Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #721
Rubber Obsessor

Don't kill me, but I regret my Cuttlebug. It makes horrible cracking noises everytime I use it. I use the recommended sandwich and it sounds like I'm breaking it, but if I ease up on the sandwich, I don't get a good cut. So it sits in the garage:.( I use my old Sizzix and that is fine. It's a pain to store all those dies, but they were free and I'm not afraid of breaking them
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #722
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by galooshView Post
Don't kill me, but I regret my Cuttlebug. It makes horrible cracking noises everytime I use it. I use the recommended sandwich and it sounds like I'm breaking it, but if I ease up on the sandwich, I don't get a good cut. So it sits in the garage:.( I use my old Sizzix and that is fine. It's a pain to store all those dies, but they were free and I'm not afraid of breaking them
Hey there! Don't know if you know this already or not, but that cracking noise is normal. (I have a friend who LIKES to hear that but she is a little weird on a good day )
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #723
Polyshrink Goddess

I returned my Fiskars textured plates because I couldn't get them to work either. I have a ton of sets that I am 'making' myself use... I am quite compulsive about SU sets... I want it all!!! HAHAHAHAH!!! But I have to say ribbon is my biggest faux-pau. I have the cheap stuff, never buy the good stuff and always need the good stuff.. And because I have the cheap stuff, I never have enough for swaps, so I don't use it alot....

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Old 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #724
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Regrets...

Holy cow... from reading all of these, it sounds like there is going to be alot posted on the B/S/T section!!! WoW!! you know what they say... one person's regrets is another persons treasure!

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #725
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
Hey there! Don't know if you know this already or not, but that cracking noise is normal. (I have a friend who LIKES to hear that but she is a little weird on a good day )
What! You're kidding! That's hysterical! Well, I guess I'd better get it back out then
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #726
Matboard Maniac

The Fastenator. Remember that?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #727
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

I cannot believe that I actually gave a couple of Fastenators as gifts! The sad clue is that I never wanted one for myself!

The tool that still lays in a drawer is the "tearing tool". So many $ for so little, imo. Live & learn.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #728
Stampin' Fool

As this thread pops up to the top every now and then, I always ask myself if I have anything to add to my 'regrets.' Here's a quick list of things I have in my stamp room that sit pretty much unused now...if I didn't have 4 little kids keeping me busy, I'd take the time to try to sell some of this stuff. But instead, I enjoy sharing my supplies with my kiddos...and they love it!

A LOT of Stampin' Up! sets...and my SU paper, inks, etc. I always go to my PTI supplies first now. Maybe it's just a phase...maybe not.

Patterned Paper...I'm addicted to it just like I'm addicted to pretty fabrics...but the paper is cheaper, so I have more of it.

Prismacolor pencils...I love them...but again, I tend to use Copics more.

Palette inks...I don't use 'em anymore now that PTI has their own colors.

Dew drops...just don't use 'em often enough!

Like I said, I don't mind having all this extra stuff though. When I get something out of 'my stash' and share it with my kids, it's like Christmas for them, and that's just as much fun for me!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 AM   #729
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
As this thread pops up to the top every now and then, I always ask myself if I have anything to add to my 'regrets.'
Same here, lol!

There are several things I purchased because I'd seen a fabulous technique that required something I didn't have. By the time I'd gotten it home and could sit down to play with it, I couldn't remember how to use it. I'm more careful that way.

I have a Wizard I've never gotten to work well. Think: dangerous projectiles and/or sandwiches that won't load. It (as in 'mine') works fine for folk who have the 'hang' of a Wizard, just not me. I use my Cuttlebug now, but Karen from Gina K's has and loves her Wizard and all it can do and has offered to teach me. Some day when life slows down ... sigh ...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #730
Rubber Obsessor

I have too much fun reading this thread! Just want to share that our local center for adults with special needs is thrilled whenever I take over "extra" craft supplies. About 2 years ago, federal funding was cut and they need all the donations anyone can share. You may be able to find a "happy home" for some of these unwanted craft items in your community.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #731
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
My BIA. Just HAD to have it last Christmas, and it's never even been out of the box!!!
I also regret buying eyelets in almost every color. I hardly ever use eyelets anymore.
And I also regret buying the Cricut Expressions and all 20 carts to go with it. $$$$$$ Yikes!!!
why don't you like the cricut? I am trying to find out which is better, cricut or cuddlebug or whatever else is out there. I love dry embossing and it takes too long by hand on a light box.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #732
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KabooView Post
why don't you like the cricut? I am trying to find out which is better, cricut or cuddlebug or whatever else is out there. I love dry embossing and it takes too long by hand on a light box.
Personally I am of the opinion that a crafter need both a manual die cutter (like a Cuttlebug or Big Kick/Big Shot or Wizard or Epic 6 or Big Shot Pro (oh I want one of those!) or whatever, AND a digital die cutter like a Cricut/Wishblade/Sillohuete/Gazelle/Pazzles, etc.

I have a Bosskut Gazelle, and a Big Kick. I love BOTH and they do very different things. If you love dry embossing, I'd recommend getting a manual die cutter first, and my recommendation is always a Big Kick or Big Shot. You can use Spellbinders Nestabilities, which are popular, embossing folders from Sizzix, Cuttlebug, Quickutz, and other manufacturers and you can use a wide range of dies. Then I'd save up for a digital die cutter. I've had my Big Kick over 4 years, and just got my Gazelle. I won't ever give up either! I also have a Sidekick, which a mini die cutter, and an original Sizzix Press. I still use all of them.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #733
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

In my personal opinion, I don't care for the Cricut because I can't leave it out. I have ony used it once and I thought it wasted a lot of paper. Bear in mind, the people that really use and like the Cricut could probably tell me how to optimize my paper! The machine itself works fine and I have a friend that is a wiz with hers!

I like the Cuttlebug because it is small enough to sit on the corner of my crafting table, does not take electicity, and I am able to better use my paper when using my Nesties.

Having said all of this, I do firmly believe it is a matter of taste and stamping style as to which one suits you best.
Joy-full likes this post.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #734
Inking Addict

Default texture plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightrachel1008View Post
i'm in the same boat with you!
Have you tried using the tan embossing pad from wizard. I seem to get a good emboss with them
Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #735
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitcatforeverView Post
Have you tried using the tan embossing pad from wizard. I seem to get a good emboss with them
If you give your paper a light spritz of water (or if you are really lazy, a spritz from your stamp cleaner) it embosses much better.
Leah
Sweet RN likes this post.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #736
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I have the cricuit Expression and a Big Shot and I use both. But I prefer my BS for the versatility. Yes, with the cricuit you can get a lot of images on one cartridge and I have software that lets me do more with the machine, but the simplicity of the BS is what I love.

My style of stamping does not include adding very many cutout images. I keep thinking that it makes my cards look like scrapbook pages. Those that use them make lovely cards, it's just not my style.

When making a decsion on something that will turn out to have high on-going costs (dies, cartridges, cutting blades, replacement mats, etc.) it is important to consider how you are going to use the machine. That's why we have so many different options because if there was only 1 machine we'd all be crying about what we can't do with the 1 that we have.
Joy-full likes this post.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #737
Rubber Obsessor

Default scor-pal

So sorry lovers of scor-pal, it might be good for young scrappers, but since I found Martha Stewarts board, so cheap, I can actually read the score marks, and not have to move the papers around.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #738
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropnjillView Post
So sorry lovers of scor-pal, it might be good for young scrappers, but since I found Martha Stewarts board, so cheap, I can actually read the score marks, and not have to move the papers around.
I have heard lots of good things about the Martha Stewart scoring board. Where do you get them?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #739
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropnjillView Post
I have heard lots of good things about the Martha Stewart scoring board. Where do you get them?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #740
Insane Embellisher

I think a lot of us (myself included) get caught up in hype (sometimes from sites like this one, although I am a dedicated SCS user) and forget what kind of a stamper/card maker/scrapbooker we are, and rush out on a quest for a new gadget. After 9 years, I have figured out that I just won't use anything that has a cord, requires electricity and takes more than 10 minutes to figure out. I'm sure I could create neat things with a Cricut to SCAL or wishblade, but I don't have the patience. When I see a card or page in my head, I want it DONE, not to have to dig stuff out to figure out or, heaven forbid, configure something. I can't even figure out how to post layouts, so I just gave that idea up. **sigh** If I could just remember it in the store...
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #741
Cardstock Collector

Prima flowers are great if you spray them with tattered angels spray stuff or trible emboss them so they look like enamel.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #742

Quote:

Here is a thread in which we have been discussing the MS Score Board. I thought I would share it with you because there have been some great posts regarding it.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=473752
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #743
Mad Swapper

My regrets?

Buying "lots" or "kits" off eBay - always seemed a good deal, but a lot of that stuff has been donated or resold. I did learn early on that I hated cheap paper.

