Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Squirrel The Trouble with Cardstock

In your opinion what cardstock weight is best for handmade greeting cards? For printed-at-home cards?

110 lb measures the same thickness as most store-bought cards I receive, but it doesn't go through many printers used at home.

65 lb seems too flimsy for a card base for stamping/dies, etc.

I've ordered some 80 lb cardstock, but it seems more expensive than heavier stock.

What's a card-maker to do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Insane Embellisher

80 lb Neenah solar white classic crest smooth goes through one of the family printers just fine but not my big HP printer. 110 lb won’t work in either of my printers. I agree 65 is pretty flimsy. I like to use the 110 lb for the card base and layer the 80 lb as a panel or as die cuts to that. That may not fit your style of cardmaking though.
Paula in GA and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I typically layer my cards, 110# for my card base and lower weight for image panel. The paper type is based on printing or stamping and coloring medium. The 65# is great for mats and frames.

Join me in some challenges! Click the below links for details.
September 2018 Cutting Class Fan Club Challenge
Dirty Dozen Christmas Challenge
Ways to Use It Challenge

And be sure to share some love by posting your Favorites!
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

~200gsm (grams per square metre) is the standard I use for card bases, because when I do make cards I tend to do piecework and it gets lots of layers. 200gsm goes in our Epson inkjet printer just fine. I have some 300gsm for extra sturdiness required projects, and that does not go through the inkjet.

I can't fathom the US model of paper weight as there's no less than 5+ overlapping systems of 'pound' measurements, and they're all different depending if it's letterstock, coverstock, paperstock, cardstock, etc. Even more insane than the usual 'freedom units' nonsense. I have no idea how you all cope. ;__;
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #5
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embri View Post
~200gsm (grams per square metre) is the standard I use for card bases, because when I do make cards I tend to do piecework and it gets lots of layers. 200gsm goes in our Epson inkjet printer just fine. I have some 300gsm for extra sturdiness required projects, and that does not go through the inkjet.

I can't fathom the US model of paper weight as there's no less than 5+ overlapping systems of 'pound' measurements, and they're all different depending if it's letterstock, coverstock, paperstock, cardstock, etc. Even more insane than the usual 'freedom units' nonsense. I have no idea how you all cope. ;__;

It ain't easy.

For years, I've wished the US paper manufacturers would adopt the gsm standard. I've done this for years, so I know what to look for, but for the newbies, I imagine it could be a nightmare.