Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
CCR is cumbersome.

Silhouette you need to download Silhouette Design Studio. It's free. Here's the link- Silhouette - Download New Software

Install the software. It's just a simple installation. Turn on your Silhouette and your ready to go.

There is a Windows Bug in Windows 7 that will say it didn't find the driver or properly install it. Just ignore that.

Here's a great group to help you with your Silhouette. It's the Silhouette Plus group- Error. I know this reads as error. Don't ask me why. I think it's the way I am plugging the URL in. It will take you to the site.

My friend Debbie is the owner of that site. She also has her great blog with Silhouette tutorials- Paper Pulse Blog Spot. She also has a You Tube channel with lots of tutorials.

I used to post and help out at the Silhouette plus group. I had to stop due to a couple of Cricut haters over there harassing me. I didn't want to bug Debbie about it. Her StepFather was dying at the time. I would have felt mean. I do miss the board.

That should give you a good starting point.

Ok, I am done blabbing now. I know you are all going thank gosh. I don't know what got into me posting all those replies. I will regret it next time I log in. I think I am having an emotional week losing my cat, Aurora shootings. I know two people who were hurt. They will be ok though. I am heat beat.
Thank you! I hope my brain can work with this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
Die Cut Diva

I take back what I said about the Cricut MB changing. It was pretty hostile over there today. I didn't even log in. I checked three threads and said "Wow!" I was gone. I am sorry if you all went over there and wondering what the heck I was talking about it being different.

Today was the big MB chat with Nathan. Apparently they revamped the Circle. I am not in the Circle. The Circle and Non-Circle girls were not too happy about it. There is a thread over there addressing it. They are revamping the Rewards program. Nothing was said about the machines except a very veiled answer about the Gypsy I didn't really like.

I am starting to get a sick feeling they are not going to be able to remove our cartridges from the Gypsy and if they can it's going to be a very big time consuming job for the owners.

Tonight my DH & I decided we want to drop Windows from our systems and go straight to Linux. We dual boot right now. We are both long time Linux users. I am good at writing drivers. I won't be able to write a driver for my Cricut because PC frowns on stuff like that. I am going to use my Gazelle in Linux. I am going to see if Silhouette will be cool with me writing a driver for their machines. They usually have been a great company to Linux users.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
I was being a bit facetious when mentioning the blood diamonds. I admire you for being able to give them another chance, especially after the other issues you endured. It would take a lot for them to earn my trust back.
I understand now. I have been sensitive and emotional this week. Big Hugs!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMeg View Post
It does sound as thought the new CEO knows which end is up, but if we're stuck with carts that are linked to with Gs that won't be supported/updated, there will be a revolt that'll make the war over third-party software look like a playground skirmish.
I know! I am sick about it. Cricut WWIV! I don't even know what to do right now. My DH told me tonight to sell the thing and get my doll I am saving up for. I don't think they will be able to get our cartridges off of there. It sounds like whoever designed the Gypsy made that impossible. If we are able too it's going to be a time consuming hassle.

A lot of the Gypsies are starting to break. PC is no longer making them. There are no other options for us if it does break to link our cartridges to the Cricut.com account so they will be safe. The answer they gave on the chat today is that we will have a fix for something but it is a few months away.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #45
Glitter Queen

I am sorry to hear that they are getting rid of the Imagine! How are we suppoosed to get replacement mats and ink carts?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #46
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the update, DeeAnn.

As bad as the news regarding the Gypsy is right now, I think PC is motivated to get the carts unlinked now that they won't support the it (the G). I honestly feel there will be lawsuits if the carts cannot be unlinked, and I assume PC is thinking along the same lines.

PC is still selling Gypsys, which ticks me off since they know people will be permanently (for now, at least) linking their carts to a machine that's dead in the water.

For me, the G is my substitute for CCR, so even though I'm certainly no fan of the Cricut system, I hope they come out with a new and improved Gypsy -- one that does not require "permanent" linking. (And they'll have to figure out how we can unlink carts from our "old" Gs if they ever want us to buy new ones. I think this is even a bigger motivator to figure out how to unlink carts. If they want to sell new Gs to people who have proven they want such an item, they'll have to figure this out.)

Even better, PC could come out with a fantastic open design software that is not online only, and please just about everyone.

