Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have a stash of cards to pull from (yet) but when I make a card and it doesn't turn out like I thought it does go to the in-laws. Not because I don't like them but because they are the sweetest people and would never say an ugly word.

My mom on the other hand deserves "ugly" cards because she always points out any mistakes. If something is not centered quite right or the cut for some reason is a little off, off goes her mouth. I will tell you, I don't try as hard on cards for her as I do for others. I really think she would prefer Hallmark because she always says where does it say "mom". WHATEVER.

I think an ugly card category would be hilarious. A fun gallery to look at but to not go to for inspiration!

sewflake, bless your heart!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #42
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchampinView Post
I don't have a stash of cards to pull from (yet) but when I make a card and it doesn't turn out like I thought it does go to the in-laws. Not because I don't like them but because they are the sweetest people and would never say an ugly word.

My mom on the other hand deserves "ugly" cards because she always points out any mistakes. If something is not centered quite right or the cut for some reason is a little off, off goes her mouth. I will tell you, I don't try as hard on cards for her as I do for others. I really think she would prefer Hallmark because she always says where does it say "mom". WHATEVER.

I think an ugly card category would be hilarious. A fun gallery to look at but to not go to for inspiration!

sewflake, bless your heart!

I think a gallery would be cool too, and why not for inspiration, but only opposite inspiration! What NOT to do! LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #43
Die Cut Diva

I have done several things with them. If they're honestly just ugly, no one would think they are good, then the only thing I can do is use the other side of the paper, cut them up and recycle them.

If they're just old or not my style, I love to send them to those SCS'ers who collect cards for soldiers. If they have been written inside, I cut the back off and mount the front on a new card base.

Just a week or so ago, I was cleaning out my Iris carts and reorganizing and came across a huge stash of cards from my earlier stamping days. I threw them all in a box and sold them on ebay as a lot.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #44
Mad Swapper

This thread is funny! Especially since yesterday I was stamping when my dad came over for a visit. As he glanced at my rack of cards, he asked if I had an extra card for my grandmothers 99th birthday. I had just bought her birthday present for him to give her. When I asked what I should get her he said he didn't care much since she can't see or hear. SO, when I went for a card, I picked one of the ugliest ones I had made recently. It was so ugly to me that I turned the stamp rack so that it was at the back and I didn't have to look at it!!! But if she can't see it, she won't mind!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

This thread is hilarious. I enjoyed reading through the responses. For me, it depends on how bad the card is. Some I will give to my mom or grandmother b/c they think anything I make is wonderful. Especially my grandmother. She keeps an album in which she puts all the cards that I send her. I'm almost afraid to see what is in there, but it's sweet.
The ones that are just horrible go to my daughters. I have 2 that are both 4 yrs old. They love to "craft" with me. They will draw on the cards, cut them out, glue them to other papers. Then they can leave my "nice" cards alone. So nothing is really wasted.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #46
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I too have some ugly cards, especially early on in my stamping! Sometimes I have an idea in mind that just doesnt turn out, or I dont have an idea and what I am trying to put together is just ugliness. Recently I had a big stack of cards I thought were ugly, and I took them to a give and take table we have during church activities. People can bring things they want to get rid of, and take whatever they want. So, someone took the WHOLE stack. I saw it at somebody's place setting during an activity, but I dont know who ended up taking them home. Perhaps they thought they were nice, even if I didnt. I figure, free is a good price, even if it is ugly! I have thrown one or two away as well, though I hate doing that.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #47
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Speaking of ugly cards, wanna see one I did today? YECK.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=125972
Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #48
Die Cut Diva

This is an interesting thread. I'm wondering what you consider an ugly card to be and why?

Is it because you are trying a new technique, or maybe you copied someone else's card and yours didn't turn out quite the same?

For me, it happens when I try to make something because it's the current fad or a popular style or color combination that I am not particularly drawn to, but I make it anyway cause that's what I think I "should" do.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Oaky, I confess...my sister has even less talent than I do so I send her my uglies and she thinks they are wonderful! I guess it's the love in the intention that counts!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #50
Kookie Creator

Hilarious stories... am subscribing. Doesn't it drive you nuts when you made a card you think is nice, and you show it to someone and they go, "That's,um, very...unique..." Yes, I have made some that turned out ugly...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #51
Watercolor Wizard

I throw them away - or use the backs of them to make other cards or punches or layers. I can't stand to give away the ugly cards.
I will post a card and not get any comments and that will be the card that sells the fastest... so weird. I usually love my cards the day I make them and as soon as I take a picture of them I see all the design flaws so they move to the ugly category. In fact if I look at my gallery I would move most of my cards to the new ugly gallery.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youíve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #52
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColettaView Post
I think we should do an "ugly" swap. I have a few cards that would certainly fit the bill!

Seriously, it might be fun. Anyone game?

Coletta
I think it's a great idea, but I would go broke on postage lol.

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #53
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I think we had an "ugliest card" thread at one time (sorta become a fun contest, actually, altho that wasn't the original intention), and, man, it was HYSTERICAL!

Good times, good times! Mebbe it'll resurface again . . . I can't remember who won, but, man, we all had such a good time, and laughed so hard!

Great stuff . . .
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #54
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ha! Let me tell you about my Ugly Card bravery! This coming Friday I am to be the Featured Crafter at www.craftsonawhim.com and I very bravely sent Andrea a picture of my very first card to post with the article! It completely goes along with the "all about me" story I was writing to her, so I decided to just do it. It's not really all that ugly... just very plain and very, very simple compared to what I do now!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

I scavenge my ugly cards for embellishments and ribbon. Then I chuck them.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

I salvage what I can from ugly cards and toss the rest (well recycle where I can). Sometimes they're just not my taste... and generally I let my mom pick through those and take them
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

LOL!! If she only knew how much those cards cost us to make!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret WilburnView Post
I have an elderly aunt who asked me if we were doing OK since I couldn't afford to buy cards. I send her the worst ones. Actually I have a friend who will take anything free and I give most of them to her...but I do save some for my aunt.
Margaret

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #58
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knutsen24View Post
I am curious as to what you guys do with cards that you think turn out "ugly" but can't bare to just throw them away. Do you give them to your in-laws? I would love to hear what you guys do with all those less than perfect cards.

PS-

Anyone who wants an ugly card, PM me your address
Hee Hee in-laws? I alway smile when I hear people joke about in-laws. Because my in-laws were the best thing that ever happened to me. Back in the day my father in law drew all his own cards for birthdays etc..long before I ever became a stamper. DH always jokes I am following in FIL footsteps. My FIL past 7 years ago and those cards are so precious to me now. So give wisely as they may be someones treasure for years to come.

On a lighter note, if I don't like the card I recyle what I can use later.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

LOL! Funny. My sister doesn't stamp and I admit that I don't give her the best ones cause she just doesn't love them like I do. Like yesterday....I made 3 baby cards which I loooovvveeee and I am trying to pick out the one I will miss the least to give her or the easiest to duplicate. Sad, I know, but she doesn't know the difference. I have a hard time giving out my best ones and no problem giving out the uglies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misssezView Post
Oaky, I confess...my sister has even less talent than I do so I send her my uglies and she thinks they are wonderful! I guess it's the love in the intention that counts!

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #60
Glitter Queen

I had to chuckle because I purposely hid a set of uglies that I had done for a friend, just cause they were too bold...and I experiment regularly but these just didn't cut it for what I do now versus what I did a while ago and I felt this set just didn't cruise forward in my world.

I sent off a card that I wasn't too thrilled with but I liked enough because of the vellum I used with it. That card, touched the receipient to no end, because of the sentiments I used...so I shut up and took it for what its worth, its not just what I see but what the person receiving it feels when they look at it and read it.

I can't absolutely can't give or sell a set of cards I dislike...the blessed things must move me otherwise its a lost cause and i worry and think that they are the worst things I have created...I gut the card, use what I can and trash the parts I can't recycle.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #61
Full of Malarky

This is the funniest thread - I am just loving reading it!!! I have a really ugly card in my gallery - but I would never send it to anyone!!! When I make an ugly card - I just toss it in the garbage. I just can't send or give away something that is ugly to me. I do think we should have an ugly card gallery!! What a great idea!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 AM   #62
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knutsen24View Post
Do you give them to your in-laws?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

I am thinking RAK? I have a pile of "experiments" that I am saving for RAKs. They are good examples of techniques that someone might appreciate... but overall not something I would present to someone as a gift.

--Amy
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #63
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up cards

Quote:

I throw them away - or use the backs of them to make other cards or punches or layers. I can't stand to give away the ugly cards.
I will post a card and not get any comments and that will be the card that sells the fastest... so weird. I usually love my cards the day I make them and as soon as I take a picture of them I see all the design flaws so they move to the ugly category. In fact if I look at my gallery I would move most of my cards to the new ugly gallery.
I just looked at your gallery and your cards and projects are AMAZING! DEFINITLY NOT ugly!!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #64
Proud Fan Club Member

I think we just critical of our own work and others don't see the flaws like we do.
Crocheter, beginner quilter, avid reader
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #65
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
I think we just critical of our own work and others don't see the flaws like we do.
that is probably true.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youíve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #66
Proud Fan Club Member

I call mine, "the best of the rejects', and sent to my sister and aunt. They love them!
Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #67
Crimping Master

Since the demand for my ugly cards wasn't very great ( go figger!), I decided to give them to my granddaughter who had an absolute blast coloring them with crayons and giving away her "letters". She kept saying "Grandma, this is fun!".

She really made my day and we had such a sweet time together.

Just remember, ugly, as well as beauty, is truly in the eye of the beholder!

Coletta
Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #68
Hardware Hotshot

I don't send really ugly cards but do send some of my less liked cards to in-laws or family members who never comment on receiving them. If they don't at least say "thanks for the card or the thought" when I see them even months later they don't appreciate the work that goes in to them. After all most of these people never send me a card for any occassion... I think the MIL thing is hilarous but my MIL has gotten much better about commenting on them so I like to send her good ones!

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

Ugly is definetly in the eye of the maker. I did a craft fair this weekend and my husband helped me pack up all of the stuff to take and yesterday morning this old lady is talking to my mom and I about how much she loves this card, which she has in her hand not facing us, and my mom said well lets see it and I just about died. It was one that was in a stack to pitch in the trash that my DH put in the box. She loved it. Sold a few that made me cringe. Mom always says none are ugly, but she is my mom and had better say that!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 AM   #70
Pearl-ExPert

I recently hosted a Ladies Night Out Stamp Night and brought some "ugly" cards to sell for .25 each. Believe it or not I sold 90% of them--I couldn't believe it!! AND THEY WERE U-G-L-Y!! They were cards that you say to yourself, ***I MADE THIS??*** Glad they are outta here..LOL.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #71
Crimping Master

I save them most of the time. Sometimes I may look at it later and add something to make it better.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

This thread has made my morning...LOL...I posted for the very time on Friday my cards which I think are "ugly"...lol...and others have made nice comments about them...I know they could look better but didn't know what else to do with them...I appreciate the nice remarks on the cards because what I thought were ugly some else thought were cute...so I guess it true...I am critical of myself...some said I need more confidence...which is probably true but hey...at least what I consideed "my uglies" were posted...lol...