Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Unmount Questions

Girls who have unmounted unite! I need some help!

So, tonight I unmounted my wheels. What was I waiting for? That is delightful. But, how to store? That is my first question.

Second, I am going to UM my stamp sets, and I am in the process of deciding if I like the "tack and tack", ezmount or double stick tape. I think I am going to store in CD cases. How can I label them? And, what are you doing with the old boxes and wood blocks?

Hmm, that's it for tonight. Any help would be MOST appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I vote for EZ mount...Are you using dvd cases??? or CD cases?

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #3  
Sassy Shani

I use double sided tape. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a fully un-mounted person that uses Aileen's TIOAO on my stamps, no cushion of any kind either!

All my wheels are un-mounted and I took a couple of the SU clam shell boxes and cut out the bottom and lids to fit inside the one that is long enough for the flat wheels. I line them up on the acrylic and have 4 layers per box with 4 on each sheet. Works great and was free!

I store all my stamps on cut up boxes in 4 x 9 catalog envelopes sealed and cut in half! Works great, takes up little room in a photo box and easy to do!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Advantages of unmounted stamps

After spending time so carefully mounting my new SU! set to the blocks and putting the lables on, you all are taking all this off and I wanna know why - it can't be simply a storage issue, can it? What are the advantages of stamping with unmounted stamps?

Also, I saw a clear acrylic stamp looking thing in Ben Franklin and it had two pieces - like a front and a back. What is that all about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmdwsView Post
After spending time so carefully mounting my new SU! set to the blocks and putting the lables on, you all are taking all this off and I wanna know why - it can't be simply a storage issue, can it? What are the advantages of stamping with unmounted stamps?

Also, I saw a clear acrylic stamp looking thing in Ben Franklin and it had two pieces - like a front and a back. What is that all about?
Actually for me, it is storage! I have (I can't believe I'm telling you) well over 300 SU stamp sets and I have them in 3 binders...they take up about 6 inches on my desk -- so they are ALL at my fingertips, always. And in all honesty, I don't even notice the "hassle" of taking them off the storage sheet and putting them on a block before I can stamp.

We won't talk about what is in the other 3 binders I have :mrgreen:

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I love unmounted stamps because I can see through the block and get placement of the stamp exactly where I want it...and yep storage is much easier.
Great tip on the box thing Karen! Thanks for sharing!!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurbis01View Post
Girls who have unmounted unite! I need some help!

So, tonight I unmounted my wheels. What was I waiting for? That is delightful. But, how to store? That is my first question.

Second, I am going to UM my stamp sets, and I am in the process of deciding if I like the "tack and tack", ezmount or double stick tape. I think I am going to store in CD cases. How can I label them? And, what are you doing with the old boxes and wood blocks?

Hmm, that's it for tonight. Any help would be MOST appreciated!
Wheels - I store mine like Karen - in an SU box. I have 4 acrylic blocks (two for each size of wheel) and they are dedicated for wheels. The blocks have repositionable double-sided tape on them. Basically I was just to lazy to put the glue on them

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I put mine in a 8 1/2 x 11 binder with thin pages from stampandgo i think the name is. I have each book into different catagory - one for christmas / holidays etc... works great for me..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Here are the pages i used with just a regular binder from Target - I didn't buy the indexed but got the thinner ones http://www.stampandgo.com/cartMOUNTINGSUPPLIES
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Well right now I only have about 11 SU! sets and a about 2-3 dozen other individual stamps in other brands that were gifts or bought one at a time for a specific project over the last 10 years. In another post/thread/topic I saw where someone was indexing her stamp sets on the computer so I decided to scan each set into a folder called SU! and then while the blocks were on the scanner, made a photo copy of the set so I could see which stamps and words/phrases were in which sets. If I had 300 sets I could see I would need a different system. But you mount them again for each use? I would go mad. And how can you see placement unless they are clear? I am still confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I did it for Storage i have like 200+ maybe more stamp sets and was running out of places to put them. I went from 5 shelves double layered to 1 shelf - I bought CD cases from Ebay with no trays - I did the wheels so i would use them more - made sense to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Well right now I only have about 11 SU! sets and a about 2-3 dozen other individual stamps in other brands that were gifts or bought one at a time for a specific project over the last 10 years. In another post/thread/topic I saw where someone was indexing her stamp sets on the computer so I decided to scan each set into a folder called SU! and then while the blocks were on the scanner, made a photo copy of the set so I could see which stamps and words/phrases were in which sets. If I had 300 sets I could see I would need a different system. But you mount them again for each use? I would go mad. And how can you see placement unless they are clear? I am still confused.
Placement is better because its not hiding behind wood - you put them on acrylic blocks and they are trimmed close - you can also put the alphabet stamps together on a block for your word and not have to worry about placement or messing up ... I never thought i would go UM but am so glad i did i love it..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #14  

You can't see as well as with clear, but you certainly can see a lot better than with wood. For me, since I go straight down to rubber, it is *very* easy to cut the stamp close without "undercutting" it. So when I look through my acrylic block the part I can't see through is where my image is...so my placement is pretty dern accurate.

