Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #441
Pearl-ExPert

I'll agree with the too-many-eyelets regret. The other day my box of a million eyelets spilled all over and was a huge mess to clean up! My other regrets are:

brass templates
SU watercolor pencils...the colors are awful and don't match SU colors!

I've learned to become more discriminating about the stuff I buy but there was a time when I was enamored with all things stamping. Well, sometimes I still am.....

Things I love:
Crop A Dile
embossing powder
Punches
Cuttlebug & folders
Nesties
Glimmer mist (a MUST have for every card I make)
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #442
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

Mostly I regret the purshase of items mostly tools that does not really work for what they are supposed to work. I mean I have a Crop-a-dile and I can not even use it with most of my eyelets as they are too hard metal.

I regret buying the Provo Craft instant eyelet setting BUT was able to sell it. I than choose the Making Memories instant Eyelet setting and same thing BUT again was able to return it. So I find my hammer is the best thing I have for eyelet setting.

I just got the Making Memories Slice cutting machine. I was waiting for it for a log time. I have never used an electronic cutting machine before BUT I Was desapointed when I first used it as the shapes was not right. It was looking more that it has been cut by a kid. The circle was not even a circle and the wholes in the button shape look more like the number 9. The scallop shapes are not scallop either. SO I will probably like it better I have ordered other cards AND the company are working to fix the problem.

Other regret : Circle scisor, SU roler for stamp wheels, all Pergamano tools. SU snail adhesive as the glue is not sticky anough everything is falling apart which I have glued with this glue. The plastic powder pals as the static retain the embossing powder and it is a mess to clean.I use a folded paper sheet to put the powder back in the container. All my brass embossing stencils.

Other regrets: The Marvy scallop punches (I have sold them all) as the nestabilities take less place in my room and you have more sizes.

My Copic Markers.

So I thing that is everything so far
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #443
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry it took me so long to reply due to holidays. My cardstock organization system is using plastic vertical paper folders (8 1/2x11). SU sells them but I purchased mine from JoAnns on-line when they had a 40% sale. I would wait for a sale since it can be expensive. Cropperhopper sells them. I purchased some labels (non stick) on ebay-very inexpensive. The labels have the color name printed on a small piece of corresponding color cardstock. I placed between 5-6 different cs colors in each vertical folder and then adhered the labels to outside of vertical folder. The folders come with 3 dividers which you can use if you want. I used them but needed extra dividers. The only place I could find additional the 81/2"x11" size dividers were from SU. I keep the vertical folders on a shelf in a closet in my stamp room, I took the doors off the closet so I can see themy papers at a glance and can find my cardstock quickly. I used to spend so much time rummaging for the right color and then would often end up going to local stamp store to buy the right color. This works really well for me. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #444
Stampin' Fool

Creation Scrapbook, why do you regret purchasing your Copics? I have tried them and am thinking about getting some. Most people seem to love them.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #445
Crimping Master

Unfortunately, I have so many regrets about my stamping/scrapping purchases. I have recently started re-organizing and am throwing away or giving away items I just don't use:

paper crimper
artsy-type stamps - it's just not my style, so I have some of these that were expensive but not used.
the multicolored ink pads
colored embossing powders
scrapbooking kits
card kits
cheap cardstock
stickers
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #446
Pearl-ExPert

I got rid of my twinkling H2O's. They just did nothing for me. I think the best tool I have ever bought was my Cuttlebug. I use it for cards and scrapbooking. I too have the original Sizzix and have not used it for a long time and I have started using it again. Everything old gets new again! I wish I had not invested so much in non SU stamps.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #447
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaggtView Post
I started out doing scrapbooking, then decided stamps would be a nice addition to scrapbooking and now do a lot of stamping. That said, I work full-time and do very little of each. However, I buy everything I hear somesay is a good tool addition. Also paper addict. One of my biggest regrets though was finally buying the original Sissix machine and about 6 sets of the slzzlets alphabets right before they came out with the Cricut. I now have about 9 cartridges. Plus I have caught the Cuttlebug embossing bug plus much more. Seldom scrapbook, and only make perhaps 15 cards a year.

