Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #841
Mad Swapper

I would definitely be interested. It is just amazing that you've been able to do what you've done already.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #842
Rubber Obsessor

I LOVE Twas the Night Before Christmas. In my family we are often up til the wee hours creating, assembling, cooking, and wrapping. Every year we vow it will be different. This year our major combined family event will take place Saturday after Thanksgiving and the Saturday after Christmas. So our crazy schedule might work in our favor. We love our holiday time together. We'll do anything to accommodate the now-married children who must also factor in various in-law visits. One year we had five lovely gift-opening opportunities -- one extending to Valentine's Day.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #843
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNestMom View Post
Your naming that book was such a cute gift add-on but here's my question. (Since no one has suggested any names) so may I use your idea shown here?

Quote: <>

Perhaps we could have a "SCS Twas the Night Before Christmas Holiday Baking" recipe book? I'm looking for something cute/sweet/creative for a title....

Anyone else have a title suggestion? How to categorize all of the recipes? (as I want to create this based on how ALL OF US would like to refer to a recipe book). I figured under the index, a list by name - alphabetized (basic form), then also, another list by catgeory; rolled cookies, 5 ingredients or less or EASY PEEZY recipes (sp?), recipes w/nuts (since some cannot eat them, or simply think UGH when nuts are listed)....I'm trying to come up with creative ways to list these, so it's an easy reference for all.

Permission for snagging that title (not the giving the book with the goody, but it would make a cute title adding SCS Holiday Baking, no?). NOT sure if anyone wants a CUTE title. Suggestions??

You can use anything I post...if it is worthy! No really...what you are doin has my head in a spin!!! I truly appreciate it..I will have to think of suggestions...cause..."you da bomb shizzle" as my dear daughter whose 13 says!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #844
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaggt View Post
I would definitely be interested. It is just amazing that you've been able to do what you've done already.
Don't think I deserve that amazing compliment, but I'll take it! It's actually been a fun challenge for me. Plus, it's been rather useful on my end. AND there are SO many ideas, and recipes coming through that I figured this way we don't have to all crack out the cookbooks/files, and can even try someone else's TRIED/TESTED/LOVED ideas! Thank you again for the compliment, I appreciate it very much. I've had to do SOMETHING while lying around most of the day. Oh, crud, I'm supposed to be doing REAL work today. HA! I'll get to it...this just happens to be much more fun than report writing for often blicky/icky cases. A chosen field, which now I wonder WHY did I choose this? (can be depressing, not always)..so I'll work on that file so I can send it along before the end of November! Remember folks - please, any ideas will be SO appreciated! ~ Happy Monday to all (groan, it's Monday) ~ Barbara
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #845
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevLinda View Post
I LOVE Twas the Night Before Christmas. In my family we are often up til the wee hours creating, assembling, cooking, and wrapping. Every year we vow it will be different. This year our major combined family event will take place Saturday after Thanksgiving and the Saturday after Christmas. So our crazy schedule might work in our favor. We love our holiday time together. We'll do anything to accommodate the now-married children who must also factor in various in-law visits. One year we had five lovely gift-opening opportunities -- one extending to Valentine's Day.

I love that book too! In fact...when I was in 2nd grade...I was the mouse in the play at school...I am sure my dear mother has a picture of that somewhere. I always say that I am not going to wait until the last minute, and then I am always wrapping on Christmas Eve!! I think that whenever family comes together is fine....it doesn't have to be on December 25. We can celebrate CHRISTmas,family...anytime! However...it might seem weird to sing "Silent Night" at Halloween! LOL

This book thing that EmptyNestMom has started is so awesome. It is her organizational skills coming out(which is great)! I have them at work(i am a pediatric nurse) but not at home. I need her to come help me with all my insane clutter...and it is insane!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #846
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
I don't know what happened. I swear, today I think my computer hates me!

Trying to post again. Sorry if it shows up twice! ~ Barbara
THANK YOU! That is a great resource!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #847
Proud Fan Club Member

Smile Vegaswife -Ah shucks, thank you for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaswife View Post
I love that book too! In fact...when I was in 2nd grade...I was the mouse in the play at school...I am sure my dear mother has a picture of that somewhere. I always say that I am not going to wait until the last minute, and then I am always wrapping on Christmas Eve!! I think that whenever family comes together is fine....it doesn't have to be on December 25. We can celebrate CHRISTmas,family...anytime! However...it might seem weird to sing "Silent Night" at Halloween! LOL

This book thing that EmptyNestMom has started is so awesome. It is her organizational skills coming out(which is great)! I have them at work(i am a pediatric nurse) but not at home. I need her to come help me with all my insane clutter...and it is insane!!!!
Cat is out of the bag - Hi, my name is Barbara, and I like to organize things. LOL My family has a tendency to abuse this ability, LOL, as I'm often called by someone in a panic over a closet mess for example - to PLEASE come QUICK and help, everything just fell over into a pile! Hey, there could be worse things that I could be guilty of. (Oh, shucks, I'm sure there ARE!)

Funny folks mentioning stories about the book here. My family originates from Sweden, with some Danish relatives tossed in as well. (I'm the first generation on the immediate family side). I grew up with SO many languages spoken in our home, although mostly English, that today I'm often caught using three to four different languages for words/phrases in one sentence with family & friends. It's actually kinda funny to hear myself sometimes!

That said, my grandmother used to recite the entire book in Danish to us when we were little, which she knew it all by heart. (She learned Danish to please her MIL if remember correctly.) We were so young, sitting there all gathered around her listening, but the truth was, we didn't understand MOST of what the heck she was saying. Since we knew the book by heart in English, we'd giggle along at how funny some things sounded hearing it in Danish. (OK, as quietly as little ones can giggle as to not upset grandma!) I would sit for hours each year asking my grandmother to repeat some lines over, and OVER, just so I could repeat it back to her in Danish, which pleased her immensely. BUT every year, I'd have to ask again, as I could remember but only just a few words. She always smiled, and went along with trying to help me.

When my own children were growing up I tried to recreate this tradition of reciting the book, but I could only tell them my story about it being spoken to us in Danish, and just here and there try to replace a few of the English words with the Danish ones I could recall. Both of my children still own their first copies of the book I gave them, and it's cute to see how at the holidays they take it out to put up with their other decorations. (I have a son, so when HE takes his out, mom here thinks WOW!) My daughter and I were just talking about this the other day, and I had completely forgotten. She was so cute, as she finally asked after all these years, "Mom, why did you recite that story using those funny words mixed in?" I had to laugh, and then try to explain.

No matter how old we get, I find it remarkable the things we can remember from when we were just little ones. That is what I think is the best part about this thread. YES, we're coming up with gift ideas, but I don't hear folks focusing on how they're running off to purchase something from Nordstrom's as an example. (Not that I have a thing against something purchased for me! ) My point is, I'm find myself reading about folks talking about the SPIRIT of the season, the edible goodies their family seems to look forward to/request, the handmade cards that are more than just a card, and the thoughtful homemade gifts. I love that, and again, gushing perhaps, but thank you all for that, especially at this moment in my life. (Another holiday w/out my children ) Yes, gifts do seem to be a fun additional part of the holidays, but it is the memories we create, the special foods, the gathering together, etc., that make it so "special" for me, and more. All of you kindly sharing your ideas, and stories...it simply warms my heart. Alas, the spirit of the season isn't lost, at least not from what I've found here on the threads. I suppose that's why creating the "books" seemed to find its way into my mind. My attempt to try to keep those feelings going, and alive for all to read, share, and simply enjoy! ~ Have a great day everyone!~ Barbara
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #848
Crimping Master

Thanks for this wonderful thread and for everyone sharing.
Have a great day
Old 11-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #849
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Wow! What a great thing to do! Thanks so much!

KraftyChic
Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #850
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Since I'm working on the SCS HOLIDAY RECIPES book.. Do I have your permission to include this one? Also, do you want your name included, and may I include your anecdote about these as well? Seems folks like to read the "hints" and ideas beyond just how to make things. It makes it more personal, and the extras appear to give a warm touch to the recipes. Please let me know! TFS!! ~ Barbara
Sure thing, use whatever you like, and you can let people know I posted it. I found the idea on a local PBS children's tv show called ZOOM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #851
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Wow this is so wonderful! I love having everything in one spot. A suggestion for the title could be "Christmas is Coming..."

Thanks again for doing this!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #852
Glitter Guru

WHEW!!! I've chewed my way thru this entire thread!!

All the talk about the pretzel candies reminds me of the one my mother let us do as kids. She called it "Bacon and Eggs" We used the little pretzel sticks, lay 3 down, side by side, put a dollop of melted white almond bark in the middle, about the size of a quarter, then pressed a yellow M&M into the almond bark! Voila! Bacon and eggs! I'll have to get the ingredients and teach my little one how to do this!

I am very excited about the book!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #853
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paws2ink View Post

All the talk about the pretzel candies reminds me of the one my mother let us do as kids. She called it "Bacon and Eggs" We used the little pretzel sticks, lay 3 down, side by side, put a dollop of melted white almond bark in the middle, about the size of a quarter, then pressed a yellow M&M into the almond bark! Voila! Bacon and eggs! I'll have to get the ingredients and teach my little one how to do this!

Lovin this idea!! Thanks!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #854
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Dawna, may I include this into the book/doc? Would you mind if your name is listed, or no to that? I'm now asking before adding so I can hopefully avoid upsetting anyone! ~ Thanks~ Barbara
Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #855
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Dawna, may I include this into the book/doc? Would you mind if your name is listed, or no to that? I'm now asking before adding so I can hopefully avoid upsetting anyone! ~ Thanks~ Barbara
Please include it! I'm glad it's worthy, lol!! Go ahead and use my name. It's the only way I'm ever going to be published, !
Old 11-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #856
Die Cut Diva

Barbara, thank you so much for compiling this wonderful resource! Truly an awesome job!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #857
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I finally made the lotion last night and it is absolutely awesome. I can definitely see why people ask for more! Thank you Denise for sharing.

So, I made two batches and added sparkles to one for the "angel cream" for kids. Here's the scoop on the sparkles. I was afraid regular glitter might cause some sort of skin reaction so I purchased the make up kind. You can usually find them in the dollar section -- I found a brand called Gossip at Target. 1 oz for $1. 3 oz worked great for a half batch of the lotion. (In the "kids" makeup section, comes in a little cone with a pink ball at the top). Hope that's helpful.

DS is going to a friends house before school, so I'm hoping to have time to decorate these today. Anyone have any hints on spray painting baby jar lids? Mine just aren't coming out right.

Anjou

PS. If anyone wants baby food jars, you can usually get some by posting a wanted in the baby/kids section of Craigslist!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #858
Die Cut Diva

Ooops. One more thing on the sparkles. You can't see them in the cream -- but when you rub it on your skin, they show up. Pretty cool for my dd's crowd (8 yo girls!)
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #859
Rubber Obsessor

I haven't made my lotion yet. SOMEWHERE I have a box labeled small jars. Should have baby food jars mixed in. I used tons when I made Hot pepper jelly. No babies around since that time so the supply is real low.

I'm glad Askagain shared the glitter tip. I'll look at Dollar Tree next time I go. Am giving to just adults this Christmas, but think this is a super idea for a Princess Camp that friends put on each year. I make the little Love Gifts that are periodically left on the girls' beds. Glitter lotion is a perfect bedtime treat. Especially with one of the cute poems attached.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #860
Mad Swapper

I wanted to contribute a recipe I started taking to holiday gatherings years and years ago. It is called "Grasshopper Pie". I put some of the crust ingredients over the top and had some of the young ones ask me what that was on top. I told them "chopped grasshoppers". They'd give me a funny look and continue eating.

Grasshopper Pie

2 cups finely crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (I use about 25 Oreos)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1/4 cup green creme de menthe
2 cups whipping cream, whipped

Combine cookie crumbs and butter; set aside 1/4 cup crumb mixture for garnish. Press remaining mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Chill 1 hour before filling.

Combine marshmallow creme and creme de menthe, mixing well; fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared crust, and sprinkle with the reserved crumbs. Freeze mixture 8 hours. Yield: 8 to 16 servings depending on size.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #861
Glitter Guru

I made a half batch of the lotion last night as well! It is so fast and easy, and my lotion had the texture of whipped cream! So luxurious!! I think I will try to make it with a 'shimmer' lotion instead of the baby lotion and see how it works.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #862
Proud Fan Club Member

Smile Paws2ink - You've officially been published!

Quote:
Please include it! I'm glad it's worthy, lol!! Go ahead and use my name. It's the only way I'm ever going to be published, !
Dawna, although I've not posted the updated version of my original document (cookbook is in the works, but more on that in a few..) I thought I'd let you know, YOU HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED!!! You granted permission, so I went and added your bacon and eggs to the current document/idea book.

There haven't been enough changes to my original one, at least in my mind, for posting an update here yet (in case anyone reads this), but I thought I'd write you HERE now, and see if "Ms. Paws2ink", you would like to have me e-mail you a copy?...You can see for yourself! Hope that brings a smile??

