Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
Embossing Fanatic

Default Fresh from trying to organize stamps

OK, I give up !! I've tried to organize mounted stamps and unless I buy a new house or take over the living room (might be some problems there from the rest of the family), I'm just piling them around and moving from place to place. Thanks to this thread and all of you organized people I have a good idea about how to unmount them and store them. Here's the question: seems to be various opinions on 3 different tacking products: Tack N Peel, EZ mount and Aleene's Tack it over and over. I would love to hear the plusses and minuses of these products and where to find them. I think I have seen EZ mount in a couple of specialty stamp stores but not the other products. Cost? How to use? I'm slightly confused. Thanks again for being out there!!!! RM
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #42
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
SU sets I keep in CD cases. I keep some groups of rubber only in SU clamshell cases, some are in the blue SU punch tins, some are just in the 12 x 12 paper storage drawers. I sort SU by theme and non-SU generally by company. It's really more organized than it sounds

and they are losely left in the case whichever you chose to put them in?

I'm going your route of the T&P so far.. I have some with Aileens and some with EZ Mount, but with the EZ ugh I'm so messy!! and the hot knife I bought just doesn't work for me .. I'm a Virgo and want it to look just like it came and it hasn't so far.. soooo I am liking this bare rubber thingy cuz its quick!!

I'm alllllllll for fast & easy !
Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #43
Stampin' Fool

I unmounted mine. I used ez-mount and store them in cd cases. On the newer SU sets that come trimmed, I keep them on the foam and repeatedly stick them to my jeans until I remove some of the stickiness, then into the cd cases.

I store all of the cd cases on those fairly cheap white book cases, but what I did is I bought extra book cases just to use the extra shelves (this was cheaper than buying shelving). Now my shelves are narrow, so I can fit many more rows of the cd cases.

I did not unmount my background stamps. I will have to see what I think after I set up a new craft room in a couple of months.

As for my alphabets I unmounted them to the bare rubber and store them in divided plastic boxes, they have 24 2x2 sections (I think). I get the cases in the fishing section at walmart. I use double sided tape on an acrylic block when I stamp with these.

I really LOVE the space I have saved by unmounting. And now that the SU sets come trimmed it is so easy.

Dina
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
and they are losely left in the case whichever you chose to put them in?

I'm going your route of the T&P so far.. I have some with Aileens and some with EZ Mount, but with the EZ ugh I'm so messy!! and the hot knife I bought just doesn't work for me .. I'm a Virgo and want it to look just like it came and it hasn't so far.. soooo I am liking this bare rubber thingy cuz its quick!!

I'm alllllllll for fast & easy !
Yep.... they are just loose. If I use a CD case, I make sure any tinier ones aren't near the open spot. I feel like I have a lot of stamps but I probably don't compared to some folks here ~ so my system has been working fine for me!

Here's how I use the hot knife ~ of course, if it's not your thing, doesn't matter with so many other options!

I have a tempered glass cutting board (with pictures of herbs on it - probably from Target or WalMart). I lay my bare rubber down on the sticky side like a jigsaw puzzle. Then I peel off the back and let the cling do its thing with the glass cutting board - it holds it in place. Then it's just a matter of running the hot knife 'round the pieces and peeling them up. Sometimes the blade does hit the rubber and smoke up a bit. I keep a damp rag on hand to wipe the blade if it gets a little gunked up but it's never been all that bad. Any sticky on it just burns off really.

Of course, if you don't like the hot knife, I agree that bare rubber is the way to go. It's a lot easier to trim bare rubber than worrying about beveling the foam, etc. Once you get used to the idea, it's a great feeling to be able to keep sets or stamps because they don't take up so much space. And when you find that all that really matters is getting a good image, too. I do have some that are woodmounted with beautiful color index labels and I keep them mounted because of that.

I also have started to use a foam pad sometimes ~ I picked it up at Joann's last year. It is a light burgundy color and probably 11 x 14 or so but I trimmed it to a more manageable square and a couple of little squares. I think it does help when you're stamping with bare rubber.

Happy Stamping!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Yep.... they are just loose. If I use a CD case, I make sure any tinier ones aren't near the open spot. I feel like I have a lot of stamps but I probably don't compared to some folks here ~ so my system has been working fine for me!

Here's how I use the hot knife ~ of course, if it's not your thing, doesn't matter with so many other options!

I have a tempered glass cutting board (with pictures of herbs on it - probably from Target or WalMart). I lay my bare rubber down on the sticky side like a jigsaw puzzle. Then I peel off the back and let the cling do its thing with the glass cutting board - it holds it in place. Then it's just a matter of running the hot knife 'round the pieces and peeling them up. Sometimes the blade does hit the rubber and smoke up a bit. I keep a damp rag on hand to wipe the blade if it gets a little gunked up but it's never been all that bad. Any sticky on it just burns off really.

Of course, if you don't like the hot knife, I agree that bare rubber is the way to go. It's a lot easier to trim bare rubber than worrying about beveling the foam, etc. Once you get used to the idea, it's a great feeling to be able to keep sets or stamps because they don't take up so much space. And when you find that all that really matters is getting a good image, too. I do have some that are woodmounted with beautiful color index labels and I keep them mounted because of that.

I also have started to use a foam pad sometimes ~ I picked it up at Joann's last year. It is a light burgundy color and probably 11 x 14 or so but I trimmed it to a more manageable square and a couple of little squares. I think it does help when you're stamping with bare rubber.

Happy Stamping!
very clever idea
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #46
Hardware Hotshot

Geesh, I keep reading about unmounting but I'm still afraid of doing it. All of these pics look so organized, not that mine aren't but you know, less space.

