Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #1241
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
The bacon that comes with them is annoying- has rind left on lots of slices, so I only buy it when it's dirt cheap, lol!

These are thin for stencils, but the other poster's idea about tealight holders- I can see that happening. The plastic is just translucent enough, and thin enough to bend if I wanted round. Hm... good ideas, ladies!

DH still thinks I'm nuts to be washing and drying the plastic from the bacon, though!
Guess I use them more as masks---for sponging through---than for stencils that you would draw around.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 06-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #1242
Insane Embellisher

Great ideas here!

I use junk mail and the boxes that prepared food comes in. Either I cover the heavy paper with Gesso or other images and use them as my backgrounds. I do mostly mixed media and these are too good to throw away.
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Unread 06-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #1243
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buried Treasures View Post
Great ideas here!

I use junk mail and the boxes that prepared food comes in. Either I cover the heavy paper with Gesso or other images and use them as my backgrounds. I do mostly mixed media and these are too good to throw away.
I saw in your gallery that you make those cute doll tags. Do you attach them to cards? Or how do you use them?
I still haven't caught up with the "how to draw with copics" trend which I am sure it not really a trend anymore. I do own a few copics though from a class I took. But now I forget all the "rules" for how to use them.
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Unread 06-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #1244
Polyshrink Goddess

I watched a video on using Tombow markers and the blending marker like the Chameleon markers. I would try it but my blender marker has dried up. I must get a new one.
rhub likes this post.
Unread 06-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #1245
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh and how to make a MISTI with a DVD case....I have to try that.
Janet1000 likes this post.
Unread 06-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #1246
Polyshrink Goddess

Oooo! Have you seen that done? The Misti from a DVD case?

I made my own stamp-a-majig from legos I "borrowed" from my great-granddaughter. Made a double decker L shape and it works just fine.
PikkuLilla and Janet1000 like this post.
Unread 06-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #1247
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes. It was posted on Frugalcrafter blog/youtube and I went and did it just now.
Unread 06-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #1248
Die Cut Diva

I always find great buys at The Dollar Store. Example: dollies on cards are big now, and you can find 100 of them for $1 vs. paying the big prices with craft companies.

Also, many crochet threads look just like Bakers Twine. I shop Goodwill and other thrift stores and find Baker Twine-like-threads for a fraction of the cost.

Don't forget to check garage sales. I google Craigslist, my city and then in the search bar, type arts and crafts, or scrapbook, or Creative Memories, or embellishments, or Stampin Up, etc. etc. It will pull up specific sales in your area where people are getting rid of usually great items at a fraction of the cost! I get real excited when I can make beautiful cards for pennies with treasures found at garage sales! 😀
Scarlett Kaye, PikkuLilla and Janet1000 like this post.
Unread 06-07-2015, 12:00 AM   #1249
Crimping Master

I used a craft mat as a gelli plate for 6 months before I purchased a real gelli plate. Any flat, water proof surface will work.

One thing I did learn is the photocopy paper I get inside my cannon color ink cartridges (the Kodak paper that comes with the ink) is wonderful with alcohol inks. I used it in many different applications and it came out very nice. And it was free to me. It's really glossy paper and the alcohol floats and blooms on it. It die cuts nicely also.
hoptownracer1 and Scarlett Kaye like this post.
Unread 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #1250
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I saw in your gallery that you make those cute doll tags. Do you attach them to cards? Or how do you use them?
I don't do anything with the tags. I give them to people in lieu of greeting cards. I usually personalize them for the recipient.
Unread 06-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #1251
Inking Addict

great ideas!
Unread 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #1252
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covington Crafter View Post
As another reuse option, check your local thrift stores for supplies. I've found some great stamps, punches and other supplies there.
Some of the gals at Club Posh (another online stamping forum) would cut off the top flaps of pizza boxes and use the bottom for stamp storage. Some of them had recycled old wooden desks and narrow cabinets into stamp storage by fastening 1" x 1" (or bigger) pieces of wood to the insides with wood screws so that the pizza boxes slid inside like a skinny drawer. And then they painted everything white, so it looked clean and coordinated.

I saw an idea the other day for a cheap watercolor palette -- a woman laminated a piece of white cardstock (to see true colors) and let the ink dry on it. She said she always used an aqua brush, so she could reactivate the ink easily to paint with again.

I was looking for a way to stack my bead boxes. A woman on You tube had made a stacker shelf for her embellishment boxes with a box and pieces of cardboard, but I wondered how many she had made to get it just right, because no matter what I did, I could not get the shelves to come out even in my box and finally gave up in disgust. Then I visited a thrift store and somebody had just donated a bunch of the same kind of copypaper stacker bins, like 10 or 11, which I grabbed. I went home, stacked them and tied them together with plastic ties and wha la, shelves for my embellishment boxes. (see photos in next post below)

Somebody told me about a sponge dauber using a sponge and a clothespin. Take a round yellow sponge (like the kind used for cleaning clay or ceramic greenware), cut it into four wedges, and pinch two cut sides of one piece between the pinchers on the clothespin and I have one for every color in the rainbow! I have one of those round wheels like Tim Holtz uses to hold his square daubers in that I found in a thrift store and each of the slots holds one clothespin. It works great!

Mary Englebreit uses one of those large fluffy makeup brushes like the kind used for face powder to whisk eraser crumbs away. I expect that would work for crumbly sponges too!

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 07-06-2015 at 11:21 PM..
Unread 06-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #1253
Mad Swapper

Maybe you'll have better success at it than I did, but here's the video of the embellishment box = https://youtu.be/LbIhMyocCgU
She also has other interesting project videos.

Here's my storage solution:

And here's a photo of the sponge dauber:

And what will I use for ribbon storage once all the paper tubes are removed from paper towels and toilet tissue? Have you seen the commercial on TV yet? I wrap my loose ribbon that I've purchased in bags from thrift stores and a children's museum re-store around the flattened paper tubes and store them upright in these vintage office index card catalog boxes I found at a thrift store.

And you know about this website for some copic coloring techniques, right? I Like Markers

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 06-29-2015 at 02:13 PM..
Maxell, hoptownracer1 and Scarlett Kaye like this post.
Unread 07-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #1254
Stampin' Fool

I like your sponge daubers!!! Whoever suggested making an inventory sheet/binder to keep up with ink colors was so helpful! It keeps me from buying the same or similar colors, and has saved me unneeded purchases. It reminds me of what I already have.
Rush'd Lady and melissa59 like this post.
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #1255
Mad Swapper

Jennifer McGuire Ink Swatch Book, https://youtu.be/W9LAnJxviJQ
Scarlett Kaye likes this post.
Unread 09-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #1256
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Oh, hers is way fancier than mine!
I colored some papers with Kool-Aid (actually Flavor-Aid) Mixed the Kool-aid and water in a spritz bottle along with some glittery eye shadow for shimmer. Mixed well and sprayed. Then after it dried, I spritzed it with alcohol and ran it through my cuttlebug. I ironed the more stubborn pieces that were curling.

I also colored some papers using reinkers (that were gifted to me). I used a mixture of reinker, water and eye shadow in spritzer for the blue. For the peach, I applied the reinker to a sponge and smeared it across the page.

Rush'd Lady, berlycece and Scarlett Kaye like this post.
Unread 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #1257
Cardstock Collector

Pintrest, pintrest, and more pintrest. You can waste soooo much time on there, but there are so many fantastic DIY ideas and cool ways to re-purpose things. I get most of my crafty home decor ideas from there.
Unread 09-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #1258
Mad Swapper

That's interesting dye and I bet it smells good. Never thought about using glittery eye shadow. What did you use to crush it back to a powder? And how does it go through the mister nozzle?
I have several boxes of RIT clothing dye I want to try in misters and I wondered how dry tempra paint or crushed watercolor paint would work for Bisters. Has anyone tried that yet?
I still like this thread though! That's why I keep coming back!
Unread 09-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #1259
Crimping Master

I remember seeing this on YouTube about using Rit dye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1WguOBgg4http://

The water color paint is easy - just drop it into the sprayer and shake. You would probably have to shake it every time you wanted to use the sprayer to keep the pigment moving/evenly distributed.

