Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Default tutorials for sale?

I love to blog hop. I have noticed a trend with bloggers of selling tutorials and kits. (Which I do not have a problem with.) But what I have seen is the same projects/kits being sold by defferent bloggers. This I don't understand. Now these projects/kits are not indentical, but they are the same idea and appear to be made the same way. I would think that if someone found a tutorial, project, or kit they like and wanted to share, they would just pass along the link to the original idea. I don't think it is right to take someone elses idea, write up your own tutorial and sale it. JMO!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Vicki, there are a couple of SU demonstrators that are selling class planners for their fellow demonstrators to use in just such a way. They give permission for the purchaser to use the photos and text to advertise their class on line. I hope that clears things up for you.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have noticed that trend. The ones I notice are out there for free, then you have demonstrators selling them on their blog, which wasn't their original. They are not the class planners. What happen to sharing?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

On the flip side, lol, another trend I see is that people seem to want to attach a particular project to one person, when in fact that idea has been around for ages. How many different ways can you make a box, kwim?

For example, I just purchased a tutorial last night for the dresser made out of the matchboxes from the Sizzix die. Now, this is not a new idea at all. I could show you the package of stick match boxes I hunted all over for last decade so I could make one like I saw on Carol Duvall, lol. All you're really getting here is an old idea with a new presentation. In this case, InkingIdaho's tutorial includes so much extra that I had no problem with purchasing it. I'm really excited to play with it.

I read about a tiff not long ago about tutorials for a mini magazine holder. How ridiculous is that? As if people haven't been doing these things for ages! What happens all too often is that somebody sees a tut in one place, then sees somebody else's tut and fires off an angry post about it, without ANY investigation. If it's new to her, it must be new to the universe, right? Therefore her assumption is that Tut #2 is stolen....crazy but it happens far too frequently.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe these situations are another case of "Buyer Beware." I would always do my own search to see if I can find something I like for no charge before I decide to pay for it.

Others may like the convenience of "Oh, that's neat. I want it" and just order without researching.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmpldyView Post
I have noticed that trend. The ones I notice are out there for free, then you have demonstrators selling them on their blog, which wasn't their original. They are not the class planners. What happen to sharing?
I'm not sure I am following the question regarding sharing as it pertains to those who prefer to sell their tutorials, vs. those who opt to share them freely . . .
Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Yo! I have to agree with Betsy here. Not just tutorials, but card sketches also.

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
On the flip side, lol, another trend I see is that people seem to want to attach a particular project to one person, when in fact that idea has been around for ages. How many different ways can you make a box, kwim?

For example, I just purchased a tutorial last night for the dresser made out of the matchboxes from the Sizzix die. Now, this is not a new idea at all. I could show you the package of stick match boxes I hunted all over for last decade so I could make one like I saw on Carol Duvall, lol. All you're really getting here is an old idea with a new presentation. In this case, InkingIdaho's tutorial includes so much extra that I had no problem with purchasing it. I'm really excited to play with it.

I read about a tiff not long ago about tutorials for a mini magazine holder. How ridiculous is that? As if people haven't been doing these things for ages! What happens all too often is that somebody sees a tut in one place, then sees somebody else's tut and fires off an angry post about it, without ANY investigation. If it's new to her, it must be new to the universe, right? Therefore her assumption is that Tut #2 is stolen....crazy but it happens far too frequently.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:04 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Yo! I have to agree with Betsy here. Not just tutorials, but card sketches also.

Michelle
As I see it, at the end of the day there are only so many ways you can lay your elements on a page. And (as an origmai fan) there ARE so many ways you can make a box, but at the end of the day it's still got 4 sides and a base...it's not something new under the sun.
It's a bit like the music world, with only so many notes in the scale, it's no wonder that sometimes something sounds like something else, but it's very rare that plagiarism can actually be proved.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

This is just my opinion, so don't jump back at me if you don't agree.

This site is for sharing (not counting the forum that is understood is for selling), correct??

There have been some times that someone is looking for a tutorial on a particular project.....card, box, etc. Others respond with their own tutorial they have made up or a link to one on the internet. But some respond with a particular link to someone (who's name I don't recall) that does have some neat tutorials, but she does not share them, she sells them. It's not all that expensive, but none the less, this blogger does want money to "share" her tutorial. I feel we should not include links to tutorials that are wanting money for them. This being a sharing forum (other than one specific forum), we should only suggest tutorials that can be shared free of charge.