I've a couple questions though.

Did you have trouble adjusting to using an acrylic block instead of your wood block that fit to the size of the stamp?

I don't have a stamp-a-ma-jig yet but have recently seen how it's used and think it'd be a good idea, how do you use that, if you do with an acrylic block?

Maybe I'm missing something too........do you just have like so many different size acrylic blocks that you use? And exactly how do the stamps cling/stick to the acrylic, just by the one time you put sticky stuff on it? Doesn't that ever loose it's stickiness?

Okay, that was more than a few.......I'm just curious. It's gonna take me some time to move to this method but I'm interested in it.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #47
Kookie Creator

Missinkyfingers,

Since I have as many clear stamp sets as I do SU and other rubber stamps sets, there was no transition for me. I have to admit, that it took my months to use my first clear set b/c I was nervous/unsure what I was doing.

I bought a three acrylic blocks from AC Moore / Michaels with a coupon. One was a single block, the other two came in a set. I bought a longer, skinnier one from an Ebay seller who buys acrylic sheets and cuts them -- this is for my wheels (which I also unmount). I do not unmount my backgrounds.

I try to unmount my SU by pulling the foam and rubber away from the wood. Most often, the foam is sticky enough to cling to the acrylic block. If not, I rub some Aileen's Tack it Over and Over and let it dry over night. This makes the back of the foam tacky. With a few of my sets, the rubber pulled so easily away from the foam that I just rubbed the Aileen's on the back of the rubber and use without foam.

This has worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #48
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
Okay, so here is what I do.

For the actual stamp part, I pull the rubber off the foam (no microwaving), trim it up and put it on the EZ Mount. I then use a hot knife to trim the EZ Mount.
I TIRED a hot knife.. I guess I'm not good at using it OR perhaps it was the one I purchased from Michaels.. but I am TOO messy with it. So now I go bare nekkid.. I'm still wondering what to do tho about the stickers on the blocks..

Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #49
Kookie Creator

I pull the stickers off the blocks and adhere the the front of my CD cases. Most often, the stickers are sticky enough to stay on the CD case. A few times, I've used packing tape to secure them.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #50
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use an unusual method to unmount mine. I only unmount the ones that are retired and I never plan to sell. I heard about this idea here on another thread but it works so well for me!

I actually stick the sticker onto the foam side of the stamp so it's lined up perfectly with the image. Then I cover the sticker in a very light coating of Aileen's TIOAO glue. Then when my stamps cure and I stick them onto my hand (as recommended) I cut off the lid from my clamshell box to store them on. If I have no clamshell box lid, I use a cd case.
This is soooo wonderful bc I can easily flip through them like a filing system, and they take up so little room!
Then when I go to use them I use an acrylic block and I can see exactly where I'm stamping since I have the image from the sticker showing through.

Check out the attached pics:
Attached Thumbnails
unmounted-lid.jpg   unmouned-larger-container.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #51
Hardware Hotshot

I did this, and absolutely LOVE my new system!!
I took mine apart and put them on ezmount, and I store them in cd cases that I bought at Staples. The really large stamp sets don't always fit, and I found a great link, here:
http://www.shop.stampbystep.com/prod...&productId=759

I didn't take the background stamps apart, though.
You will LOVE your new system after you get this done!! I can literally take every stamp set I own with me to crops if I haven't had time to plan better!!
You DON'T need to do the microwave thing. Get a butter knife to start the separation of rubber and foam, and then it pulls right off.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #52
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestof3View Post
Missinkyfingers,

Since I have as many clear stamp sets as I do SU and other rubber stamps sets, there was no transition for me. I have to admit, that it took my months to use my first clear set b/c I was nervous/unsure what I was doing.

I bought a three acrylic blocks from AC Moore / Michaels with a coupon. One was a single block, the other two came in a set. I bought a longer, skinnier one from an Ebay seller who buys acrylic sheets and cuts them -- this is for my wheels (which I also unmount). I do not unmount my backgrounds.

I try to unmount my SU by pulling the foam and rubber away from the wood. Most often, the foam is sticky enough to cling to the acrylic block. If not, I rub some Aileen's Tack it Over and Over and let it dry over night. This makes the back of the foam tacky. With a few of my sets, the rubber pulled so easily away from the foam that I just rubbed the Aileen's on the back of the rubber and use without foam.

This has worked perfectly for me.
Thank you for the advice. I think it will still take me awhile but I'm definatly thinking of doing it. Probably once I get out of school and have time. I don't want to start this project only to have to let it linger forever.

How long does this usually take someone with say a little over a 100 sets?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #53
Kookie Creator

Quote:

How long does this usually take someone with say a little over a 100 sets?
I have more than 100 sets and I did it in a few nights. I am so glad I did.

The most time-consuming thing is trimming and removing most of the sticky on new sets (I put on and pull off of fabric several times to leave it tacky).
Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #54
Crimping Master

I am going unmounted but in a different way. All my new set are being unmounted. My existing sets are being unmounted as I need them. I have some sets where parts are unmounted and parts aren't. I think eventually everything will be, and who knows I may decide to do them all in one fell swoop, but as of right now, it is on an as needed basis.

Pamela
Old 01-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
I am going unmounted but in a different way. All my new set are being unmounted. My existing sets are being unmounted as I need them. I have some sets where parts are unmounted and parts aren't. I think eventually everything will be, and who knows I may decide to do them all in one fell swoop, but as of right now, it is on an as needed basis.

Pamela
this takes the pressure off doing a very huge task for many of us. great idea