I've got too much money invested in carts (carts that are "permanently" linked to my G) to simply walk away from the system. I'm not buying new carts, but I want to be able to use what I have.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd definitely go with the Silhouette. It is so simple to use and you can literally design what you want. Love the fact there are no cartridges.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #48
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmissmel View Post
I am sorry to hear that they are getting rid of the Imagine! How are we suppoosed to get replacement mats and ink carts?
I am pretty sure we will be able to get replacement mats. PC did say they are still supporting the Imagine. They just won't be making them anymore. There is a new patent out for the "new" Imagine. I know they are releasing new cartridges. The big "If" about our ink cartridges will be HP. HP will need to produce our ink. There is so much going back and fourth with that company it makes PC look like child's play, lol. I see HP staying around for printers long term.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMeg View Post
Thanks for the update, DeeAnn.

As bad as the news regarding the Gypsy is right now, I think PC is motivated to get the carts unlinked now that they won't support the it (the G). I honestly feel there will be lawsuits if the carts cannot be unlinked, and I assume PC is thinking along the same lines.

PC is still selling Gypsys, which ticks me off since they know people will be permanently (for now, at least) linking their carts to a machine that's dead in the water.

For me, the G is my substitute for CCR, so even though I'm certainly no fan of the Cricut system, I hope they come out with a new and improved Gypsy -- one that does not require "permanent" linking. (And they'll have to figure out how we can unlink carts from our "old" Gs if they ever want us to buy new ones. I think this is even a bigger motivator to figure out how to unlink carts. If they want to sell new Gs to people who have proven they want such an item, they'll have to figure this out.)

Even better, PC could come out with a fantastic open design software that is not online only, and please just about everyone.

I've got too much money invested in carts (carts that are "permanently" linked to my G) to simply walk away from the system. I'm not buying new carts, but I want to be able to use what I have.
I hope PC is motivated to get the carts off our Gypsies. I do feel the same way you do there are going to be lawsuits galore and they know that. Honestly, I think a lot of PC users are wanting to sue and that will do it. I still feel sick about it. We know how PC went back and fourth with unlinking/linking news so I am a little leery of them but I still have hope. If there wasn't a new CEO I would be in tears about this.

PC found some Gypsies in their warehouse last week and told everyone to come and get them because after that the Gypsy is gone. Mercy had a thread about it over at the board. A lot of girls were buying backups. PC was telling the girls not to register the new G's because they won't be able to link their cartirdges or something like that.

I would love an Open Source design software for Cricut. That would be a luxury. I just installed Linux Mint tonight. I know how Cricut is too Linux and Open Source users. I already got threatened for writing a driver. Maybe the new CEO will be better. Logitech always seems to be Linux friendly.

I am going to try and get Silhouette Studio to work with my Cameo this weekend in Linux. If that is a headache I will try the Gazelle and Inkscape. I am pretty sure I can get Inkscape and Gazelle to work.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

First, DeeAnn, so sorry to hear about all your trials and ugly treatment by people. I wonder what goes through peoples minds when they think that it is acceptable and right to do and say such things .

I have a CE and about 25 carts (not near the amount others do) I held off purchasing one for a long time because of the cart issues. I finally did because of the 3rd party software and the ability to create my own images and use other SVG files. I could never get great clean cuts the majority of the time. It (mine) also wouldn't cut the intricate ones that I like, cleanly. But, when I purchased it I didn't know of the other cutters out there (I didn't really do any "homework" about it).

After getting my feet wet with the CE and not being happy with the 3rd party lawsuit by PC, I never updated, purchased a Gypsy or CCR, I began looking into another machine with "more power", argh argh agrh.

I had purchased SCAL2, liked it and found it easy to use, yet again, I didn't check out MTC, duh . I did my homework this time and compared machines and saw the new KNK Zing with MTC software. I liked that it had more cutting power, cut way more media (see youtube vids on it doing so), it would cut the icing sheets without having to purchase a dedicated machine the Cake.

People said it had a bit of a learning curve, but I was cutting with it right out of the box the same day I received it. I LOVE IT!! I love MTC also and creating my own designs and using the endless ones out there also (they are easy to modify also).

Best thing is CLEAN CUTS!!! (with correct settings, easy to determine). If you just want a "plug n play", no fuss (realively) machine, and you don't mind the carts, then the CE is for you. If you want more freedom from the carts to use and purchase/design what you want in images, more power, better consistency you might want to upgrade to one of the other machines. Either way, don't be like me and NOT do your homework first!