Tempura Paint - give it a try. Don't see why it wouldn't work as long as it was watered down enough to spray.
Unread 09-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #1260
Stampin' Fool

Smile

I used the LA Colors eye shadow with brush. It is already loose, just have to remove the top and sprinkle some in your mister; then shake well. They have it at a lot of the dollar stores for .99 cents; I even found one on clearance for .50.
The only Koolaid that I still smell faintly on the paper is the grape. But it smells like a Koolaid factory when your'e spraying them all.
Going to have to try some of these other methods too! Sounds interesting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
That's interesting dye and I bet it smells good. Never thought about using glittery eye shadow. What did you use to crush it back to a powder? And how does it go through the mister nozzle?
I have several boxes of RIT clothing dye I want to try in misters and I wondered how dry tempra paint or crushed watercolor paint would work for Bisters. Has anyone tried that yet?
I still like this thread though! That's why I keep coming back!
Unread 09-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #1261
Mad Swapper

This is what I meant about using dry tempra paint powder or the dry Rit powder like Bisters (video has English subtitles), https://youtu.be/Q-JZ6OwRuu8
Unread 09-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #1262
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush'd Lady View Post
This is what I meant about using dry tempra paint powder or the dry Rit powder like Bisters (video has English subtitles), https://youtu.be/Q-JZ6OwRuu8
Now I get what you are saying. Bister is like the Color Burst product I've seen coming out. May even be the same thing, but a new name for the USA market.

You have a good idea with this. Rit fabric dye is very intense color so it might work like Bister or Color Burst. It is mixed with water, so that would be how it is activated. I would drop it by dust particles though - a very light hand because it is so intense that it tends to all look black if applied in it's original form.

Come to think of it, I have a bunch of Procion fabric dyes from my quilting days. I should pull that out and see what it will do on water color paper.

Last edited by Janet1000; 09-20-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Rush'd Lady likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #1263
Insane Embellisher

I was headed toward the craft store last night to get some dark green paper for Christmas cards. I was thinking that I have so much card stock, it is ridiculous to have to buy more. Then it dawned on me. I could use the Gelli plate to make gorgeous dark green cardstock. If I use several different shades of green, and use texture (i.e. bubblewrap, etc), I could come up with my own green cardstock that would be more beautiful than buying a solid color. Light bulb moment!
Paula in GA and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #1264
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to Challenor

My sister gave me a Gelli plate for Christmas but I haven't used it yet because I have no clue what to do with it. What it is so special about it? What kind of ink do you use with it? I haven't gotten into the mixed media trend and my cards are primarily CAS style.

Quote:
I was headed toward the craft store last night to get some dark green paper for Christmas cards. I was thinking that I have so much card stock, it is ridiculous to have to buy more. Then it dawned on me. I could use the Gelli plate to make gorgeous dark green cardstock. If I use several different shades of green, and use texture (i.e. bubblewrap, etc), I could come up with my own green cardstock that would be more beautiful than buying a solid color. Light bulb moment!
Unread 10-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #1265
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenor View Post
My sister gave me a Gelli plate for Christmas but I haven't used it yet because I have no clue what to do with it. What it is so special about it? What kind of ink do you use with it? I haven't gotten into the mixed media trend and my cards are primarily CAS style.
It's basically an easy way to do mono-printing.
I use acrylic paints and a brayer, and add dimension / layers with art stencils.
Go to YouTube, there are lots of good videos to show the technique.
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #1266
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
It's basically an easy way to do mono-printing.
I use acrylic paints and a brayer, and add dimension / layers with art stencils.
Go to YouTube, there are lots of good videos to show the technique.
I whole heartedly recommend this. YouTube has great videos on Gelli Plates or Gelli Prints.