Again, this is just my opinion and I mean no offense to anyone who does charge, that's their choice.

Patti
Old 04-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

Good opinion. Worth sharing.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
This is just my opinion, so don't jump back at me if you don't agree.
No flames here--just offering an alternative opinion.

Quote:

This site is for sharing (not counting the forum that is understood is for selling), correct??
SCS facilitates communication and community among stampers. Tutorials sponsored/hosted by SCS are given freely. However, there is no expectation that anyone else who creates a tutorial is expected to share theirs freely; they are at liberty to do as they wish with tutorials they have authored. Some folks share, and others charge a fee.

Quote:

There have been some times that someone is looking for a tutorial on a particular project.....card, box, etc. Others respond with their own tutorial they have made up or a link to one on the internet. But some respond with a particular link to someone (who's name I don't recall) that does have some neat tutorials, but she does not share them, she sells them. It's not all that expensive, but none the less, this blogger does want money to "share" her tutorial.
I personally don't see anything wrong with someone preferring to sell their tutorials, as opposed to sharing them--I tip my hat to 'em for being astute enough to recognize that well done tutorials take a considerable amount of time and are a valuable service and commodity, and are worthy of charging a fee.

Quote:

I feel we should not include links to tutorials that are wanting money for them. This being a sharing forum (other than one specific forum), we should only suggest tutorials that can be shared free of charge.

Again, this is just my opinion and I mean no offense to anyone who does charge, that's their choice.

Patti
I'm not offended in the least, and do not intend offense with mine, as well!

I believe there are vast numbers of members on SCS that welcome being referred to tutorials of any kind--whether free or available for purchase. I know I certainly do!

I've always shared a great deal of what I know about stamping and projects that I create on my blog, but I choose not to offer tutorials freely on my blog for the very simple reason that they are time-consuming and an incredible amount of work to do well . . .

For those that give their tutorials freely, I think that's great if that's what they prefer, but, I have no objection whatsoever to links that lead to fee-based tutorials as well--if I want that specific information, and don't have the time or desire to put it together myself, I'll gladly pay the fee--they've done all the work to make it easy for me.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I also have no objection to purchasing templates if it is something unique and I can adapt it to many projects. I know several bloggers that sell them and also create some pretty fantastic idea sheets to go along with the templates. I am not very creative, so the idea sheets are an added plus.

I also appreciate all the wonderful free templates and tutorials here at SCS and at many blogs. I agree with Betsy that most templates have been out there for ages - any may just be variations of an old one. I do a pretty good search for free tutorials and templates before buying any.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Julie...you express yourself so well....

Creating tutorials in any form does consume an awful lot of time....been there, done that! I, too, have no problem with people selling their work if they have taken the time and effort to creating something which can be easily followed.

For those who only like to get free stuff...there is plenty out there to keep you occupied until this time next century....you just have to go to the resources here and then google it when you finish with what is to be found in there, to come up with a myriad and wealth of knowledge

If I felt I "needed" a tutorial which had a monetary value to it, I would most likely pay up...just so I could get my beady little eyes upon it! But then, having been addicted for as long as I have, and with the consideration that I do teach, I don't often come across something I need to pay for.

MHO, ladies

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
No flames here--just offering an alternative opinion.

SCS facilitates communication and community among stampers. Tutorials sponsored/hosted by SCS are given freely. However, there is no expectation that anyone else who creates a tutorial is expected to share theirs freely; they are at liberty to do as they wish with tutorials they have authored. Some folks share, and others charge a fee.

I personally don't see anything wrong with someone preferring to sell their tutorials, as opposed to sharing them--I tip my hat to 'em for being astute enough to recognize that well done tutorials take a considerable amount of time and are a valuable service and commodity, and are worthy of charging a fee.

I'm not offended in the least, and do not intend offense with mine, as well!

I believe there are vast numbers of members on SCS that welcome being referred to tutorials of any kind--whether free or available for purchase. I know I certainly do!

I've always shared a great deal of what I know about stamping and projects that I create on my blog, but I choose not to offer tutorials freely on my blog for the very simple reason that they are time-consuming and an incredible amount of work to do well . . .

For those that give their tutorials freely, I think that's great if that's what they prefer, but, I have no objection whatsoever to links that lead to fee-based tutorials as well--if I want that specific information, and don't have the time or desire to put it together myself, I'll gladly pay the fee--they've done all the work to make it easy for me.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am personally against people selling tutorials (just my opinion) but I truly believe in giving credit to those who post tutorials. I find so much wonderful information on this site that is great and I will always credit those who share them....
I guess it's just something that rubs me the wrong way as a demonstrator.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
I am personally against people selling tutorials (just my opinion) but I truly believe in giving credit to those who post tutorials. I find so much wonderful information on this site that is great and I will always credit those who share them....
As a demonstrator, you make commission for sharing your time and expertise, right? I don't see much difference with someone charging a fee for a tutorial, they spent their time and expertise creating it.

No offense intended, just an observation.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #16  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

thank goodness for SCS! all the tutorials I need!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
As a demonstrator, you make commission for sharing your time and expertise, right? I don't see much difference with someone charging a fee for a tutorial, they spent their time and expertise creating it.

No offense intended, just an observation.
To fellow demonstrators? That's my issue, and like I said only mine....
No offense taken...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes it is a very grey area as to where the credits should be given. There are many, many techniques out there which have been around for a very long time. Do you just credit where you last saw it/first saw...hey, even remember where it first popped up? In many instances it would be extremely difficult to accredit techs correctly. There are so many blogs/websites out there now with so many people doing up tutorials....very few are unique...same foundation ...just differently presented. I have techs here from the turn of the century which are popping up again in tute form on blogs....or in video form.

I don't see anything wrong in sharing...nor do I see anything wrong in tute selling if the time has gone into making it...I would like to see people add that some of these things they are tutorialising have been around for yonks.

I, too, don't see much of a difference with demonstrators....You do reap the benefits down the track from the demoing to the demos...even the entry level demos demo in the hope of selling goods and gaining a commission. Doesn't it all filter on up the ladder?

Of course, if I see something that I like...a sketch...a certain colour combo etc or a tech not visited for a while which has impressed me on another's blog, I will certainly link people to that blog....just so people can be reminded that whatever it is is still around.

IMHO ladies...please don't shoot me.

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm not a demonstrator so maybe my views doesn't count here. But I personally would not pay for a tutorial when there are so many available for free! I spend a ton of money on SU! supplies and other brands already so getting free instructions only seems fair. It would be like buying a cake mix and receiving no directions with it. JMHO
Old 04-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I would like to clarify a few things I wrote in my Post #9.

I was just meaning that I feel any links to tutorials posted in various threads in this forum, should not be ones we need to pay for. Since this site is meant for sharing our passion for paper crafting. I'm talking about people who just have a blog and want to sell tutorials to the rest of us. They are not a business, just people like you and me. If those people want to sell, that's fine, just don't post those links on these website forums.

I don't want to be directed to a link on this site to someone's blog that is selling tutorials. Exception.....businesses and Demonstrators (Demonstrators are a business as any other).

I am not meaning those that have an established business or Demonstrators. Those people are running a business and of course are looking to make some kind of profit. That's understandable. We know that when we go to their sites.

Again, these are just my opinions as others are also just giving their opinions, so don't jump on me if you don't agree.

Patti

Last edited by pjw2855; 04-20-2009 at 04:57 AM..
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not jumping on anyone, just giving my opinion.

I don't think it's fair to tell people what kinds of links to leave in their posts. If you don't want to buy a tutorial, then you have the right to make that choice. Maybe if people posted that they wanted FREE tutorials, that would be a valid request. Personally, I wouldn't buy a tutorial that I've seen dozens of times for free. I also won't buy .cut files for my Cricut DS when there are so many available for free.

Does that mean that people shouldn't be trying to make some money from all the work they put into their tutorials and projects/files? Absolutely not. If people are buying them, that's great.

SCS is indeed a place for sharing - sharing ideas as well as information. Just because I tell you where someone is selling something doesn't mean that you have to buy it.

Again, I'm not jumping on anyone here, just saying how I see it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by memaw2twoView Post
I'm not a demonstrator so maybe my views doesn't count here. But I personally would not pay for a tutorial when there are so many available for free! I spend a ton of money on SU! supplies and other brands already so getting free instructions only seems fair. It would be like buying a cake mix and receiving no directions with it. JMHO
I think everyone's views count here. Thank you for sharing yours.