What I really do is "collect" supplies.
that totally made me laugh. i get that!! i've been using my regular sizzix with the embossing folders cuttlebug makes. I however am a SAHM, but clearly i am shopping more than I am being creative. lol
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #448
Glitter Queen

well, i can't find the poster who said they liked the glimmer mist, but i wanted to ask, if you had just one bottle, what would be the color you chose? i've not seen it before, so i thought i might try some, but i'm bewildered as to which one to choose.

also, i really really love my crop o dile. it's the best thing (i have the big bite) to punch and set eyelets and brads i've had so far. it's no longer stressful to make a hole in the page. lol

you know what else i like? one of those rub on tools you find in a two pack in the wood section. I will NEVER AGAIN use a popsicle stick. lol
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #449
Crimping Master

I just totally reorganized my stamp area (not a room, just part of our basement) and I have to say that, while I have stuff that I don't use as much, I don't REGRET buying any of it. It all has its place and I do use it eventually. I guess I just like having the right tool for the right job. Even if that job is just once a year. KWIM.

When I first started stamping, I had bought some cheap stamp pads and colored cs and I have long since given those to a friend of my daughters. But other than that I can't think of anything that I really wish I hadn't bought.

Pamela
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #450
Gabfest Goddess

There are some real "repeat offenders" on this list, huh? I have to agree with a lot of them, unfortunately. Here are some of mine.

--STICKERS (this is my number one... just not at all my thing to use anymore)
--Most Bellas (I LOVE them, but they are hard for me to color... too many little spaces and details)
--Chipboard/chipboard elements (I like it but don't use it)
--Crackle paint (just cant get the effect I want)
--Acrylic paint (saw it used in some books, but never got the look I wanted)
--Glue pads (do ANY of those really work with any regularity?)
--Cheap patterned paper (that was early on, so I forgive myself!)
--Beads (thought I might get to that point, but I never did)
--Any metal embellishments (I like them, but just not my thing and seem heavy on my cards
--Many ink pads (I pretty much just use black and Copics now, so there are like 90 percent of them never get used
--TOO MANY RUB-ONS (I have a hard time and have ruined many a card... they do look nice when I get them right though!)
--Fiskars textured plates (never got the hang of it and didn't think the results were at all worth it.... it's my mom's so no loss on my part)
--Glimmer Mist (I never got a good result, never... again, it was my mom's so no big loss)
--Crimper (Fun when you're starting, but it gets old fast... NEVER use them)

Things I love:
--Bone folder
--Cuttlebug
--Cheap Fiskars cutter
--Stickles
--Adhesive faux brad tops from Joann's (they are like $1 for a pack and I can't imagine crafting without them!)
--Mono adhesive roller
--Memento black ink pad (nothing better with Copics)
--Copics (I can't say enough good things about them)
--PTI CS (the BEST CS there is)
--Wal Mart GP white CS (really great for stamping images and coloring.. and it's affordable!)
--Elzybells stamps (LOVE THEM)
--Most of my punches, especially the scallop ones and double-especially my SU ones!

Last edited by Cynamom; 01-08-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #451
Glitter Queen

hm. that's funny, we are all different. i love the Studio G stamp sets. Use em for all sorts of things, even if it's just on the back of an envelope i'm sending out, or on plain gift bags,etc.

and my kids enjoy playing with or organizing things too. i have a bunch of acrylic blocks, because i hate to stop and wash the block/stamp i just used and would rather wash them all at the end of the day. My five and four year olds LOVE to stack them and such. and they love my punches. lol
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #452
Pearl-ExPert

Fastenator - I hardly use it any more and maybe some printed paper stacks from Michaels - I bought them years ago and still have not used it. Just does not seem that appealing any more.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #453
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by EadainView Post
hm. that's funny, we are all different. i love the Studio G stamp sets. Use em for all sorts of things, even if it's just on the back of an envelope i'm sending out, or on plain gift bags,etc.

and my kids enjoy playing with or organizing things too. i have a bunch of acrylic blocks, because i hate to stop and wash the block/stamp i just used and would rather wash them all at the end of the day. My five and four year olds LOVE to stack them and such. and they love my punches. lol
My only issue with the Studio G sets is that I don't get a "crisp" stamped images. The lines look fuzzy. I do like your idea for using them on envelopes and stuff. Thanks for mentioning that!