BTW, your craft show display and items were a WOW. You really put quite a lot of work into everything!

~smiles~ Barbara
Old 11-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #863
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Dawna, although I've not posted the updated version of my original document (cookbook is in the works, but more on that in a few..) I thought I'd let you know, YOU HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED!!! You granted permission, so I went and added your bacon and eggs to the current document/idea book.

There haven't been enough changes to my original one, at least in my mind, for posting an update here yet (in case anyone reads this), but I thought I'd write you HERE now, and see if "Ms. Paws2ink", you would like to have me e-mail you a copy?...You can see for yourself! Hope that brings a smile??

BTW, your craft show display and items were a WOW. You really put quite a lot of work into everything!

~smiles~ Barbara
Woo HOOO!!! YES, YES, YES!! I would love to get it now!!

Thanks for checking out my gallery! I've been making the clipboards all year. I actually have 29 photos, 4 boards in each, but thought that might get a little tiresome to post, lol!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #864
Proud Fan Club Member

An apology, an explanation and more, please read

First off, I want to start with an apology. My first one goes specifically to Suzy_H who started this thread, and I have sent her a PM as well, on top of making a public apology now. Next I'd like to apologize to everyone who has posted a recipe or an idea. I'm apologizing for several reasons. Here I go..

Suzy_H started this thread, and had been compiling a document with all the recipes and ideas. She deserves so much credit here for that, and I want everyone to know that I never meant to hurt her, nor anyone by my own post of my creation of a new document. I would never, ever, try to undermine, nor hurt anyone intentionally, in any way. If I have, please know I most sincerely did not intend that to be.

For those who have submitted recipes and ideas that did not show up in my document, I apologize for that as well. It was not meant to be interpreted as any indication that I didn't feel your recipe or idea wasn't worthy enough to be included. I truly mean that.

I started creating my document from the other thread that began this year, and many of you here I've notice are posting in both threads. My project began as something for my own personal use, and it was suggested that I post it for all to use. While in the process of creating this, I also found this thread here, and began to read it from the beginning. There were SO many recipes, especially baking ones as an example, that my brain went into the mode of creating/using those for a document on its own. Yes, I had included some recipes from both threads (I can't recall now, it gets confusing to be honest), and I at first thought to try to input only the ones that were perhaps just easier, or fewer ingredients, and then I began to add in others. It wasn't a ruling out of one over another, I promise. I also realized that I hadn't been including names, which I have posted about that already. In my work field, I've just become trained not to include a name (in investigator groups) without first checking with the person who gave me the suggestion or tip, so I guess that thinking worked its way into my document by default. I want to give EVERYONE credit for their recipe or idea, and ask that anyone who wishes, please PM me with your idea name or recipe/name and what you want me to add. I can easily make those changes, and want to do so.

Everyone has been so kind here, giving not only their recipes/ideas, but their time to post for all of us to read and use. I personally appreciate that beyond words. If I have hurt ANYONE by what I had started as a document, be it by not including a recipe, or not including a name OR including a name/anecdote, I so very much apologize. Again, my intent now is to create a new working document of just the recipes for all to use. I wish to have this for myself, as all these have been so wonderful, and many I've never seen nor heard of. It seemed as though I was getting a thumbs up from folks for this as well. Credit will be given in it to Suzy_H for starting this thread, which I suspect got the new thread this year going, I'm not sure. However, she deserves credit for all the hard work she has put into her own version/document. I admit I think in a certain way, so my way of creating this document by category of recipes/ideas, then within those categories ,the names of them..gosh, that apparently is just how I think/work. I'd like to create the new "recipe only" one the same way, cakes, treats, or however it is decided works best for everyone here.

So, with all that said, for anyone here who has downloaded my document, and then wondered why their recipe/idea wasn't included, please know it was not meant to be hurtful. I was simply trying to juggle both threads, and how to best create a document, a trial one I suppose. I know I'm probably repeating myself here, but once I saw how many actual recipes alone were being submitted, my brain went into "that should be a book of its own" mode. So, your recipes were not overlooked, nor decided to excluded.

Sorry if this is a bit of a "downer" post, but my heart just hurt so much when I discovered that ANYONE here or on the other thread might have been hurt by something that was never meant to hurt a soul. I hope that anyone who was did get upset/hurt, will write me, (PM or e-mail), to let me know, and more importantly, so I can apologize personally, and not just here to the entire thread.

To try to close on a HAPPY note, the recipe file/book should be completed by Thanksgiving, or at least by the end of the holiday weekend! I welcome any and all suggestions from all.

Most sincerely - Barbara
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #865
Gallery Gazer

Thanks Barbara for your hard work!! Let's all know about the "book"!!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #866
Rubber Obsessor

The really great thing about SCS is that everyone contributes. Each comment adds. I really appreciate the one's who began to share their thoughts, ideas and talents. I am really excited about having a document I can refer to throughout the years -- expect to be cooking and making presents a long time -- need every bit of help I can get. Thanks Barbara for merging and organizing for us.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #867
Gallery Gazer

Any more GREAT ideas (which they have all been) out there??
Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #868
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Thanks Barbara for your hard work!! Let's all know about the "book"!!
will we able able to get/buy book?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #869
Proud Fan Club Member

Wink THE book, LOL... SCS Baking

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
will we able able to get/buy book?
If the darn things isn't too large, I'm posting it here for everyone to download, and do with it as they wish!

IF it is too large, I can break it into pieces, and have folks combine it back into one document on their computer. I suspect some might not like THAT plan too much.

SO, once completed, if it is too large to post here, I will POST to both threads that the document IS NOW READY. Everyone will have to email me as that will then be the ONLY way I can send it.

Sending me a PM for it won't work, because I cannot attach a document within a PM response. My email addy isn't a big secret, so when I do post, I'll include my e-mail addy right within the same post. Of course the usual way of clicking on my name (next to my mug shot), and choosing "send an email" will work too....I think that's how it's done, right?

I need some LOVELY input ladies. Seriously. WE all think/work differently. Now with this document I was working with following the basic format of how many cookbooks are done up. BUT that may not work too well with some of the recipes. I have not re-read every last recipe, but I have read almost all of them at least twice......because I'm trying to figure out categories, etc. We can have a "Simple snacks" section, or a "Gifts in a jar" recipe section, etc. ANY IDEAS, please, now is the time to start shooting them over to me, here, PM, or by e-mail. Cookies, rolled, bars, etc., that shouldn't be too tough to figure out. I think I remember something about some of the Oreo ones. What do you folks think some of those should be categorized as? If you posted one of those recipes, perhaps you might be able to jump in.....

TO starting simple. Requesting preference for the FONT SIZE??? Not everyone likes the same style of font, and not everyone can read the same size easily. YES, of course you could highlight the entire document, and change it all at once to the font style you prefer, and the size. HOWEVER, I know not everyone wants to fiddle with things on their computer, and often, well...it is easier for some to just leave it as it is.

OK: Trying to start with the basics first
Ladies..poll going....drum roll, and NOW the call for a poll.....

RECIPE FONT SIZE PREFERENCE?? ___________???

The RECIPE NAME will be in bold, underlined, and I think perhaps larger (no?) than the recipe itself. AGREE or DO NOT AGREE ______________??

FONT STYLE (NAME) PREFERENCE __________?? ( an easy to read or more decorative) You can give an actual font name if you know one you prefer...

An example can be seen in my first trial run at creating this type of document posted on the thread. The font size in there is 13 point. The titles are the same size, just underlined and in bold (if I remember correctly). Font style is called "Veranda". The font style was chosen as it appears to be one of the more easier styles for most to read. Size, was just by chance, to be honest. Once going, I just kept it all the same, or at least I tried.

Above I simply tried to show the difference with font size ideas, although here we don't have the same set-up for fonts & size as in the Word program. I was going for a visual aid.

SO, once again - FONT SIZE FOR RECIPES???
FONT SIZE LARGER AND IN BOLD FOR RECIPE TITLES???
FONT STYLE PREFERENCE? (ease of reading, or stylized & decorative?

THANK YOU! ANY suggestions are REALLY helpful and needed for this project! ~ Barbara
Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #870
Cardstock Collector

Subscribing to this amazing thread
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #871
Rubber Obsessor

A couple of suggestions: As I get older I really appreciate reading in point 12. Why not keep it all that size and bold the recipe titles. Bump up the categories to 16.

Categories: Food Gifts, Family Classics, Non-food Recipes

I'm throwing these out because it is so much easier to edit than to think. Remember, we trust you Barbara
Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #872
Proud Fan Club Member

Smile Suggestions appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevLinda View Post
A couple of suggestions: As I get older I really appreciate reading in point 12. Why not keep it all that size and bold the recipe titles. Bump up the categories to 16.