Stickers and paper diecuts- could have covered entire walls with those - most are gone. Keep a few to go on the outside of envelopes & some that I am sure I could create a "fabulous" card with

Too much SU - thought I had to have it all. I actually prefer the Memento inks and only use 10 of them regularly. And had to have the markers - they are just sitting on my desk now since I use Copics or watercolor now. Have also sold most of retired DSP - and cut the patterns I like down to 6x6. Still like the cardstock and those clamshell boxes; wish I could get some more of those.

Also have a Quikutz blue handle cutter and a Karen Foster punch thingy - never used those either. And the manual eyelet setter - why didn't the CropADile come out sooner?

$1 stuff - I bet I've justified $500 in purchases with the mantra - well it's only $1.

That's my list
Old 02-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #744
Polyshrink Goddess

my cropadile ! it's unwieldy, i have to figure out which thingy to have down for eyelets....they always smoosh and i throw out the cardstock i put them in !

hate it. any one want to buy it? (probably costs a ton to just ship the thing....) and i read all sorts of threads where folks sing it's praises...and see videos where they are so easily used....not me. i am cropadile challenged for sure

and those paper stacks from michaels and joannes that i had to have. now i use some of that paper to make envelopes....

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #745
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
My ATG gun comes to mind....probably great for scrapbookers...but not for me, when it comes to cards. I'll have to sell it.
I'm curious what adhesive you use for your cards. I only make cards and all I use is my ATG because I haven't found anything else that adheres as well.

PS I love your work. I just finished browsing your gallery!

Edited to say: I just realized this original post was from 2008! I doubt you'll be answering any time soon. LOLOL
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #746
SuG
Forum Fanatic

funny I just searched fastenator and came up with this thread. I did the search because my dh just gave me one tonight for my birthday. I have never even looked twice at these. I have zero interest and the worst part is I am on a declutter mission in my craft room and getting rid of things because I don't use them enough. Now I feel a little obliged to hang on to this.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #747
Compulsive Stamper

you guys are great! I'm new on here and appreciate the answers.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #748
Mad Swapper

Well, I'm not so sure if I necessarily regret buying stuff - otherwise I would feel too guilty!! But I have some things that I was so keen on getting when I started cardmaking but have really been left virtually untouched:

Eyelets
Tons of gold sentiment stickers (you know - the ones that come in sheets)
Cheap quality stamps
Glossy white cardstock

And I'm embarrassed to say that just before Christmas, I was so excited to be able to buy a new MS Arch Lattice edge punch on EBay really cheap along with a few other MS edge punches. But the thing is, I already had the Arch Lattice one - I thought the one I had was the Star edge punch I was really sick at the time so I'm blaming that. Either that or I have too many punches It's still in its original packaging and I'm going to re-sell it, but I felt so stupid at the time!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #749
Compulsive Stamper

Do you remember the hype over the cutter from Lighthouse Memories that had all those different cams to cut different shapes? It came in a small purple handled case w/a matching square purple cutting mat.
Also regretted: oval cutter also from Lighthouse Memories, Xyron 1200 (refills way too expensive), and too many punches!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #750
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Well, I'm not so sure if I necessarily regret buying stuff - otherwise I would feel too guilty!! But I have some things that I was so keen on getting when I started cardmaking but have really been left virtually untouched:

Eyelets
Tons of gold sentiment stickers (you know - the ones that come in sheets)
Cheap quality stamps
Glossy white cardstock

And I'm embarrassed to say that just before Christmas, I was so excited to be able to buy a new MS Arch Lattice edge punch on EBay really cheap along with a few other MS edge punches. But the thing is, I already had the Arch Lattice one - I thought the one I had was the Star edge punch I was really sick at the time so I'm blaming that. Either that or I have too many punches It's still in its original packaging and I'm going to re-sell it, but I felt so stupid at the time!
I don't use glossy cs too often but one of my favorite uses for it is if I need a color I don't have in cs but I have in ink I will brayer the cardstock until I get it close to the color needed. I'm not an absolute matchy-matchy person but do want things to coordinate so this asves me from needing cs in colors I would rarely use (I often like a color in ink better than in cs).

Anyway, maybe this tip will help you get rid of your glossy cs.

My recent regret is buying a Fiskars Rotary trimmer (actually 2 since hubby was paying) thinking it was a big bargain ($10 each where they were $45 each not long before I made my purchase). Well, it seems to be discontinued as I never see replacement parts but wouldn't bother anyway as the one trimmer was used only to preapre for a shoebox swap (22 cardkits) and is already very dull.