Cindy
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #454
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh_dallasView Post
Fastenator - I hardly use it any more and maybe some printed paper stacks from Michaels - I bought them years ago and still have not used it. Just does not seem that appealing any more.
WOW... that's a good one (Fastenator). I have that and forgot about it. I am not sure why I ever bought it.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #455
Matboard Maniac

roflol...I'm seriously LOL at Fastenator, cuz I sure was gonna say it!

Cindy, I find if I use VersaFine with the Studio G stamps I get a very nice image...don't know if you have tried that or not!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #456
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle My BelleView Post
roflol...I'm seriously LOL at Fastenator, cuz I sure was gonna say it!

Cindy, I find if I use VersaFine with the Studio G stamps I get a very nice image...don't know if you have tried that or not!
Versafine, huh? Whatta ya know!!?! I will try it! I think some of my SG's are really unique, and I hate that I don't use them. I'll try it! Thanks!

C.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #457
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, the Fastenator thing is hilarious... it'd be a downright gut buster if I hadn't bought it! I swear it was one of those things they produced as a joke, just to see if we'd actually buy ANYTHING!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #458
Embossing Fanatic

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

Maybe it's on an earlier post, but the big pink, button style punches. They just sit in a box,(with my decorative scissors) until I can find something to do with them!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #459
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have a Fiskers ScrapBoss that I had.to.have. It's been out of the box about twice ever.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #460
Inking Addict

Hmmm, I hate my Cropodile--can never get the hang of it. I also hate most of the clear stamps I have bought--I can never get a clear, even image. I guess they will end up at the yard sale this summer.

Things I love: Cricut, Cuttlebug, punches, glue dots (great invention)

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #461
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
Creation Scrapbook, why do you regret purchasing your Copics? I have tried them and am thinking about getting some. Most people seem to love them.
Hi

About my copic it is just that I have so many way to color my stamped images I have the whole set of SU markers, All the Tombow markers, the 120 prismacolor crayon, The whole set of SU pastels, I think I forget something. That is just why as it was for me an expense that I could just not do so it is not something about the copic markers themself.

Hope my answer is understandable as english is not my first language

Creation Scrapbook
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #462
Compulsive Stamper

I regret buying my girlfriend a PaperGator. Whilst it punches easily through thick card and mountboard, she has had nothing but problems with the alignment of the corner rounder on it.

She can't just stick the corner of the card in and round it off in a split second as you'd expect, she has to physically align it by hand as it cuts just a fraction offline and the guides seem to move when you don't want them to.

Maybe it was a dodgy one, i dunno, but i would'nt risk another one.

Calv.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #463
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by EadainView Post
well, i can't find the poster who said they liked the glimmer mist, but i wanted to ask, if you had just one bottle, what would be the color you chose? i've not seen it before, so i thought i might try some, but i'm bewildered as to which one to choose.

also, i really really love my crop o dile. it's the best thing (i have the big bite) to punch and set eyelets and brads i've had so far. it's no longer stressful to make a hole in the page. lol

you know what else i like? one of those rub on tools you find in a two pack in the wood section. I will NEVER AGAIN use a popsicle stick. lol
I think the two I reach for most often are Antique Brass and Chestnut Brown. Some of them have a surprising amount of pigment. Black Cherry, for instance is very pigmented. I love the color, but can only use it with the cards that match it. The first two I mentioned look good with everything. I love them and use them constantly!!
My A Muse Studio
Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #464
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm pretty good with using all craft items I buy, but I have to say that Making Memories Grommet tool kit was the biggest flop. I remember the MM customer service lady emailed me and telling me to take it out to the side walk and hammer it (to get more pressure on the grommets).... LOL
Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #465
Insane Embellisher