Categories: Food Gifts, Family Classics, Non-food Recipes

I'm throwing these out because it is so much easier to edit than to think. Remember, we trust you Barbara
Heck only 12 point?? I'm teasing, but shoot that's why I went with at least 13 on the other document. I wanted it larger, for easy reading, but I'll need to try printing a few to see how they look. (I've JUST started to need reading glasses) Oh, and I agree categories larger size than the recipes and titles.

FONT STYLE?? There are SO many to choose from, but I've found some of the most common ones used aren't the easiest to read. And I'm trying to think practically, as I visualize we'll be trying to BAKE/COOK something, so we don't want to have to lean and squint in order to figure out what the heck to add/do next.

Just my opinions as well. Printing and testing tomorrow might be a good way to find out and report back.

Thanks for the input, as I TRULY can use any ideas right now! LIKE the category ideas...much more simple/easier than I was thinking.

Good night to all ~ Barbara
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #873
Hardware Hotshot

doin the bump!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #874
Watercolor Wizard

I suggest Arial as the font. I think it is the easiest to read.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #875
Die Cut Diva

I like Times New Roman as a font.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #876
Polyshrink Goddess

Any font which would be easy to read would be wonderful!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #877
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethneu View Post
When I give edible gifts their the standout gifts. I still have people every year ask about the banana chocolate chip bread. Or caramel nutcakes in a jar......their so cool because you can bake them in a mason jar! And once the lid is on they keep for about 6 months, so you can make them way ahead of time.

I've got two really great books full of food gifts, they're from Goosberry Patch called "Gifts for Giving" and "More gifts for giving". Amazon sells them or you can get them from the gooseberrypatch.com website.

I absolutely love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. They have awesome ideas and recipes. I've used both of the ones you mentioned before for gifts.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #878
Proud Fan Club Member

Question Font size samples: Might help w/suggestions?

If you choose to download this document - it will show various fonts (many that have been suggested here or via other methods -PM/E-mail, etc.)

Please be sure to check that you are viewing this document at 100% size, so you'll have an accurate sample/idea. It really gives a nice example of how different fonts and sizes can make such a difference.

Now I have gone and printed this as a sample for my own reference, and it was interesting to see how it came out on paper.

SO - for those who've made suggestions, and the curious ones who might want to "see" what ideas they LIKE, then... PLEASE LOOK!

I tried to make this as easy to follow, and consistent in how it was presented here. I hope I caught every font/size correctly!

Thanks for taking the time to look, as it might help the "Font Style & Size" suggestion poll!

~ Happy Thursday Everyone~
Barbara
Attached Files
File Type: doc Font Choices Demo.doc (33.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #879
Watercolor Wizard

Seriously I am fine with anything you choose. I am not picky. I am just thankful that you are doing this.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #880
Proud Fan Club Member

Font doc - geez, I even TRIPLE checked it...

The first set, VERANDA SIZE 13 & TIMES SIZE 13 titles, are BOTH VERANDA! DARN! I know that I triple checked every section to make sure. (I found another small error too, sighs...the perfectionist in me is showing BTW!)

That said, printed out vs. just looking at the screen really was a WOW moment for me, as some that appeared harder to read, weren't at all. Some that didn't seem to have much difference on the screen showed real variances on paper, etc. Some others showed up on paper appearing as ones NOT easy to read at ALL. Comic Sans MS actually showed up better on paper, and had a "non-office" feel to it. It was a nice review for myself here, as I get stuck on one font due to work.

I can set it up with one Font Style and Size, and then as need be, all anyone has to do is e-mail me ([email protected]), and I can make a change in a snap for your personal style choice once it is finished. But for a start, ONE font style that works for most would be the best bet...

Sorry about the boo-boo with the Veranda vs. Times style in the beginning. Well, these things happen, even when TRIPLE checked! I wonder if my computer just simply wants to default to Veranda to get back at me, since I think it is upset w/me right now. I know, I'm talking as if computers have feelings.. (I swear, my computer sometimes seems to have a mind of its own....) I do believe it has not been happy w/me lately, since I've had to type, type, type, & try to work on both of these documents at the same time, ALL DAY LONG. It's getting a beating...poor little laptop! I AM backing it up daily, since I'm scared of it blowing up on me here, LOL!!

OK - well, just thought I'd toss out a comparison for everyone, seeing that I've had more than 6 different font suggestions, plus questions about doing something more stylish. Not sure what font would be considered "stylish", as that is a subjective term in my mind. Keep the suggestions coming!

Have a Happy DAY!!!!!!!!
Barbara