Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #41
Glitter Guru

I wish schools around here wanted stuff. I called schools and even talked to a couple of teachers and they didn’t want 12x12 paper, coloring mediums, etc.

Another interesting wrinkle was Ronald McDonald House. The owner of an LSS contacted one to offer new, free supplies right off the racks. They did want some, but gave her the largest size of the box they could accept, which wasn’t very big due to space limitations. So just showing up with stuff may create a burden or awkwardness for the organization if they can’t take it.

Some nonprofit thrift shops accept craft supplies; some don’t. My go-to does, but I’m careful to put like items in see-through bags or in one case had mesh zippered bags - the type Studio Calico used to provide (and maybe they still do). So bags were either packed with embellishments, paper, almost whole kits, dies, stamps, mediums, etc. I was going through it all anyway, so it really didn’t add much time and it could be easier for them to sell and make more money to help their cause. It was kind of fun due to my weird brain.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Catherine773 and joniworx like this post.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #42
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I wish schools around here wanted stuff.
What she said. I've also been turned down by public schools in my area (haven't tried any private; maybe I should).

But I've had better luck with senior centers and (one) nursing home. If you wind up donating, maybe you could try one of those.

That said, I've become a lot quicker to stick paper in the recycling bin as a result of the difficulty of donating.

Sorry this is so discouraging; I'm sure you have some good papers. We all think our supplies are worth something because, well, they weren't free to us, were they? The irony is that we who think they're worth something are often the very ones with too much already.

I hope you're able to stick with your original plan and sell it.
Catherine773 likes this post.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #43
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
But I've had better luck with senior centers and (one) nursing home. If you wind up donating, maybe you could try one of those.

I didn't think of donating to senior centers, thank you for that suggestion.
With that in mind I'm wondering if the city's park & recreation centers that offer a kids program would like the paper, etc...

One of the LSS in my area has an annual crafters parking lot sale in front of her store. You reserve a table for $20 and haul out you crafty castaways for a fraction of the price new. Last year one lady sold her TH electric die cut machine for $25! Magazines go for .50 to $1 (I collect Stampington magazines for reference), I also got a bag of Speedball brayers w/multiple rollers for $3! It's great! And, the store owner is very busy with sales from her store.
Maybe you could talk to a LSS owner in your area and suggest an event.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #44
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

OH! I forgot - which is embarrassing because I'm the admin of our local group - there's an AMAZING project - the Buy Nothing Project. It operates through Facebook group and is very simple - there are two types of posts: gives, where a person gives freely as an opportunity to create community, meet neighbors, help a neighbor, and asks - where a neighbor with a need is looking for something specific you can help with.

Read more and find your local group here: https://buynothingproject.org/

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Catherine773, One4Joy, joniworx and 1 others like this post.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #45
Glitter Guru

How wonderful. No FB for me but you reminded me of The Freecycle Network - a grassroots nonprofit group for giving or getting stuff free. It’s worldwide.

For those who donate (or buy or sell) through FB, Craigs List, etc., and need to meet the buyer/seller/getter in person, some police stations in the U.S. have instituted “safe trade zones.” http://www.safetradestations.com/saf...tion-list.html