*Buy cheap craft acrylic paints - I get mine for 88 cents or 99 cents per bottle. They spread and mix easier. Buy your basic, primary colors first. You can make any other color from those and buy other colors as you learn.
*Use common house hold items as stencils or stamps (TP rolls, combs, bubble wrap, junk mail), or make your own tools out of cardboard (combing, masking).
*Learn the idea of layering colors from YouTube. Check out the Packing Tape method also.
* Create your own DSP. I die cut flowers, fish, birds, trees - anything out of my Gelli prints for cards. I've created stunning backgrounds for cards also. I've used Gelli to give scrap paper cards a unified/matching look.
* If you get a print that doesn't excite you, or you don't know how you could use it, then print on it again. Sometimes I have printed on the same piece of paper over 9 times before something showed up that I liked.
* You don't need to use expensive paper - don't use water color paper. All my early prints were on copy paper and I kept printing on those sheets till I got something I wanted. I now use card stock - but just 65lb stock because I will do 3-5 prints on it.

It's addictive and fun. You were given the expensive part of it. So go get some cheap acrylic paints and a bryer (must have), log onto YouTube, pour yourself a glass of wine, and have a great time.

I do not work for any companies that sell these products. Just thought I should say that after this long post...
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #1267
Crimping Master

I was tempted to buy a set of the Bisto paints on Amazon till I asked myself what different color or look was I going to get from these that my water colors, DIY misters, alcohol inks, and Gelli plate could not provide. Deleted it out of my cart.
Buried Treasures likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #1268
Crimping Master

I die cut words like Hello, or Enjoy, or holiday sentiments. I usually die cut them out of black card stock. Then I saw that people were stacking these words so they stood out more - great idea. Now, I cut one black one and die cut the rest out of junk mail or magazine subscription cards and glue those all together and then glue the nice one on top. I have also die cut out of chip board from various packaging boxes and glued the nice one on top. I have used a black or blue Sharpie to color the sides of the words.

Now I die cut these words out of all scraps of paper, or white card stock, that isn't big enough to do anything with. I do not cut a million little flowers or hearts out of my scraps - but I do die cut these sentiments. I can either use the sentiment as is, or glue it into a stack for better dimension.
Unread 10-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #1269
Crimping Master

I can't say enough positive things about paint chips from the hardware store. I have used those for flowers, butterfly, dragon fly, tags, and word dies. The bigger ones can be used for any die really.

They come in every possible color so you are bound to find a perfect color match. Behr paint makes the large paint chips which are wonderful for crafting. I have positioned the die so the little Behr bear logo shows in my cuts once in a while.

Paint chips come in matte or glossy also. I have die cut words out of the chips and gotten an ombre look by straddling the die over all 3 colors.
Unread 10-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #1270
Die Cut Diva

Wow! What a cool thread! I am still reading through all these great ideas! I am a bit OCD myself and I LOVE (probably thrive) on organization so this is great. Not to mention that I am also a love of the multi use. I got a cake plate that I turn over and can use for serving food or for flowers! Eeekk! I can barely stand the excitement so you can imagine how much I am loving this thread. I am trying to thins of a trick I use that hasn't been posted so I will come back to see what I can contribute.

However in the meantime, I do have one tip off the top of my head. I do keep mostly all my paper scraps and so on and make tags and ATC cards (which are smaller so don't require as much material). Works out great and I get another project out of stuff that would have been tossed by many.

