Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a masking trick I don't know?

I just found this site and I am in heaven! I gathered a ton of great ideas for my stamp sets in the gallery, but I noticed a lot of masking used to make stamps more versatile. In particular, Nice & Easy Notes had a lot that masked out the phrase above the character ... and Forever Friends had masked out the inner tube and other elements on that stamp.

I can figure out how to do a mask ... stamp the image on paper, cut out the image, and put it in place so you can stamp over/around it. But I'd love to know if there's more of a trick to it than this? In particular, if you know you want to block something out like that inner tube on the mouse "Friends" stamp.

A related question, how do you hold down small bits of paper when you're masking?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Let's see if I can help you any -

regarding holding down little bits of paper, I use a 2 way glue pen. Put a little of the glue on the back of your mask and let it dry (before you use it as a mask!). Then the glued piece of paper will be like a post-it note - the glue will not be permanent and you can re-use the mask again and again.

When I want to block something out on a stamp (like the innertube), I just use little pieces of tape and tape over the images that I don't want stamped. Then, pull the tape of BEFORE you stamp (I have ruined so many pieces of cs because I don't remember to pull off the tape).

Hope this helps.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 03:52 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

When I do masking, I stamp the image onto a post-it note, making sure that part of the image is stamped over where the sticky stuff is on the backside. Then cut out the image and start masking! The sticky stuff from the post-it note holds the mask in place and won't damage the cardstock, then I stick the mask onto the box lid from the stamp set so I have it to use again later! Works like a charm! If you are doing a larger stamp, then try some of the larger post-it notes...

As for blocking parts of an image, I do the same as Kathy mentioned above, or I ink my stamp and use a q-tip to wipe off the areas I don't want to use. (Except when using black pad--it doesn't usually come off enough to get a clean image.) If i'm stamping in a color other than black, I also use my markers to color the area I want to use, then huff it (breathe (NOT blow) across the inked stamp to moisten the ink before stamping) and stamp!

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 05:11 AM   #4  
mothermcbride

I put Dotto repositionable on the back of my masks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2005, 04:19 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Sometimes I just color the stamp with the markers and leave blank the part I don't want to stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another trick not mentioned in the above posts is to make sure to cut your mask slightly smaller than the image. This will eliminate blank spaces between the images.
There are also products that you can apply to your dry stamped image, let dry, and stamp over with your second image. When you're done, just rub off the masking medium. One I've used is called Miskit Friskit. It's available at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding the Nice & Easy Note cards you saw in the gallery that didn't contain the sentiment...it might also be a trick some of us do in cutting & mounting new stamps...I separate the words from the image (cut them apart) and mount the sentiment separately on the side of the stamp. This way, the image and sentiment can be used independently without the need of masking - like getting 2 stamps in one. Naturally, this trick only works with smaller sentiments that will actually fit on the stamp's side.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbiS
Sometimes I just color the stamp with the markers and leave blank the part I don't want to stamp.
Yup, that's what I do too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #9  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glittergal
Regarding the Nice & Easy Note cards you saw in the gallery that didn't contain the sentiment...it might also be a trick some of us do in cutting & mounting new stamps...I separate the words from the image (cut them apart) and mount the sentiment separately on the side of the stamp. This way, the image and sentiment can be used independently without the need of masking - like getting 2 stamps in one. Naturally, this trick only works with smaller sentiments that will actually fit on the stamp's side.
I also trim most of my words from my stamps. A little love- I went through and remounted all of them without the words attached. MUCH more versatile!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 02:52 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I also use post it notes for most of my masks... trim then slightly smaller to avoid the Halo effect. Then I put all my masks in a little baggie the kind used for coins etc and keep them inside the stamp set ready for use again. I love this tech. and my gals thought I was the wonder woman of stamping!

Funny huh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Eclipse Tape

Another really awesome masking product is eclipse tape. It's mildly tacky but comes off the paper easily. It comes in rolls and strips both of which are useful for different things. Another tip is to store the mask on the stamp itself when you are done so if you want to mask again it is right there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Post It notes for masking and I love my stampin spots for inking one part of the stamp and leaving out another part. They are small enough to give you a lot of control of where you want the ink placed.
Reply With Quote Likes