Things I regret:

brass stencils
mini sewing machine - thing does not work right
some of my punches - what was I thinking when I bought the dolphin-shaped one?
cheap adhesive
House Mouse stamps - yes, they are cute but how many times can you use them?
MM tag maker - still have not used this thing
plastic templates
Fiskars textured plates
some of the cheap cardstock - again, was I having a brain cramp when I bought the neon yellow, green, and pink pack??
Eyelet setter that had to be hammered - I will admit this was a great stress reliever!

Things I love:
cuttlebug
nesties
any and all SU paper and inks
zero centered ruler
crop-a-dile - a lot quieter for setting eyelets than pounding on the table
ATG gun
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #466
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicholeCView Post
I have a Fiskers ScrapBoss that I had.to.have. It's been out of the box about twice ever.
OMG I had forgotten that I too had this Fiskars Scrapboss. lol have to dig it out now. Gosh, I cannot even remember how many times I have used it.

It was good to read that I was not the only one who fell for Fastenator. <sigh>
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #467
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have that many regrets. Like someone earlier on said: the old gets new again.........I seem to go through phases. At times I use yards and yards or ribbon, then it's tons of buttons or certain stamp sets.

But what I don't seem to be able to use is * GLIMMER MIST *
Good grief! What a mess!! How do you all do it??....LOL

Vronica
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #468
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

last christmas I just *had* to have a cricket. have used it maybe half a dozen times. oh well. not to mention the cartriges to go with! double oh well!!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #469
Insane Embellisher

I have sold off most of my regrets or passed them on to other people. I bought the fastenator but at half price. I have used it a few times in my scrapbooks and on some cards. I wouldn't get rid of it because sometimes it might be a nice effect. I did get the large crop a dile because i got into the larger eyelets. I still reach for my meat pounder (large wooden one that I don't hit my fingers with, LOL) and mm hole punch for smaller eyelets. Yes, I love my eyelets and brads. I have cut down my primas by 3/4 and given them to a lady who did appreciate them. I have the red sizzix and dont want to get rid of it because I still use my serif alphas and it is easier than going over to the big shot. I had to buy the big shot because I had to get the 4 inch alphas. And I waited for over a year before buying them and have used them only to send out chipboard to other people. But my big shot is now the best for cuttlebug folders and nesties which I am collecting and think is a good investment. After all I am going to be around for a long time still scraping and card making.

I really miss the old days of scraping with stickers. It was such an easy and simplier time to get pages done (I still love my first pages because it was such a fun time when I first started).

My biggest regret is not getting into that scrap area and working on something. I waste too much time sitting watching a TV show most nights.

We should not be hard on ourselves for a hobby that we all obviously love.

Lorri
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #470
Kookie Creator

Most recent buy was the Cricut personal. I thought I had to have it back in Oct. It finally went on sale cheap enough that I would buy it. It is STILL in the shipping box NEVER OPENED. One day I may finally open it. In Sept, I paid $600 to a friend for all her red/green/yellow sizzix dies and the big kick - also never used them. I have not made a regretful purchase since then... tomorrow is another day for all of us!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #471
Hardware Hotshot

I guess I'm not alone in regretting buying a Cricut. A Cricut would be an incredible tool for a brand new scrapbooker to have (titles, die cuts, etc.) but by the time I got mine my scrapbooking was pretty much caught up. I bought a cartridge a couple of months ago that I haven't even opened (had to buy one because Michaels had a good sale).

Another thing I bought and it's sat is a Crop-o-dile. I no longer have the hand dexterity to use it. I'd hate to get rid of it, though. It punches into a lot of materials that my husband has used it for!

I'm not buying a Big Shot. Who'd need it when you have a Cricut you don't use and a Cuttlebug that you do (now THAT was a good investment for embossing but not die cuts - die cutting damages the plates).

