Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna get Stazon off a ceramic tile?

After "ruining" several tiles that I was stmaping on by smearing the image or getting it off center, I found that Stazon can be removed from a ceramic tile by scrubbing with Lava soap. The kind that is in the pump bottle and has grit in it. Soft Scrub will probably work too, but I didn't have any.

I rubbed the tile with Stazon cleaner and then dabbed a soft cloth with lava soap and rubbed it in - hardly no scrubbing at all and it disappeared.
It even worked after the Stazon had dried.

Check out my gallery!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to let you know that this works on the Rialto and the slick ceramic tiles, but it does not work on the tumbled tiled. Sorry for the confusion.

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have not stamped on tiles yet but I would try polish remover.
Funny I found this I am going today to the store ( with 6 kids in toe) to get some tiles to make coasters for my craft fair this weekend. I wanted to make about 3 sets so i could see how they sell before my christmas fairs. next month.

Joszette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 04:58 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I love the glossy ceramic tiles. They are fun to ink and then emboss. I use the alcohol inks on them and get some great colors. And for less than $0.20 a tile, you can't beat the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 05:08 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Thanks for that great tip. I had a stamp camp on Oct 1, and some of my ladies messed up a few tiles. I saved them, so maybe I can go back and see if those will come clean. Thanks Again!

Melissa

Wife to Josh! Mommy to Justin & Jake
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

If you don't want to scrub or scratch your tiles, soak them in 90% rubbing alcohol. I do it all the time. I actually have 1 tile that I test images on that's probably been redone a couple dozen times. I poor the alcohol in, let it set. Then I change it once for a final time. Sometimes I've had to soak in bleach, but that was just when there was blue on the tile. You can also use rubbing alcohol to remove Sharpie. It works, I've done it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

You can also just practice the Polished Stone Technique. Unfortunately, the application of the Krylon and Denatured alcohol will take the Staz-on right off. (Figured out AFTER I spent many hours making tiles for an Anything but Cards swap -- sometimes doing the same step all at once isn't a good idea!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2005, 02:21 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Red face soaking tiles in bleach

has anyone soaked tumbled tiles in bleach? does the smell of bleach ever go away?
i just finished a craf fair and after being awake for over 36 hours, I tried to stamp up tumbled tile coasters to fill some orders I had taken. NOT A GOOD IDEA!! I ruined at least 20 tiles. Am searching for a way to clean stopping just short of sanding off top layer with my dremel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

I actually poured bleach on a tumbled tile that I had JUST finished stamping w/ stazon and NOTHING happened! I then scrubbed it w/ bleach and nothing came off. I was just seeing how well the stazon would hold up - obviously pretty good. I've never bothered soaking them overnight to remove the ink - I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have soaked tiles in bleach before and left it for days. Just kind of forgot about it. All the black staz-on came off. I did not scrub or anything just let it sit. I did not have a problem with a bleach smell afterward. I guess washing it well when done would get rid of the bleach smell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Magic Eraser

My first attempt at making the tiles was a real challenge for me. The stazon slipped and I would get frustrated and bake anyway. Then I hated the images, so I wanted to take it off. I just used my Mr. Clean magic eraser - worked really easy. I did it several times - one time I did it a week later after decided I didn't like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I decided to try the nail polish remover on some tumbled tiles today, that I had made over the summer. They were the small ones that I make magnets out of, well we had made a TON for a fund raiser and didnt sell as many as we wanted, so I had a bunch left over with puple stamped images on about 150, the nail polish remover cleaned up every single one of them and some of the coasters I was working on for the last two weeks... Granted my hands are now so dry from all the nail polish remover and parts of my fingers a stained purple, but now I can create all new magnets, so try the nail polish remover, it seemed to work and even worked on some of the sharpie marker colors.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas, I honestly thought the 15 coasters I messed up on in the last two weeks and all the mini tiles were junk!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I was so excited reading your post that I dug out some nail polish remover and went to town on a coaster I made a couple of months ago that I don't care for (Balmy Breezes with Black Staz On and Sharpies).

While the ink did fade some and there is evidence of it on the cotton balls I rubbed the coasters with (less and less with each subsequent cotton ball) the tile is still very much inked up.

Mind posting the details of you procedure and materials? Did you soak the tiles in the polish remover or just rub repeatedly?
MTIA,
~Gina

Quote:

Originally Posted by bratkar
I decided to try the nail polish remover on some tumbled tiles today, that I had made over the summer. They were the small ones that I make magnets out of, well we had made a TON for a fund raiser and didnt sell as many as we wanted, so I had a bunch left over with puple stamped images on about 150, the nail polish remover cleaned up every single one of them and some of the coasters I was working on for the last two weeks... Granted my hands are now so dry from all the nail polish remover and parts of my fingers a stained purple, but now I can create all new magnets, so try the nail polish remover, it seemed to work and even worked on some of the sharpie marker colors.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas, I honestly thought the 15 coasters I messed up on in the last two weeks and all the mini tiles were junk!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Just tried using rubbing alcohol and barely any ink came off. It's only 70% though. Where would I buy 90%. When it dries I'll try the Magic Eraser.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Okay, all I did was use a little elbow grease and regular acetone nail polish remover with cotton balls. These tiles were never HEAT SET or any krylon sprayed on them because they were never really finished. So I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
When we tried the 70% alcohol on them and it barely worked.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDrakos
Just tried using rubbing alcohol and barely any ink came off. It's only 70% though. Where would I buy 90%. When it dries I'll try the Magic Eraser.
Everyone sells it out here, but I never saw it when I lived in CA. Didn't know there was anything other than 70% until I accidentally bought the 90%. It does take some soaking and changing of the alcohol after the first initial blast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I have never tried to get the staz-on off the tiles but to get it off the actual stamps I use the Mr. Clean erasers and it works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes