Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #41
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by merollinView Post
I started making my own stamped cards over 20 years ago. Dimensional paper piecing became my go-to technique. Every stamp I have has been lovingly chosen because I can use it for multiple card ideas. That has morphed into combining stamped images with die cut images...LOVE my Big Shot! Cards are still created and have morphed into creating mini photo albums. I decided to sell at holiday craft shows...sold out at my first show and now I'm hooked on mini albums. LOVE making my own flowers, adding unusual embellishments and challenging myself to meet the requirements of special orders from customers that are amazed at what I produce. I know something is worthy of being sold if it amazes me as I'm working on it!! Yes, tons of supplies are stored in plastic drawers as they wait for their turn to be used. When people want to visit, I tell them that I live in a working craft studio with furniture crammed in...ha! ha! My sales serve more than just stroking my ego. Being on a very limited retirement fixed income, album sales do come in handy. I do have friends that don't seem to have any hobbies...and I wonder just how long they can sit and do nothing but watch TV. My days are filled with the joys of inky fingers, picking just the right adhesive for each step of my albums, creating gorgeous dimensional flowers, fussy cutting delightful images, discovering the beauty of working with seam binding bows, cleaning up micro-beads that bounce everywhere, checking Pinterest and YouTube for inspiration...the list goes on and on. No crossword or search puzzles are necessary to stimulate my brain...my brain is challenged to use all the supplies that I have accumulated over my years of crafting. I've found a terrific way to keep my brain cells alive! Crafting with paper is filled with such variety! I seriously doubt that I will ever run out of ideas. I can open a drawer and see something I haven't used for a while and a light bulb comes on with a dozen ways to use that item on cards and albums. I really don't expect anyone to understand what stimulates my creative brain into action. My kids don't "get it" and that's OK. I am making this world a prettier place and I like that. YES!
I would LOVE to see some of your creations! Do you have an Instagram account or blog or anything where you post photos? I'm inspired just reading about what you do!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
katzarm and bjeans like this post.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #42
Inking Addict

I started with stamping and card making about 30 years ago. Then I thought I would make scrapbooks for our thousands of pictures and use the scraps for cards. I made some nice scrapbooks, but never loved the process. I got a Cricut Explore and got re-energized. I love designing in Design Space. Recently I found mini albums. I am in love. I find designing mini albums so much more rewarding than regular scrapbooking. I will still make cards, but I look at paper crafting in a whole new light. And I will finally get those pictures into albums. It is great that there are many avenues to create with paper!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #43
Inking Addict

gregzgurl.....Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to post photos anywhere. I'm a firm believer in having hard copy prints made at a local store. I know just enough to be able to buy paper supplies not carried by our small, local shops. I don't do any social media stuff...my kids tell me I'm wa-a-ay behind the times! I learned about creating mini albums by watching YouTube (an injury kept me home for quite a few months so my son taught me about YT)...that's pretty modern for me. All my photo albums are designed for standard 4" x 6" photos right out of printers. My customers don't seem to like doing the work of cropping. Beautiful stick pins are the latest embellishments I've learned to make. And I really loving hanging bead charms off the spine of my albums...all thanks to YT. I'm perfectly happy with my old flip phone. Those smart phones scare me! Guess that tells you how old I am. So, thanks for asking about me...much appreciated. I found out about this site from a fellow customer at a local craft store...so glad! Happy paper crafting to all!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #44
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by merollinView Post
gregzgurl.....Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to post photos anywhere. I'm a firm believer in having hard copy prints made at a local store. I know just enough to be able to buy paper supplies not carried by our small, local shops. I don't do any social media stuff...my kids tell me I'm wa-a-ay behind the times! I learned about creating mini albums by watching YouTube (an injury kept me home for quite a few months so my son taught me about YT)...that's pretty modern for me. All my photo albums are designed for standard 4" x 6" photos right out of printers. My customers don't seem to like doing the work of cropping. Beautiful stick pins are the latest embellishments I've learned to make. And I really loving hanging bead charms off the spine of my albums...all thanks to YT. I'm perfectly happy with my old flip phone. Those smart phones scare me! Guess that tells you how old I am. So, thanks for asking about me...much appreciated. I found out about this site from a fellow customer at a local craft store...so glad! Happy paper crafting to all!
Can I come to your house to play?
gregzgurl likes this post.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #45
Matboard Maniac

