Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Question Types of stamps

Help!! This has probably been answered all ready or maybe I'm just clueless...but here's my question. Can anyone tell me the difference(s) between cling stamps, clear stamps and unmounted stamps? I have wood mounted stamps and clear stamps, but I see cling stamps and unmounted stamps on various sites and when I see a stamp or set I like, I ignore it because I don't know what the differences are or how to use them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll give it a try, Gail.

A cling mounted stamp is usually a rubber stamp that comes already attached to a foam sheet similar to EZ Mount. One side will "cling" and the stamp can then be used like an acrylic stamp and it will stick to an acrylic block. The cling mounted stamps that I have purchased arrive aready die cut, but might need a little trimming.

Unmounted stamps are rubber stamps with no backing at all, just a sheet of bare rubber. They need to be cut out. You also use them with an acrylic block. You will need to attach something to the bare rubber so it will adhere to the block. Some people mount their bare rubber on sheets of EZ Mount foam (then they are like cling mount stamps).

Others paint the back of the rubber stamp with Aileen's Tack it Over and Over, which dries but stays sticky so you can adhere the stamp to a block when you stamp.

You can also use a couple of strips of double stick tape directly on your block, and then just stick the bare rubber stamp on the block to use it.

A lot of times the bare rubber stamps are quite inexpensive compared to mounted stamps, and of course the shipping cost for a sheet of bare rubber would be less.

I think they stamp just as well, but they do need a little preparation to use.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

I think Bugga has explained it perfectly!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Talking Thank you!!

Thank you soooo much Buggainok! Your explanation really helps me quite a bit! Now, if I see a stamp I like but it only comes cling mounted, I'll know what to do with it!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #5
Compulsive Stamper

I am so glad you asked this, I was wondering myself. So you have an option to put stuff on the stamp and stick the stamp to a block and then take it off and put away? Or once you stick it to the block it is stuck there?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy_Sue View Post
I am so glad you asked this, I was wondering myself. So you have an option to put stuff on the stamp and stick the stamp to a block and then take it off and put away? Or once you stick it to the block it is stuck there?
That depends on what product you use. You have the option to permanently mount the stamp to a wood block or use a repositional adhesive so that you can temporarily mount it on an acrylic block. The choice is yours. I myself prefer to use a repositional adhesive and work with an acrylic block. The advantage to this are that you don't have to store (or buy) all those wood blocks.