Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #601
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mearsfansinboiseView Post
The big set of SU! markers I dont have the patience to color but instead of buying a few to try, I bought the big $125 set! Ended up selling it here to a lovely lady in Canada, eh. Then Flower Soft this stuff sucks. OK, maybe its user error but it looks pretty, but its a complete PITA to work with. Sold that to to the same nice lady in Canada, eh. ROTFL Then I just bought a heat embossing tool and all the inks and powders.and I burnt my crafting table with it dont ask. Seriously, I make decent cards, just patience is not me haaaaaaaaaaaa.

I took a lonnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time for me to learn to use the heat embossing tool. At my club class, I burned the paper!!! My demo had never had that happen before.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #602
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, lots of us regret our lightboxes. I have tried it many times and have never done anything on it worth sending out.

Also, I have stopped going to SU parties. Too many items bought just because I thought I had to buy something.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #603
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The big set of SU! markers I dont have the patience to color but instead of buying a few to try, I bought the big $125 set! Ended up selling it here to a lovely lady in Canada, eh. Then Flower Soft this stuff sucks. OK, maybe its user error but it looks pretty, but its a complete PITA to work with. Sold that to to the same nice lady in Canada, eh. ROTFL Then I just bought a heat embossing tool and all the inks and powders.and I burnt my crafting table with it dont ask. Seriously, I make decent cards, just patience is not me haaaaaaaaaaaa.
I burnt my table a bit too. But here's a tip I got somewhere..use an old wooden chopping board as a buffer for your table.

My regret is buying soo many stickers, embellishments and papers when I first started out scrapbooking, I got caught up with all the pretties. I am gradually working my way through my everything before I buy more! I recently donated some stickers and papers to the school for the kids to use and use others on my sons reward chart and his craft.
Though having said that, it's really just transfered into my stamping addiction!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #604
Polyshrink Goddess

Default 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarmelliaView Post
Wow, lots of us regret our lightboxes. I have tried it many times and have never done anything on it worth sending out.

Also, I have stopped going to SU parties. Too many items bought just because I thought I had to buy something.
LOL! Just bought one because of all the LI stencils I have. We'll have to wait and see how often I use it.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #605
Kookie Creator

I regret buying my Versamark pad and pen - I rarely use them. I also regret buying my mega and giga punches and Coluzzle templates - I probably won't use them much now that I have a Cuttlebug and Nestabilities dies. That stuff wasn't cheap where I live - $12.99 per template, $24.99 and $30.99 for each punch, plus tax. A lot of money down the drain.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #606
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I never use my versamark pen, but my pad is always being tapped.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #607
Hardware Hotshot

Default for me "drying time" means down time :(

fyi:
versa pen is great to do flower centers
(masking technique)
go over your light-colored 'middle' vith versapen
heat emboss with clear ep
( or sparkly ep! -using colored or specialty ep adds new dimension to the whole production...heat and stick with beads or flock...)

then
watercolor or 2 step stamp your petal's color
works great as a mask
and won't slow you down once you get used to it.

sometimes as a second step:

use same way to keep daisy petals white (or roses delicately shaded) when you pound random foliage around them...
gives them the shine of ce without wet time.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #608
Cardstock Collector

We all have 'regrets'...but dang it..where was that thingy/stamp...I know I had it! What fun we have! Now if I could only find that thing/stamp/punch/paper....
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #609
Stampin' Fool

This is an interesting thread. I'm glad I'm not alone in 'buyer's remorse.' The two things that pop into my head right off the bat are my ATG and blue Bind-it-all. I got a great deal on both, but the ATG just is far too awkward for my small hands and I love the Pink Bind-it-All (which I now own...got a great deal on it a few months back that I just couldn't pass up on!)
Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #610
Matboard Maniac

What I regret is first & foremost is buying without taking the time to get to know what my style is. I got into this hobby about 7 months ago and was one who thought I could create magic with anything found in the crafty section of local retailers. LOL I never knew of all the wonderful websites that sell so much more quality then quantity.. These are some of the things I do not use and will probably get rid of sometime.

SU watercolor pencils (wish I knew about prisma back then)
Cheap DSP/ cardstock
Martha Stewart stamps
SU punches (except the scallop border)
some of my sugar nellie stamps. (not into them so much anymore)

What I am glad I splurged on.. My copic Markers & wizard with nesties
Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #611
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post
I try to be careful about what I buy so I don't end up regretting things. But it still happens . . . Really, if there's any purchase I regret, it would have to be the clear stamps I've bought over the years. I don't like using them. I don't enjoy them. They just aren't my thing. But at least I've learned . . . don't buy them!
I will second this. I do not care for the clear stamps either. have regreted buying them.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #612
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I use my Su markers all of the time and love them and are so happy they are now coming out with the markers in the in colors and I also use my heat gun to emboss but never have used it at my craft table, always to the kitchen and hold the item to be embossed. I did have something funny happen at a CTMH workshop, the demo was showing us how to use a clothes pin to hold something to be embossed and the clothes pin caught on fire and of course there went the whole project.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #613
Insane Embellisher

I do regret my light box and brass templates, but the CB wasn't out back then, so who really knew not to buy them? Same thing with the Silent setter, I hadn't even seen a crop-a-dile when I bought the thing. I use my ATG all the time, and love lots of things others regret. Different strokes, I guess.
Leah
Old 10-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #614
Die Cut Diva

I don't understand how a heat gun can catch a clothes pin on fire????? I have a heat gun from Hobby Lobby and I don't think it gets that hot. I've used the SU heat gun @ workshops and it worked fine too. I have seen where the paper will look like it getting scorched but wood catching on fire...WOW!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #615
Stazon Splitcoast

i would say i regret the clear stamps, i do not really like them at all. but everything else in my craft area has a purpose. oh and i got my atg from a ss on here and i love it so very much saves me so much time when making cards. just wish that it had a hook on it so that i can hang it up.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #616
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2AngelJocelynView Post
i would say i regret the clear stamps, i do not really like them at all. but everything else in my craft area has a purpose. oh and i got my atg from a ss on here and i love it so very much saves me so much time when making cards. just wish that it had a hook on it so that i can hang it up.

My ATG was almost a regret item until a wonderful gal turned me on to a different brand of tape. What a difference!! I agree about the hook and also I think it needs a 'cap' to cover the sticky part to make transporting it easier.

I regret buying things simply because they are on sale. I have so many embellishments that I am trying to use up. Hope our servicemen/servicewomen like them, they are going on cards for the Operation Write Home project.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #617
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
My ATG was almost a regret item until a wonderful gal turned me on to a different brand of tape. What a difference!! I agree about the hook and also I think it needs a 'cap' to cover the sticky part to make transporting it easier.

I regret buying things simply because they are on sale. I have so many embellishments that I am trying to use up. Hope our servicemen/servicewomen like them, they are going on cards for the Operation Write Home project.
May I ask what brand of tape you are using now?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #618
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post

Um, my friend ordered a big batch and I am not 100% sure where she got it, but I wil ask and let you know!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #619
Cardstock Collector

Hmmmm....seems we all have regrets of sorts...guess it's all tied up in what we are used to and the type of stamps we like. SU stamps are great, but I wish you didn't have to buy a whole set. ATG is great...I lost it once...ROFL...it was sitting right on top of my embellishment drawers, in plain sight...too big to lose...NOT! Copic pens are great, so are their sisters/brothers Spicas...I still like my other markers too...Marvy, Uschida, etc....but Copic's are worth the $$$
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #620
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Here is the link:

http://www.thetapedepot.com/cart/com...mart/Itemid,1/

Hope you like it as well as I do!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #621
Matboard Maniac

My lightbox (never used, maybe I should bring it to school?) and the SU toolkit. I bought the Crop-a-dile and never used the tool kit except for the stylus for piercing!

I've brought all my old Marvy punches that don't have a 'handle' to school and my kids love them for art so it's not really wasted. Same for the non-SU cardstock. But so much money invested trying to get the 'right supplies.' I'm learning to pass up on the coupons, too--except for the Hobby Lobby ones for Nesties!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #622
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I don't understand how a heat gun can catch a clothes pin on fire????? I have a heat gun from Hobby Lobby and I don't think it gets that hot. I've used the SU heat gun @ workshops and it worked fine too. I have seen where the paper will look like it getting scorched but wood catching on fire...WOW!!!
Guess I forgot to mention that the demo was trying to show us how to color a brad and was not watching what she was doing and yikes the clothes pin caught on fire.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #623
Stazon Splitcoast

I get my ATG tape on Ebay 6 rolls of 1/2in for 15.99 it is really great tape
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #624
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcolemonView Post
My lightbox (never used, maybe I should bring it to school?) and the SU toolkit. I bought the Crop-a-dile and never used the tool kit except for the stylus for piercing!