I had wanted a rotary trimmer to make multiple cuts (at least 3-4 sheets) for when I do swaps or holiday cards but think I will save instead for a guillotine trimmer that can accommodate 12x12 paper/cs.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #751
Embossing Fanatic

Default Funny

I have loved reading this thread too and will tell a couple of my friends about it. I thought there was only one thing I regretted until I started reading and thought oh yeah I bought that and where is that.

I regret Fiskars texture plates the most
Circle Scissor Plus (really because I don't know how to use)

I do however love my Watercolor Crayons

Christene
"I'll call nobodies and make them somebodies; I'll call the unloved and make them beloved" MSG Romans 9:25
Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #752
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlincView Post
I have loved reading this thread too and will tell a couple of my friends about it. I thought there was only one thing I regretted until I started reading and thought oh yeah I bought that and where is that.

I regret Fiskars texture plates the most
Circle Scissor Plus (really because I don't know how to use)

I do however love my Watercolor Crayons

Christene
I regretted my Fiskars plates until I was able to have a spot where I can use my Wizard without getting a step stool to reach the only shelf it fit on. It is much easier than using the texturizing tool and gives very nice impressions ... I'm sure similar reuslts could be achieved with a Cuttlebug or Big Shot.

I too love my watercolor crayons but I only have SU's brights so far.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #753
Mad Swapper

Default Cool idea about the glossy cs

Thanks Tina for the idea about the glossy cs - I'll give it a whirl!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I don't use glossy cs too often but one of my favorite uses for it is if I need a color I don't have in cs but I have in ink I will brayer the cardstock until I get it close to the color needed. I'm not an absolute matchy-matchy person but do want things to coordinate so this asves me from needing cs in colors I would rarely use (I often like a color in ink better than in cs).

Anyway, maybe this tip will help you get rid of your glossy cs.

My recent regret is buying a Fiskars Rotary trimmer (actually 2 since hubby was paying) thinking it was a big bargain ($10 each where they were $45 each not long before I made my purchase). Well, it seems to be discontinued as I never see replacement parts but wouldn't bother anyway as the one trimmer was used only to preapre for a shoebox swap (22 cardkits) and is already very dull.

I had wanted a rotary trimmer to make multiple cuts (at least 3-4 sheets) for when I do swaps or holiday cards but think I will save instead for a guillotine trimmer that can accommodate 12x12 paper/cs.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #754
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Thanks Tina for the idea about the glossy cs - I'll give it a whirl!
YW ... I found it easier to get even coverage if using cardstock a half-sheet (5.5 x 8.5) or smaller (but there is a wider brayer on the market that would make it easier to change the color of full sheets).
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #755
Stampin' Fool

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Quote:

At Michael's with a coupon!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #756
Insane Embellisher

You can actually make really cool marbled cardstock with the glossy cardstock. I did it for my Christmas car this year, and used a gold reinker, and the glossy picks up the gold differently than colors. It was sort of 3 dimensional looking, if that makes sense.
Leah
Old 04-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #757
Matboard Maniac

I bought two Blue Hill Studio's magnetic punches that punch borders in a circle or oval in the middle of pages.

Biggest waste of money. Neither work at all. Cant even cut through tissue paper let alone cardstock or DP.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #758

Send a message via Skype™ to jennysbugbites

Quote:

Originally Posted by galooshView Post
The cracking is normal... use your cuttlebug!! You wont break it. You might have to buy a new B plate once in a while but they are cheap.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #759

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennysbugbitesView Post
The cracking is normal... use your cuttlebug!! You wont break it. You might have to buy a new B plate once in a while but they are cheap.
Yes, the cracking is normal. Mine did the same thing when I first got it. It will go away after a while. I haven't had to replace any plates yet, but I have heard that they do sometimes break. I love my cuttelbug, it's one of my best purchases!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #760

Send a message via Skype™ to jennysbugbites

Regret buying STICKERS... I have way too many of them and never use them. I love stamps more. Im thinking of selling them in a LOT on ebay to make some room and get rid of them.

Regret buying cheap cardstock... I never use it. I use SU or PTI. Also cheap PP, it doesnt work well at all. Thank goodness I could pass it along for my daughter to have fun with and her girl scout troop.

Regret buying the cheaper ink pads... I love SU, PTI and my memento. I wish I had never bought all the colorbox ink i have, ive never used it.

Regret buying pattered paper that I thought was cute at the time but I havent touched!! Ive cut way back on buying PP or PP stacks.

Regret buying Perfect Pearls, Ive used them once and never since. I would rather use tattered angels.

Regret buying the ITOP brad maker... havent used it yet!! Sitting collecting dust.

Gosh I have too much to regret. I need to sell some of this stuff and get it out of my craft room. lol