Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using Craft Inks for Stamping On Walls...

Hello Ladies!
I just had a customer buy the Bold Butterfly stamp set for stamping on her daughters walls. Can she use craft ink on her walls? How does that hold up in a kids room? Can you wipe the walls down when they get dirty? How long do you have to wait for it to dry?

Of course, I would love to upsell her, specially since we have lovely coordinating colors!!!
Thanks for your advice in advance.

Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

SU actually recommends Acrylic Paint for wall decorating. In some areas, the humidity is too high and the craft ink won't dry properly. I believe the craft ink should be fine on things like accessories (picture frames, for example) and furniture - so maybe you could up-sell the craft ink for things like that. Have your customer try it on a small corner on her wall to see if it will dry properly and then if it can be washed once it's dry. But, it will likely depend on her location.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I have heard NEVER to use craft on walls as it will bleed through the paint when you try to repaint and you'll NEVER be able to cover it. I used that set in my bathroom with acrylic paint. I used a foam brush and just "Painted the paint" onto the stamp and then stamped it onto the wall. If it smears - I used a wet washcloth real quick and cleaned it up. Just try to keep the stamps moist - so the paint doesn't dry and she'll be fine. My stamps are really stained from this - but they work fine still. She can also "Make a paint stamp pad" by using a few layers of cheescloth, pouring the acrylic pain onto it and working into the cloth - then stamp using it as an inkpad. My cousin did this and it was a lot less messy than my way - but I was too impatient to go out and buy the cheesecloth - I just wanted to do it and finish it. My photos are the my gallery and I also did a shower curtain to match. I did use the craft ink on the curtain and it has held up with no bleeding or fading or running for over a year. I haven't washed it though yet - so I dont' know about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have done a lot of stamping on walls and always used acrylic craft paints such as Delta Ceramcoat. I have lots of examples in my gallery of wall stamping. They're probably on page 4 because they were some of the first pictures I uploaded on SCS.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I did some stamping on the walls in my previous house using acrylic craft/art paint and it was a pain to cover when we went to sell the house! I painted over it (several coats) but could still see the outline where the stamp was because of the thickness of the stamp paint. I basically had to sand off each image, spackle, and then repaint the whole section of the wall. Not fun. Thank goodness it was only a border and not the whole room! If I were to do it again, I would try using acrylic WALL paint - like you get from Home Depot for painting on your wall. You can buy small cans of it to coordinate with your room - or just use some leftover that you have from painting another room. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like that would work better for covering over it later since it is meant for walls. I would think you'd want to match whatever is on your wall already as far as the finish too - so if you have flat paint on the wall, then use flat for the stamp. Glossy paint, use glossy for the stamp, etc. Again, I haven't tried this but it seems to make the most sense to me. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone who has stamped their walls & needs to paint over it later - or just has a problem with 'bleed through' from old paint... just prime/paint the wall with a product called KILZ (one coat) & then paint it the wall color you've chosen. I did this in my 150+ year old house -the 2nd time we painted. About a year after we painted/moved in there were ugly gray spots 'bleeding' through the new paint. That was a kazillion years ago & no bleed through ever. Also used KILZ as the first coat on a wall with old/cheap wood paneling (remember the 70's?) - then painted... perfect coverage!
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoopy
I did some stamping on the walls in my previous house using acrylic craft/art paint and it was a pain to cover when we went to sell the house! I painted over it (several coats) but could still see the outline where the stamp was because of the thickness of the stamp paint. I basically had to sand off each image, spackle, and then repaint the whole section of the wall. Not fun. Thank goodness it was only a border and not the whole room! If I were to do it again, I would try using acrylic WALL paint - like you get from Home Depot for painting on your wall. You can buy small cans of it to coordinate with your room - or just use some leftover that you have from painting another room. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like that would work better for covering over it later since it is meant for walls. I would think you'd want to match whatever is on your wall already as far as the finish too - so if you have flat paint on the wall, then use flat for the stamp. Glossy paint, use glossy for the stamp, etc. Again, I haven't tried this but it seems to make the most sense to me. Good luck!
I wonder if it was the type of paint you were using. Was it the acrylic paint that comes in tubes, like for an artist, or the kind that comes in bottles for Tole painting? I stamped this room for my youngest son before he was born.

Baby's Room

We moved overseas 3 years ago and rented out the house, so my stamping had to go. We simply primed over the stamping with a regular primer and then white paint back over that, and no problems with showing, bleeding, or anything. I went back and saw the house last summer and you'd never know it had been stamped before.

As a matter of fact, the woman in the house had painted over nearly all of my stamping, and got great coverage.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkhedgehog
I wonder if it was the type of paint you were using. Was it the acrylic paint that comes in tubes, like for an artist, or the kind that comes in bottles for Tole painting? I stamped this room for my youngest son before he was born.

Baby's Room

We moved overseas 3 years ago and rented out the house, so my stamping had to go. We simply primed over the stamping with a regular primer and then white paint back over that, and no problems with showing, bleeding, or anything. I went back and saw the house last summer and you'd never know it had been stamped before.

As a matter of fact, the woman in the house had painted over nearly all of my stamping, and got great coverage.
I used the kind of acrylic paint that comes in bottles for crafting. I have some artist paint too and I definitely did not use that. Not sure of the brand - probably was not Delta though. That is good to hear that you had good results with painting over yours! I know about KILZ too and although I didn't use it on that particular project, there was definitely a raised edge to my stamped image so I don't think KILZ would even have worked in that case. We used KILZ to cover some stamping done by the previous owner of our current house and it worked great.

Last edited by scoopy; 02-17-2006 at 09:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #9  
Duchess of Dork

Craft ink didn't dry for me. I found a cool stamp pad someone suggested for acrylic paints: take a piece of felt (you can buy felt squares 6/$1.00 at hobby lobby). Put the paint on that (on top of something disposable, like a foam plate). Let it soak in & VOILA! You have a stamp pad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ladies, thank you so much for the great advice! I love SCS and the all you women here who have great insight to stamping!

I can't wait to share this with my customer. And, I myself will be trying a border in my girls room!

Thanks again,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Default Latex Paint for stamping on Walls!

OK, just confirmed my theory about using latex wall paint for stamping on walls. That is what Martha Stewart recommends... just found an old issue of Living where they said Latex paint works for stamping on walls. Latex paint is actually a type of acrylic paint, so I can see why that would be confusing. Here is the Martha link if anyone needs it:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...SL&site=living
Reply With Quote Likes