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
About 12 years ago, I caught the bug and a friends house. I remember seeing her room and all of her stuff and thinking this is a girl's dream room. Flash forward about 3 years and I had a pretty good collection of goodies myself. Becoming an SU demo and having a great regular club made that a reality. Flash forward to today, my ever growing stash is now all in Evernote, just so I can keep track and find things quickly. I have my own main floor craft space and it's my happy place. No, people who don't stamp, don't get it but that's fine with me. Having moved last July down to South Florida, I miss my stamping buddies up in Sand Lake, NY. I find I'm lonely down here, but very thankful to my online stampin' friends, they keep me sane.
Where in Florida do you live? I am from Florida too!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #46
Inking Addict

gregsgurl.....Come to Kelso, WA and join me!
gregzgurl likes this post.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #47
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I just checked out Meetup and there aren't any groups in my area. So I went to start my own only to find it would cost me almost $30 Can PER MONTH!! Not cool.

Anyway, I have no crafty friends. I did have one but when we went to CHA, she didn't come back to the room until almost 5 am and I laid awake all night worrying about her and even called the cops! I thought she had been murdered or kidnapped. She had been messing around with a guy even tho she was married at the time. She wasn't even sorry. I was disgusted that she didn't have the decency to take her phone with her or tell me she was ok. So that ended. I've not spoken to her again after I stopped her off at her house.

I've been adding up my goodies lately, I store it all in My Stuff Pro, and I'm starting to worry we need more insurance to cover my hobby! Anyone ever thought of that? Because we know if there is a fire, no insurance adjuster is going to understand that we have thousands (ahem, tends of thousands) of $ invested in paper and stamps.

I have over 6,300 stamps. I'm guessing the total is more like 8-9,000. I have untold sheets of paper, paints, brushes and tools I don't even list in the program! I'm working to get it all in there. BTW, I know a lot of people like Evernote. But I found an awesome feature to this program that I don't think Evernote has. There is a Used button you can hit that records the date with the item. That way you can see what you use most! And more importantly, what you don't!!

My family thinks I'm crazy but my hubby puts up with it pretty well as he sees how happy it makes me. I recently had an unhappy design team experience and he almost begged me to quit as he saw that it wasn't fun anymore. He's really sweet about it. He loves to go on vacations but doesn't complain that I use up all of the $!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

I love how the responses come from all sorts of places and different ages of people. They all have their own special story, but the theme seems to be the same for all of them, as it is for me. This craft makes me happy! I have always been a craft person an been involved with almost every craft over the years. When my kids were little I sewed, knitted, crocheted their clothes and mine, decorated our house with decoupage, macrame, quilting, embroidery and ceramics. I learned a new craft every year to make each kid an ornament for the Christmas tree. (which I still do, by the way, even though they are in their 40 and now there are grandchildren to make ornaments for). That introduced me to dough art, paper folding, painting on glass, shrinky dinks etc. Sewing was by far my most favorite hobby. I made all my career clothes when I went back to work after the kids were grown. Then as retirement was a few years away, wondered what I would do with my time. I certainly wouldn't need any more clothes---I wouldn't even need all that I had. Luckily, I was invited to join a group of stampers by one of my teachers in my building where I was the principal. I hesitated as I was sure it wasn't for me, but I went anyway as they were such great people. Once we embossed the greeting on the card we stamped, I was hooked---just like that! I started with 3 plastic drawers that held all my supplies and then some, to having an entire room to call my craft room. (I used to share the guest room with my sewing room.) Now I stamp most of all days, making and giving away hundreds, maybe thousands, of cards a year. I love it so completely, I don't care what happens to the cards I labored over for hours, after they leave my hands. Enough of the recipients give me positive feedback, that it sends me soaring with pleasure. My daughter and I have been getting together for an annual stamping session (mostly so she can make her Christmas cards and birthday cards for the year and maybe some thank yous) even though until 3 years ago we lived across country from each other (now we just half a country away). What joy this brings me as she is amazing. At my present location I am a member of a stamping club that boasts over 50 members and meets once a month with many side groups. How lucky I am to have found a true should sister among the group that feels the same way I do about stamping, lives close and loves to "play" almost any time. Words cannot explain what joy this craft gives me and I know those that are uninitiated, don't get "a whole room with cabinets, shelves, work tables and tons of supplies" for just making cards is all about. I don't even try to explain, as I am smiling from ear to ear just being there among all those beautiful things!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

So fun to hear all of you crafters singing the same song. Some people really don't get what it takes and the love that goes into making a special card but, my family now expects a great card for all of their birthdays, anniversaries, other events. It is a choir to keep it all under control; family usually does not go into my craft room unless I invite them in. They are amazed at how I can store so many items.

Eloise

Last edited by ejluyk; 07-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: typing error