Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The ultimate paper storage poll/advice thread - I hope!!

What’s the best way to store paper & keep it handy?

It’s easy to keep track of that first pack of assorted Earth Elements, but you get addicted to (oops, I mean “involved in�?) stamping, it’s surprising how much money you end up spending on paper! And downright annoying when you can’t lay your hands on it in a hurry. And even worse when you forget you have a color or can’t find it!! And don't you hate it when you've ruined a piece of cardstock????

In a recent thread somebody mentioned the Cropper Hopper Vertical Storage sets but whoa!!! Over $100 to store all the color families & another $25 or so if you have any additional CS!!

Here are the types of storage I’ve seen mentioned here or shown in the gallery:

Horizontal storage: Racks, shelves, plastic cases

Vertical storage: Accordion files, hanging files (in file cabinet, plastic tote, rolling cart, portable file box), Cropper Hopper Vertical Storage sets

Notebook with pocket pages

So …. how do you store your paper?
What do you like about that storage method?
What do you not like about it?
What brand of product?
How much does it cost?
Where can you buy it?

Help!!!!

Thanks!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all of my scrapbooking paper in a Cropper Hopper cart. I got it at Mike's with a coupon years ago. I think I paid less than $50. Then I made my own file folders for it by altering legal size ones. Michael's still sells them. They are black now (mind is green.) The only thing I would say is that the cart is a little flimsy for the loaded paper holder, so don't try to roll it full.

It has worked out really well for me. That new system is cool, but it would take up shelf space that I don't have.

Now that I am getting more involved with SU! I am going to need to tweak my system a little, but I think this will continue to work for now. HTH!

Vanessa

(edited: I should add that most of my paper is 12x12 as I have been primarily a scrapper for years. If I get a lot of 8.5x11, I might get one of those sorters that offices use.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Default The ultimate paper storage

I have the wire cubes that I bought at Target a few years ago...I can hold all my 48 colors of cardstock in both sizes really nicely. I like that I can find any color anytime I need it and that it is so close to my stamping table, but I don't like the amount of space it takes up. I have a 4 foot section built up so I didn't have to double up on colors in one space. I also have extra shelving at the bottom of each cube for catalogs, tags & boxes, scrapping kits, and one for misc papers, such as scraps. I even have an extra cube on the top left edge to hold my white and vanilla and speciality papers.
I got the cubes in a 6 pack and they were on sale for only 6.00 a box, three boxes later and a few zip ties from DH workshop and all was done in a few hours.
If I find another system that is just as useful, but takes up smaller space and didn't cost too much, I'd change it out as fast as I put it up. But for now it works really good so I won't mess with it.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I just got a plastic (like rubbermaid) file box. The files hang in it. It is sitting on the floor right next to my desk area. I have all 48 colors plus some more in it. I don't have full orders of all of the colors, but so far I have lots of space. It works well for me now. My next craft room (in 6 months hopefully!) will have built in file storage in the desk. This is all just for 8.5x11 paper. I do all of my scrapbooking out of a case I got from CM, so my 12x12 paper is there. Except for patterned paper which I just store in one of the plastic things with the snaps on the front. Can't remember the name of it right now.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 04:02 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I bought a paper rack that looks like what you find in scrapbook stores. Here's the link - http://store.jdpacificrim.com/Search...ry=Paper+Racks
A local scrapbook store sells the same thing for $120. Mine cost around $80 with S&H.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 05:32 AM   #6  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

This may seem like a silly question, but for those of you that store your paper in files - do you have a hanging file for EACH color? Those files take up a LOT of space (10 files take up 1" of space).

I'm an organization nut, but I can't organize 'til I KNOW what I'm going to do, so my paper is stacked up on the floor leaning against my cart that holds my stamps. Help :shock:
Old 09-23-2004, 06:27 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy nagel
I bought a paper rack that looks like what you find in scrapbook stores. Here's the link - http://store.jdpacificrim.com/Search...ry=Paper+Racks
A local scrapbook store sells the same thing for $120. Mine cost around $80 with S&H.
Ask your local scrapbook stores if they are getting rid of the 8 1/2" x 11" storage systems like the one above, or if you know the owner, ask them if they would order one for cost. I picked up the rack above at one of the local scrapbook stores (for 8 1/2 x 11") for $35. She was transitioning to all 12 x 12 shelving. She said she could order me another, but I was fine with just one for now.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 07:17 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I store my 8 1/2 x 11 CS in a paper storage unit that I got at Costco over 2 years ago. I just love it. I have it sitting on my 6 foot table. It works wonderful. I have 3 colors in each slot with all the scraps on the top of each color. I always know where they are. I am starting to purchase the 12 x 12 paper and I don't have anything to store them in. Today on QVC they have an organizer kit for the Today's special Value from Lisa Bearnson. It looks so awesome. I ordered it last night along with an extra vertical storage thing to put my 12 x 12 paper in. I can't wait to get it and try it out. I think that it will take up alot less space. I hope this helps.
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2004, 08:28 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Ok, for my 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock I have a rubbermaid filing bin. I have about 4 hanging files for each color family. Then I store each color in a seperate manilla folder in the proper hanging folder. This works really well. When I'm well stocked on paper it's pretty full. But, most of the time there is a fair amount of extra space which is nice because I can shove the files back so I can really look in the one I want.

Originally I stored my scraps in there as well. But they take up TONS of room and I was running out of space. So, now I have the 8 1/2 x 11 cello bags with about 3 colors in each. They more or less match the same colors as the hanging files in my bin. I'm wanted to add another shelf by my desk and have a large area on the bottom shelf to put each of these bags so they are more easily accessable. Right now they are kind of under my desk and they fall down and look really messy.

I also have a half size file tote that I put specialty paper in and the old simply scrappin's, tag sheets, and alpha accents. Basically all the other 8 1/2 x 11 stuff. I used to store it in the bin with the other paper but it was too full.

I like to use the bins because they are easily transportable if I'm going somewhere to do some major stampin' and scrappin'.

Currently my 12 x 12 paper is in a 12 x 12 expandable paper tote thing. But I hate it because it is too hard to slide the paper into without bending it, too hard to see what designer series papers I have, and the top doesn't stay open so it takes to hands to get stuff out. I'm still looking for a good solution for the 12 x 12.

I've thought about the stacked storage cubes but I'm very worried that my paper will fade. And my stuff is in the basement and especially in the summer it is super humid. When I put the top on my paper bin it helps keep the moisture out. I can really feel the difference - especially in the Ultrasmooths.

Sorry this was so long!
Reply With Quote Likes