And that indexing thread is mine -- believe me, you'd be surprised at how quickly you can get a bunch of stamps and forget what you had. Index now before it gets overwhelming

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't know that you could remove the wooden stamp rubber and use them on acrylic blocks. Is there an easy way to remove the rubber? How do you take the rubber off the wheel? I just got my first wheel. Thanks Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Wendalyn, knowing me if I cleared out all that shelf space I would want to go out and buy more supplies to fill it up again!! I really appreciate the idea of indexing the stamps - and as I am searching all the drawers and tables for all the stamp sets, I am finding more stuff I forgot I had. I did all 11 sets of SU! between last night and today, and I have big folding tote (from my pampered chef days...) that I am putting all the sets (in their clear plastic cases) into. Thanks to Wendalyn and Karen for great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyclaireView Post
I didn't know that you could remove the wooden stamp rubber and use them on acrylic blocks. Is there an easy way to remove the rubber? How do you take the rubber off the wheel? I just got my first wheel. Thanks Carol
Removing the wheel is very easy...check out this blog entry on Laura's blog.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh yeah, you put the wheel rubber on a block? I love the wheel - it just glides across the page - esp. for scrappin'. I use a wheel with the topic of the page (party time for birthday page, baby time for baby page, etc.) across the bottom or side, color coordinated, for a little something different here and there. If you put it on a clear acrylic mount - temporarily - then you have to lay it in place, pick it up and lay it down again to cover the 12 inch edge of a 12 by 12 album, is that right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyclaireView Post
Oops, submitted to soon. As for removing the rubber from foam - simply peel it off. I have found some stamps that are VERY hard to peel off, but Hero Arts and SU are easy. Sometimes I have issues with there being a tiny layer of foam left. For my purposes, it doesn't matter as I use Aleene's TIOAO glue and that bit of foam doesn't effect anything.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted all mine for a couple of reasons:
1. Storage space
2. The weight--being in the military we have a weight limit when we move, so getting rid of all those wood blocks has saved us a bit.
3. Being able to see where I'm stamping.

I printed labels on my computer for the sides of the CD cases and then cut them out in strips to fit down the side.

I have no regrets going unmounted. I haven't done any of my wheels yet (except the alphabet wheel that SU had a few months back--got a whole alphabet for $5!). I had a thread months ago when I went unmounted and posted a picture of some sets of cases and next to it are all those stamps unmounted. So I took the plunge and went unmounted

I have used both EZ Mount and the cling. I like the EZ Mount much better especially for stamps that were previously mounted to wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #21  

Quote:

Oh yeah, you put the wheel rubber on a block? I love the wheel - it just glides across the page - esp. for scrappin'. I use a wheel with the topic of the page (party time for birthday page, baby time for baby page, etc.) across the bottom or side, color coordinated, for a little something different here and there. If you put it on a clear acrylic mount - temporarily - then you have to lay it in place, pick it up and lay it down again to cover the 12 inch edge of a 12 by 12 album, is that right?
Yes, that is right...those of us that have unmounted did it because we never used the wheel as a wheel. Now that I've unmounted I use them all the time. If you use your wheels, unmounting may not make sense for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I've tried different ways of mounting my UM stamps. My favorite way was suggested here on SCS. Stick the image sticker that comes with SU stamps on a white paper square and then carefully position this on the stamp. Then, trim the stamp and image. The stickers are made of a plastic that will stick to vinyl cling. So, you just place vinyl cling on your block and use. I love it! To store them, I cut vinyl cling strips to fit in my CD cases to adhere the stamps. This has worked better for me than other things I've tried. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrapView Post
I've tried different ways of mounting my UM stamps. My favorite way was suggested here on SCS. Stick the image sticker that comes with SU stamps on a white paper square and then carefully position this on the stamp. Then, trim the stamp and image. The stickers are made of a plastic that will stick to vinyl cling. So, you just place vinyl cling on your block and use. I love it! To store them, I cut vinyl cling strips to fit in my CD cases to adhere the stamps. This has worked better for me than other things I've tried. Good luck!
Where can you get some vinyl cling and how much is it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I've heard about tac-n-peel. Is this just like window vinyl or it is more like E-Z mount that has the foam. I only ask b/c I am wanting to place an order today to get something for my SU stamps that I haven't mounted yet. I don't really want to take the foam that's already on it, but if that's the only way then I may need to rethink things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #25  

Tack-n-peel is like strong double-sided tape that you put on your acrylic block. And it stands up to cleaning so it is a multi-use application.

I'll be getting my first order of it soon.

If I decide I like that, I'm not sure what I'll use to store my stamps. Right now, since they have glue on the backs, I just adhere them to the storage page and close the binder. If they don't have glue, I may have to use tack-n-peel strips on my storage page...or just plain double sided tape which I do occasionally (like when I'm too lazy to put the glue on it, lol).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #26  

If you want to use the foam that is already on the stamp, you can buy just plain vinyl cling to put on the sticky part of the foam. I don't know if it is the cheapest, but I usually get my supplies from http://sundayint.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kthamanView Post
If you want to use the foam that is already on the stamp, you can buy just plain vinyl cling to put on the sticky part of the foam. I don't know if it is the cheapest, but I usually get my supplies from http://sundayint.com/
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use double sided tape beause I'm cheap. It works fine for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I use double sided tape beause I'm cheap. It works fine for me.
Do you go through it quickly...I am so ready to just do this, lol. I too am cheap (but I'm also lazy ) So I'm a little concerned on how many rolls I'd have to buy.

Also, how do you store your stamps??

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Storage is EXACTLY what drove me to go to acrylics. Before, my stamps would not have fit in the back of a truck, Truly! Once I unmounted they fit in 6 albums.

But that is only part of the story. There are so many more companies available to you when you buy unmounted and they are 1/2 the price of wood mounted.

I will NEVER go back!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes