than a wheel that sits on the shelf unused and unloved. Having so many options is why love to stamp.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #946
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Unmounting is not for everyone but for someone like me who never used my wheels it's wonderful. I don't scrapbook and I could never wheel straight even with the wheel guide. I'd rather have a lot of individual stamps I use than a wheel that sits on the shelf unused and unloved. Having so many options is why love to stamp.
Think I might use wheels more often if I unmount them. Just wondering how do you store them?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #947
Embossing Fanatic

I took the rubber stamp off the wheel. I then mounted the rubber strip on a piece of stamp mounting foam ( it comes in sheets about 8.5 x 11 inches). Gina K sells an acrylic block that is long and narrow enough. Perfect solution ! Now they are great for borders etc and I don't have to use the wheel and guide that never worked well for me.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #948
Stampin' Fool

I store mine in the Clear-Mount Stamp Cases from Stampin' Up. SU also has the blocks and the Clear-Mount Cling Foam that I use for these. There is a thread on SCS where people post the inserts for the stamp cases so that they look consistent with your other stamp cases.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #949
Embossing Fanatic

My acrylic block from Gina K is 8 inches onlg and 2.5 inches wide. SU has an acrylic block that size ??? My wheel stamps are too long to fit on the SU block
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #950
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by !Allison!View Post
Think I might use wheels more often if I unmount them. Just wondering how do you store them?
I use th Univenture binder system and all my unmounted stamps are stored on pages like this
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #951
Cardstock Collector

My new regret is upgrading my original cricut to the cricut expression 2. I've had nothing but problems with this thing! It won't work with my gypsy and Provo Craft just gives me the 'we are working on it' speech. But even using it w/o the computer or gypsy is difficult, my original with the 6" mat was a 'take it out of the box and cut' and this one with the fancy display and 12" mat is 'watch videos and tutorials" till I can't stand it no more!!! I just want it to work like my original.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #952
Rubber Obsessor

I think I have replied to this thread before but I also wanted to add that I regret buying so much 12x12 paper. I started off making cards and and thought it would transition into scrapbooking,but it hasn't so far. I also wish I didn't buy so many embellishments on clearance just because they were $1. I never used them either.
I recently did a huge purge and gave all my unwanted stuff to the wife one of my husband's co-workers and she loved it! It felt good to get rid of all that stuff dragging me down and make room for stuff I'll actually use
Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #953
Polyshrink Goddess

My regret is buying "cheap" paper pads....stacks and stacks and stacks of them. I've donated some, used some as wrapping paper, use them to protect my desk when I stamp...but I have tons of paper like this, all because of those crazy cheap stacks. Those are my biggest regrets.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #954
Stampin' Fool

Wire.....'nuff said!!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #955
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
My regret is buying "cheap" paper pads....stacks and stacks and stacks of them. I've donated some, used some as wrapping paper, use them to protect my desk when I stamp...but I have tons of paper like this, all because of those crazy cheap stacks. Those are my biggest regrets.
I have quite a few stack packs also. I use them to make envelopes with my handy dandy Martha Stewart envelope template. Really quick and easy to make. I put the pattern on the inside and white outside.

You would be surprised how some of those patterns you would never ever use for a card will make a pretty envelope!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #956

Tough question! Even though I love it, I'd have to say the doily die from SU. It is such a pain to get it cut out and all the little pieces punched out, and there are always a few pieces I have to attack with the xacto knife. I sent the first one back, so I can't do anything else except fight with it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #957
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Tough question! Even though I love it, I'd have to say the doily die from SU. It is such a pain to get it cut out and all the little pieces punched out, and there are always a few pieces I have to attack with the xacto knife. I sent the first one back, so I can't do anything else except fight with it.
Try using it with a metal plate - it really makes a huge difference with the intricate dies.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #958

Quote:

Try using it with a metal plate - it really makes a huge difference with the intricate dies.
a metal plate?

where do you get them?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #959
Glitter Queen

Too many stickers and embellies (i.e., Jolee's) when I first started. Got most on sale (thank goodness) and have donated just about all.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #960
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
a metal plate?

where do you get them?
As it is just a thin metal shim, I'd expect you could use something from the hardware store, provided you got it thin enough. If you are using a cardboard shim just make sure it is a little thinner.

Otherwise, you could try Cheery Lynne Designs although I''m sure there are others who sell them.