I've brought all my old Marvy punches that don't have a 'handle' to school and my kids love them for art so it's not really wasted. Same for the non-SU cardstock. But so much money invested trying to get the 'right supplies.' I'm learning to pass up on the coupons, too--except for the Hobby Lobby ones for Nesties!
I used to use my tool kit before the invention of the Crop-a-Dile. Now I mainly use my hammer for hanging stuff on my walls! LMBO!!!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #625
Rubber Obsessor

You have all inspired me on my day off. I am going into my room, go through everything and box up what I have not touched in ages! I will make a list and post what "goodies" I come up with soon. Then, If I manage to get rid of a few things I won't feel so bad buying a few new things that I THINK I cant live without!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #626
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I got my ATG gun and the tape from Uline.com.
great place for packing supplies also
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #627
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Um, my friend ordered a big batch and I am not 100% sure where she got it, but I wil ask and let you know!
If you could find out, I'd really like to know also. TIA.

Angie
SCS20 challenge $169
Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #628
Stazon Splitcoast

Guess I should have read further. Thanks for the link.

Angie
SCS20 challenge $169
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #629
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't use my light box very often, but when I do, I'm glad I have it.
I would have to say the biggest regret was the Quik Cutz...Ughh hated that thing.
I now have a cricut, which I love, but want to get a Big Shot, Cuttlebug or SpellBinder..I like the fact that I can emboss with them.
The jury is still out on the Big Bite, I like that I can do all those things, the problem is that some eyelets set nicely, the rest just cause holes in the paper.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #630
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Here is the link:

http://www.thetapedepot.com/cart/com...mart/Itemid,1/

Hope you like it as well as I do!
Hi Pamela! Thank you for letting me know! I am running low on my ATG tape and I'll soon have to order some more. I'm not really happy with the tape that I have now because it doesn't seem to be sticky enough. I'm looking to try some tape from another company. Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #631
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin granny60View Post
Guess I forgot to mention that the demo was trying to show us how to color a brad and was not watching what she was doing and yikes the clothes pin caught on fire.
How does someone demonstrate how to color a brad AND use a heat gun? Was she not actually holding the heat gun? Just curious!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #632
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Hi Pamela! Thank you for letting me know! I am running low on my ATG tape and I'll soon have to order some more. I'm not really happy with the tape that I have now because it doesn't seem to be sticky enough. I'm looking to try some tape from another company. Thanks again!
I bought the tape depot tape since everyone was giving great reveiws and now I have buyers remorse. I was using 3m tape which holds really well but still gives you a few seconds to move your item if your placement is off. The tape depot tape doesn't let you move it, once it's down, it's down. I need the ability to make adjustments 'cus I don't always get the placement perfect on the first try.

One more thing, every one of the rolls of tape depot tape (6 so far) the backing on the tape hs broken about 1/2 through the roll. Not a huge issue, but it is a pain and some waste to restart the roll.

For me it's worth the extra cost to go back to the 3m tape.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #633
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
How does someone demonstrate how to color a brad AND use a heat gun? Was she not actually holding the heat gun? Just curious!
I am guessing that she was coloring a brad by heating it up, dipping it embossing powder and then reheating the embossing powder to melt it. (Heating the brad the first time makes the embossing powder stick to the metal without using an ink pad). She was probably using the clothespin to hold the brad.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #634
Compulsive Stamper

Default ugh...

at this point pretty much EVERYTHING!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #635
Insane Embellisher

HMMM....That is the problem I had with the 3M tape even after I sent the ATG back to 3M to be replaced. Oh,well-whatever works for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I bought the tape depot tape since everyone was giving great reveiws and now I have buyers remorse. I was using 3m tape which holds really well but still gives you a few seconds to move your item if your placement is off. The tape depot tape doesn't let you move it, once it's down, it's down. I need the ability to make adjustments 'cus I don't always get the placement perfect on the first try.

One more thing, every one of the rolls of tape depot tape (6 so far) the backing on the tape hs broken about 1/2 through the roll. Not a huge issue, but it is a pain and some waste to restart the roll.

For me it's worth the extra cost to go back to the 3m tape.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #636
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rys_mumView Post
I burnt my table a bit too. But here's a tip I got somewhere..use an old wooden chopping board as a buffer for your table.

My regret is buying soo many stickers, embellishments and papers when I first started out scrapbooking, I got caught up with all the pretties. I am gradually working my way through my everything before I buy more! I recently donated some stickers and papers to the school for the kids to use and use others on my sons reward chart and his craft.
Though having said that, it's really just transfered into my stamping addiction!
For heat embossing I use the metal container that the SU punch plus stamps came in.. I got mine when it was the tag punch and the tag stamps. Open the lid.. put the CS in it and point the heat gun at the paper but DO not put the tip of the heat gun inside the box. This method does several things for me.. catches all the "loose" giltter or embossing powder that the heat gun manages to blow off... keeps my craft table and fingers from getting burned... and finally keeps my papers from getting scourch marks on it. Have PATIENCE with the heat gun.. it takes about 30 seconds to warm up hot enough to emboss.. just point and wait about 30 sec then as the stuff starts to melt.. move slowly around until the entire image is melted. I absolutely LOVE to emboss.. You can't go wrong with CLEAR embossing powder... although I do find I like to use black, irrisident ice, winter wonderland, and martha Stuart's glow in the dark embossing for all the halloween tags!!!!!!! FUN FUN

now my turn for my list of regrets...