LL
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #472
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperbunnyView Post
I regret buying all the SU punches. They do not last, and you can't sharpen them at all - tried it all.
Off topic, but just saw a blog video where the lady took her punches that were leaving fuzzy edges, and punched through a soda can that was cut and flattened. Sharpened the punch like new!
Maree F likes this post.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #473
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILdyson76View Post
Off topic, but just saw a blog video where the lady took her punches that were leaving fuzzy edges, and punched through a soda can that was cut and flattened. Sharpened the punch like new!
I sharpen my punches with aluminum foil. It does a good job. My demo recommended that method.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #474
Matboard Maniac

When I started stamping I bought some cheaper ink pads and card stock that hasn't really been used.

I sort of regret buying my set of nesties... only though b/c I haven't figured out how best to use them.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #475
Rubber Obsessor

I regret buying the Cuttlebug paisley die. I had to have it, and loved its detail. Until I realized how much work it was. Never used it.

Also, I have the Fiskars Light Boss. A huge light box with plastic templates for embossing. I used the templates that came with it once, and I bought 3-4 other sets. The light box got a few more uses with my brass stencils.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #476
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by vronicaView Post

But what I don't seem to be able to use is * GLIMMER MIST *
Good grief! What a mess!! How do you all do it??....LOL

Vronica
It is a mess, for me too, at least. For some reason, I thought it wasn't going to be as watery.

I mist a cotton ball and wipe over my projects with it (don't do it after if you've used dye ink b/c it will smear). I even bought a mask to mist and use but it's a mess all over my craft table and everything.

However, do see this site:
http://www.mytatteredangels.com/

if you want to get the most out of your glittermist, I'm sure this will help get you started. It has helped me but then the next obstacle is finding the time to try their ideas... they look good, I just haven't been in the mood to play with my GM's lately ... I will someday....
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #477
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILdyson76View Post
I have one that I tied using the alum foil as someone suggested.. The punch only last like three months. It was the little double rectangle one.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #478
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
My BIA. Just HAD to have it last Christmas, and it's never even been out of the box!!!
I also regret buying eyelets in almost every color. I hardly ever use eyelets anymore.
And I also regret buying the Cricut Expressions and all 20 carts to go with it. $$$$$$ Yikes!!!

One use for all of those eyelets you have you don't use.....I took a class entitled "101 eyelets"; we took a chipboard album from Maya Road, used black and white and red papers and punched flowers, used buttons, pictures (of course!) etc. Then we used eyelets randomly all over the pages; as centers to the flowers, in the holes of the buttons; it was adorable when we were finished. We punch right through each page so we decorated both sides of the chipboad page before we inserted the eyelets so we could see how the eyelets would look from both sides.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #479
Matboard Maniac

I guess my biggest regret would be Making Memories foam stamps. I have several sets and only a few used. Other than that. I use or will use everything I have. I like to do my own thing. In style or not.

A few of the best purchases I ever made is my Klic-n-Kut, Stickles, Glimmer Mist, ATG, target cubes and prisma pencils.

Before I purchase stamps I really try to think long term. I like diverse stamp sets. I rarely buy individual stamps now. I mostly buy sets. I look back at some single stamps I bought and I think "why?". I was justifying the purchase of a $7 or $8 stamp as that is like purchasing an embellishment for a page. I still struggle with that one
Old 01-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #480
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunriseaView Post
One use for all of those eyelets you have you don't use.....I took a class entitled "101 eyelets"; we took a chipboard album from Maya Road, used black and white and red papers and punched flowers, used buttons, pictures (of course!) etc. Then we used eyelets randomly all over the pages; as centers to the flowers, in the holes of the buttons; it was adorable when we were finished. We punch right through each page so we decorated both sides of the chipboad page before we inserted the eyelets so we could see how the eyelets would look from both sides.
This sounds very interesting. Do you have pictures you would care to share? I'd love to put my stash of eyelets to good creative use! Thanks