On the issue of the linked Gypsy carts - wouldn't the problem be solved if they just sent you another unlinked cart to replace the ones that are linked? After all it is just a glorified data stick (the cart) with saved images on it. I'm not an a techie, but couldn't they create/send you a "loadable" "cart" and then let you download all the carts you have linked on the Gypsy onto it thereby freeing them from the Gypsy? That very issue, access of the images on the carts (saving them to MTC) at first (then removed from MTC) was able to be done, then it CAN be done, by them. I mean they sold the defective machines that never really worked, it seems as if they should/could do something to make the problem right.

Whatever way you go, good luck and have fun with whatever you choose!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea777 View Post
On the issue of the linked Gypsy carts - wouldn't the problem be solved if they just sent you another unlinked cart to replace the ones that are linked? After all it is just a glorified data stick (the cart) with saved images on it. I'm not an a techie, but couldn't they create/send you a "loadable" "cart" and then let you download all the carts you have linked on the Gypsy onto it thereby freeing them from the Gypsy? That very issue, access of the images on the carts (saving them to MTC) at first (then removed from MTC) was able to be done, then it CAN be done, by them. I mean they sold the defective machines that never really worked, it seems as if they should/could do something to make the problem right.

Whatever way you go, good luck and have fun with whatever you choose!
Hmmm... I thought that, then I thought how would they determine that because didn't a lot of people sell their uploaded carts. So who gets to claim the "cartridge" then?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

That may be one of their "considerations" as to a fix as well. Some have entered their carts on the reward site and have a record of what they had, or at least some of what they had. But, many did not, and, it doesn't take care of the ones that have sold their carts either. Tough problem, one that will require both sides to compromise a bit to solve it, I think.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #53
Stampin' Fool

Wow. I sure wish I had read this posting a few months ago. My husband surprised me with a ricut at xmas. I was elated at the time (he did this without my asking) but have not yet even tried using it. I did get the gypsy also but do not know how to work any of it!!
I wish I knew more about th whole Surecuts software thing, and the Solhouette advantages. Oh well. I will use this one, if I can figure it out, for the next couple years I guess!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #54
Die Cut Diva

I am officially done with ProvoCraft. I said I would give them a year to change. I always try to have faith in people and companies. I received unprofessional treatment by one of their employees this weekend. Whether it's a misunderstanding or not she is a face of ProvoCraft and one of their reps. I feel their employees should act professional whether they are paid or not.

I don't want to go into what happened because it's here nor there and just will stir up more drama. I know us Cricut users are so tired of the drama.

I know a lot of the girls/guys who post over here see Cricut as a craft tool. Then you have the group that sees it as a community. I am one of those that allowed my community and emotional attachment to Cricut friends get in the way of making good decisions on purchases and customer service. Shoot, I was so mad tonight but I was still being sweet to the girls over there because I didn't want to be mad and be the mean girl and keep things positive. The more I thought about it the more I got mad.

I saw this great quote this weekend-You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughta be. -Elizabeth Gilbert

I really need to practice that. I can say tonight I got hit with a bucket full of ice water. I really need to look at ProvoCraft as a company. This company can not provide me with trusted customer service.

I do think the Cricut is an excellent machine that has a definite customer base. I wish them well. I would like to have a die cutter I feel comfortable using that is fun and I am not so emotionally wrapped up in. I would like to use a die cutter without looking at it and remembering how I got attacked by their employees on a suggestion thread.

I won't be doing Cricut help any more. I am really sorry. I will help out with other cutter questions. So, no fear. I am going to concentrate on my Silhouette Cameo.

Good news I got my Silhouette Studio to work on LinuxMint. Bad news I didn't like LinuxMint. I do recommend it highly. I am so ingrained using SUSE it was just weird for me using another distro.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #55
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjblack3 View Post
I received a bonus and I'm thinking I'd like to add a cricut to my tool collection. Not having paid any attention to it, I'd love a recommendation on which one to get? I've been using the Big Shot and I like it, but I think I would use the cricut a bit more. I'm trying to get into more 3D things and I do more cards than scrapbooks.

What is your recommendation and why? Thanks for your help!
I have the first Cricut and the air Cricut. I like the air Cricut best. Once you get the cartridges loaded, you don't need to pull out your cartridges anymore. They keep improving them.