1) anything and everything from QVC or HSN
2) paper packs from michaels, AC moore and Joann .. I find that I am more of a SU and ClubScrap girl.
3) the bazillion stickers I have.. then again I have two girls and the LOVE it .. so not too much of a regret.
4) paper and sticker packs from the dollar store.. OMG.. what .. was.. I.. thinking? BUT I do use all the cheap page protectors from the dollar store to organize my paper + pictures + embellies into projects ready to assemble.. It is really nice to be able to grab about ten of these before heading out the door to a scrap.
5) quite a bunch of my sizzix dies (have the original sizzix) I never seem to use them like I thought i would.. oh well.

Almost all of my supplies are currently in boxes in a storage closet right now becuase we are currently finishing off the basement. I am sure that once the basement is done and I have to relocate my stuff to a new closet I will do another purge.

I am definately interested and currently holding off on:
nesties.. seen them.. love the look, but am not sure just how much I would actually use them

brass templates... ok there is just ONE that I want it's the dots one from SU.. basically I want a way to be able to use my ice pick to make holes in the CS at exactly even intervals and in a straight line... not so much for dry embossing.. .am I crazy for considering that idea?

score pal.. man I would so love to have this.. right now I put a score blade in my carl rotary cutter, but it is such a PITA to have to keep remembering the measurements, etc. score Pal I could use pencil and mark the lines that need to be scored... I hope because that is how I imagine I would use it.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #637
Gallery Gazer

Quoted from Dixiemill post:
"now my turn for my list of regrets...

1) anything and everything from QVC or HSN
2) paper packs from michaels, AC moore and Joann .. I find that I am more of a SU and ClubScrap girl.
3) the bazillion stickers I have.. then again I have two girls and the LOVE it .. so not too much of a regret.
4) paper and sticker packs from the dollar store.. OMG.. what .. was.. I.. thinking? BUT I do use all the cheap page protectors from the dollar store to organize my paper + pictures + embellies into projects ready to assemble.. It is really nice to be able to grab about ten of these before heading out the door to a scrap.
5) quite a bunch of my sizzix dies (have the original sizzix) I never seem to use them like I thought i would.. oh well."

LOL about the QVC and HSN stuff. I have oodles of embellishments which don't really match the papers and photos I scrap most often and a few mystery boxes of really old stuff. At one time I liked Page Pebbles from the LSS so I bought a big assortment from QVC. What did I think I was going to do with 300 of them?!?!?!
Mary Beth

Last edited by lutheran; 10-15-2009 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: added that I was quoting previous post
Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #638
Matboard Maniac

I regret my Bazzil In'Stitchz (spelling ???) I think it was sold on HSN (bought mine off ebay)
I bought coloured thread, peircing templates, you name it.

Other than the paper peircing tool....I havent touched anything else in that package........
Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #639
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL! I just bought the stitch thingy....I like it, except that the 'ugly' side is really ugly. Plus, I have a hard time sometimes figuring out where to go in and out of to make the pattern...should come with instructions!
I, too, have TONS of stickers and all those tags with sayings...I am DETERMINED now to use them. My last scrap retreat, other then a few pieces of cardstock, I didn't buy a thing! Every time I use a sticker I feel 'free'. My problem....I buy something that I think is just stinkin cute and then I don't want to use it...it's tooo cute! UGGHHHH
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #640
Inking Addict

Interesting reading!!!

Okay.. paper piercing tool to make holes on your CS.

With your Scorepal, You get a SCOREBUG or something similar (use a coupon or get it on sale of course!) by the cutter bee company... ( it looks like a lady bug) a cutter bug or something like that then you put it above your CS to get stated and you make a nice straight line of pokes down the CS. whala! roll away!
make 3 rows and it looks nice for a bit of texture. Try it!

Now I have to ask you gals before I make a bad move....
shopping move> What about the Quickkutz stuff.... ?
why do you like it or DON'T like it?

Can one use it in the cuttle bug or big shot predessor sizzix big kick? I have a SCS friend who doesn't want them anymore.... and I wonder if you can use it with out having to buy the handle. Gosh you know I have a lotta other tools in my closet!
any opinions or thoughts on that!

signed :a collector of all thingS!!!