The other is trade supplies and materials with fellow stampers locally and nationwide. If you have played before, I am currently running a Round Robin swap which I have done for years now and is posted on the link in my signature. For the cost of shipping, you get a box of items that you can swap out for your items in the convenience of your home. That's a great way to get more out of the things you have! Swap them out for new-to-you supplies and materials which refresh your stash!
boobookittysgranny likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #1271
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is another Pass your Stash thread, for those who might be interested.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...a-t603943.html
starpassion6 likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #1272
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobookittysgranny View Post
Here is another Pass your Stash thread, for those who might be interested.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...a-t603943.html
Oh yes, hey Dawn! Thanks for posting Sue's as well...meant to do that but ran to the shower instead...broke out in a sweat from these meds and had to cool off!
boobookittysgranny likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #1273
Polyshrink Goddess

Never heard of these swaps for stash before - wow! Sounds like fun. I will really have to consider this
starpassion6 likes this post.
Unread 10-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #1274
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperkids View Post
Never heard of these swaps for stash before - wow! Sounds like fun. I will really have to consider this
Yes, they are fun and a great way to refresh your items. You can sign up for as many as you like and join in the fun with all of us! My boxes leave on Monday the 19th of October and Sue's until November first or until it's full, so don't wait too long.
Unread 10-16-2015, 02:11 AM   #1275
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
So many are on a craft supply diet that I thought a thread of ways to make do with what we have may be of interest.

Today I needed yellow ribbon and I didn't have any. So I colored white ribbon with my yellow Copic marker . It worked so well I think I will only buy white or black ribbon in the future.

Last week I wanted pink pearls so I colored white ones with my Copics.
Copics work to color buttons too.
What are your ideas to make do instead of buy new ?
This is what I tend to do with most embellishments, it has the added bonus in that it ensures you get perfect colour co-ordination throughout your project if you are using your pens/inks to colour ribbons, flowers, pearls, brads etc so you don't have to worry about the flowers you order being the right shade etc.
Unread 10-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #1276
Insane Embellisher

Me too. I also discovered that on eBay you can get LOADS of ribbon, pearls, charms, etc. for amazingly low prices from China. Political convictions aside, they are a bargain and come within a few weeks. I think I got 50 yards of white 1/4" ribbon for .99 - free shipping. I have never had a problem with an item not arriving.

Oh, I just purchased 50 10mm flatback resin embellishments for 99 cents - free shipping. They are all white, but I can use alcohol inks to color.
Janet1000 likes this post.
Unread 10-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #1277
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Me too. I also discovered that on eBay you can get LOADS of ribbon, pearls, charms, etc. for amazingly low prices from China. Political convictions aside, they are a bargain and come within a few weeks. I think I got 50 yards of white 1/4" ribbon for .99 - free shipping. I have never had a problem with an item not arriving.

Oh, I just purchased 50 10mm flatback resin embellishments for 99 cents - free shipping. They are all white, but I can use alcohol inks to color.
I also buy embellishments really cheaply on ebay! Resin flowers, charms, ribbons, pearls. Sometimes for pennies! And with free shipping. It's insane what you can find.

Cards request for Al:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post21294892
Unread 10-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #1278
Crimping Master

I had no idea you could get that stuff on EBay at those prices. I will start shopping there.

Every time I look on E-Bay for dies or stamps, I find they are not that much cheaper than Amazon. And I get free shipping on Amazon. Guess I'm not looking for the right stuff.

Thanks for the tip.
Unread 10-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #1279
Insane Embellisher

Dies and stamps are a different story. It's the embellishments from China that are so cheap.
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #1280
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet1000 View Post
I had no idea you could get that stuff on EBay at those prices. I will start shopping there.

Every time I look on E-Bay for dies or stamps, I find they are not that much cheaper than Amazon. And I get free shipping on Amazon. Guess I'm not looking for the right stuff.

Thanks for the tip.
You have to be really patient. If I'm really after something, eventually I'll probably find it at a price I'll pay.

And I agree- the cheap from China things are embellishments, not stamps or dies. And you can search for charms, or specific charms, like heart charms. You can search for flat back resin, which will get you gems, pearls, flowers, etc. And once you find something, look at the other items the seller lists. It'll keep you busy for hours. I have bought tons of great embellishments on ebay. Sometimes when I can't afford much of anything, I'll buy a couple of less than a dollar items, just to satisfy the urge to buy. (I know- it's an obsession!)

Cards request for Al:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post21294892